Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder

Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder
Neutral Set translucent powderNeutral Set translucent powderMy lovely Ben Nye PowdersNeutral Set translucent powder

4.5

Ingredients for Colorless: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. /////////// Talc, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid.

This is my favorite setting powder by far. I have been dancing for nearly twenty years, and was introduced to this during prep for a performance. Not only did it keep my face shine (and sweat) free, but it also prevented my foundation from melting off under the stage lights. When I found out how cheap it is, it became a major part of my makeup collection. I've tried several other colorless setting powders since then, but nothing comes close to this. I just lightly dust it over my foundation (liquid, cream, even powders) and I'm good to go.

6/26/14 Edited to add: I recently pressed this into a powder compact, and that has made travel much easier. I was a bit worried that pressing this would alter the application or finish, but it still works just as well, and the compact makes it much easier to travel with.

on 4/2/2013 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I can honestly say that this is not a miracle product, I had to reapply this after a couple of hours . I have combination skin, my skin is not very oily. I bought it, used a couple of times and stopped using it after reading that it has parabens. I will not re-buy or use this powder. Parabens are not good for our health..

on 4/1/2013 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have used MAC Prep & Prime translucent powder for years and absolutely loved it, but it got to the stage where I was repurchasing it every other month and it had become quite an expensive habit, so I did some MUA research and thought I would give this a go. I was surprised when I received it in the post because the bottle contains 49g, which is six times the amount you get with MAC Prep & Prime, but the container itself is really small. It just shows how deceptive the packaging is with the MAC one.

I am not a fan of the bottle-style packaging because I like to dispense loose powder into the lid of the pot and dip my brush into that, which isn't really possible because the lid is so small. I have been transferring this into an old Prep & Prime container to get around that (any loose powder container with a sifter would do). I have already filled the MAC container twice but it has hardly made a dent in the Ben Nye bottle, so you do get an awful lot of product for the money (this cost 5.50 plus postage, which came to about 8 in total. The MAC powder is 18.50 for less than a sixth of the amount!).

In terms of the product itself, the finish it gives is lovely and there is no white cast on my skin, even when I am wearing false tan (which takes me up to about an NC20-25). It does set make-up very nicely without making the skin look overly powdery, and it hasn't broken me out at all. I think the main difference between this and the MAC P&P is that the MAC one is slightly more finely milled and does control my oil for slightly longer. With the Ben Nye I have to touch up after about four hours, so it is still good but not quite as good. I also can't use this under my eyes, but I do have very sensitive eyes and I prefer to use other powders for that anyway. I would be more than willing to repurchase given the massive difference in cost. It is far better than most powders I have tried.

on 3/11/2013 6:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

If you have oily skin or you find that you're skin gets oily around midday, this is definitely the answer. I use it to set my foundation and I find that it stays all day and I don't even have to carry any powders around.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS. Best powder ever, its like the dupe for mac prep and prime translucent powder, its super cheap and i use this everyday, i love how it doesn't make me look ghostly or pale no matter how much u apply,keeps my face matte except my T zone, but still love it, it is SO SHEER and DOES NOT ADD ANY COVERAGE AT ALL which i love so much because i hate how powders add coverage to your face especially the colored ones like regular face powders, this is so inexpensive and i'm already on my second bottle of this! and i love how the packaging is a shake bottle so you can dispense out as much as you need and the thing about this powder that is great is you can apply a lot and it will never look cakey at all, its basically what it says, translucent powder, i'm already on my second bottle of this and i love it so much! got mine off makeupmania.com !

on 3/9/2013 6:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Great price, nice for my fair skin (banana might be better for darker, warmer skin tones).
Does contain talc.

Best powder ever. And I don't really like powder. It just seems to mess up the work already done, in my opinion. No oxidizing of any kind, no caking, no making the foundation you just so beautifully applied look more like "makeup." This powder is a go to for many makeup artists. It's very inexpensive, the translucent powder works on everyone, it sets the makeup beautifully, and photographs well. I hardly even use any other powder on myself or clients unless I need to for effect. Two thumbs up and I will continue to repurchase this time and time again, but it's not necessary very often because it lasts forever.

on 2/12/2013 1:24:00 AM

This stuff would have serious HG potential, if it weren't for the ingredients. I too was obsessed with the finish it gave to the skin and the lasting power (it makes my oily-combo skin matte all day) until another MUAer pointed out that its "basically like putting deodorant on your face".

The ingredients: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Sorbic Acid.

If this doesn't freak you out, then by all means, PLEASE try this powder. It works wonders (I use Neutral Set on my NW20 skin, but it blends in beautifully and matches nearly every skintone) and you won't be sorry. Unfortunately I reserve this only for special nights out when I want to look flawless, or on a day that I know I won't be able to touch up my makeup. I won't repurchase because the ingredients freak me out - I know the deodorant-aluminum/breast cancer link (in regards to underarms) hasn't been 100% proven, but why take the chance? Sad, because I love the look of this powder!

on 1/23/2013 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Magnificent face powder. I suffer from very oily skin around the T-Zone and this is the only powder I've found to keep it at bay all day long. I love the fact it's both theatrical grade (the special formula controls perspiration making it perfect for high energy performers such as clowns and dancers) and completely colourless. Works far better than MAC 'Studio Fix' Powder ever did and is a good 10 cheaper too! I have the 2oz (49gm) bottle and after 2 months of everyday usage I estimate that I have 98% of powder left, so it's superb value for money. It NEVER cakes on my skin either, I apply it with a damp beauty blender and really buff it into my skin. I imagine it would be perfect for hot, tropical holidays to combat scorching heat and humidity.

on 2/8/2013 7:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

I got Nutmeg. I'm Trinidad in NARS and have yellow undertones. I'd be NW56 if I had red undertones. Nutmeg is perfect for me. I have an oily tzone and the thing that amazes me is that it keeps the oil at bay! Like I had to keep looking in the mirror because my face was not oily! It was weird for me. LOL This stuff is amazing!