Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.5

on 11/15/2016 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I had a drawer full of shimmer & metallic eyeshadows that went mostly unused for a long while because I had very few mattes for crease/transition shades to use along with them. I decided to do something about it and buy this all-matte palette. Am I ever glad I did, holy moly.

The shades are put into 3 quads - neutral, cool, and warm - each containing 1 base shade, 1 contour, 1 define, and 1 highlight shade. The shades are very versatile, so now I can use pretty much every single shimmer shadow I own. Problem solved! I also find that you can mix and match from each quad without the colours clashing.
One thing I absolutely LOVE is that they actually used a much larger pan for the base colours! So there will be no hitting pan on those shades first while all the other shades are mostly full. I hate when that happens, so I am very pleased about this!
The formula is very blendable and I did not notice any kick-up or fallout. Super long-wearing with my usual primers. Pigmentation is most definitely there. It's weird because it shows up so intensely on my lid even though the swatches on my inner arm looked average. I was super surprised by how fantastic the pigment is on the lid.

The packaging is gorgeous and the mirror is perfect. I can see my whole face in it at a comfortable distance. Stays closed nice and securely. Feels sturdy, like I wouldn't be afraid to travel with it. Seriously though, it's so beautiful and looks awesome on my vanity.

Price is on par with most other palettes I own. A small investment but well worth it. I'm gonna get so much use out of this. If i could give it 10 lippies I would!

on 11/12/2016 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

The palette itself is laid out in a user-friendly manner, with three functional "quads" - one more neutral, one cooler, one warmer. You can mix and match across the board, but the way the shades are arranged makes the palette very accessible for a makeup newbie trying to build a cohesive eye look.
The shades are matte, with the three palest having an incredibly subtle satin finish, barely perceptible as a sheen once applied.
These strike a near-perfect balance between smooth and dense. I had no issues getting these eye shadows to do what I wanted them to do. Haze out a soft transition... Easy. Build up a serious smokey eye... No problem. Deepen a crease with perfect accuracy, or soften the edge of a winged eyeliner... Done and done.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

~squee~
yes i really did that.

this eye palette is amazing. it's purely matte, so if you're looking for something that doesn't shimmer and shine, this is for you. you can do a neutral day eye, or a bold smokey eye with this with hardly any effort at all. the colors are rich and pigmented and blend easily. i find that even though it looks pretty basic, i have created a lot of different looks with it!

on 10/28/2016 11:35:00 AM

SHADES. This was my first pallet ever. I learned to apply and blend eyeshadows with this and I think it's great for people who are just starting out. The colors are easy to use for everyday, be it an office or university. The shade selection is great because you can discover what type of shades look best on you and experiment with them. I personally love warm colors, so I use Laetus and Lucius the most. But I think Ludwin, Latinus and Sytry look great on everyone.

FORMULA. They are very pigmented, soft and easy to blend, which I find is great for beginners just like me. I haven't experience any fallout though I have read some people have. They last all day with a primer, but I find they do fade if I forget to use one. All in all I think this is a great product and is versatile enough for a neutral/brown pallet.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I use the palette every day. If you're at the point where you're developing fine lines and other problems that just come with age (mine are very minor, slight cross-hatching under my eyes and near my upper lashes when you're really close up) and you just don't want to bring attention to them, matte shadows are for you.

These are very pigmented, and require a light hand. I don't find them particularly difficult to blend, even when my UD eye primer on. They last all day, even without primer.

There will be fallout. It makes no difference to me, as I have always done my eyes before applying my foundation to the face. Why? Because then fallout is irrelevant to my life. But in fairness, I took off half a lippy for the fallout factor. I do not find them to be 'chalky'. I've had my fair share of crappy, chalky drug-store products and this is NOT chalky.

I took off an additional half-lippy because two of the browns to swatch very similarly once on the eye, and that's a shame bc they did so well otherwise. I've been able to create one five-minute everyday look, and after playing around a bit, I can put together 4 to 5 obviously different looks and probably another 2 that start to overlap. Keep in mind, this is a neutral palette, and I am not a makeup guru, so I would consider that a pretty good selection of looks. If it matters, since I got this palette my husband has commented on how he can't figure what I'm doing differently, but how nice my eyes look. I also consider this a win for this palette.

My daughter also has this, and she likes it as a neutral palette, though she finds it more limiting than I do. She still uses it as a shape and contour most days, and fills in her 'look' with some more colourful/shimmery palettes.

So it functions really well as both a primary palette (me) or a contour palette (her).

on 9/28/2016 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Okay... The packaging got me to buy it, however, these colors y'all!!! They are gorgeous, but you need to be kind and gentle or else it can get very dramatic very quickly. Such amazing shadows, easy to blend, SICK PIGMENTATION... Just an overall awesome palette if you're like me and don't want any shimmer or any colors in your everyday makeup routine. Everyone will find something they like in this palette, and I've definitely found my favorites in lazarus in the crease, laetus on the lid samael in the crease and outer v, and sytry to smoke it all out! Would definitely buy only these colour again, since they are the most used in the palette.

If you are thinking about it: BUY IT!

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I love my new shade and light!... Was so happy when I heard Kat Von D was coming to the UK and Debenhams now stick her range!... I almost paid £64 on Amazon for this to be shipped from America too, thank God I waited. The colours are all so highly pigmented and easily blendable... Beautiful colours too, I will say a lot of the darker shades are VERY dark though... And as I like a brown on my lids, there's just one brown (lower left side - Sameal) that's light enough as I don't like a very dark lid. But the peach and smoke transition shades are beautiful, the whites/creams are very light and just do the job beautifully, and the black can either be used on the outer corner as its very easy to blend, or for a winged effect with a pointy dense pencil brush. I love it! It basically has everything you need in one palette. Also the packaging is gorgeous!! I love the large Gothic inside mirror. Adore this! Will try more of her things now!

on 9/11/2016 10:02:00 PM

I don't think I have ever disliked a pallet so much! I have never tried at KvD product, I usually stick to MAC or UD for shadows. I purchased this because I am in my mid 40's and matte looks better on my crepe lids.

These shadows are so soft, they are chalky and they are a mess when blending. Staying power is fine, but with a primer I never have a problem with staying power.

The color selection is OK, but once you look at it at home every day you realize you dont need so many neutrals in similar shades.

In the year I have had this palette I have used it probably 8 times. I keep trying to find something to do with it but it just isn't a pleasure to put on my makeup with this palette and makeup should be fun.

on 9/7/2016 10:11:00 AM

Fall of 2015 I bought this palette and was so hardcore in love I almost bought a backup. August of 2016 I sold this in a blogsale, and don't really miss it.

This is an awesome palette if you don't have many matte neutrals, or if you really enjoy all matte looks. I tend to prefer a touch of satin or slight shimmer-- at least as an inner corner HL, if not my whole lid. The shade in the far right of this palette-- a peachy nude beige tone-- has a slight satin quality to it. But in all this is a VERY matte palette.

KVD formulation in this palette is HIGH pigment. And I can see this being great if it works for you-- I personally prefer a little less pigmentation-- I prefer my Mac mattes much more.( And my tf and even my UD). Maybe it's bc im so fair skinned? Maybe it is because I am hard on shadows- I can't really say.

On me this just made looks that looked very-- obvious looking. For my taste the point of a matte nude look is to have a look that is a my eye but better-- understood this isn't everyone's goal, and if you want to do nice matte smokey looks this palette is MADE for you!! Not only is it super high pigment, but also there is almost NO FALLOUT. I almost kept the palette for the black shade alone-- I could literally pack this into my lashline and it wouldn't move. It works better than many cakeliners on the market. But I didn't want to keep a big bulky palette for that one shade.

Also the dealbreaker for me was this palette didn't seem to play well with other shadows. I would try to use this palette and then add a shimmer on the lid-- like a lorac or Mac naked lunch. It never looked right. I guess bc these are high pigment-- other shades wouldn't blend out over them as well and it would make my shimmers look dull and a bit muddy.

Pros:
High pigmented
Essential shades anyone could use
Pretty packaging w mirror
No fallout/ minimal fallout
Blackest black ive ever used
Not too pricey/good value for what you get

Cons:
Difficult to blend out/ especially when used with other shadow formulations
You probably can dupe many shades in this palette. Even within the palette-- both dark browns look similar once on eye. And even the oatmeal and white shade look really similar once on the eye. *actually if that oatmeal shade in the neutral quad was a neutral pink (think Mac yogurt) I probably would have kept the palette. It would be more versatile.

on 9/7/2016 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

As a woman nearing my 40's with fine lines lids that are starting to show my age this pallet is one that I have a love/hate relationship with. I am a pallet junkie and have to buy every pallet I see as soon as they come out so the fact that this is an 'eye contouring pallet' as opposed to an eye shadow pallet was a unique concept to me.

I am usually heavy handed with my makeup but with this pallet I needed to realize I was contouring my eye to 'lift, balance and define' and after I watched some tutorials to figure it out (as opposed to applying this like eye shadow) I liked it.

I always use a primer with this, lately my favorite has been the Smashbox 24 hour photo finish though previously I was an UD die hard...but I digress!

Pros:

* Rich color
* Matte
* Pigmented
* Blendable

Cons

* Fall out
* Some colors are chalky and look muddy if overlapped

Overall this is a good pallet, it is not my favorite and if I am wanting to contour my eye area I can use my Anastasia pallet to be perfectly honest (the coloring and texture is better/finer).