Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.9

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I really, REALLY wanted to love this product. I have heard so many great things about it and I was excited about the name of the foundation, Luminious Silk, because of my dry skin. This foundation dries out my skin so much. I have to put on a thick moisturizer, a hydrating primer and 3 drops of beauty oil in it to make it work for my skin. If I do all of those steps, it does come out beautiful. But it's a LOT of effort to make it work for me, especially for $64. I will continue to use it, but sadly will not repurchase.

on 1/24/2018 5:20:00 PM

I had been bought this foundation as it been recommended and read good reviews. I was so excited to try it. Initially I thought the color match was ok maybe a little to light I went for 4 light sand my mum thought it looked great although she hasn’t got great eyesight. When I looked in the mirror it stuck to every pore I seen pores I that I never even noticed before. It clung to dry patches and was patchy. Really disappointed my quest for my perfect foundation goes on.

on 1/22/2018 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

How do I love thee, let me count the ways:
- The best thing I find about Luminous Silk is the silky (duh), slippery texture that glides over the skin effortlessly. I have to blend most other foundations very carefully over small areas of my face to avoid cakey spots. With this one, I got completely lazy - I can slap a pump's worth into the middle of my face, slather it around, and it gives me a completely even, perfectly blended coverage without drying up and setting too fast and clinging to skin patches. For a light all-over application, I get the best results when I use my fingers and simply spread it around just like a moisturizer. (Some reviews mentioned that they hated LS when using it with the Beauty Blender, and I hated the BB when using it with this foundation, so it looks like they're not compatible, if that's your preferred application method. Not a problem for me, but LS is rather light and thin, so sponges and brushes soak it up quite easily.)

- It can be built up from about medium-light to medium-heavy coverage without looking heavy. On the days when the above is not enough, I like to take a bit more and apply it with a tapping motion wherever I need it, either with my fingers or a brush. This covers any redness, capillaries, faded scars and light spots. It won't cover anything too dark/red, but I'd rather use a concealer than a heavy foundation for that.

- The finish, despite the name, is rather natural with slight dewiness. For me (normal skin that's sometimes prone to dryness and can get oily towards the end of the day), it's perfect - anything more matte looks dry and patchy on me, and anything richer sits on top of the skin, and I just end up using too much powder to get rid of the tacky feel. This may not be the best foundation for those who have very dry skin, though - I tried using it after a (bad) experiment with a salicylic acid toner, and it did emphasize the skin flakes.

- It stays on quite well for 8-12 hours. It does get shiny in the middle of the day and fade a bit towards the evening, of course, but it never breaks down in patches (Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua!) or otherwise looks offensive.
All in all, like any foundation, it won't suit every single skin type, but it's a fantastic in-between option - not too heavy, not too light, not too matte and not too dewy. I've been using this for about 10 years now, and every time I "cheated" on it with a different foundation, I regretted it.

on 1/14/2018 5:55:00 AM

So I realllly wanted to love this foundation after reading reviews and hearing the kardashians rated it. For me this is probably THE worst foundation I have ever used. No exaggeration. I can only think this works if you have perfect skin.

The girl I purchased it from was lovely and told me for more coverage apply with beauty blender. However when I did this I found the blender ate it all up as the product is soooo watery.
I tried with a brush which was slightly better but didn’t feel it gave me a “silky” look. After a day of wearing it I found it went so patchy and I mean like having to rub it in in places making my already combo skin look worse.

The packaging is great as it’s small so fits in bags easier but for me that was the only plus with this product. Massively over rated and over priced deffo not re purchasing. Sorry to bring the rating down but feel maybe this isn’t great for combo skin!!

on 1/12/2018 8:26:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Always wears off very quickly, better to not touch the face at all wearing this. My normal skin gets super oily after an hour with this foundation. I have to fix my makeup more than 3 times as skin gets oily and shiny. Also in my opinion it has narrow shade range.
The only thing that keeps me using this, that this foundation doesn't clog my pores, feels very light on my face and has a quite good consist.
Won't buy it again. For such price I was expecting higher quality.

on 1/8/2018 10:01:00 AM

One of my all-time favorites. Beautiful sheer but buildable coverage, dewy skin-like finish. I always get compliments when I wear it.

on 1/2/2018 6:06:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I will always repurchase this product (unless they change the formula of course). It feels light but offers good coverage and makes the skin feel like silk. I love the natural finish and the fact that it stays on all day. I love that it does not have SPF (seriously, all these products with SPF in them? Do NOT put any chemicals on your face that you don't have to. If you're going to be out in the sun all day, fine, apply sunscreen. If you're going to be sitting inside all day, you do not need to wear a moisturiser or foundation with SPF. I can't stress enough how bad this is for your skin) Anyhoo! Because it is SPF free, I don't react which is nice (and rare).
The price is steep, the packaging looks nice but I feel that I don't get every last bit of product out (which I'd like to do after spending $100 on it).
It may sit differently on different skin types though.

on 12/31/2017 9:22:00 AM

Awful, I really wanted to love this and I even went so far as to checking my technique with the sales lady again and youtube videos.

Thin watery foundation with a lovely glow to it, beautifully packaged. Does not work with a beauty blender as too watery and product just doesn’t hit the skin so you must use a brush.

The result: patchy uneven skin, always wears off on the nose first. Wore it to work and thought I did a good job, everyone kept saying how tired I looked. Coverage is so poor and the more you use the more your pores become emphasised.

I wanted to love this and and I don’t disagree with any of the positive reviews here as skin type differs we all suit different things, but I’m very surprised they aren’t more negative reviews.

It’s over hyped and you need good skin for this foundation. If you go to the counter ask them to do a full face or even get your own sample, do not purchase based on a patch test at the counter.

I don’t even believe Kim k even wears this as her skin is flawless.

on 12/10/2017 2:39:00 PM

I like it the mooost.

on 12/6/2017 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

So I finally bit the bullet and picked this up during the Sephora VIB sale (reg. $70 CAD). I have dry skin, I like more natural looking foundations (i.e. not full coverage), and based off of all the youtube love, I thought this would be ideal for my skin. Result: meh.

I debated returning it, but I debated too long and missed the window lol. I purchased shade 4.0 which is a tad light for my NC25 skin tone, but since it has light coverage, it's easy to work with it in spite of that. Also the shade numbers are really odd. 3.5 is actually darker than 4.0? So keep that in mind if you're purchasing online.

There is a scent to this, but I didn't notice any strong fragrance so I'm not bothered at all by it. The coverage is quite light but buildable, so it's customize-able I suppose in that sense. I haven't tried it in flash photography or video (which is where this is supposed to be amazing), but i'm not a youtuber and I don't walk around with papparazzi following me so I'm not sure if investing in this is worth the odd time that I end up taking photos (assuming it looks amazing as everyone else says). It's not incredibly long wearing but it's not a big deal for me because i always use a setting spray.

It doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look $70 foundation good.

I would not repurchase and for the price, I would not recommend.