L'Oreal HIP Flawless Liquid Makeup [DISCONTINUED]

L'Oreal HIP Flawless Liquid Makeup [DISCONTINUED]

3.6

Ingredients Water Isododecane Cyclopentasiloxane Glycerin Cyclohexasiloxane PEG-10 Dimethicone Poly(methyl Methacrylate) Butylene Glycol Dimethicone Isoeicosane Disteardimonium Hectorite Cetyl Peg/PPG-10/ 1 Dimethicone Sodium Chloride C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphates POLYGLYCERYL-4 Isostearate Hexyl Laureate Isostearyl Neopentanoate Diazolidinylurea Methyl Paraben Propyl Paraben Vitamin E Panthenol Aluminum Oxide Iron Oxide Mica Titanium Dioxide

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Other

I really like this foundation. It may not be my ideal, but it is certainly close. I certainly prefer this to the True Match foundation (which couldn't be further from a true match if it tried). The finish is smooth and the coverage is even and very natural. I have this in Cappucino and Tawny. My African American skin has both cool and warm undertones, so I put the two colors on different parts of my face. I do wish this came in a pump bottle, as it tends to run out of the bottle really easily. For any woman of color who has trouble finding a matching foundation, I recommend that you check HIP out. This foundation is the closest I have come, and it even has a shade that matched my super-yellow skinned mother. For those of you who are complaining about the lack of color selection, welcome to our world! I think its pretty obvious that this line was made for women of color, hence the richer pigments and use of models of color. L'Oreal (not to mention every other brand on the market) has about 15 other foundations for paler-skinned women that you may want to check out instead of giving this a bad rating.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I've never worn foundation before because I could never find a shade to match my skin tone. I bought this yesterday, and it matches perfectly. It doesn't feel or look like there is anything on my face, it just looks like I have flawless radiant skin.
EDIT: This makes my face shine like new money. I was looking at photos my friends and I took, and I looked like a complete greaseball. I changed the rating from 5 to 3 because of the shine factor even though it's a perfect match for my skin. Perhaps I was supposed to wear it with powder. Luckily, my skin has cleared up, so I don't have to wear this anymore.

on 12/18/2006 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

The color selection is amazing, but the drawback is that it's hard to figure out which one will suit you best. L'oreal needs to come out with a sampler for the shades. That said, I love this stuff and it rivals MAC. I normally wear NC43, NC45 in summer. I bought HIP in Cappuccino (812) and it's a tad too dark. According to the site, the next color down is Fawn (810), but reading the reviews here, I may need to go with Honey (806) or Cafe (808). I will definitely be purchasing another bottle, though.

As far as those who are upset that no shade in the line is light enough for their skin...well, now you know how we've been feeling all these years. Kudos to L'Oreal for finally acknowledging us.

Edit: Fawn has red undertones, so I went down to Cafe (808). This is the right match, but I'm concerned that the foundation has a slight greenish cast on my skin - which I've found to be a problem with other L'Oreal foundations. I think I'm in between yellow and neutral tones (which is why MAC works so well for me) and "yellow" based drugstore foundations can make me look green. A shame, because Cappuchino its a BEAUTIFUL shade without this problem.

on 11/9/2006 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I really wanted to like this foundation. I bought it in sand and in nude. I have extremely yellow undertones so the color was perfect for me. I have been reading that this would work for dry skin however it made my face looke really cakey. I even tried it with my La Mer and it just settled on my face. Sadly I don't plan on purchasing this again.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

BRAVO!!! LOVE THIS FOUNDATION
#818 Teak worked well for me; DDD with yellow & red undertones(NW45). I wear with my Iman Oil Blotting P/P in Light/Medium & a few spritz of BenNye Final Seal.

PROS: Very smooth, creamy texture. Great buildable coverage. So don't need concealer. Feels light weight on skin. L'Oreal did a wonderful job creating natural/wearable shades for us ladies of color. No breakouts. Looks wonderful all day long. Well worth the $12 pricetag. But you can get it on a BOGO event or on ebay.

CONS: Like most liquids, doesn't hold up to moisture well. So I switch to just powder & Ben Nye 'Final Seal' in the warmest summer months.
***** UPDATE 2/28/07 *****I wrote to L'Oreal because I was so afraid this foundation was being d/c. Here is their response:

February 28, 2007

Thank you for your interest in HIP Foundation SPF 15.

This product is available and has not been discontinued. We offer our complete line of products to the stores, and it is the store manager's decision which products the store will carry. If your local store does not have this product in stock, please ask the store manager to order it for you.

L'Oral Paris products are available at mass market retailers, drugstores, and supermarkets nationwide.
You can order many of our products online. Please visit our website again at www.lorealparisusa.com and look for the "Shop" feature for links to online retailers and e-tailers.

Please be aware that the online retailers and e-tailers listed may not carry our complete line of products and shades. Promotional items are not available for purchase online.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Claudette I. Williams
Consumer Affairs Supervisor
Ref # 3967509
continued >>

on 11/20/2006 1:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I also got this free with the coupon and I would buy it at full price definitely. It has excellent coverage and the color is good. I am Native American, so my skin tone is sort of medium-tone olive skin. I normally use Sand in L'oreal and I may go a bit lighter with this line. I like that it is focused on darker skinned women (we are the majority anyway!). I realize that this may not work for lighter skinned women, but there are ALOT of options out there in that color range, so no big deal.

I was using Urban Decay Supernatural, but found it provided too much coverage and now actually use it as a concealer! It also made me breakout. I was using Costco's Borghese makeup, but found it provided to little coverage, but no breakouts. HIP has the best of both worlds. I also like this better than TrueMatch (another L'oreal makeup). TrueMatch seemed okay, but not great too me. This is something I will use again and again. I have oily skin and use beta hydroxy exfoliant lotion under my makeup, so I have not experienced any mask-like effect.

UPDATE: I found the color after a while to be too strong.

on 10/29/2006 1:58:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

It's great that women of color are being noticed and have found shades that matches us. I know a few posters here are complaining that the colors are 'too dark', well, now you know how it feels to match your skin tone. There are tons of foundation choices for women who are 'paler', so don't give this a low rating just because you can't find your color choice. In addition, L'oreal has claimed that this is a makeup line for women of medium to darker skintones.

on 10/14/2006 7:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I honestly really wanted to like this foundation. No kidding, I really wanted to. I went to Savons this week because there is a buy one get one free special on this L'Oreal HIP brand so I decided to try this foundation. I ended up buying the lightest shade which was nude and I really thought I would work just because it was supposed to be yellow based. I tried it on the next morning and my face literally turned orange. I'm not even joking...I even tried mixing this stuff with MAC Studio Finish liquid foundation NC25 (I'm NC30) and it was not too good. I wanted to return this foundation, but to my luck my mom threw the reciept in the trash can. Total bummer because their bronzer is awesome! I love MAC stuff, but L'Oreal HIP bronzer is the best, unlike their foundation. Now I'm just going to stick with MAC foundations and powders because everything else sucks for my skintone.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I have med. olive hispanic skin w/ yellow undertones. One of these days I'll buy MAC foundation so I can be hip and refer to my skin color by a series of letters & numbers. I've always had a rough time finding something to match my skin tone. This seems to be pigmented especially for rich & darker skin tones. Which is just fine with me. The color options are just perfect for me. The foundation glides on smoothly and there isn't a HINT of streakiness. I do agree with one of the reviewers in that I wish it came in a pump bottle or something more efficent. Other than that I'm pleased with this foundation! I'd imagine though it wouldn't be a crowd favorite with lighter skinned ladies. I *heart* it though!

on 10/28/2006 1:11:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is the only concealer I've been 100% happy with. There isn't an overpowering smell, applies on smoothly, lasts for a long time, I found my exact shade very easily, and was on sale at Ulta!

I especially love that it doesn't give me a "cakey" look, which most foundations do. L'oreal tends to make good ones. I'll definitely repurchase.