Makeup Revolution Eye Shadow Palettes

Makeup Revolution  Eye Shadow Palettes

3.5

on 5/18/2015 5:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I bought Makeup Revolution Iconic 3 palette after hearing rumors that its UD Naked 3 Dupe. Oh man, turns out it really is! I'm going to sell away my Naked palettes! It's pigmented and has very little fall-out. The other "heap" eyeshadow palettes I own is from Sleek. Well, i can stop buying Sleek from now on. Makeup Revolution is way cheaper and not as chalky as Sleek. Can't wait to try Iconic 1 & 2 as well as Heart Chocolate which I heard is an exact dupe of TOO Faced Chocolate Bar.

on 4/26/2015 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Update: after using these a while, I have found I really dislike the texture of the shimmery shades. they are heavy, as someone put it, almost slimey (many may read this as "buttery" but I don't), and tend towards frost. Of the Iconic Pro 2 palette, which I depotted, only 2 out of 8 shimmery shades were non-frosted enough for me to bother keeping. For depotters, the matte shades are *exceedingly* fragile, moreso than the shimmers, depot with extreme care and heat only. Both the Iconic and Iconic Pro palette outer cases are decent quality, as a side note, if you don't damage them while depotting they make great sturdy freeform palettes - just stick magnetic sheeting into them. I would not repurchase these again. If you can find a 90-100% matte palette they may be worth checking out but these shimmery and mixed palettes have proven to be a bust for me.

I recently acquired the Iconic 3 and Iconic Pro 2 palettes from MUR, they are my first experience with the brand. I had been lemming Urban Decay's Naked 3 palette for a while but the 50 price tag here always gave me pause. I do already own the original UD Naked 1, owned and gave away the UD Naked 2, and also own the original LORAC Pro palette, as a background.

For the price (5), the Iconic 3 palette has a better value to performance ratio than Urban Decay. That being said, I would not say the textures are across the board good - several of the glittery shades felt gritty to me, and had some fallout. From what I hear on the boards, they are still *superior* to the original UD Naked3 palette, but just judged on their own merits, I would not call the texture "good" - simply "decent" - even for a drugstore brand. The more finely milled shimmers, all but the lightest of the mattes, and in general the darker colours in the palette, perform much better and are smooth and easy to use, not too hard, and not too soft. The shadows do apply wonderfully over a primer (I use WnW Fergie), but they lose a bit of their intensity over the course of the day (maybe 5 or more hours? I never timed it exactly.) I can't complain about that for the price, though.

Compared to MUR's own Iconic Pro 2 palette, the textures of the Iconic 3 palette are definitely not as good, particularly in the intensity and performance of the matte shades. That's not to say they're bad, but if you "had" to make a choice between their 5 palette and their 10 palette, the quality definitely shines though on the "more expensive" palette. But who are we kidding here. For these prices, you can get almost their entire range and still not reach the price of a single Urban Decay or LORAC palette.

Specifically on the colour range, and I suppose this could also apply to UD Naked 3 or any of the various dupes out there - I took two points off because I feel the colour composition lacks enough contrast to create more than a just a few similar looks for my NC25 skin. This was not the case with the Naked 1 & 2 palettes, so it really is a critique of the colour choices in the palette. For those looking for an alternative and not hung up on the idea of duping the N3, I believe the Iconic Dreams palette has a similar selection of rose mauves, while also packing in a wider variety of olives and warmer shades in as well. It's the same price and something I wish I had gotten instead of the Iconic 3, to be honest, as it condenses the many "same" shades in Iconic 3 into just one half of the Dreams palette. I did put one point back on because for the price, I can't really complain about lack of variety, AND it is a straight up Urban Decay dupe, not an original composition of MUR artists.

For those concerned about ingredient quality, the company is based in the UK, but the palettes are produced in China, hence why they are so cheap. COSDNA doesn't raise any red flags on the ingredient list, but like any budget brand, YMMV - as another reviewer said, test these carefully first before you buy the whole kit and kaboodle. If they do happen to work for you, however, these shadows are a steal.

NB: For you streamliners and depotters out there, the packaging of this is actually quite good. I know some people find it cheap, but I find it efficient - for me no mirror is a bonus, it saves on cost and I never use those anyway. The clear plastic top lets you immediately see what colours you have, the plain black plastic housing is thin and not gaudy, and the shadows are efficiently packed with no wasted space. You could depot these, but you don't have to because the packaging is smart. I only wish they didn't even bother to include the brush slot, personally. :P

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used to own the Naked 3 Palette and can count on one hand the amount of times I used it. I was never impressed with the colours (too pink and purple hued) the fallout (glitter EVERYWHERE) and the quality (either too chalky or too glittery). As a result I sold it and decided to try some of the cheaper eyeshadow palettes on the market, figuring that if I didn't like those at least I wouldn't have spent 30+ on one. And the Makeup Revolution Redemption Palette Iconic 3 was one of the first I went for...

Yes it's a dupe for the Naked 3, but in my opinion it's far superior. There's barely any fallout, the glitter/shimmer in this is much finer meaning your face doesn't end up looking like you've been mugged by Tinkerbell, and the shades are much more subtle so it doesn't make your eyelids looked bruised or washed out (which I found the Naked 3 had a tendency to do). The other added bonus is this costs 4.00, which is 34.00 cheaper than the Naked 3. And it performs better.

In my opinion it's a no brainer - if you want to try the Urban Decay, Too Faced, Stila etc palettes but can't afford their prices/don't want to pay their prices, try the Makeup Revolution palettes instead. They're cheaper, available in most branches of Superdrug in the UK and they won't break the bank. And you can buy 9 of these for the cost of one Urban Decay palette. 'Nuff said!

on 2/2/2015 1:31:00 PM

I purchased a total of 5 eye shadow palettes from Makeup Revolution over the last year and I was astounded at the quality for such an affordable price. I purchased the Iconic 3 (dupe for Naked 3), Colour Chaos, Flawless neutrals, Go! palette, and the I Heart Chocolate palette (dupe for Too Faced Chocolate palette). Most of the palettes included a nice sized mirror and the colors were gorgeous and pigmented. The I Heart Chocolate palette is absolutely incredible! For someone looking to grow their eye shadow collection at an affordable price, these are a great way to go. HOWEVER, during the last year, my eyes would randomly swell up, turn red, itch, sting, and water. I use a lot of different makeup/skincare products, so it took me some time to narrow it down to a certain product/products that were causing the reaction. Every single time I used one of these palettes, my eyes would react in some way. Sometimes it was mild, sometimes it was severe. These are the only eye shadow palettes I own that cause this reaction. I am so bummed because I really do love them, but it is not worth the misery of having eyes that are almost swollen shut! I just wanted to warn anyone else out there that this happened to me. I would suggest maybe ordering only one palette to see if you have a reaction and go from there. This makes me wonder if there is maybe an ingredient used in the UK that's not used in the States that is causing my eyes to react... Hmmm...

on 10/13/2014 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Bought four Makeup Revolution palettes now and they are absolutely amazing! I gave away my Urban Decay Naked palette as I really wasn't impressed with it, I certainly won't be giving these beauties away. The pigmentation is to die for, colours are gorgeous, packaging classy and prices are unbelievable! If you do one thing this week, buy a Makeup Revolution palette.

on 8/11/2014 5:22:00 PM

I have several MUR palettes including eye and blush. They do amazing UD dupes and all are extremely pigmented and blend beautifully. I am a Chanel, Nars and Laura Mercier nutt and didn't think any drugstore brand could rival any of my fave products....I was wrong!!!!!!! Their lipsticks are moisturising don't bleed and are true to shade. Blushers and highlighters deliver just as higher end brands, they blend brilliantly and the colour payoff is excellent. This brand is amazing and produce products to rival and exceed those sold by established high end brands. Prices start from £1 so try you have nothing to loose and I doubt you'll be disappointed!!!!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have several of their palettes: run boy run, essential mattes & disappear till tomorrow.
All of these have incredible pigmentation and all 3 are either 4 or 6!
So cheap and so amazing!
Everyone should try them.