L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream

L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream
Magic Skin Beautifier BB CreamMagic Skin Beautifier BB Cream

3.3

Oh, how I love this stuff! I have crazy fair combo skin, with a really pale, neutral undertone and a lovely case of rosacea on my cheeks. I also have some acne scarring, and massive pores. It has NOT been easy to find anything that works with all of these factors! I went on a crazy foundation spree (thank heavens for Sephora, because I was able to take them all back!), and up until trying this L'Oreal BB cream, I was just about to keep a $50 foundation. Well, I bought this on a whim, and I'm so glad I did! It's not anything like a BB cream to me; I've tried Skin 79 Hot Pink, the ones from Garnier and Boscia, as well as the Smashbox BB cream, and the consistency of the L'Oreal one is nothing like them. If any of you have tried the Almay Smart Shade, it's really similar in texture to that, with a super-thin, almost gritty texture to the color beads; but it's more buildable, and doesn't oxidize the way the Almay does. I will say that if you have super-dry skin, this may not be moisturizing enough for you, but for combo/oily, you should be in great shape. The "fair" shade was a perfect match for my near-porcelain skin, it did a wonderful job hiding my pores and rosacea, and has a really lovely, natural-looking matte-to-satin finish to it. For $10 or so per tube (and this stuff goes a LONG way!), this stuff is totally worth a shot - it may even become an HG for you, as it has been for me!

**Update** I think this definitely worked better for me before my skin started to get a bit dry in the winter, because it can tend to accentuate any dry patches/flakiness you have, and it tends to settle under eyes, around sides of nose, etc. Still a good product, but DEFINITELY not for drier or "wrinklier" skin.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I am REALLY suprised by how much I like this. I guess because it sounded too good to be true.

Foundations are hard for me because I have oily skin which is also becoming "mature" skin. Most of the workhorse foundations that I relied on for so many years no longer work because they are too heavy, too drying or too matte, which can make aging skin, even oily aging skin, look older and exacerbate all the issues I'm trying to hide.

So I've been experimenting with lighter, sheerer formulations, which do help me look more youthful. Unfortunately, most of them just can't stand up the oil my skin still produces in copious amounts every day.

But to my surprise, this really performed well! It is light coverage, but it still does great job evening out my skin tone and covering minor issues. I have to rely on a concealer to hide major blemishes and my dark undereye circles, but I've always done that anyway, as it looks more natural than slathering on a uniformly heavy layer of foundation.

I do not find that it dries too quickly and I have no trouble blending it as some others have. It does have a *slightly* gritty feel, due to tiny little color capsules, but honestly, it's no big deal. Once blended it provides a very smooth, beautiful finish that is neither too matte nor too dewy. It's extremely natural and pretty.

As far as oil control, I wouldn't say that it controls oil, but it does withstand oil pretty well and doesn't seem to break down into a patchy, blotchy mess. I went about 4 hours before blotting, which is pretty darned good, considering the extent of my oiliness. I did powder later in the day, probably around the six hour mark. But again, I consider this pretty good performance from a product that is not specifically formulated for oily skin. Because I enjoy the light coverage and the natural finish, I'm willing to deal with powdering occasionally, especially since it didn't result in a cakey mask like mess. Just a bit of powder freshened it up nicely. If you are only moderately oily or have normal skin, this would be probably be a really low maintenance product for you.

The color...I was really concerned about the color selection because I am very pale, with sallow undertones. When I sampled the "light" selection in the store, it turned a very alarming shade of peach on my forearm. I took a chance on the "fair" and I'm happy to say that not only is it light enough, it seems to be completely neutral in tone. No pink or peach hints, but no yellow either. I think this would work on fair complections with both sallow and pink undertones.

As far as changing the overall condition of skin, I can't comment yet on that, as I've only been using it a few days. But that's not really why I purchased this product. If it helps improve the overall condition of my skin then so much the better.

on 7/5/2012 7:27:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Overall I like this.. I don't think it's a traditional BB cream, but it's like a super light, very natural looking fndtn w/a satin/matte finish.. & it's long wearing.. Imagine if Revlon CS was light coverage & looked like skin if you will.. I find it funny it has no SPF, but eh I prefer physical SS anyways & this will work well for photos.. I think this is perfect for combo& oily ppl.. I've not broken out once, I've worn this in crazy heat (100f+) & it stayed on.. I wear "fair" and I'm NC/NW10.. This doesn't break me out at all & oxidize on me either (I'm combo) and I do set w/my HG powder-3CC trans. loose.. I got this on a whim as I am normally not fond of Loreal face products & I figured it'd be too dark.. But eh i could return to CVS if it sucked.. II was surprised it wasn't.. I'm wearing this more than my HE fndtns.. Who would've thought Loreal of all brands & at the DS! Im going to use this on a bride who hates fndtn.. & buy one for my sister.. I'm impressed..

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I understand that this isn't a traditional BB cream, but I do really, really like it. I bought this in Light and it is a bit too dark for me (NW20 for reference). When I repurchase I will pick up the Fair shade. I like that this has a lightweight, matte finish and lasts all day (in an indoor environment, at least - haven't really tested it out in the outdoor heat yet). I've worn it alone and as a primer under Revlon CS Whipped foundation and had no complaints. It evens out my skin tone, has light coverage, and blends out easily with fingertips.

on 7/2/2012 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I'm not clear why this would be labeled as a 'BB' cream....it's truly not. This isn't a foundation or even a TM either. IMO this would be best referred to as a primer. A non-illuminating, mattifying, imperfection diffusing primer.
This was a whim purchase hadn't seen it before and at the time I bought it there were no reviews on MUA. $7.94US at Wmart figured what's to lose.....
I purchased the shade Fair and have been using it for a few weeks now. I am really liking this actually. It doesn't turn orange on me at all. This has a truly neutral undertone. NW15-20 right now.
I can apply this and dust BE mineral veil, bronzer and a lg and have a totally natural look for daytime. (Went to an unplanned lunch a few days ago and sat directly in front of a sunny window and unknwn, young, waitress had to tell me how 'beautiful' my skin was...(wtf?? I'm 45!) I have uneven skin tone that this totally masks somehow.
For evening I have been smearing this all over including eyelids and then just stippling a light layer of a true foundation over the tops of my cheeks, undereye and forehead and then a light dusting of HD powder to set after eyes, blush etc. Really flawless look. Really. I'm not using 2 separate primers now/face/eye/ so bonus.
Some cons are that I need lotion underneath or it looks patchy on my cheeks. The gritty texture is a little uncomfortable but dealable.
I'll probably go thru a tube a month wearing everyday. I even just swipe it on no makeup days because it really gives my a smooth difused, healthy looking complexion, with no transfer.
I use OCM or Albolene and have no problem removing.
I will purchase again!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

To start off, I have never used a BB cream. However, from the description of BB creams I thought I would never be able to use one. I have super oily skin that can be acne prone. I also have somewhat of an uneven complexion and my complexion always looks red.

I was using Bare Mineral Matte before this, and I was realizing that it was making my skin look very dull and ashy.I bought this on a whim just to try it out and I am so, so happy that I did. This does not give full coverage (it's comparable to bare minerals or a tinted moisturizer in regards to coverage) but it left my skin looking healthier, like I wasn't wearing makeup. The thing that surprised me was that it was matte and stayed put. I wore this to the beach today, normally I wouldn't wear any makeup to the beach but this just feels like tinted moisturizer and I'm excited about it. This lasted through the sun and sweat all day! There is not sunscreen, which I think is a plus, no greasies or white face in pictures, so some may not like that. I would also skip over this if you have super dry skin or need a lot of coverage. I will definitely continue to buy- the best face makeup I have ever tried (I've tried Bare Minerals (regular and matte), Revlon Colorstay, Laura Mercier tinted foundation, and several drugstore mineral makeups).

on 6/28/2012 11:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is a great product if you take it for what it is. It is not a tinted moisturizer, nor is it a BB cream (as I have understood traditional Asian BB creams to be, I have not used one, I have used the American versions). They call it a "skin beautifier" and I would say that is accurate.

First, it runs dark... and there is a huge difference between "fair" and "light", with "light" being the tester available. If you would normally pick up "light" get "fair", it is MUCH lighter. I am currently a W3 in true match and "fair" is fine. I do believe from using it that there is some adjustment in tone when applied, and it is quite sheer, so one shade would be able to be used by a range of skin tones. I believe "fair" would be acceptable for even very light skin tones.. However "light" is definitely more like "medium" compared to most foundations. It has not oxidized on me, and does not appear the slightest bit orange.

The product comes out clear, with beads that break and adjust the tone when rubbed in. It is quite thin, and very lightweight. You really want to apply this with fingers, to work in the beads. It dries quickly, so apply in sections. It does smooth skin texture, and "give an improved appearance to bare skin" as advertised.. the key word there is "bare". It is not a foundation, it is not going to cover blemishes, etc. It does improve the appearance of my skin though- it looks like I have nothing on, but my coloring is much better and more even, my skin looks healthier, and much smoother. The first time I applied it I did half my face to compare- and could definitely see and feel a difference. My face felt very smooth, like I had applied a silicone primer, but dry (in a good way, not dried out) at the same time with no oily, wet, or sticky residue. It has lasted all day in the heat, and I was outside for a few hours.

It does not contain sunscreen- which is a plus for me. I am very sensitive to them and can only wear a few products, most that contain sunscreen break me out terribly. I can put my compatible sunscreen under it, or powder with spf over it and all is good. It is supposed to improve skin over time with the inclusion of vitamins etc., only time will tell if that is the case.

The finish is matte- which is a big change from every other TM or "BB" cream I have tried. They all leave me greasy and shiny, this does not. I think it is a great product for those who have oily skin who are looking for a product to improve their skin tone, especially in the summer. I don't know how much actual oil control it has, I do wear a good primer so I had no problems with breakthrough, but it did not add any additional oil or interfere with the performance of my primer. It did give a luminous, brighter quality to my skin, without any trace of shine. I don't know how to explain it.. but it did.

I think this is a great product for someone who wants to improve their skin while not wishing to wear a foundation, or those wearing a powder foundation. It is excellent for days when you do not want, or do not have time, to apply makeup. It only takes a second to rub in, and it makes a difference. It may make a great primer as well, if you have normal skin. I found with a bit of concealer and a good powder it made a big difference in the appearance of my skin while having next to nothing on it.

*Update*
I originally thought this would be a good product for those odd days when I didn't want to wear makeup... just a natural "toss on a bit of powder" look. I have been wearing this for a week straight. I recently found a fantastic foundation that I love, yet still find myself reaching for this instead. It not only lasts all day, looks great under a good powder, is very easy to apply, and is super lightweight.. but it has improved my skin. It is softer, smoother, and has evened my color. I suffered with melasma with my pregnancies, and each time it got worse. Even now, years later, I have traces of it and it gets worse whenever I am in the sun. This has made quite a lot of it disappear, and I have only been using it a week. My skin looks better everyday. Really great product that has not been getting the attention it deserves.

WAY WAY WAY WAY too dark and orange for my pale skin. Obviously this will always be an issue for people with light skin but this genuinely turned my skin carrot orange the second I applied it. I let it sit a while hoping it would settle and look like a normal skin color (I did buy it in the lightest shade, "light") but alas, it got more and more orange. It stayed on all day so if this cream matches your skin color you will have luck as far as that is concerned. It didn't feel awful on my skin; it didn't feel like I had product on, and I will agree it left my skin matte. It did not moisturize, however, and once again the coloring is just wrong, wrong wrong. It didn't cover up any acne scarring either, and I have no acne currently (so I was not aiming for heavy coverage or anything), but to not cover up a few marks? Come on, at least do that! Luckily this is an easy return at CVS, and I advise those with pale skin to avoid this product as I can garuntee it will not match your coloring!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

With normal foundations and bb creams I'd say go with what you think would be your color choice, but not with this one. Medium is dark. It's what normally would be called tan in most products. If you're MAC NW20-25, go for the Light shade. Light sells out first once people realize how dark the shade range is, and each shade doesn't have a tester. There was one tester for all of them. This looks like an icing tube, and the product is thin and white, with these tiny bubbles in it. On contact with your skin those burst and the color shows up. One thing I love about it is that this sets on your skin. It won't sit there as a greasy or dewy mess. Better for oily skin or hot climates with a lot of humidity. It gives a really good amount of coverage and feels light. I cannot stand the feeling of foundations when it's over 80 degrees outside, so this will get used daily this summer.

on 6/27/2012 11:27:00 AM

LOVE this! This skin beautifier is simply amazing!!!! It goes on very light, non greasy, and it even out skin tone magically. It supposed to use as a primer but i think it totally can use it alone for a natural nude look. I use it under my mineral makeup the result is flawless and make my skin looks healthy.For just $10 you GOTTA give it a try. Color run dark, so beware.