4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 1/21/2016 2:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't use this on my eyelashes because they are already incredibly long, they reach my eyebrows when I look down. But I do use it on my eyebrows and on my hair and feet.

I used to have thick eyebrows but one day I went to get them shaped and the lady who normally does my brows wasn't there and this other lady completely waxed off my brows from the arch onward, and the hair never grew back again. I found out about castor oil 6 months back and after using it continuously on my brows, night and day my arch has finally begun to come back, it hasn't grown fully (length) but it is now way thicker than it was before it got waxed off.

As for my hair, after I turned 15 my hair started falling out quite a lot, it got me scared as I thought I was balding, so I started using shampoos and conditioners designed to help stop hair fall, it did improve slightly. I also would never go for haircuts cause just trying to grow my hair an inch would take months. But when I discovered castor oil, I thought if it helps hair growth it will definitely help reduce my hair loss. I have been using castor oil mixed with virgin coconut oil as castor alone is incredibly thick and is a nightmare to wash out. I use it once or twice a week and I have noticed that my hair loss has reduced dramatically and my hair has grown 3 inches longer in just a month, which was a huge shocker to me.

Not only is it great for hair growth but I use it on my feet as it is a thick oil it penetrates the dry skin there amazingly, really, you can use it on anywhere that you might have very dry skin, say the back of your elbows etc, but don't use it on your face as it might make you grow more facial hair.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Castor oil is the best! It is not only good for brow & lash growth...but also hydrates the brows and lashes you already have. I have taken a break from castor oil (thinking I did not need it) and saw a sharp decline in my brows and lashes (especially my bottom lashes) I have since been a castor oil devotee.

I use disposable mascara wands to apply. This helps to evenly distribute the oil, and carefully apply to lashes!

on 1/6/2016 9:07:00 AM

I haven't yet tried castor oil for eyelash/eyebrow growth, but I can say this much if you have eczema this oil works wonders. I have eczema inside my ears and nothing has helped with the insane itchiness and flakiness as when this skin condition flares up. I have scratched my ears until they've bled, as they itch so bad during a flare up. I've tried it all - tea tree and lavender oils, shea butter, argan, coconut, and olive oils, Lotrimin, etc. - nothing has cleared up this aggravation until I tried castor oil. I've rubbed the castor oil inside my ears for the past few nights and the results are amazing. No more itch and the flakiness is clearing up entirely. Wow. I don't know if this will work for everyone with eczema or dermatitis, but it's worth a shot. I buy the castor oil from the health food store which is cold pressed and hexane free. It's only around $7 a bottle and it should last a very long time. I also use a 10% blend of castor oil with Apricot Kernel oil for the oil cleansing method. Works great. I'm going to try this oil on my eyelashes and eyebrows and see if it really works for hair growth.

I bought a bottle of this at a hair stall about a year ago and have been using it nearly everynight since. I like to use it on a Q-tip on my eyelashes after removing my makeup as I find it takes off any excess mascara or eyeliner very well.

However, I also noticed that my eyelashes have definitely been healthier, stronger and longer since beginning using it. I've used a couple of cheap eyelash growth serums in the past that have done nothing for me so it's great to have found something equally as inexpensive but actually effective. I still have about 1/4 of a bottle left after a year too so it lasts a long time.

The one thing I would say is be careful getting this on your skin as I'm pretty sure it's been the cause of a couple of breakouts when I have accidentally done this. Because of this I wouldn't use it on my eyebrows as I think it would break me out a lot.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

This is a great cheap do-it-yourself trick to keep eyelashes healthy. I rub it on my lashes and around my eye area. It keeps my lashes healthy, and they seem stronger and fall out less. Here's a tip.: to keep oil from getting contaminated pour a little in a glass or disposable shot glass and apply with a Q tip or disposable mascara wands that can be cheaply bought in large bags. You oil and application tools will always be fresh and clean.Can't go wrong with this natural product far as I can see.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff is awful. How can anyone tolerate it on their eyelids? Based on the reviews I read, I purchased a bottle of hexane-free, cold-pressed castor oil. After two days of use, my eyelids were swollen and incessantly itchy. I developed a rash on the upper and lower lids, and my eyes were inflamed. I did some online research and discovered that castor oil contains ricin--a deadly poison. Ricin can also cause a severe allergic reaction and lead to cornea damage after prolonged use.

I'll stick with my Boots No. 7 Fanomenal Lash Serum. It's slow-acting, but it works. More importantly, it doesn't irritate my eyes.

I had been trying to grow out my naturally thick, but over plucked brows since July. The growth was very patchy and certain hairs would not grow. I had read that castor oil could help, but didn't get around to buying any until 2 weeks ago when I got frustrated with the patchiness, and waiting for the hairs to grow back. I was amazed to find several hairs had sprouted the morning after the first application, and have continued to do so daily, unlike the months before, when new hairs would appear only after a few weeks. Therefore I am certain this is not a coincidence. I just wish I'd starter using this at the start of my brow growing journey - they would have been on point by now!! I'd recommend this to anyone trying to grow brows, although I have read that it will only encourage growth where hair previously grew naturally, there is nothing to loose. I also makes the hairs look glossy and thick.

on 11/25/2015 1:04:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

I think that after about 1 month of use I have enough evidence to write this review. I started using castor oil on my brows, but without much hope that it will achieve anything. Still, there must've been a glimmer of hope there somewhere :-) - right?
I am the victim of the 70s fashion - thin, archy, plucked eyebrows. My original eyebrows were thick, almost 'manly' in appearance. I've been plucking for so long, that one day I realised that there is no need to pluck any more.
With age, my hair went white, my brows faded, and for a time now I've been dyeing the brows - makes really big difference, but I need to do it about every 2-3 weeks. So this is the background.
About a month ago I decided to try the castor oil magic - mostly incited by positive reviews here. Thank you thank you thank you!!! I bought a bottle of just plain regular castor oil (not organic) at the chemist shop. Very cheap. I had an empty serum pump bottle that could be opened and refilled - I wanted to use a dispensing bottle where there is minimal contact of my fingers with the oil. I've been using the oil most nights (sometimes I forget) and recently started noticing a timid but visible growth under the brows, in the plucked wastelands. I need a good magnifying mirror to actually see these tiny hair, but they are definitely there, and growing, and looking dark. This is not the facial 'fuzz' but proper baby brow hair. I am absolutely thrilled!
I've been using the oil on the lashes as well, but my lashes are decently long and thick, so I didn't notice that much difference.

on 11/17/2015 7:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

MAGIC IN A BOTTLE. I started using cold-pressed organic castor oil (purchased on Amazon for about $14) on my lashes about 7 months ago. I have always had very short and straight lashes and was so jealous of those girls with the beautiful long lashes. If Latisse didn't scare me with the possible side effect of skin darkening, I would've tried it already. I hoped this would give me just a little length. I also started using the after using waterproof mascara damaged my lashes...I was loosing at least 3 lashes from each eye each night no matter how gentle I was removing my makeup. I actually had a few bald gaps in my lashes...horrifying. I apply this every night using an old liner brush to the roots of my upper and lower lashes and smooth a little through the length. After about a month, I could see tiny little lashes poking out in places where I didn't used to have them. I was truly amazed to actually see the volume building. I wanted this to work but honestly wasn't expecting results this early or this obvious. Around the 4 month mark is when I started to really notice a big increase in length. At 7 months now, my lashes have NEVER been this long. I'm also barely 1/4 way through my bottle. I will never stop using this. I still can't get over how well this worked. All I can say is be patient...you're not going to see major results overnight but over time, it really truly does work. People say they find it drying which I find really interesting because I find this really moisturizing under my eyes! I wake up in the morning and the skin is so soft and almost plumped?

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I used cold pressed castor oil ($11 AUD) for 100 mls. Quite expensive. Using it as hair mask, OCM, brows, and lashes. I like to mix this with almond oil and/or coconut oil to help it spread better. For OCM, if I massaged it long enough, I felt tiny grains coming out (I think they're sebum plugs that clog my pores?), so I think that's very cleansing. I only do it 2x a week. For hair, brows, and lashes, I haven't noticed a difference yet in hair growth or any reduction in hair falls (my brows and lashes don't experience hair fall/breakage though) - this is day 4. I found castor oil is quite drying as well. I remembered I put only castor oil the night before on my lashes, then the next morning my eyeliner tugged on my eyelids (usually the eyeliner is smooth and creamy, this is an automatic pencil type of liner). So now I always mix it.

UPDATE 2/12/15: I used this on my brows and eyelashes. Yeah I saw some growth in the brows area, but it clogged my skin! Literally pimples on my brow. Not happy. I'll keep using it for my lashes. No improvement on the hair fall when used as a hair treatment.

OKAY! I think this broke me out so bad! I think it's because of the "ricin" which is a toxic substance in castor oil that can cause severe allergic reaction. I bought cold pressed version and this ricin substance only get inactivated through heat…

Popular Brows Products