Ben Nye Neutral Set Colorless Face Powder

Ben Nye Neutral Set Colorless Face Powder
Neutral Set Colorless Face PowderNeutral Set Colorless Face PowderMy lovely Ben Nye PowdersNeutral Set Colorless Face PowderNeutral Set Colorless Face Powder

4.5

Ingredients for Colorless: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. /////////// Talc, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid.

on 7/18/2013 8:22:00 PM

Thank you MUA!! NC 25/30 here. I was all set to splurge on Nars light reflecting powder, but decided to look here for a cheaper alternative (setting powders and mascara are two things that I don't like to spend much money on). I'm not saying that this is a dupe of Nars' (and this isn't a comparison review, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two on my face, other than maybe, just maybe the Nars is a bit more brightening??). Anyhow, very impressed by this product. It does everything I want a setting powder to do, and a bit more. It's extremely finely milled, and can go up against any expensive face powder, is not cakey or powdery and looks like nothing on, except that my face looks more "finished" and my skin just a bit nicer. It may initially lighten my face by a tiny fraction, though all face powders seem to do that to me. I got the translucent one/which looks white but fear not, it really is translucent. I have slightly oily skin, and this lasts me at least 4-5 hours, though frankly looking a bit "dewy" by the end of the day doesn't bother me much (I just use blotting sheets if necessary). Not sure how this would work on very oily skin, but I think that if you have normal/dry or normal/oily skin, you'll be happy with this. I got this at a costume shop which has a smattering of stage makeup, though you can easily find it online. Still dirt cheap even including shipping cost (about $6-8 for 1.75 oz -- about 5 times the size of department store loose powders--usually about .33 oz or less). Everyone else has talked about the lousy packaging... I will just transfer it to one of my nice empty powder boxes. In short, highly recommended.

PS--a few people here mentioned that it has parabens...I haven't bothered to check but thought I should mention.

As a theatre kid, I swear by Ben Nye. I even use it as my everyday makeup, instead of just for when I'm on stage. That being said, this powder is a gift from The Lord himself, it's not to heavy, it mattes me out like nobodies business, and it pales down my foundation juuuuust the right amount so that it blends into my albino white girl skin. The packaging could use a bit of work, but all in all it's a staple in my kit at all times.

on 4/21/2013 4:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Considering that I got this product with my school kit, I probably will buy it for the sake of clients but when it come to using this on my own face, I find it irritating.

I ended up switching over to 'Estee Lauder' - Lucidity Translucent Loose Powder because it's the only product that I haven't reacted to yet despite the price.

The packaging is good, just be cautious not to spill out too much and always brush your face with a large clean brush to get rid of excess powder.

This is my favorite setting powder by far. I have been dancing for nearly twenty years, and was introduced to this during prep for a performance. Not only did it keep my face shine (and sweat) free, but it also prevented my foundation from melting off under the stage lights. When I found out how cheap it is, it became a major part of my makeup collection. I've tried several other colorless setting powders since then, but nothing comes close to this. I just lightly dust it over my foundation (liquid, cream, even powders) and I'm good to go.

6/26/14 Edited to add: I recently pressed this into a powder compact, and that has made travel much easier. I was a bit worried that pressing this would alter the application or finish, but it still works just as well, and the compact makes it much easier to travel with.

on 4/2/2013 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I can honestly say that this is not a miracle product, I had to reapply this after a couple of hours . I have combination skin, my skin is not very oily. I bought it, used a couple of times and stopped using it after reading that it has parabens. I will not re-buy or use this powder. Parabens are not good for our health..

on 4/1/2013 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have used MAC Prep & Prime translucent powder for years and absolutely loved it, but it got to the stage where I was repurchasing it every other month and it had become quite an expensive habit, so I did some MUA research and thought I would give this a go. I was surprised when I received it in the post because the bottle contains 49g, which is six times the amount you get with MAC Prep & Prime, but the container itself is really small. It just shows how deceptive the packaging is with the MAC one.

I am not a fan of the bottle-style packaging because I like to dispense loose powder into the lid of the pot and dip my brush into that, which isn't really possible because the lid is so small. I have been transferring this into an old Prep & Prime container to get around that (any loose powder container with a sifter would do). I have already filled the MAC container twice but it has hardly made a dent in the Ben Nye bottle, so you do get an awful lot of product for the money (this cost 5.50 plus postage, which came to about 8 in total. The MAC powder is 18.50 for less than a sixth of the amount!).

In terms of the product itself, the finish it gives is lovely and there is no white cast on my skin, even when I am wearing false tan (which takes me up to about an NC20-25). It does set make-up very nicely without making the skin look overly powdery, and it hasn't broken me out at all. I think the main difference between this and the MAC P&P is that the MAC one is slightly more finely milled and does control my oil for slightly longer. With the Ben Nye I have to touch up after about four hours, so it is still good but not quite as good. I also can't use this under my eyes, but I do have very sensitive eyes and I prefer to use other powders for that anyway. I would be more than willing to repurchase given the massive difference in cost. It is far better than most powders I have tried.

on 3/11/2013 6:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

If you have oily skin or you find that you're skin gets oily around midday, this is definitely the answer. I use it to set my foundation and I find that it stays all day and I don't even have to carry any powders around.

on 3/9/2013 6:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Great price, nice for my fair skin (banana might be better for darker, warmer skin tones).
Does contain talc.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS. Best powder ever, its like the dupe for mac prep and prime translucent powder, its super cheap and i use this everyday, i love how it doesn't make me look ghostly or pale no matter how much u apply,keeps my face matte except my T zone, but still love it, it is SO SHEER and DOES NOT ADD ANY COVERAGE AT ALL which i love so much because i hate how powders add coverage to your face especially the colored ones like regular face powders, this is so inexpensive and i'm already on my second bottle of this! and i love how the packaging is a shake bottle so you can dispense out as much as you need and the thing about this powder that is great is you can apply a lot and it will never look cakey at all, its basically what it says, translucent powder, i'm already on my second bottle of this and i love it so much! got mine off makeupmania.com !

on 2/12/2013 1:24:00 AM

This stuff would have serious HG potential, if it weren't for the ingredients. I too was obsessed with the finish it gave to the skin and the lasting power (it makes my oily-combo skin matte all day) until another MUAer pointed out that its "basically like putting deodorant on your face".

The ingredients: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Sorbic Acid.

If this doesn't freak you out, then by all means, PLEASE try this powder. It works wonders (I use Neutral Set on my NW20 skin, but it blends in beautifully and matches nearly every skintone) and you won't be sorry. Unfortunately I reserve this only for special nights out when I want to look flawless, or on a day that I know I won't be able to touch up my makeup. I won't repurchase because the ingredients freak me out - I know the deodorant-aluminum/breast cancer link (in regards to underarms) hasn't been 100% proven, but why take the chance? Sad, because I love the look of this powder!