Anastasia Of Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.5

on 8/13/2016 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Love hate relationship with this palette. Love the variety of shades, blendability, and packaging. However I hate that when you barely touch your brush in the matte shades, TONS of powder goes flying everywhere. I feel like it's wasting product and I end up having to blow it away. The shimmery shadows don't do that. That being said, you can create a lot of different eye looks with this palette which I appreciate.

on 8/5/2016 11:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

***I only indicated that I wouldn't repurchase this because I never repurchase palettes (i've never finished one tbh).***

I absolutely love this palette. It's got way more pigment than the Self Made palette, which was a sour disappointment. It is so buttery soft and pigmented, dare I say, more smooth and buttery than the Lorac Pro palettes and/or the Too Faced palettes. All of these shades are so beautifu and unique, and glide on effortlessly. I ABSOLUTELY HATE the felt packaging though, I've had this a week and it already looks dingy and gross :(

on 6/29/2016 3:36:00 PM

I didn't purchase this, but borrowed from a friend. The quality is amazing and I love the nude shades. Golden ocher in particular is a great transition shade, and the shimmers are pigmented without fallout. Every color is smooth and pigmented, there are no random chunky or overly sheer shadows here. I won't purchase and wouldn't repurchase because bright reds and pinks are very unflattering on me. Also, I am usually more of a shimmer eyeshadow fan, so I have no need for this palette as it is majority matte. But I am writing this to say that if you do like those shades and do want a matte palette, this is a great palette and a good choice. I could very easily see it being HG for many people. I am very much hoping that Anastasia makes another palette of similar quality that is more towards my liking colorwise.

on 6/27/2016 12:32:00 PM

I wanted this pallet the minute I saw it. I was attracted like a moth to the flame. I have been disappointed with other brands releases for summer and fall so I felt justified in purchasing this.

The FORMULATION of the eyeshadows found in the Modern Renaissance pallet is beautiful. The shadows are soft and creamy texture wise, reminding me of the formulation of Lorac, Makeup Forever or Natasha Denona. Modern Renaissance is the first eye shadow pallet I have purchased from ABH; therefore, I can't really compare the quality of the shadows to previous brand releases. The eyeshadows apply, blend so easily and look fresh after a full day of wear and they are true to pan on the lids.

Usually I write a pro's and con's but with this palette I really don't have enough to complain about. The worst crime ABH has committed in creating this pallet is with the packaging. In my opinion, the PACKAGING doesn't really fit the theme "modern renaissance" and I think they could have done a lot more. Also, to state the obvious, the fuzz is a dirt attractor. I depotted the Naked 1 for this reason and then rarely used it after. I also dislike the brush. In one sense it feels cheep and then in another it feels like a step up. Either way it feels drugstore synthetic and I prefer the animal hairs in general for eyeshadow.

The SHADE RANGE is quite beautiful and was love at first site. Individually, similar shades can be found in other pallets but to have them all together in such a shade range is what really makes this pallet unique. I can get a diversity of more natural shades but also a diversity of vibrant looks and even over the top looks.

Obvious DUPE is Lime Crime's Venus pallet. ABH's formula is far superior and the shadows are more finely milled and creamier; however, if you prefer a dryer shadow formulation then check out Venus. None of the shadows are exact shades dupes but close variations of every shadow in the Venus, except for Shell, can be found in Modern Renaissance. Modern Renaissance offers more diversity in shades and thus can range from a more wearable to an over the top look.

If your looking through all of these reviews trying to decide if this is a need, I say take the dive. This pallet is very different. I am enabling you to do it!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

There's a lot I love about this palette. The shade range, names, softness, pigment, and the Renaissance theme. It's a beautiful palette for fall, but to me the shades are not what I'd wear for summer. What I don't like is the price increase, the fact that this is listed as only good for six months (yes, just six months), the amount you get total seems like a rip off, and the kick up of fallout. If you use the brush it comes with you're going to hit pan in no time and waste a lot of shadow. What you want to do is go in with a flat brush or an extremely soft blending brush, and barely tap each shadow to get the pigment on it.

on 6/15/2016 5:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

If I could, I would give this palette a 4.5. I will break this review down into a few categories.

Cost/ Value:
This palette is $42 USD for ~0.28 oz of eyeshadow and a double-sided brush. The eyeshadow singles are ~0.059 oz for $12 each, or 4 for $40 USD. If my 2AM math is correct, that would be 0.236 oz of eyeshadow for $40. So, compared to the single shadows, the palette is slightly cheaper per oz. That being said, the amount is spread over 14 shadows instead of 4, so you are getting a lot less in each shadow, and the palette has less product than other palettes like the Naked or Chocolate Bar series. $42 is cheaper than a lot of palettes on the market and, while the total volume is significantly lower than other options, when was the last time you actually panned a whole palette?

I find the shadow quality to live up to the single shadow standards, something that isn't always true of large palettes. You will hit pan on these shades a lot faster, but I would rather pay for a quality product and use it up than have it sitting in my collection for years on end. I enjoy the brush included and use it often. The blender side is small enough for crease shades but fluffy enough to blend & diffuse color. The more flat end is perfect for more precise placement and packing on color.

Shade Selection
This palette has a distinct color range: very warm, lots of reds and oranges, good range of light, mid-tone, and deep. When you take a closer look, there are a few cooler toned shades to give variety that also work well with the warm shades without clashing. Color choice is a very subjective topic, but in my opinion the shades were well thought out and extremely cohesive. You can create a large range of looks for any occasion using the shades provided- there are both colorful and neutral mid-toned crease shades so this can swing in either the natural/ work-appropriate or trendy/ artistic directions.

I really enjoy the amount of mattes in the palette. My biggest criticism of the Naked palettes is the number of shimmery shades prevent you from creating a larger variety of looks. The mattes in this palette give you great versatility. The only thing I would have changed is to switch Vermeer or Primavera for a deeper gold/ copper for the lid, as these two shades look very similar once applied, and swapping Venetian Red or Love Letter for a deep burgundy or black, as those two also appear very similar on the lid. Aside from that, I have no complaints and as someone with a large collection of ABH single shadows, I am glad they took a departure from the neutrals.

Formula
If you are familiar with ABH shadows, I find the quality to be identical to that found in the single shadows. The mattes are softer & kick up more powder than the regular ultra mattes- I find them to match more closely with the Velvet formulation (like Dusty Rose). The shimmers are the same texture as the permanent shimmers, maybe a bit softer. They apply with full pigment and blend effortlessly. The mattes can be applied with a fluffy brush for a sheer wash, but can easily be packed on without becoming patchy. The shimmers can bunch up a bit when you go in too hard with your brush but smooth out nicely on the eye. They last all day with eye primer, but I do not typically have issues with lasting power as my eyelids are very dry. These do not emphasize my dryness or make my lids look crepe-y. My biggest complaint is that the mattes can muddy up a bit because they are so soft and easy to blend. It is difficult to get a lot of definition like you would need for a cut crease. I find sticking to 2-3 shades prevents the colors from muddying, but if you like to use a lot of different shadows and layering them just know it might not work with this formula.

Packaging
I'm not in love with the package on this palette. The outside is a lovely light pink, but it is made of velvet and I know it will be dirty in no time. The top is also a bit flimsy and folds all the way back, like in previous palettes. These aren't deal breakers for me and it's not a hinderance when using the palette, it's just not as nice as other palettes on the market (but if it helps keep the cost down, I'm not complaining).

Overview
All in all, I am completely in love with this palette. The cost is average for the amount provided, but I am a believer in quality over quantity. I am a single shadow lover and have 2 large custom palettes; once I had those, I got rid of all of my large mainstream palettes because I do not like having shades go unused. Shade selection is very personal & subjective, but this is the first palette in years that I have truly loved every shade and had some kind of use for. They will work with a wide variety of skin tones/ undertones, and orangey-red complements most eye colors. The quality is consistent with their single shadows and are a dream to work with once you know not to use too many colors because they can get muddy. I applaud ABH for stepping outside of that neutral territory for their first permanent palette, and I can't wait to see what else they have in store. I recommend this to someone who is tired of all-neutral palettes, someone who likes warm toned shades but doesn't want to deal with social media brands like the Morphe 35O or the Violet Voss Holy Grail, or someone interested in a warm grunge palette but doesn't want to buy the LC Venus.

on 11/17/2017 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I am tardy to the party on this one. This is a fantastic, high quality palette. The shadows are so smooth and almost creamy. They blend like a dream. I am no make up artist but this palette truly makes it easy. Never in a million years did I think I would like or even wear Venetian Red but I do and it looks so pretty. The only think I don't like is the packaging. The velvet case is impractical but it is pretty.

Simply Amazing quality! The slightest dip in the pan can paint your entire eyelid, and SO blendable as well!! I can blend these shadows in around 5 mins, which helps a LOT when you're getting ready for work. The only fault is that I dislike the two pink shadows (love letter and Venetian red). I simply dislike their shades. And there's only one shadow that really gives dimension to the look (deep matte brown). But I'm not about to give it less than 5* because the overall quality is above everything else on the market. That's right - there's this palette and everything else as far as eyemakeup falls under second category.

People who critique the packaging tend to forget they get an awesome double-ended brush in the palette. This brush should account for the packaging and not the velvety cover!

Buy this if you don't mind the reds, and if you do mind them (like me) simply get some single eyeshadows that have depth (deep browns, purples, dark duochromes etc..). But buy Modern Reneissance anyway :)

on 11/11/2017 4:21:00 AM

Absolutely beautiful product. Applies and blends like a dream, and I have already hit pan on half the palette. I will say there is sometimes some minor fallout, but I do my eyemakeup first, so its not really an issue for me. The packaging does get dirty easily, I find, but other wise, I highly recommend this product.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I don’t like spending a lot of money on eyeshadow palettes...I like versatility and many palettes only do one type of look or aren’t easy to blend. I’m still figuring out and experimenting with eyeshadow techniques and looks so I’ve usually stuck to brown and nuetral shades...a bit more forgiving but not as dramatic. I really wanted a fall/holiday themed palette and it was down to the Modern Renaissance of UD Heat. I watched a ton of YouTube videos and finally decided to try this because of the wide range of colors as compared to the more orange shades on Heat.
It is incredibly pigmented and creamy...I feel like you could be a total nube with eyeshadows and this would still blend beautifully. I even stopped watching tutorials and just played with the colors on my own (which is HUGE because I am really not that good with dramatic eye makeup and it usually ends up looking muddy or splotchy) but all of these work together beautifully and I always get compliments....it’s probably because I usually don’t wear colors like this.
I noticed a few beauty gurus saw it is only for bold looks but TBH, I’ve used it for very neutral, romantic looks too! I avoid the darker and more shimmery shades and it creates a really pretty, soft look.
Regardless of your ability, this is a really nice palette, I haven’t tried the brush it comes with because I just recently upgraded my brushes to the Sigma set and I’ve been playing around with those.