NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.7

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 11/11/2015 7:15:00 AM

IF U TAKE PICTURES WITH FLASH UR SKIN WILL LOOK WHITE

I have a love/hate relationship with this stuff. If you use it like a regular finishing powder, you’ll be sadly disappointed. It sets your makeup but it makes your face incredibly dry and matte looking. Not that velvet-smooth matte, but that “I smoke/drink to excess” look of dryness. However, used sparingly and in different spots, not all over, it is brilliant! I use it after doing my brows to set them—just use a small fluffy brush dipped and tapped, and gently swipe through brows. Sets them to last all day and softens harsh edges if you haven’t fully blended your brow pencil down. I also like it as a finishing touch around the inner corners of my eyes. I use a highlighter after undereye concealer, and after finishing all my makeup, I just use that same small fluffy brush to dab a bit of powder over the inner corners where I’ve highlighted. It makes the highlight last longer and also tones it down just a touch so you look like you’re bright and well-rested, not like you’ve spackled on highlighter in hopes of faking awakeness. I also dip/tap a blush brush in it and then swirl into my powder blush…it makes the blush go on smoother and last longer. Just remember to use another brush to blend the blush so it doesn’t look obvious and so the HD powder settles into your skin. Overall it’s a great product if you use it sparingly. This sifter jar will last me forever at this rate, so it’s a super good deal

UNREAL. I applied my foundation this morning at 6:30 AM. It is now 12:30 PM and it looks fantastic. No sinking into pores. No shine. No sliding all over the face. And what's even more incredible - the powder hasn't dried me out either.
I applied my foundation (actually, a BB cream) with a damp beauty blender and then dusted the smallest TINIEST amount of the NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder all over my face. Then (all powders:) contour, highlighter and blush. It all sits there, like I just applied it. This is insane.
Now let's see if it irritates me or breaks me out. I'll keep you updated.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

Um, no. I guess I didn't read the reviews correctly? I don't like a completely matte finish, and that's what this gave me. But not the smooth, perfect matte finish - my skin looked horribly dry and splotchy after I applied. I wouldn't buy this again, and can't really think of a reason to apply it.

on 7/9/2015 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have this and it is functional. I use it as my day to day setting powder when I know I am not going to be in pictures as it does flash back. I find that I have to go in with a light hand when using NYX HD. Also I flick off any excess with a small setting brush in the nose area or else it does have some slight build up but then so do the better powders. It seems to show up more when I am tan so I do think that tan/olive/dark complected girls may have some issues with it if they do not flick excess off. It is not a replacement for Nars or Mac but it does the job when I do not want to use up my better setting powders. Not everyone has the money for those amazing powders which are low on quantity and high on price. I would say I recommend this if you have a light hand and the right tools to pull this off properly.

on 8/4/2015 2:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I don't own a lot of makeup, but this is definitely one of my favourites for setting my foundation. It's so finely milled and applies very nicely. Also, if you're concerned about it leaving a white cast on your face...I haven't ever run into that problem before (& my complexion is on the darker side) I got it on sale for around $10 in Canada at London Drugs, and I would definitely repurchase. I have oily skin, and the powders that I was using before didn't help to keep my face as matte as this one. NYX slayed it with this product and I would highly recommend it to anyone out there looking for a new powder!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I love silica powders. This one is nice. I think I like the ELF powder better. This powder is so light and fine that I tend to accidentally inhale it a lot. The ELF powder is a little heavier so it clings to the brush better than the NYX powder and makes it a little less messy. But I like the packaging of this one better than ELF, it's slimmer and sleeker. If I repurchase I'll probably go with ELF as it's cheaper and I like the powder a bit better.

I jumped to buy this 100% silica powder, and it works beautifully with little product (I am combo-dry). I am also pale, but I get no photo flashback with this finishing powder (so the "HD" description fits).

It's wonderful to matte down sunscreen and/or tinted moisturizer and lasts all day for me without reapplication.

Sadly, I just noticed this is suddenly no longer on the NYX website, and they have come out with a pressed version with a totally different formulation...I hope this isn't my last jar! If so, at least it's a nice amount of product.

The NYC setting powder came highly recommended. But I got the NYX on accident. Why would two different company's have such similar names and products?! I was extremely disappointed with this product. It went on patchy, it gave my face an extreme white cast, it looked like I slapped baby powder on my face. The sides of my nose had very noticeable white patches stuck to the sides. The shimmer in it is too noticeable, the actual shimmer that you can see in the light were big specs, not tiny. I have used other powders with mica and it was not as noticeable as this product. It completely dulled my skin, and changed the color of my foundation. The consistency seemed chalky to me. And the price is ridiculous, $10 for a tiny container, while the NYC brand is way bigger and only $3? It made me question whether or not to try the NYC brand, in fear that it's similar to this product.

This powder didn't work with my dry skin :(