Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 8/14/2001 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have oily skin which tends to break out. Typically I like a nice, foaming cleanser that leaves my skin feeling cleaner than clean, almost tight and dry. When I first used Cetaphil I hated it because it doesn't give me that squeaky-clean feeling. However, this past winter I gave it another shot, and I'm hooked. I love this stuff, and have been using it for almost a year. I use it in the morning and right before I go to bed. (It's one flaw is that it isn't good at tackling make-up, so I use the oily skin version to remove my "face" at the end of the day). Cetaphil leaves my skin feeling soft and clean. Also since I've started using Retin-A again, I need something gentle to keep the dryness at bay. It took some getting used to, but now I can't be without this product. It is a staple in my bathroom cabinet.

I like cetaphil but i find its actually more drying than my OOO facial clothes. I guess for moderately dry skin its good but for very dry skin you shouldn't rinse with water but rather wipe with a cloth. I really prefer rinsing with water.

Granted, it's not luxurious to use and it's not good at removing makeup, but it is GENTLE. My skin (which is normally oily) went through a rough time this winter when I was using a glycolic acid cleanser, plus Differin, to treat some breakouts. I ended up with flaky patches, redness, roughness. All the moisturizers in the world didn't seem to help, but the minute I used this in place of my normal oily-skin cleanser, the condition got MUCH better.

on 8/3/2001 1:58:00 AM

This is by no means a glamourous cleanser. The package is awkward and ugly, it doesn't have any fancy ingredients in it, and it doesn't create miracles on the skin. HOWEVER, this is a product that is great for irritated (from sun or acne medication), super sensative or those with normal skin who don't wear makeup. Does not foam or remove makeup.

on 8/1/2001 11:06:00 AM

I like this product a lot...i don't use it as a face wash though, unless it's in the pump and it's for oily skin types.. I use the squeeze bottle as a face moisturizer before i put my makeup on and it just ads a soft touchable feeling :)

on 7/31/2001 1:47:00 PM

Yuck, I hated this. It didn't remove any of my makeup and it left a gooey film that just wouldn't go away. My face still felt dirty. Yuck.

on 7/21/2001 3:46:00 PM

I love this product. It leaves my skin soft and gentle. This was a great buy since I have very sensitive skin.

on 7/21/2001 11:05:00 AM

I'm going through a phase where I'm trying different cleansers to see which ones work the best for removing makeup - this is one I would not purchase again. It's relatively inexpensive (I believe I paid around $8 for the bottle), reminded me of my Fresh Soy Cleanser in texture, but when applied it did not do a very good job of removing my makeup. It made my face feel as though I had applied hand lotion to it afterward - a heavy and warm feeling on my face after wiping it off. I wouldn't buy it again, but every one is different on how it works for them. Still looking for a cleanser!

on 7/13/2001 3:57:00 AM

I have two extremely rare skin conditions which make makeup and skin care practically a game of Russian Roulette. Since reading Paula Begoun's recommendations of this product and switching to it ten years ago, I have had the lowest incidence of skin irritation in my life, and this includes a period wherein I underwent massive hormonal/mood changes with PPMD. I love this product! I sympathise with the members who tried this product without success, but I would caution buyers to remember two things: 1)everyone has different body chemistry and sensitivities, so what works for one won't necessarily work for all and 2) unless a generic brand lists all ingredients in the same order and proportion as the branded product, it is not the *same* formulation.

on 7/8/2001 2:02:00 AM

I HATE this product!!! It is way too hyped. This did nothing for my skin. It didn't feel moisturized, just filmy. My skin did not feel clean at all and it did not remove makeup well. I do not recommend.