4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 3/26/2016 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

A little background info:
I have always had a lash obsession, and wasn't happy w/ my natural lashes (which in retrospect weren't really that bad) so I started using individual eyelashes back in 05. LOVED the results, but (unbeknownst at the time) the glue is absolute *murder* on natural lashes. After wearing them daily for a few months, I realized it was either continue applying or look like an alien until they grew back, which evidently can take up to 2 years! I stupidly stuck to applying the lashes. Fast forward (and simultaneously rewind) to September '14. I decided that, although the results of the indies looked great, I was ready for my real lashes because of the high maintenance routine they demanded . Enter castor oil. I knew that many lash serums and growth mascaras (Rimmel Volume Accelerator being one of them) contain castor oil as an ingredient. While I am ridiculously obsessed w/ mascara (seriously - for a while I felt like I was cheating on my husband w/ Ulta, making secret mascara purchases, hiding them in my "junk makeup" bag & lying to him about it - I later felt guilty and came clean, much to his amusement) I decided to skip the mascara middle man and try castor oil. Totally glad I did. I found some cold pressed, hexane free on Ebay (15 ml/.5oz) for $2.98 and started using it every night before bed. To be fair, and clear: I have a whole routine I diligently go through every night that involves not only castor oil, but unrefined coconut oil and straight vitamin e oil as well on my lashes. I do only use castor oil on my brows but I'll get to that later. Anyway, after doing what I call extensive research and my husband (affectionately) calls stalking, I discovered that not only can/does castor, coconut & vitamin e oils work wonders for lashes, so can/do essential oils which we've been into for about 2 years now and already had on hand. Anyway, here's what I do each night:
I add a few drops each of lavender, rosemary, cedarwood and tea tree oil to every new bottle of nighttime facial cleanser (lavender, peppermint and tea tree to my separate morning cleanser, as all of these help with hair growth, as well as redness and the Exxon Valdez oil slick my face seems to mass produce) and cleanse my face, neck, and GENTLY my lashes to remove makeup and kill the little mites that thrive on our lash follicles & hinder growth (ewwww!), and let it sit for a few mins. No, it does not sting my eyes, however I don't have sensitive eyes to begin w/. Rinse. Then I use coconut oil to remove any residual makeup and condition my lashes. I then apply castor/vit e oil (1:1 ratio) on my lash line/lash roots with a clean, soft lip brush (e.l.f. $1) then brush my lashes with a fluffy clean mascara wand, wiggling at the base to stimulate roots, then sweep from root to tip to coat each lash. Within the first few months, I noticed my lashes had tripled in thickness (I literally have multiple layers of lash growth on my lash line), the gaps have filled in, and I have had NO breakage whatsoever. I probably lose ohhh, 2-3 lashes per MONTH as opposed to daily lash loss after I stopped applying individuals & before the daily regimen started kicking in. (I noticed decent improvement in about 4 weeks, husband noticed in about 10-12 weeks). My lashes are glossy, *much* thicker (not craaaazy thick, but these things take time) and definitely longer, touching the bottoms of my severely over tweezed, pathetic brows (again, I'll get to them in a bit) and the gaps are filled in BEAUTIFULLY. In fact, recently (roughly a month ago) while bending down to light a "smoke", I managed to singe the tips of my lashes on the outer corner of my left eye, resulting in some sort of weird mini lash look, compared to the rest of my left eye, which was unscathed. It was just so freaking awkward looking, so much that I had to use the Younique 3D fiber mascara my sister got me for my birthday, on the tips of my mini lashes only, and I generally can't stand that stuff. But my lashes were in a state of emergency and I wanted them to appear even. Anyway, doing my daily lash care routine literally grew them back to regular length in no time. Like, I can't even tell now that they were stubby only a short time ago. Now, for the castor oil/brow part. I only use castor oil on my brows. I use another clean wand to apply castor oil thickly on my brows, rubbing in and gently brushing to stimulate follicles and coat brows which have been over plucked and barren for years. I wish I would've taken pics! New hairs are sprouting daily, and although I've stopped plucking the inner hairs since I want them thicker, I still "maintenance pluck" outer hairs from my arch down my brow tail because the brows are filling in quite nicely. I just started using castor oil nightly on my brows about 2 months ago, because I never really thought to do it before. I should've done this YEARS ago, as I too am a victim of the aforementioned 90's/early 2000's thinly plucked, penciled in brows. I also add about 2 ml castor oil to my EVOO/coconut hot oil hair treatment and around my hair line and it works wonders in strength and shine. I will continue to use cold pressed castor on lashes for now, but have seen youtubers using plain old Rexall brand from the laxative aisle. I bought a small bottle of it, and if it doesn't break my brows out & I have decent results like them, I'll just use that instead of ordering online. Will update results. *Btw, ricin is ONLY present when whole castor beans are ground up, as it is found inside the bean. Store bought castor oil is RICIN FREE, because of the process they use to make it a consumable/usable product. So please don't take to heart what the others have said about ricin. Yes, it is toxic. No, it absolutely isn't present in ANY brand of castor oil.
˜Update˜4/14/16 - it has only been about 19 days since I've tried Rexall castor oil (Dollar General $1.50 USD for 30ml/1 fl oz and I have had GREAT results! No breakouts, just gro

on 3/9/2016 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've used this every other day for a few weeks on my lashes and eyebrows, and especially in my lashes I've seen a change. They might've gotten a little longer, but most of all they've gotten a lot stronger. I've had problems with my eyelashes breaking off a lot, sometimes so much that there's a noticeable "gap" in my lashes where several has fallen off. Since I started using castor oil I've seen significantly less lashes break off when taking off makeup etc. In my brows I haven't seen as much of a change, but it might still come. I apply the oil with an eyeliner brush along the upper lash line, kind of like I would an eyeliner, a while before I go to bed. Sometimes I also dab a little onto the end of the lashes to give an extra boost to the actual lashes.

My eyes are quite sensitive, so initially I was a bit scared about applying an oil that irritates eyes right near the lash line and/or on my lashes. But the oil is thick enough to really stay where you've put it, and I haven't had any problems with it. When I researched the oil I saw a lot of people saying you should remove any excess oil in the morning when you wash your face, but I swear I don't have any oil to remove come morning. Either my lashes and brows are just really thirsty and drinks it all up, or I smush my face deep enough into my pillow to rub it off during the night.

I will continue to use it and I hope that over time I'll get longer lashes as well as stronger ones.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I use this every night on my eyebrows and eyelashes and I have seen a great improvement in length and thickness. I see a few people have a problem with the oil going in their eyes (it doesn't cause any damage, it just gives you temporary blurry vision), but i just apply a little to the tips of my lashes and this is enough to coat you lashes because it will slowly slide over the rest of you lashes as you sleep, so you don't end up with too much excess. If it does go in your eyes don't worry just wash it out, but if you don't wash it out it soon clears up in a few hours anyway. I also use a little bit on my brows during the day to keep them in place if I haven't filled in my eyebrows, only a little bit so it doesn't look shiny. During the winter when I get dry skin around my nose, I just dab a little bit on dry patches in the morning and at night to stop my skin from becoming flaky (it hasn't caused any spots for me when I do this).

on 2/9/2016 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I love this for eyebrows, but for some reason it always stings my eyes when I use this under my eyes and for my eyelashes. It never absorbs and leaves me with blurry vision and tears forever when I wake up. Will keep using for eyebrows though!

on 1/29/2016 10:04:00 AM

I have extremely sensitive skin and will get flesh-coloured bumps all over my face from bathing in certain town water, that has a lot of additives and chlorine. Castor oil keeps the skin under the eyes from getting darker, and helps keep wrinkles at bay and maintained. I use the Home Health brand and it's great. It's a very thick oil, but it still works well for hydrating skin under the eyes. I also add it to my body lotion. If I use it on my face other than under my eyes, I have a tendency to break out, so I just don't use it on my face, but that doesn't take away from how well it works as an under-eye moisturizer and anti-aging tool.

on 1/21/2016 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have oily skin and naturally decent lashed both in length and thickness. I do dab this around my lash line with a q-tip to just condition the lashes. However, since castor oil is pretty thick and rich, I don't use it in my skin or brows as it can clog pores, for those I use jojoba oil especially in the summer. My mother is the primary user though as she uses it as a hair pack and it has helped with shedding for her. As with any oil, I would suggest that everyone do a spot test to ensure they are not allergic to castor oil. Also, the whole Ricin that people are complaining about is only found in the seeds of castor plant and is boiled off and left as a waste product after processing of castor oil. The only people to be likely poisoned from Ricin present in castor seeds are the workers at processing plants for castor oil.

on 1/21/2016 2:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't use this on my eyelashes because they are already incredibly long, they reach my eyebrows when I look down. But I do use it on my eyebrows and on my hair and feet.

I used to have thick eyebrows but one day I went to get them shaped and the lady who normally does my brows wasn't there and this other lady completely waxed off my brows from the arch onward, and the hair never grew back again. I found out about castor oil 6 months back and after using it continuously on my brows, night and day my arch has finally begun to come back, it hasn't grown fully (length) but it is now way thicker than it was before it got waxed off.

As for my hair, after I turned 15 my hair started falling out quite a lot, it got me scared as I thought I was balding, so I started using shampoos and conditioners designed to help stop hair fall, it did improve slightly. I also would never go for haircuts cause just trying to grow my hair an inch would take months. But when I discovered castor oil, I thought if it helps hair growth it will definitely help reduce my hair loss. I have been using castor oil mixed with virgin coconut oil as castor alone is incredibly thick and is a nightmare to wash out. I use it once or twice a week and I have noticed that my hair loss has reduced dramatically and my hair has grown 3 inches longer in just a month, which was a huge shocker to me.

Not only is it great for hair growth but I use it on my feet as it is a thick oil it penetrates the dry skin there amazingly, really, you can use it on anywhere that you might have very dry skin, say the back of your elbows etc, but don't use it on your face as it might make you grow more facial hair.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Castor oil is the best! It is not only good for brow & lash growth...but also hydrates the brows and lashes you already have. I have taken a break from castor oil (thinking I did not need it) and saw a sharp decline in my brows and lashes (especially my bottom lashes) I have since been a castor oil devotee.

I use disposable mascara wands to apply. This helps to evenly distribute the oil, and carefully apply to lashes!

on 1/6/2016 9:07:00 AM

I haven't yet tried castor oil for eyelash/eyebrow growth, but I can say this much if you have eczema this oil works wonders. I have eczema inside my ears and nothing has helped with the insane itchiness and flakiness as when this skin condition flares up. I have scratched my ears until they've bled, as they itch so bad during a flare up. I've tried it all - tea tree and lavender oils, shea butter, argan, coconut, and olive oils, Lotrimin, etc. - nothing has cleared up this aggravation until I tried castor oil. I've rubbed the castor oil inside my ears for the past few nights and the results are amazing. No more itch and the flakiness is clearing up entirely. Wow. I don't know if this will work for everyone with eczema or dermatitis, but it's worth a shot. I buy the castor oil from the health food store which is cold pressed and hexane free. It's only around $7 a bottle and it should last a very long time. I also use a 10% blend of castor oil with Apricot Kernel oil for the oil cleansing method. Works great. I'm going to try this oil on my eyelashes and eyebrows and see if it really works for hair growth.

I bought a bottle of this at a hair stall about a year ago and have been using it nearly everynight since. I like to use it on a Q-tip on my eyelashes after removing my makeup as I find it takes off any excess mascara or eyeliner very well.

However, I also noticed that my eyelashes have definitely been healthier, stronger and longer since beginning using it. I've used a couple of cheap eyelash growth serums in the past that have done nothing for me so it's great to have found something equally as inexpensive but actually effective. I still have about 1/4 of a bottle left after a year too so it lasts a long time.

The one thing I would say is be careful getting this on your skin as I'm pretty sure it's been the cause of a couple of breakouts when I have accidentally done this. Because of this I wouldn't use it on my eyebrows as I think it would break me out a lot.

Popular Brows Products