Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4

Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4

3.9

2011 Reformulaton: Water, Alcohol Denat., Salicylic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Trehelose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA-Copper, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-4, Green 5

on 6/29/2008 4:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This worked ok for my skin on helping it become smoother and clearing up dead skin cells, but the alcohol was so strong that it made my fingers dry up pretty bad. I would always wash my hands after applying this but that didn't help. Neither did leaving the DDMG on my hands after applying it on my face. So i had to stop using it mainly because it was so harsh on my fingers. I figured if it's so harsh on my fingers it was probably stripping most of my essential moisture from my face. After i'm done with my loads of cleansers and toners, I think i'll try the mild formula.

on 5/11/2008 7:23:00 AM

BACKROUND: Clinique Clarifying Lotion #1, and #2 never did anything for my acne-prone combo sensitive skin.
Clarifying #3 worked wonderfully for 7 years on my skin, when one day,it seemed ineffective.I thought I had a bad bottle, so I purchased another one, and alas, the #3 lost it's magic touch.

REVIEW FOR CLARIFYING #4
I've been using the #4 for a few weeks, and yay, it's been wonderful in clearing my skin of all it's little bumps, and exfoliating the deeper painful blemishes I get.
It's quite strong, so to avoid excessive peeling or irritation, I alternate it with pure witch hazel.
I use the Clarifying #4 in the PM, and the witch hazel in the AM. (Witch hazel is great at soothing the skin :))
If you are on a Benzoyl peroxide acne regimen, a good salicylic acid toner like this is a must. The salicylic acid preps your skin for the bp by encouraging cell turnover. In a way, it opens your skin up for the bp medication to get into your current blemishes and pores.

Bythe way this product also cleared my chest and back breakouts.

It's a wonderful product and will always be a staple for me.

I wonder if they will eventually come out with a #5? (hee-hee)

on 4/9/2008 1:51:00 AM

For winter its a bit too drying, but in the summer it is an absolute must. This really controls oil. Also good for drying up zits. But definatley NOT for dry skin.

on 1/20/2008 1:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is the only thing that keeps me from breaking out. If your thick, oily skin never feels clean, try this. It truly clarifies my skin. You'll need a light moisturizer afterwards. The big bottle lasts a long time, so the price is worth it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It's taken some experimentation, but I finally came to realize my face just does best with Clinique-- even though in theory I support "natural" skincare. And I've found the regime that works best for me, which includes CL 4. Although the alcohol content is high, my oily skin can take it. I don't know if it's the witch hazel or butylene glycol or salicylic acid in there, but it does wonders in clearing and preventing acne and making my skin look and feel very fresh. I even like the cool, "clinical" scent of this unscented product. Big thumbs up.

on 4/30/2008 7:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I used Clinique a few years back but decided to shop around for more natural skincare - a mistake. Back then I used the mild soap, #2, and DD lotion which always worked well. Since then my skin type has changed and I now have super oily skin which nothing would control and applying powder 5+ times a day. Decided to go back to Clinique last week as I was covered in spots and oilier than ever. Went for the #4 lotion along with the oily liquid soap and DD gel and my skin is looking so much better. Whether it's the clarifying lotion or the full regime, my oil problem is 100% better. I'm lucky if I have to powder once a day now. My spots are drying up very quickly too and no new ones have appeared. Very impressed. Will repurchase.

on 11/26/2007 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I bought this about a month ago, with the 3-step skincare set. I have this #4 Lotion and the #4 Facial Soap, and the moisturizing gel. I am completely up in the air about this. While this does an AMAZING job controlling my oily skin, it also seems to give me a big zit here and there. I normally do not get those as regularly as I have since I started using this toner. Maybe it's the witch hazel I'm not responding well to. It is also pretty drying, so make sure you moisturize. I am going to go back to the counter and see if they recommend another number than this toner.

My stepsister has similar skin to me but much more acne prone and she used a Neutrogena cleanser and then the #2 Lotion and her skin looks so clear and bright now. I might try that!!

Okay: Edit....If you have found that you have problems with your skin after using Witch Hazel, BEWARE. Do not use this thing because that is pretty much the main ingredient. I have never reacted well to Witch Hazel but didn't really think about that too much going into this product. While I don't look like a pizza, this gave me huge, angry zits randomly, like 3 or 4 at a time. I am returning the whole 3 step in fact!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have very oily skin and needed something to actually get in there and cleanse. I use this after using the cleansing gel and it has been a long time since my face felt so clean. If you have very oily skin this is the product for you. I will be repurchasing.

i was a little skeptical about this product because it has a bit of salycilic acid in it..which my face never did well with...surprisingly its great!!! it tightens pores, helps with oil control (im ridiculously oily) and best of all get rid of the flakies!! even though my oil is out of control..since i use acne medication my skin gets flaky..this gets rid of that...
fair warning: the first couple of times i used this my face felt on fire...however after like 3-4 times ur face tolerates it..go figure...

on 12/13/2007 1:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Bought this with the Liquid soap and Dram Diff Gel, both of which I have been very happy with. But this I did not like. I am very oily in all facial areas, and this was super drying for me. I couldn't even use it once a day and had to use it every other! It also caused a minor breakout, maybe due to increased oil production to counteract the dryness? Not sure, but I switched to the #3 version with more success.