Deciem The Ordinary Coverage Foundation

Deciem The Ordinary Coverage Foundation
The Ordinary Coverage FoundationThe Ordinary Coverage FoundationThe Ordinary Coverage Foundation

2.9

Aqua (Water), Coconut Alkanes, Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Caprylyl Methicone, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Coco Caprylate/Caprate, Cetyl Diglyceryl Tris(Trimethylsiloxy)silylethyl Dimethicone, Sucrose Laurate, Dipropylene Glycol, Polysilicone-11, Tocopherol, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Hectorite, Dimethicone/ Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Sodium Chloride, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin. May Contain [ /-]: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Tin Oxide, Aluminum Hydroxide, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Mica, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

on 9/22/2017 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is less liquidy than the serum foundation. It has twice as much coverage, that being medium to almost full. I consider full coverage something that could cover a tattoo. It also oxides darker and to a different undertone than it should be like the serum foundation (see pictures). The finish is dewy, yet it clings to texture and dry patches, making your skin look kind of bad. You will need to set it because it doesn't really set/dry down. Even though I set it with powder, after 2 hours, it starts to slide around my face and transfer so easily. I don't consider my skin oily, but oil comes out though the day like anyone. So that's a huge downside.

I will rebuy this because it's cheap and appropriate for running errands. I have acne 'scars' and this is better then nothing. I don't like to use expensive foundation when i'm getting some eggs :)

It's worth trying out. I recommend this over the serum foundation because it covers better, but many people seem to like the serum foundation. Maybe pick up both.

Before and after pictures on blemished skin shown in my video and/or on my blog.

I love The Ordinary foundations! I think for day-to-day, running around when you don't want to wear your Armani or Koh Gen Do $70 foundations, this fits the bill perfectly. Would I wear it on my wedding day? No. But for everyday it's amazing.

I apply mine right after moisturizer and then a light diffusing primer. Currently loving the Becca Backlight. This is a fairly flat finish foundation, so the glow primer helps give it more of a satin finish, which I prefer in my 30's. The combination of the light diffusing and applying it right after moisturizer helps it become more of a medium coverage vs. a full coverage look.

I set with powder and a setting spray and get all day wear. I have dry, sensitive skin and this doesn't cling or get patchy. The Fair shades didn't oxidize on me much, but the Light shades did, as I got into the level 2 shades. I have been using a combination of 1.1N and 1.2N. I think if you are trying to decide between shades, go with the lighter one, because these do oxidize somewhat and dry a bit darker than when first applied.

It should be noted that I typically hate drugstore foundations. Not because I'm a beauty snob (quite the opposite, I think there is a thrill in finding affordable products that deliver). The finish is always too dewy or too matte. As a makeup artist, I need the base to be flawless, or else the rest of the look will be a hot mess - I typically use Armani, Koh Gen Do, and RCMA. Again, not trying to be a snob, just illustrating that I'm really picky about my foundations. Also, there must be an ingredient in most drugstore foundations that makes my skin burn and breaks me out the next day so badly. I usually avoid drugstore foundations altogether.

So I approached The Ordinary foundations with some skepticism that they'd actually work. The serum foundation was ok for me, but the Full Coverage has really become a go-to for me. No burning, no breakouts, and a nice, natural skin-like finish. It also doesn't feel heavy at all, which I love. I think The Ordinary really did a nice job with this foundation.

I did a swatch video of all the shades I purchased, because I did have some trouble deciding from their site:

on 9/19/2017 10:30:00 AM

I started wearing foundation at the age of 27. I could get away with concealer and powder for the longest, but my skin is aging and I've always had a quite a bit of redness. I haven't tried a lot of foundations. I took a chance on The Ordinary Coverage foundation and am really pleased with it. I've repurchased it once. I had the lightest color (1.0N) which was too light for me but still worked out. I repurchased and picked 1.2N and it's perfect.

On hot days, it does separate a bit when I sweat. I can't actually see the separation on my face. I just notice it when I touch the oily parts of my face. One lippie off for that. I am so pleased with the flawless base that it gives me that I can't really find any other issues to gripe about with this product. It also doesn't look like a mask, which is important to me.

on 9/16/2017 11:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Damn. I wanted to love it so much because of the perfect color match and the price... unfortunately, the formula was just too thin and instantly wiped off no matter how long you let it set with powder. It settled throughout the day, clung to dry patches and aged your skin. Super disappointing.

EDIT 5/10/17 :
Personally, I realized that the best way to make this foundation work was to mix it with another high coverage foundation. I mixed it with the taste's sea foundation and it lasted much longer without caking and running off and mild oiliness throughout the day. So if you do have other foundations at your disposable, I suggest trying to experiment with it If you really want it to last.

on 9/11/2017 2:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is amazing for the price, I can't believe it. I wouldn't say it's full coverage, but it does build nicely.

I am about nc10-15 and tried 1.0N and did not like it (it was too neutral/pink for me and oxidized. I decided to give this foundation another try, as I was in a Deciem store and could swatch and try them in person. I got 1.1N (perfect for NC15) and 1.2Y which works for me with a light tan, even more yellow toned and perfect.

The packaging is nice and lightweight, nothing fancy but effective, although the pump area can get messy and grubby since it's a black matte texture.

I'd say try it, it's so cheap and really nice, if it doesn't work for you it's really no lose. I have dry-normal skin and it sat nicely. I set the foundation with Laura mercier loose setting powder with a wet beauty blender sponge and got very nice looking skin.

on 9/10/2017 10:08:00 AM

Frankly one of the worst foundations I've ever worn. I bought shade 2.1Y from the Deciem Covent Garden store and thankfully its under £6 because its going straight in the bin!

The formula is very thin and watery for a high coverage foundation. Somewhat equivalent in texture to the NYX total control drops or Loreal Magic nude liquid. Pigment wise, in comparison to other drugstore price, full coverage foundations like Milani 2 in 1 or Loreal total cover, this falls severely short. When swatched on the back of the hand this appears pigmented, but once applied (with brush or sponge) the coverage is poor and very patchy.

The worst part of this foundation is that once applied, it instantly sinks into all the fine lines and drier areas on your face you never even knew you had (not neccesarily "dry skin" - just an area a little drier than normal). It amplifies any existing skin issues and even adds more! Even if I used a blurring primer (eg. Benefit Porefessional or Garnier 5 sec Blur), all I had to do was smile once about 30 mins after application and suddenly the foundation had moved and created smile lines where there were none before. If you want to use this foundation, be sure to be expressionless! Also it exaggerates pores by sinking into them and then oxidising at a different rate to the rest of your face. Oxidation is also another problem I had, it changed colour from a light medium yellow tone to a warm orange within 20 mins of application with the addition of an ashy white cast.

When I attempted to mix this with other foundations (just to see if I could salvage SOME USE from it, it overpowered their formulas and clung to skin in its usual horrid way. I did a half face of milani and half of this for comparison and the result was shocking! Im only 24 and this made me look older, giving my combination skin texture, patchy coverage, chalkiness and crepey finish where the milani formula gave a smooth and youthful look. I repeated the experiment with Loreal total cover and event the Bourjois healthy mix foundation and the result was the same.

The formula never really sets or dries down and transfers even 1 hour after application. Now, when this transfers it doesn't just smudge a little, it completely comes off! It starts getting patchy and oily around 2 hours after wearing on a cloudy, windy day, i cant imagine this would wear well in warm weather or even at all on oily skinned people.

I don't recommend application with a sponge as the thin formula means your sponge will simply soak it up. Even with a kabuki brush, a completely even coverage could not be achieved.

I tried every which way to love this foundation, with different moisturisers, different primers, mixing it with other foundations, different setting powders and different application techniques but theres just no getting away from the fact that this is poorly formulated. Its really awful. Like I said, Im glad its only £5.90 because its going straight in the bin. The only reason I can see for this being sold out and popular is because Deciem dont have as many bad reviews on their page as here, which is suspicious....

UPDATE: DECIEM refused to publish my honest review because they "cannot verify that i purchased the product from" them.

I love some of Deciem's skincare formulations but this has to be one of the worst makeup products I have ever tried.

on 9/8/2017 3:39:00 PM

The yellow is slightly too yellow for my skin but the consistency and finish is as good as a premium brand...

on 9/8/2017 1:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm a hard sell when it comes to foundations. I have light-medium, acne prone skin, with neutral undertones, and finding a workable color, texture and finish is a major pain (I'm sure they hate me at Sephora). In my opinion, this matches the quality of the expensive brands. I purchased 2.0 N, and the color is perfect. It applied easily, with medium coverage and a natural-looking finish. My skin looks a bit candle-lit. If you find that this foundation makes your skin look dull, the color is probably a shade too dark for you. If I find that it doesn't last the day, or creates any other problem, I will update this post, but for now, I'm really happy with this.
UPDATE: I have used this multiple times now, and I still give it 5 stars. For those who complain that it's watery, you have to shake the bottle before dispensing. This imparts a wonderful finish to my skin and doesn't make me oily by the end of the day (I use oil at least once a day, so my skin doesn't need to produce more oil on its own). I find that it applies better and lasts longer on my skin if I stipple it on with a thick brush (ELF has a great one with white bristles) rather than a beauty blender, which just waters it down and makes it disappear before the end of the day.

on 9/6/2017 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

The price is good and the packaging is great. This foundation is just so-so. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. It's great for a light makeup day or quick application. It has great coverage but makes my skin look meh and flat. I don't notice any youthfulness, brightening or plumpness after applying, which I can get with my other foundations. It doesn't stay on my face as long either. I don't have to use a setting powder with this foundation because it seems to dry down a bit. I appreciate that aspect because powders tend to bring out my skin texture. The colors are slightly off. There isn't a good shade for neutral tones. I found they are very yellow or pink. My perfect match is Nars Gobi (NC15) so I purchased 1.1N. It is a bit too light so I think 1.2N is better. I like how thin the formula is while still giving coverage. It accentuates the texture around my nose more than I'd like. By the end of the day, my face is very shiny and looks slick. I don't like that since I wear glasses and it tends to get all over the nosepiece. I will continue to use it, but probably won't purchase more.

on 9/6/2017 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Horrible horrible horrible for Oily skin! It made me look extremely oily all the time and it rubbed off on everything, I really tried to make this foundation work. I tried primers and setting powders, I tried it with a totally clean face void of any creams but it always turned into a horrible mess; like I smeared baby oil all over my face and then threw baby powder onto it; caking by my nose and around my eyes but a greasy oily mess everywhere else eeeeeeeeeww!!