4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

I bought a bottle of this at a hair stall about a year ago and have been using it nearly everynight since. I like to use it on a Q-tip on my eyelashes after removing my makeup as I find it takes off any excess mascara or eyeliner very well.

However, I also noticed that my eyelashes have definitely been healthier, stronger and longer since beginning using it. I've used a couple of cheap eyelash growth serums in the past that have done nothing for me so it's great to have found something equally as inexpensive but actually effective. I still have about 1/4 of a bottle left after a year too so it lasts a long time.

The one thing I would say is be careful getting this on your skin as I'm pretty sure it's been the cause of a couple of breakouts when I have accidentally done this. Because of this I wouldn't use it on my eyebrows as I think it would break me out a lot.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

This is a great cheap do-it-yourself trick to keep eyelashes healthy. I rub it on my lashes and around my eye area. It keeps my lashes healthy, and they seem stronger and fall out less. Here's a tip.: to keep oil from getting contaminated pour a little in a glass or disposable shot glass and apply with a Q tip or disposable mascara wands that can be cheaply bought in large bags. You oil and application tools will always be fresh and clean.Can't go wrong with this natural product far as I can see.

on 11/17/2015 7:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

MAGIC IN A BOTTLE. I started using cold-pressed organic castor oil (purchased on Amazon for about $14) on my lashes about 7 months ago. I have always had very short and straight lashes and was so jealous of those girls with the beautiful long lashes. If Latisse didn't scare me with the possible side effect of skin darkening, I would've tried it already. I hoped this would give me just a little length. I also started using the after using waterproof mascara damaged my lashes...I was loosing at least 3 lashes from each eye each night no matter how gentle I was removing my makeup. I actually had a few bald gaps in my lashes...horrifying. I apply this every night using an old liner brush to the roots of my upper and lower lashes and smooth a little through the length. After about a month, I could see tiny little lashes poking out in places where I didn't used to have them. I was truly amazed to actually see the volume building. I wanted this to work but honestly wasn't expecting results this early or this obvious. Around the 4 month mark is when I started to really notice a big increase in length. At 7 months now, my lashes have NEVER been this long. I'm also barely 1/4 way through my bottle. I will never stop using this. I still can't get over how well this worked. All I can say is be patient...you're not going to see major results overnight but over time, it really truly does work. People say they find it drying which I find really interesting because I find this really moisturizing under my eyes! I wake up in the morning and the skin is so soft and almost plumped?

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff is awful. How can anyone tolerate it on their eyelids? Based on the reviews I read, I purchased a bottle of hexane-free, cold-pressed castor oil. After two days of use, my eyelids were swollen and incessantly itchy. I developed a rash on the upper and lower lids, and my eyes were inflamed. I did some online research and discovered that castor oil contains ricin--a deadly poison. Ricin can also cause a severe allergic reaction and lead to cornea damage after prolonged use.

I'll stick with my Boots No. 7 Fanomenal Lash Serum. It's slow-acting, but it works. More importantly, it doesn't irritate my eyes.

on 11/25/2015 1:04:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

I think that after about 1 month of use I have enough evidence to write this review. I started using castor oil on my brows, but without much hope that it will achieve anything. Still, there must've been a glimmer of hope there somewhere :-) - right?
I am the victim of the 70s fashion - thin, archy, plucked eyebrows. My original eyebrows were thick, almost 'manly' in appearance. I've been plucking for so long, that one day I realised that there is no need to pluck any more.
With age, my hair went white, my brows faded, and for a time now I've been dyeing the brows - makes really big difference, but I need to do it about every 2-3 weeks. So this is the background.
About a month ago I decided to try the castor oil magic - mostly incited by positive reviews here. Thank you thank you thank you!!! I bought a bottle of just plain regular castor oil (not organic) at the chemist shop. Very cheap. I had an empty serum pump bottle that could be opened and refilled - I wanted to use a dispensing bottle where there is minimal contact of my fingers with the oil. I've been using the oil most nights (sometimes I forget) and recently started noticing a timid but visible growth under the brows, in the plucked wastelands. I need a good magnifying mirror to actually see these tiny hair, but they are definitely there, and growing, and looking dark. This is not the facial 'fuzz' but proper baby brow hair. I am absolutely thrilled!
I've been using the oil on the lashes as well, but my lashes are decently long and thick, so I didn't notice that much difference.

I had been trying to grow out my naturally thick, but over plucked brows since July. The growth was very patchy and certain hairs would not grow. I had read that castor oil could help, but didn't get around to buying any until 2 weeks ago when I got frustrated with the patchiness, and waiting for the hairs to grow back. I was amazed to find several hairs had sprouted the morning after the first application, and have continued to do so daily, unlike the months before, when new hairs would appear only after a few weeks. Therefore I am certain this is not a coincidence. I just wish I'd starter using this at the start of my brow growing journey - they would have been on point by now!! I'd recommend this to anyone trying to grow brows, although I have read that it will only encourage growth where hair previously grew naturally, there is nothing to loose. I also makes the hairs look glossy and thick.

on 8/16/2015 9:25:00 PM

I heard that this helps grow eyebrows. It didn't work for me and was a waste of time in that regard.

But I found that this works pretty well for oil cleansing when mixed with another oil (coconut, jojoba, avocado, whatever works for you). It's a thick oil and it adds a little more friction to the oil massage. I follow with a foaming cleanser and my skin is left super-clean.

But even so, I don't feel like this is something I can't live without. And when my bottle runs out I don't plan to repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I used cold pressed castor oil ($11 AUD) for 100 mls. Quite expensive. Using it as hair mask, OCM, brows, and lashes. I like to mix this with almond oil and/or coconut oil to help it spread better. For OCM, if I massaged it long enough, I felt tiny grains coming out (I think they're sebum plugs that clog my pores?), so I think that's very cleansing. I only do it 2x a week. For hair, brows, and lashes, I haven't noticed a difference yet in hair growth or any reduction in hair falls (my brows and lashes don't experience hair fall/breakage though) - this is day 4. I found castor oil is quite drying as well. I remembered I put only castor oil the night before on my lashes, then the next morning my eyeliner tugged on my eyelids (usually the eyeliner is smooth and creamy, this is an automatic pencil type of liner). So now I always mix it.

UPDATE 2/12/15: I used this on my brows and eyelashes. Yeah I saw some growth in the brows area, but it clogged my skin! Literally pimples on my brow. Not happy. I'll keep using it for my lashes. No improvement on the hair fall when used as a hair treatment.

OKAY! I think this broke me out so bad! I think it's because of the "ricin" which is a toxic substance in castor oil that can cause severe allergic reaction. I bought cold pressed version and this ricin substance only get inactivated through heat…

I tried this on my lashes and brows. It made my eyes extremely puffy so I had to stop using it on my eyelashes. For brows it worked miracles! Literally after using this for a few days I noticed new brow hairs growing. Sad thing it made my eyes puffy coz I bet this would have worked miracles for my lashes too..

on 10/12/2015 9:41:00 AM

I had long lashes but they were really thin..even shed a lot..I somehow knew that castor oil is good for lash and brow but never tried it before...why didn't I!!!..it makes my lashes so thick after just 2 weeks of use that people asks me which brand of water color mascara I use..cause it looks so natural!
but the sad fact is, it didn't help me with my hairline :-(.. I hate it on my scalp..feels so heavy..and I don't notice any visible change like my lashes..
still I am giving it full marks cause castor oil saved my lashes...

Popular Brows Products