MAC Studio Finish Concealer

MAC Studio Finish Concealer

3.8

on 12/5/2015 7:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Had I read these reviews before my impulse purchase I might not had bought this at all. The most frequent complaints are: crease (I have flaky skin at certain spots), slip easily (very oily here), sink into lines (hanging to my 'youth') . These are the words I am scared of.

However this is truly an example of Your Mileage May Vary when it comes to cosmetics. There is no way this is highlighting my flakes or slipping away from my skin. I dab some with my finger, warm it up around my wrist, dab it to certain spots, smooth it away with fingers or sometimes Beauty Blender and that's it. I have soft, dewy, luminous skin. Will it fade? Of course, but very subtly without creasing and no settling into lines whatsoever. I am still amazed that this actually work for me while fellow oily ladies are running away from it.

on 11/8/2015 8:01:00 AM

Horrible. Creases and shows up in pics no matter how much it's blended it should be discontinued along with their other concealers.

on 10/26/2015 1:28:00 AM

Oh, Studio Finish... It's one of those products: you either love it or hate it.
I have been using this concealer for many years now - more than 4. It's the only concealer I've been using ever since, but it's time to change and you'll see why.

The positives:
- It's cost efficient. It lasts forever so the price is worth it.
- The packaging is compact, which means I can literally throw it in my pocket and go.
- The coverage is amazing, and this is the main reason why I keep holding on to this. I have severe dark circles (not the darkest in the world, but DARK) and this covers it. Period. You don't need a lot to get it done, so that's why it lasts forever.
- It's long lasting (specially around my eyes, which are not oily) and it tends to stay there for hours if I set it.
- Colour selection, as per usual with MAC products.
- Doesn't seem to oxidise.

The negatives (where should I begin...)
- It breaks me out. Period. I can't use this everyday on my face, because I always get a pimple by the end of the day. That could be either because of its oily consistency (yes, it's oily) or because of the absolutely unnecessary added spf.
- Beware of flashblack (because of spf). I rarely take flash photography and I'm fair, so I don't care.
- Packaging might be practical but it's so so unhygienic.
- It changes texture whitin a few months. It's much more workable when it's new; it's just softer and it blends better. After a while, it becomes harder and more cakey looking.
- This is HORRIBLE if you have dry skin, textured skin or signs of aging. HORRIBLE. RUN TO THE HILLS. And this is precisely why I feel like I have to get another concealer, cause this one's just ain't cutting it for me anymore. I'm only 19, but my undereyes are very difficult to deal with. I have a few lines showing (more than usual for my age, I think) and they're dry. I still haven't found a good moisturiser that keeps my eyes soothed but doesn't feel heavy and I specially haven't found a good moisturiser to use underneath this concealer. I can't use anything heavy or greasy because it looks soooo cakey; can't use anything that's lightly moisturising, because it looks dry and flaky. This also accentuates my lines like NOTHING ELSE. I look 120 when I use this. I find that using a silicone based primer underneath helps a lot, but it didn't solve the problem for me. Keep in mind that I have to use a heavy layer of this because of my darkness.
- It creases like a mofo, so you HAVE to set it, period. But, for the same reasons mentioned above, powdering ages me tremendously, which is bad.
- Only works with fingers. I don't mind it, but I guess most people would find it a negative. I apply it with a thin eyeliner brush in a small triangular shape under my eyes and blend it in with my fingers - this way works the best for me.
- It separates when my skin gets oily. It just either disappears or breaks down in patches.
- It will cling onto EVERY damn dry patch on your face. You have been warned.
- It transfers if it's not set.

Another observation I would like to make: I'm not sure about this yet but I think that using oil based moisturisers underneath this cuts down the wear time quite a bit. It seems to fade faster when I use coconut oil (which is contradictory to Waine Goss' video about prepping the skin for makeup, if you believe him). But I could be tripping.

Basically, I would say that if you're desperate for coverage, this will work for you. If you're worried about texture, skip it. If you're not worried about texture nor too much about coverage, then this could be a great long lasting, practical option.

on 10/7/2015 2:34:00 PM

I love this stuff! It does not make me breakout and blends in nicely with a slight matte finish. It last for most of the day without touchups needed. I like the nc15 color because I am very fair, but it does not make me look too white. I usually dust on some powder bronzer for a little more color. SPF35 is nice to have. I do wear it over a sunblock anyway. It has a nice coverage, but I would not go as far to say that it is super coverage. Easy to use, a bit pricey but I would continue to buy it.

Bought this to cover some scars on my face. Bought this in 2 shades. First in NW30, but it was too dark during winter season so I bought a shade lighter, NW25.

The quality is good, but ever since I've discovered Dermablend concealer, I would say, that Dermablend is a better concealer.

But for this MAC concealer, it covers well too, not cakey, spreads well. Good consistency. However, for the size of the pot, and the price of it, not really fond of that fact. Anyway, all MAC make up are expensive because of the brand name that comes with it. Just sometimes, the quality is not that superb for its price. You can find a cheaper dupe.

Will not buy again. Will just finish what is left on both pots of concealer that I have now.

Did absolutely nothing to conceal my dark circles, and caked up badly. Better results with Covergirl Ready, Set, Gorgeous concealer. Very disappointed. Good thing I only got a sample. Another case of hyped out, overpriced junk.

I'm sure this is exactly the same as double wear stay in place concealer which I also use.

Price and packaging were fine, but I broke out SO badly from this. It took about 6 months and many trips to the derm to fix my skin after trying this, and I only tried it for about a month.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I really wanted to like this concealer! Bought it in the color NC 35 for my NC42 skin tone...I mainly use it under my eye..it does give me full coverage concealing my troubled spots but, it creases so much on me! I tried putting eye cream on first, and applying the concealer after 10mins and then setting it quickly with a powder (ELF HD powder or Airspun translucent powder) but still it always creases on me! Don't know what to do!! Can't even return cause I bought it a while back..but I barely used any product cause I always had the creasing problem!

on 9/3/2015 12:31:00 PM

so i have acne-prone/oily skin. I bought this concealer last year and i was using it when i had some acne and when my nars tinted moisturizer couldn't cover it up. yes it does do his job it does cover all scars and the acne but when i wear it, always the day after that my skin breaks out. so no i wouldn't buy it again.