Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.3

on 4/3/2006 7:53:00 PM

This is one of the few Guerlains that works with my chemistry and certainly one of the most unique fragrances I have ever smelled. Vol de Nuit starts out with a fabulous burst of bergamot, but quickly evolves. This is one of those scents that is so seamlessly blended, that I really hate to take it apart. Several people have written that it is a melancholy fragrance, that it brings tears to the eyes. I could not imagine such a scent, unless it was so awful or pungent, but this is indeed a gloomy fragrance. There is a dusty note there and something so sad. To me, this is what memories would smell like if they had a scent. If this was a Harry Potter potion, this would be nostalgia in a bottle, guaranteed to transport the wearer back in time memories that are melancholy, yet treasured at the same time if that makes any sense. Most fragrances these days aim to smell inoffensive and pleasant. Very few conjure up any images. Vol de Nuit brings such beautiful images to mind, it alters mood, time and place. It may not be a scent for everyone, certainly not one that I could wear on a daily basis, but it is a fragrance I am honored t have tried and one I will treasure and reserve for special times and moments when I want to be transfixed by my scent.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Vol de Nuit edt is a soft, contemplative oriental, beautifully blended and easy to wear. The opening notes of bergamot and citrus are only fleeting on my skin and then the scent becomes more distinctly woody with some iris and jasmine notes, although these are quite faint. As Vol de Nuit dries down it becomes sweeter, more powdery and spicy on me, although never too much so, and there is also a delicious vanilla base note. I can't detect any amber. This is a very refined, gentle oriental - quite beautiful, and perfect for the autumn.

Perfection!

on 3/8/2006 8:30:00 PM

My dear friend snowywhite(thanks snowy) sent me a generous sample of Vol de Nuit,beautiful fragrance.After trying L'Heure Bleue this is like a breath of fresh air.

Vol de Nuit is one of my favorites from the classic Guerlains. My interest in perfumes tends to lean towards the vintage, and after what I had read in the reviews here about VdN, I knew I had to try it. My first test was at a Guerlain counter in another city----a Guerlain counter with one bottle of Jicky and one bottle of VdN in the glass case, and both boxes had visible wear on them. Apparently, I'm one of the very last to realize that VdN will no longer be sold at your typical Guerlain counter inside a dept store. When I asked the SA if I could try VdN (and this SA was from another brand's counter), she noted that there were no testers of VdN, but she was kind enough to let me spray from that poor little bottle sitting in the glass case. We both knew no one would buy an old beat-up box, and not for the money that the store was charging. As I tracked the EdT, I became more and more interested in the leathery darkness that composes this fragrance, and yet it unfolds into something abstractly floral. I eventually bought the EdT online, and then later purchased the parfum. I love the enigmatic nature of this fragrance and the way it's so unlike any of the fragrances that seem to be multiplying like rabbits and which come out almost daily. VdN is unique by today's standards and has a masculine tone to it which softens as time wears on. It's simply a masterpiece of perfumery and art.

I agree with ImMockingU on so many levels, layers of scent and joy flushed into one fine fragrance that reminds me of my own off-beat swiss childhood. I too enjoy pawn shops.

I tried this a few years ago and was shocked at everyones descriptions of it because what I tried was nothing like these ethereal descriptions. Fast forward two years later.......pure parfum. Ah, yeah, this is the stuff. A world of difference. So much smoother and well balanced. The EDT was harsh and sharp on me. I really did not like it at all. The parfum is exquisite. At first it did have that blast from the past feeling and I didn't like it....it was a bit old fashioned smelling...but after about 1/2 hour I was left wondering where that fab smell was coming from. It was soft and gentle, vanilla, amber and woods. What a lovely scent.

on 6/24/2005 4:43:00 AM

Nestling majestically near the top of the oriental pantheon, Vol de Nuit is still reeling in new fans 72 years after it was launched. Try the parfum (extrait) for a complete sense of this wondrous fragrance. Note: There is currently some talk (started by Luca Turin) of a future reformulation of the 14 classic Guerlains to remove the allergens coumarin, oak moss and birch tar and replace them with substitutes, but no one has mentioned discontinuation so there's no need to start hoarding just yet.

on 10/17/2005 8:43:00 AM

A beautiful old fragrance. It started with a lovely, warm, comforting, powdery, elegant and not too overwhelming notes on my skin - very nice. And this is the best part of it for me because after a while it developes an overly woodsy drydown: still very nice for those who are looking for woody scents. As I'm not exactly into those type of fragrances I think it is not for me. My husband think it is "too woodsy" and not my style. I still like it a lot. Very nice perfume.

Seeing as I'm isolated in in Northern Ontario, Canada, I don't get to experiment much with makeup and fragrances. I went "down south" last week (to the great city of Toronto!), walked into The Bay and stumbled accross Guerlain. I sampled pretty much all of their perfumes and when I was introduced to Vol de Nuit, I fell in love. Just the thought of that acquaintance makes me weak in the knees. I asked the salesperson what the name of the fragrance was but was couldn't make out her commendable attempt at pronouncing the french name. I walked away from Guerlain but went back quickly. "Vol de Nuit" de Saint-Ex... Je l'ai lu il y a quelques mois. Une histoire d'aventure, de courage, de force et de devoir... Le roman de la grandeur de l'homme (et de la femme!)... I took this fragrance home and have absolutely no regrets...
QUESTION: Do I smell celery in this?

Popular Fragrances