RCMA No Color Powder

RCMA No Color Powder
No Color Powder

3.9

Talc, silica

This is another one of those products that is hyped for being "great value for money" so you buy it and then realise it's actually extremely mediocre so you throw it in your graveyard of a middle bathroom drawer that holds your patchy e.l.f. lip products and greasy Maybelline primers and God knows what else that you bought because they had 4+ star reviews but it turns out that was only because people were giving them two extra stars for being cheap. And then you sit there and sulk and post salty MakeupAlley reviews because you're pissed off that you've wasted so much money over the years on bad quality "dupes" from the misleading reviews when you could have saved that money for higher quality that works a lot better.

RCMA powder looks and smells exactly like flour. Had it not come sealed, I would have been genuinely curious if I had been given some weird cut version by an eBay seller trying to work his way up to dealing dodgy coke. It leaves a white cast and does not truly sink into my face no matter how I apply - I have so far tried a damp Beauty Blender, a dry Beauty Blender, a damp RT sponge, e.l.f. kabuki and a Real Techniques powder brush. It still looks obvious no matter the application, how little I use, how long I wait between primer/foundation layers drying, if I use it just to set instead of finishing (as it's not very finely milled) etc.

It feels obvious. It does not control oil, it seems to... hold it. Basically imagine putting a thin paper towel over your face. At first it's dry and all over and clearly white. That's RCMA. Then over a few hours your face oil starts seeping through, and the paper towel absorbs it and sticks to your face more. You are conscious of the weight of it on your face, you can look in the mirror and see it in place holding the oil. It does not hide the oil, it holds it and makes it look slightly blurred but it is still very clearly a layer of something that absorbed a lot of oil. A few more hours pass and the oil starts breaking apart the paper towel but it's still held in place and the texture is obvious. This is the best analogy I can think of for how RCMA looks and feels on me.

^ It should be noted that I don't even have oily skin. I have dry/mild combination. That's how much this powder sucks. I have used plenty of other mattifying products without looking cakey or getting excessively oily. I use RCMA in addition to a mattifying primer (Mecca To Save Face sunscreen) and a matte foundation (Elizabeth Arden Custom Colour Foundation). To be fair RCMA doesn't specifically state that it controls oil, but it does claim to be good for "all powdering purposes" and to set make up without changing the colour of your foundation or looking ashy and it just does not live up to any of those claims at all. Has RCMA seriously never seen someone darker than an NC15?

Now on to the good parts - it IS fantastic value for money (if you are an extremely budgeted person with pale, normal-type skin), it does take away a shiny face if you apply it halfway through the day (but be careful because it sits on top of the oil absorbed previous layer), and it did not break me out at all (and I am allergic to almost everything up to and including my own sweat). If you want to use this powder you will need a sifter container because the RCMA is basically packaged as a spice shaker.

If you can afford it, I recommend you go for Innisfree No Sebum Loose Powder instead. It is superior to this in every way except price and size. I would repurchase it but I hate the tiny container. Innisfree absorbs oil and then disappears, taking the absorbed layer with it. Which is much more preferable to RCMA deciding to take a dump on your face because you personally offended it.

Update: I bought Mac Fix + which took care of the powder issue and bad finish, but it did nothing for oil control or longevity - not that I was expecting it to. For those unaware, setting sprays (contain glycerine and/or butylene glycol in the top ~5 ingredients) mesh your powder/foundation/primer etc layers into one but don't extend the longevity. Fixing sprays (almost always misleadingly labeled as setting sprays and contain alcohol in the top ~5 ingredients) act as a protective layer and "seal" your make up to make it last longer - but it only protects the top layer. Using a setting spray (Max Fix+) first and then a fixing spray (Urban Decay Deslick) will last far longer than using just one since you're no longer protecting just the top layer, you're protecting the only layer because the setting spray meshed it.

Update 2: I switched to using Rimmel Stay Matte which I found to be nearly as good as Innisfree, but significantly cheaper. I gave RCMA away to a girl that I don't particularly like so that works out.

Update 3: The girl I gave it away to got dumped by her longterm boyfriend a week later so I no longer have hard feelings towards RCMA.

on 12/7/2016 7:48:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Personally I don't get the hype with this product but I do need an oil controlling powder, which this most certainly doesn't do. It doesn't set nor mattify my makeup so a definite was of time. So pleased I got a sample first.

I brought this powder after hearing loads of youtubers and bloggers raving about this new inexpensive powder which kept you matte all day long. I have combination skin and always get an oily t zone throughout the day. When I first got this product I couldn't believe how much powder you get for the price. When I first used this I used it to set my under eyes and rest of the face with a fluffy brush....big mistake. I found that under my eyes this would make my concealer crease and separate and would look horrendous. I was so dissapointed. I then tried it with a sponge and it's amazing. I apply with a damp sponge in my oily areas and under my eyes and leave it to set for a few minutes and gently pat/wipe away the excess powder and it keeps my oily areas matte all day without looking dry, and it stop my under eye area from creasing all day which I used to have a real problem with. My only complaint about this product is the packaging. It's absolutely rubbish. It looks like a salt shaker and is so so messy but for the price you get a great product and so much of it. Would definitely re purchase again

on 11/30/2016 7:31:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I randomly bought this powder on Beautylish and I'm so glad I did. This powder is now a staple product in my makeup collection. It's a great quality powder with highly functional packaging. It sets my under eyes very well without enhancing dryness, and it's one of the very rare powders that effectively prevents my concealer from creasing. It's very inexpensive, $12 for 3 oz. It's actually way less expensive per oz than powders at the drug store. Despite owning it for 6.5 months now and using it pretty much every time I do my makeup, it's only 1/3 gone. My only complaint is that it's not really "colorless" as it claims to be. On my medium skin tone it actually is quite brightening, despite me not using much at a time. I don't usually mind, I've just accepted that I can only use it under my eyes. However, I can't use it even under my eyes if I have a tan because it leaves a noticeable white cast on my face. Something to keep in mind.

on 11/29/2016 1:45:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Hands down the best setting powder I've ever used, and it's only $12. It's no frills, utilitarian packaging but that's not a concern for me; I rather would have something which performs consistently well.
About me: I'm 44, have combination to dry skin, some rosacea and melasma. I'm fair skinned ( about NC25 ) and this powder works beautifully; I press it into the skin with a powder puff ( Laura Mercier) over my primer and foundation. Too much will leave me looking dry, and I use Fix+ or similar to leave a dewy finish.
I've illustrated the pros but there ARE cons to this, and they might be:
1.) likely won't absorb excess oil; it is meant to "set" the face.
2.) while it is a "no color" powder it may not translate as well on beautiful darker skin tones; could appear ashy.
3.) comes in a sifter bottle and can get everywhere if you're not careful.
4.) both a pro and con- often sold out online due to its popularity; while it is a pro MUA product many YTers have sung its praises and people will buy it based upon those recs in droves.
I can't attest to its efficacy with "baking" ( setting under eye concealer or contour with powder in order to extend wear, or for performers under hot lights.) I don't perform on stage ( anymore) and I don't bother to contour; Mary Greenwell is a renowned MUA and suggests women over a certain age don't need it, but maybe bronzer instead to warm the face. I'm not suggesting people "shouldn't" do it- no rules in makeup- but for me I choose not to.
Overall this is a very inexpensive finely milled powder that won't add color/ texture to the face when setting makeup. I have purchased via Beautylish and Camera Ready Cosmetics also sells it; I have no affiliation with either but both sites offer great products and CS. I also think it is sold at brick and mortar stores like Naime's ( sp?)

on 11/27/2016 3:42:00 PM

Soft
Silky
Smooth
Buttery
Silky silky silky! Not even my Laura mercier powder is this smooth and silky!
Doesn't make me look dry or ashy.

on 10/30/2016 3:33:00 PM

I got this powder after hearing so many rave reviews on YouTube and I was disappointed. The powder made my skin look very dry when first applied, and then after a few hours started breaking down in my t-zone causing me to look cakey and oily. It settles into the lines under my eyes almost immediately, making them look much older and drier than they are.
Overall, this powder didn't seem to melt seamlessly into my skin as other powders have done.
The packaging, while small, is inconvienent and not easy to work with.
While this isn't the worst powder I have ever used, it didn't work well enough for me to repurchase, despite the low price. Nothing about this powder wowed me.

on 10/17/2016 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I purchased this product mainly because I thought "professional" was just better than "commercial" when it comes to brands. I was wrong. If you're considering buying it, you have to take in count this is a setting powder, which means it needs something beneath to set.
Now I've been using it for a month or so, I realise professional products are meant to perform in extreme lighting conditions, not on a daily basis. The more products you wear (and the thicker the layering is) the best it'll perform. It doesn't control oil production and unless your skin is very fair, you cannot wear it by itself unless you want to look "ghostly".
So this is an excellent product, but not for a bare skin style.

on 10/1/2016 4:36:00 AM

This product is really great. If i wear this powder, my makeup doesn't move at all. I have oily skin so it helps a lot when I have this on. I don't feel the need to retouch my makeup which I do often when I use my rimmel stay matte powder. The only bad thing that I have to say about this powder is that don't think it's a "no color" powder even though it claims it is. I was feeling my makeup one night and I asked my sister to take a photo of me with flash on. I swear, I was frightened when I saw the pictures with the flash on. My face looked really white and you could see the powder caking on my face. It was bad. I wouldn't repurchase this product because I think there are better "no color" powder out there. Though it's cheap, it's not worth it.

on 9/20/2016 4:40:00 AM

Ride or die powder! Makes my skin look so smooth without making it look dry at all! Great for my pale skin