Chanel Rouge Noir

Chanel Rouge Noir
CHANEL Rouge NoirRouge Noir

4.4

on 12/6/2009 4:02:00 AM

This is the classic vampy nail polish. I don't know why, or how, but Chanel nails colors always get the attention and compliments of other (even strangers) when they see it on my nails.It's so strange, becuase my other vampy favorites and even my Essie dupe does not get the attention from strangers at all.
................
It is a slightly jellyish blackened red with brown tones. Sometimes, you can even describe it as a little wine too! It is, again, the classiest vampy color that works on women of all ages. The formula is thicker than most nail polishes, but it somehow makes the application easier. Seriously, it is so easy to get that close but defined line you need with a dark nail color without the color getting on your fingers with this polish.
..................
Coats of polish:
With one coat, you get a red vampy, jelly look. But I don't recommend this unless you have godly application techniques because at one coat it can be uneven and even streaky.
With a second coat, the color becomes more opaque and even. This is what I usually go with, because it leaves a tiny bit of jellyness with that dark dried blood look. Chanel lacquers dries very fast too, so there is less waiting time between layers, making application faster.
A 3rd coat will give you complete opaque coverage, the color will be verging on almost-black, but still gorgeous. I really don't think a 3rd coat is necessary, 2 coats is gorgeous already.
......................
Packaging:
The usual beautiful Chanel packaging. It's great and classy, the square top comes off, and then you get the lid with the brush underneath. Pretty spill proof- as long as you don't thin it too much- it is unlikely to spill unless you flip it upside down (or it rolls down your leg, like for me once). The square top sucks though, does not stand traveling well, because it splits and the thing that holds it with the brush-lid detaches from the square top, making it a pain.
......................
Lasting Power:
The lasting power of all Chanel polishes suck. period. They chip like mad on me. However, I think because of this sucky lasting power, I never get stains from them, even when I'm too lazy to use a base coat (not recommended).
.......................
Conclusion:
The color is gorgeous and is my go-to classic vampy nail. Because of it's super awesome color, many companies have come out with dupes to this color. Essie Material Girl being one of them. However, strangely, no one cares for material girl even though it is almost exactly the same with several coats on, while everyone loves Rouge Noir. I swear Chanel puts voodoo in their polish. Application is easy and great, while lasting power sucks. Overall, this would be one of those awesome polishes you can slap on two quick coats of before a banquet and people will compliment you all throughout the night. It's great for those "I'm in a hurry but I still need to impress" times. That way, you don't quite need the lasting power.
........................
Repurchase?
Not the most special color as there are many dupes. But I will buy again since I'm half done with the bottle in less than a year (that's how much I use it), and because of the voodoo in it. Then again, I am also a brand-hoor and don't mind spending $$ on beautiful things.
I'm an NC25 Asian.

on 11/20/2009 6:08:00 AM

This is the industry standard when it comes to rouge-noir nail polish. I have been using it since the beginning of 1990s. Rouge Noir is the perfect blend of red and black without any unflattering brownness therefore it accentuates the blue undertones in the skin, making it appear whiter, not yellowish or reddish. There must be a reason why Chanel charges soo much more than drugstore brands. You just don't pay for the brand name and classic packaging. The consistency is beautifully creamy and the precise small and short brush makes it easier to apply the colour without smudging it outside the nail. I regularly trim my cuticles and of all nail polishes, Chanel is the only one I found that can be applied closest to the cuticle without ruining the manicure. I also found that it lasts longer than many other nail polishes, OPI, Essie or Nails Inc. I layer it with OPI Nail Envy and top it with Sally Hansen's Insta-Dry, refreshing with a fresh coat of Insta-Dry everyday and it looks perfect.

on 11/11/2009 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

What can I add about this polish that hasn't already been said? As you know, it's a gorgeous blackened creme red that really is the epitome of vamp. After OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark, this is my favourite polish. The wear is fantastic (as it should be with the hefty price tag). I use three coats for optimum colour saturation and while I do experience tipwear, I've rarely had chips or cracks. I will say I think Chanel brushes can use a serious revamping. After using OPI's Prowide Brushes for so long, the Chanel brushes seem kind of old-fashioned.

on 11/2/2009 10:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Chanel Rouge Noir is the definitive "vampy" polish by reputation, so naturally, I had to acquire this for my stash, and I can honestly say .. BEST POLISH EVER! This is probably one of my "Top 10" shades of all time.

Rouge Noir is totally sexy, sophisticated and rich. It's a dark blackened red, that doesn't go "black" after a couple of coats. I have Vamp as well, but I prefer this over Vamp because it's slightly deeper, and sans "shimmer", which makes it beyond classy. It's rich but not gothic, and is just perfection for my vampy loving self. This is definite HG for me! continued >>

on 10/23/2009 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Probably my favorite nail polish shade of all time. It makes my claws look so chic without being over the top. I think the deep vampy shade is universally flattering on short nails. The color is completely matte (love!). I lost my first bottle and just managed to repurchase this on ebay... I'm so glad I did! I just wish it was more available here in the States so I can share the love with my girl friends for Christmas. This is a staple in my humble collection and probably the most used, as well.

The first coat usually comes out streaky and uneven. The brush is on the thin side. Mistakes are forgivable when applying the first coat, as the 2nd coat will smooth everything out and make the color much more opaque. I usually apply around 2-3 coats of this, and use a top coat (SV). I took a lippie off however, for the high price and the fact that sometimes I get tiny bubbles when applying. The tricky application is worth going through for this gorgeous, classic shade!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is the most gorgeous black cherry nail polish I have ever come across. The color looks neither black nor red when on the nails, it is a true vampy burgundy without any brown undertones. The shade looks wonderful next to my pale skin. I find that this polish actually lasts a bit longer on my nails without chipping than other Chanel polishes I own. I use two coats and a topcoat and get at least a week's wear without chipping. I use my hands a lot, so it would probably last longer for some. Rouge Noir is a truly chic nail polish that would be an excellent addition to any nail polish lover's collection.

on 9/27/2009 11:01:00 PM

I used to buy this for all my friends for their 40th birthdays. I still like to give a bottle as a little gift. The colour is no longer "trendy" - I consider it a tried and true classic. As mentioned by others, it is a rich and sexy colour (I buy mine in Canada - made in France). It looks great on pretty much all skin tones - particularly on the toes. I really love it on tanned or darker skin. Personally, I don't care for dark fingertips, so I only rarely use it on my hands but it is on my toes 80% of the time. I find that one coat looks horribly streaky and uneven, but a 2nd coat leads to perfection. It lasts very well on the toes (I use base and top coats) and I usually have to repaint because my toenails have grown so much, not because of chipping. On fingers, it is less well-behaved. This is a staple for me.

on 10/19/2009 7:00:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE this colour. Its my favourite dark polish. Its so flattering on my skintone, regardless of if I'm paler or tanned. its also worked well on all my friends who have borrowed it.

I like the fact that the large square external lid is removable, and then the lid that is attached to the brush is smaller. I still perfer my OPI polishes for the brush shape but this is not bad.

Using a good top & base coat improves the length of time I can wear this on my nails. And a base coat is necessary to avoid staining the nails.

My only problem with this polish is that it goes gluggy really quickly. I've repurchased maybe four times now because it gets unusable about 1/4 of the way into my use of a bottle. But the colour is such a standout the that I'm happy to repurchase and I can't take any ratings off. LOVE it.

on 5/18/2009 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

It was my first Chanel polish. The colour is a "IT" colour: red with a hint of black. A classic of the brand. I wear this colour only on my toes and lasts during two weeks. Easily to apply, easily to wear...perfect and so chic!!!

This is one of the better "noir" colors we've been seeing for the last few years since the black polish craze started. This is a blackend red, but gets the full lippie treatment because it doesen't have that brownish cast to it that so many black reds/wines have. I found it to go on very smooth and shiny with one coat, although I did load the brush up. It seemed to dry ok, but stayed very wet looking. I don't use any base or top coats. I find that Chanel polishes in general are of pretty good quality but pricey...I can get toes to last weeks, or until I'm tired of the colors...but I find that the creams last longer than frosts or anything with shimmer in it. It's very close in quality to the Lippmann polishes (the dark opaque ones) which I love. The color of this reminds me of the shadows you would find on rich, dark, blood red velvet. Probably won't repurchase...I will be off looking at the next trendy color,

Popular Polishes