Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette
Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.6

on 8/14/2016 5:04:00 AM

In two words: Holy Grail. This palette is amazing. If you're going to buy just one palette in your life (seriously, get therapy dear...), make it this one.

I bought this palette after all the raving in Youtube and various beauty blogs, and of course, MakeupAlley. :) So far my trusty neutral-eye-go-to-palette has been Bobbi Brown Stonewashed Nudes Matte, which is, like, ages old. Lately I've been feeling it has subtly changed in colour (age, maybe), or my skin has, I don't know. Anyway, I haven't been happy with the results. Hence, I need a new neutral eye staple.

The Shade and Light contour palette has this really nice idea of offering neutral, warm and cool selections, making it very versatile. To my great joy, all three shade groups work fabulously with my neutral-cool ivory skin shade. I was a bit hesitant with the warm group, but it's not at all orange-y, more like soft peach glow with a beautiful rust brown contour shade. So the palette offers fool-proof combinations for all seasons, easy to adjust to other makeup.

And the quality. OMG, the quality. I'm swooning here, folks. They're pigmented, ultra-fine, soft, buttery, blending like a dream. They're true mattes and the colour payoff is terrific. I have a patented way of testing a product's blending ability, I'm calling it Aunt Praxi's Seriously Crappy Brush Test. I have a 1990s remnant, cheap pink eye shadow brush that has abysmal hairs and is weirdly shaped. If I can make a decent contour blending with it and product X, the product is divine. So far the hallowed graduates of the test are MakeUp Store Microshadow, Zoeva palettes, UD singles, MakeUp Geek and now Kat von D.

Also, they stay put. Full sixteen hours, colours unchanged. Only some barely-there moving in the crease after 12 hours. (I do use a primer, though.) Added points for total lack of scent. And the packaging is so cool. The how-to instruction sheet is great. Add in that they're cruelty-free and well, it can't get any better than this.

on 8/10/2016 8:26:00 AM

I *adore* this eye shadow palette!!! The colors are rich and creamy and very pigmented. They are all wonderful, wearable, buttery, matte shades and you can create a number of eye looks from this. And it's such a versatile palette! I love the darker shades - black, chocolate brown, etc. - I use these with a flat bristle brush to softly line my eye. I push the color close to the lash line and it is great for an older woman like myself. I find a liquid liner or pencil can look too harsh. And the top middle shade works great for filling in my brows in a pinch. It's a very cool taupe-ey shade with no red in it and that goes great with my coloring. A superb palette and the first Kat Von D product I have owned. However, loving this as much as I do, makes me want to try more from her line!!

on 7/23/2016 10:50:00 PM

I'm in the minority here...seriously do not like this palette. The colors look really great in the palette, but on the shadows are very chalky. I love Kat Von D products, but disappointed in this.

on 7/23/2016 10:10:00 PM

Perfect neutral pallet! The colors don't look like much, but they're very pigmented, & they enhance your eyes. I used this & I thought "my eyes look pretty today," not my eyeshadow. The packaging is beautiful & unique.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I had this on my wishlist seemingly forever. But I do not have an Sephora handy to test this out and any time I was in Sephora over how many years now since I began lemming this, I for some reason always 'forgot' about it, well that and the fact that there were so many other palettes that kept coming out that I wanted to try. Oh, I should have bought this when I first wanted it!! Truly, if you like/do mostly neutral eye looks, this is a great one to try out. I love that it has basically 3 "quads" built in, a "neutral quad," a "cool toned quad" and a "warm toned quad". But of course, you can mix and match any of the shades (the black shade in the very center of the palette makes for a great liner shade, or of course to smudge out an eye look or create a smokey eye or to use to packed over an eyeliner pencil applied to eyes for more lasting power). This formula thankfully for me is friendly to my aging and 'crepey' eyes, not 'dry' or powdery. No weird settling and no creasing. I get a minimum 8 to 10 hours of wear out of these shades, and that is with no primer. They do take a wee bit of blending, but the payoff is worth it. I also do not get any fallout with these, which is another thing that I really appreciate. No eyeshadow dust to clean off my cheek is always a nice thing!! I also get little to no kickup. Just a joy to use.

on 7/24/2016 9:50:00 PM

I bought this palette, and wore it for a couple of months. Then all of a sudden I developed an allergy. I now can wear Lazarus, and that's about it. The same thing happened with the Tarte Amazonian Clay matte palette btw. It seems anything bright or dark in colour is now not an option for me. That said, the colours are very pigmented, and blend very easily. If it wasn't for the allergy, I would be wearing it all the time!

on 7/12/2016 6:11:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

My everyday go-to eyeshadow palette! Perfect for "natural" looks or more dramatic looks. The pigmentation is very good along with the blendability.

You can do a lot of looks on this palette but since it's all matte I still do have to reach for other palettes/eyeshadows for a pop of colour on the centre of my lid. The packaging is beautiful, but the shadow names are on the back and I'm a bit confused if the names refer to the shade directly above it. But these aren't major issues for me.

I much prefer this over the Naked (1&2) palettes, neither of which I own but with this palette you don't really need it in my opinion. Overall an amazing palette.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

My favourite palette ever and i have purchased many palettes. I love how there are cool, neutral and warm quads which work amazingly together and other shades can also work well together. The formulation is also amazing. Such high pigment and colour payoff i can wear these easily without priming the eyes. The black is well very black and when your brush is wet it is great to use as a liner. I love all of Kat Von D products and this is definitely one of her best. Such a well formulated, well thought out product and it definitely deserves the hype it gets.

on 7/7/2016 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is one of the few palettes out there, whose overhyped status is based on truth. I was very hesitant to get this one, simply because I have ALOT of palettes, but I decided to go and swatch this baby to see for myself. I was blown away by great quality of mattes! Usually mattes suck, don't you agree? It's easier to find a palette with dry powdery, patchy, sandy, grainy shadows, than a buttery matte shadow. But here she is! A palette full of buttery, smooth, silky, heavily pigmented matte shades! There are no duds, as far as I can tell, all shades perform very well. They blend like a dream, even with my cheap Ecotools brushes, they stay on all day with primer (I always use primer because my eyes are very hooded). I will take this palette on vacation, because this is a perfect palette to get any look done quickly and professionally. I'll also take a few of my beloved Loreal Infallible pigments for a pop of color on the lid, and I'm golden! I wore several different looks with this palette, sometimes by itself and sometimes in conjunction with the beautiful Infallible pigments (I love myself a sparkly lid! ), and got many compliments, even from random strangers. I love this palette, I definitely recommend it, even for those of us, who have seemingly every palette! You will find a ton of use out of this one. Mark my words, after you play with this one and a bunch of single colorful pigments, you'll ditch most of your existing stash in favor of Shade & Light. Just wait and see...

on 7/16/2016 1:16:00 PM

I bought this one when I went to sephora to buy the Naked 1 palette. I liked this one more because of the basic colors. This is the only palette I own of which I use every color. I also use the top left color to set my under eyes.
It's my go-to palette, the colors are really pigmented and buildable.