Fenty Beauty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Fenty Beauty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation
Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear FoundationPro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear FoundationPro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear FoundationPro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.3

on 10/15/2017 4:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Was super excited for this to come out! Love the colour shades, unfortunately this is where it ends. I have been doing proper skin care, hydrating my skin, different primers and all that. Brush, beauty blender, small strokes in small sections... but nothing works. THIS FOUNDATION dries and makes my skin look patchy so bad! On top of that, it would never cover any sort of pigmentation problem that I had. If I tried to put anything on top of it like highlighters it would look even worse. I can't make it work at all! So I had to return, it may be that I have combination skin. IDK it just doesn't work on me... I thought I had oily skin buuut this foundation is probably made for an oil ball face! :(

on 10/12/2017 10:20:00 PM

Me: 43 years old, very few lines, combo oily skin that can get very oily in warmer weather. Large_ish pores on nose, no old acne marks, lots of red blotches, dark purple circles!

I'm Deauville in NARS, 20 in MUFE F and B, MAC N 4.

This is hands down the best foundation I've ever purchased! I cannot for the life of me see a line between skin and foundation...at all. Best shade I've ever used and I've been wearing base since 1990...16 years old.

I wear 140 and its perfect. It goes on like a dream. I used to use it with the It Cosmetics foundation brush and while I liked it, there were brush marks on the area between my brows and my nose. Fingers (for me) works best. The foundation is definitely on the watery side and with clean fingers it just melts beautifully into skin. Poreless, creamy, solid...no cake, no streaks, no redness, no circles....I'm in awe. I take my favourite huge powder brush (forget the name...it's orange and promoted by Pixiwoo) and fluff on the lovely Maybelline Fit Me loose powder in Light Medium and then do a light contour with Hoola Light and a top with a peachy pink blush. A few sprays of All Nighter and my makeup lasts literally all day.

You know it's good when it's 4 o clock and you keep checking your makeup out in your rearview mirror! No budge, no oily breakthrough, and no patchiness. I plan on repurchashing for a long time!

The bottle is also quite large and very chic and stylish. Excellent base for oily skin like mine. Most foundation breaks through by ten in the morning. Not this baby. Great deal for $34 and the amount of product you get also!

My friend wears 380 and it looks stunning on her, however she is dry and benefits from a moisturizer.

on 10/11/2017 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

One of the rare reviews where I'd actually go out and buy this product tomorrow if I ran out of it! I'm totally in love with this foundation for my long (10h) workdays.
This foundation is a matte, medium coverage foundation with some shimmer to it so that it looks like there is some glow on the high points of your face even when you don't have highlighter on. But don't let that fool you into thinking there's anything dewy about it. It's a very dry finish - you really don't need to powder to set. RiRi is all about matte skin and then adding shimmer back on top. This is not a no-makeup or natural finish foundation, but it does make your skin look flawless if you do it right.

A few comments:
- putting too much of this on will make your face look dry and crepey. the reviews I've seen of YouTubers who didn't love it all did this mistake
- work in zones and move fast AF with your brush or sponge. like one cheek at a time fam or your face is going to cake
- don't get fooled by the liquid consistency and try and use a floppy brush to apply. dense synthetic brushes and sponges work fine, but floppier brushes don't lay down the product properly, streak, and then it dries down fast and you're left with a complete patchy mess
- I tried it with HG mineral primer, but that's too dry. I went out and bought the RiRi matching primer and that works really well
- go to Sephora and get a colour match...you really can't tell from the internet swatches which one is going to match because it completely changes colour once it's dried

on 10/10/2017 6:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I tried this with the primer. At first I heard angels singing- three hours later Satan was sitting on my nose.
Honestly the foundation is nice* - but no better than many drugstore products. Since the primer did not work for me either, I tried it with my hourglass primer. Same luck.

This has a liquidy consistency- dries down fast and then has that paint on walls effect. I think this works best for oily skins or moderate oil- normal skin gals or dry skin best to skip and keep looking.
Foundation is primary to any look- sadly the hype from many of these Celebrities is a one size fits all.
Had to return- life is hard enough without having a stiff matte face

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I've been trying to find the perfect long-lasting, full coverage foundation to cover my rosacea. I've tried Estee Lauder Double Wear (which I regret buying); Lock It; and a bunch of others I've already reviewed :)

I. Love. This. I dot all over and use a stippling brush to blend. You have to be quick as it dries down quickly to a semi-matte, non-transferable coverage. I moisturise well and like to use Illamasqua Radiance Veil primer - I'm a combination skin with occasional dry patches.

I have 150 and could probably stand to go a shade lighter. It's got yellow undertones which is OK for me as I'm pretty neutral but others may not like it.

I do agree with other reviewers (and have knocked off a lippy) that you really need to have untextured skin for this to look nice. Under my eyes where I have lines, this looks really awful. Easily combat by using a different product there, but tbh I'd rather just use one product not a dozen. I do powder using UD Velvetizer which smooths the appearance of any texture so it's certainly not unusable - you just need to find what works for you. It lasts a full day at work and still looks lovely after a long day, especially if I use a setting spray (which I always do - currently Rimmel).

What I love about this foundation is that it feels natural and not too heavy on the skin, even though it covers all my redness. I found that ELDW for some reason wears really red on my skin, and I have to put on several layers on my cheeks. I hate it, it gets like a mask and it doesn't last anyway!

Overall, I'm really, really impressed with this foundation. If you're looking to try something new, then you could go more wrong than this foundation. It has an excellent shade range and while pricey, it's about the same as other high end products and actually cheaper than some others. Definitely get shade matched though if you can, as it does oxidise, although not (in my case anyway) to orange!

on 10/9/2017 3:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

*Love*!!!!

A few points:

1. Moisturise *really* well underneath the foundation and use a hydrating primer. Even if you're combo/oily. Especially if you're normal/dry!! And especially, during the colder months.
If you are really oily - you might get away with your normal routine. I'd stay away completely from mattifying primers.

2. This dries down very, very fast. So no dotting all over the face and then leisurely blending. I think the reason people are experiencing patchiness, is because they are not working in sections or not blending quickly enough. I dot some on my face, start blending out with my fingers and then use a damp beautyblender to blend out the rest.

3. Don't place the foundation under your eyes if you have lines. This dried out the skin under my eyes and emphasised the few lines that I have (that I normally barely see!!). So, by the time I added concealer, it just creased up really badly. The next day I left out my undereye area and just added concealer when I had finished blending the foundation everywhere else. Made a world of a difference!

4. Actually, don't use at all if you have lines all over your face.... This works best if your face is (relatively) smooth.

5. I've read that a lot of people have had issues with the undertones. I can only speak for the shade that I bought - it's 450 and fits me perfectly. But it appears that if you have neutral or red undertones (or if you are generally of a lighter complexion) you might have a bit of a challenge finding your right shade as some shades appear to run too red or too dull.

Overall, the finish is beautiful!! As I mentioned before, the foundation dries down really quickly, and therefore doesn't really transfer (or only transfers very little). If you blend properly and you have the right shade, this will look like your skin! Really nice, beautiful skin. The 'filter' claim is definitely true.
After 12 hours of wear, I have some oil coming through (I don't like to blot and I don't like to set with powder), however it's more dewiness than oiliness. It doesn't get greasy at all and stays in place the entire time - even when you sweat.
I also didn't experience any oxidisation which is a bonus.

Overall, I'd buy again. I really, really like this foundation and it's amongst my favourites (NARS Sheer Glow, Becca Ultimate Coverage, Smashbox 15 Hour, Guerlain Lingerie de Peau, Kevin Aucoin Etherealist).

I really wanted to love this foundation but it broke me out

on 10/8/2017 12:34:00 AM

I can see why this is such a controversial foundation! I have oily, acne prone skin and quite a bit of hyperpigmentation. It took a lot of experimentation for me to realize that there was no primer, setting spray, or powder I could use with this foundation to achieve a long lasting finish with the smooth texture promised in the product description. I am normally BIG on silicone-based primers and the UD All Nighter setting spray to make my foundation last. Fenty is literally the only foundation I need to apply in a thin layer over moisturizer, spot conceal, then layer again where needed. It is not at all in keeping with my usual routine (most recently the UD All Nighter foundation or Bare Minerals BarePRO foundation) but this gives me the most beautiful, flawless, oil-free, lasting coverage with this application method. In fairness I think it's closer to 4.5 lippies, but I'm rating it a 4 because of the oxidation and very tricky consistency that requires a lot of homework...

on 10/7/2017 9:06:00 PM

It took me a while to catch on to this foundation. Like many people here, I'm always on the lookout for the perfect shade and color. But by then, most of the shades were sold out. Even some of the testers were gone. I was able to test out some samples, and it was close; a bit too dark. So I go online and I happen to find next lightest shade that's neutral toned, and when I get it, it's too light. BUT! The oxidation helped warm up the tone so that it's quite close to my skin tone, and I was satisfied.

That's about all that was good about the foundation. This brand was very inclusive in its range. Now for the not so good parts...

This is a very fast setting, oil free foundation. I have to work in patches to get the coverage I needed, because after about a minute, it was dry. Application is best with a dense brush. It's a velvet matte finish, so any dry patches I had were magnified. I do skincare before makeup, and I find myself having to reach for my most moisturizing cream to act as a base, which helps a little. I found that it has a medium to full coverage, but I'll lean towards medium, because full coverage just accentuates what imperfections I have.

All these characteristics for this formula (oxidizing, drying, coverage, viscosity) almost matched with the Milani Conceal+perfect 2 in 1 foundation+concealer, even though they have different ingredients. Why would I spend $34 for a foundation that does the same thing as a $11 foundation? I'll admit, Fenty has more than outdone itself on the 40 shade range, but other than that, it's not special. I'll finish the bottle and part ways.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have conflicting feelings about this foundation. My shade is 230 (Asian with neutral undertones). I think the finish is beautiful and while most would complain about the oxidation, I actually kind of liked that it makes me look like I have a natural bronze but not to the point where my face and neck do not match. Most other foundations look too flawless and a hair too light compared to my neck. Now I'm sure this isn't most people's cup of tea just know it does oxidize. I liked that this blended perfectly. I have normal skin (sometimes dry) but textured which is my issue when it comes to this foundation. You definitely need to prep and by prep, I don't just mean a pore filling/hydrating primer. You have to cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize and prime otherwise this foundation will emphasize all the nooks and crannies on your face.

The best finish I find is using a brush that you can "wipe" or blend the foundation in downward strokes similar to the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush or ELF Ultimate Blending Brush (or the brush that she sells) but make sure it's clean or you will have a streaky application. A sponge is also ideal if you wanted a lighter, more natural coverage but you will have to use a few more pumps with this method. I definitely do not recommend a flat top kabuki brush (which is usually my favorite method of applying any foundation) because this will emphasize the texture and sort of sit on top of it when you press it into the skin. I wore this to a concert but stupidly mixed it with other foundations which I HIGHLY suggest you avoid because it separated like CRAZYYYY. Overall it's a good everyday foundation. It will last you an 8 hour work day but not into the night. I probably won't return it but I wouldn't repurchase it either.