Chanel No.5

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Chanel No.5

3.7

I was first aware of Chanel #5 in high school, as a good friend wore this. I remember the beautiful, elegant bottle sitting on her armoire in her big bedroom of her mother's Victoria-era home. I have always known that the name Chanel is synonymous with elegance, class and style. Yet, Chanel #5 smelled putrid, pungent, dusty and very chemical-like to my young nose. It did not smell nice on my friend, but I did respect the fragrance. I just assumed that it was better suited for a more mature women or perhaps, even, just did not mix well with my friend's chemistry. I so wish that this was the case. It has been over fifteen years since those first experiences with #5 and nothing has changed. I have smelled this on at least 100 or more women of all different types and this fragrance stays the same. I have tried to wear this many times and now that I am 31, I think that it is safe to say that I have given #5 every opportunity to impress me. No matter who wears this...even if I catch a whiff straight out of the bottle, all that I ever smell is a cold, dusty, sharp, chemical-infused old crypt. I would never be disrepectful or say that I "hate" Chanel #5. Yet, I strongly dislike this and I have yet to enjoy this perfume on anyone...ever.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I disagree with the statement that Chanel no5 can only be worn by older women. I have been wearing it since I was 17 and I still love it! People always comment on how nice I smell, and this perfume is really MY smell. It is quite expensive, but this exquisite scent is totally worth the price!

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have to laugh as I read all of the negative reviews on this legendary scent. There was a time when I was younger (in my early 20's let's say), and I, too, could not get a handle on it and could not wear it. It was a little too much of everything, and seemed to wear me instead of the other way around. It was strong, it was potent, it screamed from the mountain tops. It was sharp and shrill and sour and suffocatingly powdery all at the same time. Oh, what a difference a couple of decades make, however! I'm chuckling softly to myself, "Ah, yes, dear girls. Wait and see. Wait and see," because, let me tell you body chemistry makes ALL the difference. These days, I'm hard pressed to find a scent that is more beautiful on my skin than the fabulous Mme. No. 5. Believe me when I say that IT. IS. DEVASTATING. ON. MY. SKIN. Truly glorious. Roses and jasmine cream--with a little bit of vanilla or something sweet to beguile you. It's the one scent that literally everyone in my family asks me to wear (both children, husband, even the textbook "blunt" mother-in-law, I kid you not). They all go crazy for it. "You should wear that ALL the time. It's yummy." Which is funny, because it's not even my favorite perfume. I tend to be drawn to more androgynous scents--those with vetiver, citrus, wood, incense--"quirky" things that appeal to me on a more cerebral level, and that are generally not so appealing to the masses. However, I can appreciate the appeal of No. 5--and why it makes people want to hug me. Something in it just "clicks" and it seems to come from my pores--like my heart is reaching through my epidermis and pulling them into a warm embrace. I'm not even sure what possessed me to give it a whirl again other than I believe someone sent me some as an extra in a swap. I cannot walk away from it now, however. To all of you naysayers I urge you to give it time. If it chooses you (believe me, you will know if it does), there are very sweet rewards coming your way. :) ♥

I finally got to smell this the other day when my mom picked it up for herself. This is the epitome of class to me - i took one whiff and thought instantly of old hollywood and glamorous women. This can be a little overwhelming at first so be careful with initial application but it mellows after about 5 minutes into a lovely classic floral with a yummy powdery smell, i can smell the sandlewood i think in the base too. It smells really great on my mom but i don't think this is a smell for me right now, i feel a bit young for this personally, almost unworthy lol but i can see how it could smell great on someone else my age or on me in the future. Highly recommend this!

I do not know what everybody thinks is so great about it. I find eau premire a little bit better and it smells less like urine...sorry
i think most people tend to buy it because it is Chanel and maybe by wearing it the glamour of Chanel Coco will radiate on them as well. :D

on 4/2/2010 9:29:00 PM

This is such a classic fragrance. To me, it smells classy. Every so often I find a new fragrance that gets me all excited and I'll buy it, but after a while, I go back to Chanel No. 5 and it's like coming home again.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my HG scent. I absolutely love No.5. It smells beautiful on me. I have been wearing it for years.

on 2/1/2010 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I wanted to like this. I wanted to smell and feel the sophistication that so many others have experienced while wearing this. Sadly, I can't join the bandwagon. No.5 punched me in the face with old fashioned body powder and soap. The hype surrounding it is way beyond my comprehension, although I suspect the Chanel name may have something to do with it because there's dozens of other fragrances that are strikingly similar to this that don't garner such accolades.

on 12/23/2009 6:42:00 PM

I was really on the fence about this one, my step-daughter bought this for me, so I probably wouldn't have bought it myself. But I love it. I can't stand it at first spray, really it's almost to much to bear, but once I get past the 20 min. or so, I'm sooooo in love. The dry down is to die for. So I suffer for a short time only to be totally in love. It's crazy but it truly stinks on me intially but it soooo worth the end result. Who says that there is no virtue in waiting?

Dear G*d. Please don't wear this stuff.
It is an assault on the senses.
All of them. When people wear this stuff I can smell it, taste it and my eyes water. I often wonder if it is stinging my eyes, or if I am crying because so many people choose to wear this stuff!
It is VERY chemically smelling to me, almost like really badly made soap/detergent. It has a powdery overtone to it and reminds me of a funeral home!
For some reason, people cannot wear this scent lightly. I was tempted to blame the wearer, but for the amount of encounters I have had with over-perfumed people who like this scent, I am leaning more toward the product itself being SO potent, that even a tiny bit is far too much.
It is VERY over powering. An instant headache.
A woman at my work wears this stuff (after being asked by HR to NOT wear it, as a few people have complained) and I can literally taste it in the air when she walks by, or when I get stuck in the elevator with her.
I AM a fan of perfume in general, so it is not a broad distaste for all things scented. This one in particular just happens to be the worst of the worst IMO.

Popular Fragrances