Wet 'n' Wild Photo Focus Foundation

Wet 'n' Wild Photo Focus Foundation
Photo Focus FoundationPhoto Focus FoundationPhoto Focus FoundationPhoto Focus Foundation

3.2

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

For reference; my favourite foundation is Tarte Rainforest Of The Sea, for which I wear Fair Neutral. I went for Porcelain in Photo Focus - a teensy bit too yellow toned, but it blends easily to a great match.

Photo Focus is wonderful for this time of year; My skin is dry and sensitive and the weather makes it worse, so I need something that won't feel heavy, or show up the dry patches and make my skin flake. This feels so light and silky on my skin and blending is easy (a damp beauty sponge is my preferred application method). Once blended, the results are a smooth satin finish, with build-able sheer to medium coverage. The feel and finished look of Photo Focus reminds me of my old favourite foundation; the discontinued Max Factor Xperience Weightless foundation.

I've found Photo Focus to be transfer resistant and I've worn with a primer, without one, with powder and alone; It is long lasting and gives a natural, un-cakey look any way I wear it, but I do recommend using the Wet n Wild Photo Focus setting spray for a really long wear time, as I prefer the natural look that combo gives the most. I'm really liking this and can't find any real negative points with it; the smell is a small niggle, but it fades before I can pinpoint it, so it's nowhere near as strong as reviewers & vloggers lead me to believe it would be.

Photo Focus is not my favourite foundation, but it's very close - Rainforest Of The Sea just feels more moisturizing and refreshing as it's water based. However when I'm cracking down on how much I spend and can't justify the expense of Rainforest Of The Sea [or when QVC UK runs out of my shade & take forever to restock], I'll very happily buy this again.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I honestly can't remember the last time I tried a Wet N Wild foundation. It must have been the Cover All that came out a few years ago which is now discontinued I believe. Anyway, I heard so many good things about this foundation and because of its price point I decided it couldn't hurt to test it out and see what the hype was all about.
First off, the shade selection is quite extensive although confusing. Shades labeled warm looked cooler and shades labeled neutral looked warmer. I tend to lean toward neutral or cool undertones because warm (i.e. Pink) just typically makes me look orange. So, I did the best I could and chose Soft Ivory even though it's categorized as warm because the shade up looked a touch too pink even though it was supposed to be neutral. Okay Wet n Wild, whatever you say.
Unlike some I like the spatula situation, granted it's not a pump so it's not perfect but spatulas are not something you see in drugstore makeup regularly. I find it a bit easier to get product with a spatula and obviously it's a personal preference so if the spatula is not your thing, it's totally fine. Just be aware that this is what Wet N Wild has given us with this foundation.
The smell does have quite a strong paint like aroma, however it's not nearly as bad imo as say the Maybelline Matte and Poreless (which I detest btw).
This foundation is rather thin and has almost an oily viscosity. Swatched on my hand it looked and felt gorgeous but my face was another story altogether.
This foundation felt difficult to blend out because it dries so quickly and the coverage is minimal whether using a beauty blender or a brush. It didn't cover any of the redness around my nostrils and it didn't do a thing for my under eye situation which is not heavily discolored mind you. I found myself having to use more concealer than I typically do.
The finish looked powdery and I spent what seemed like an eternity continuously trying to buff it into my skin to minimize this.
I did the best I could but I finally decided it wasn't going to get much better and surrendered. I set my undereyes and T Zone with setting powder, baked it for a few minutes and carried on.
About 30 mins after my entire makeup application I went outside to take a look. It was not good, not by a long shot.
This foundation accentuates and clings to eveeeeeerything. I'm a masking fiend and I use a sheet mask every night, so, my skin is hydrated and exfoliated to the max. Let me tell you, this foundation made my skin look like I've never used an exfoliator or a moisturizer in my life.
I will say that 7 hours into wearing I'm not oily and there's no pooling into my pores, but I also use the YSL blur primer (the one with the gold sparkles) and set it with Laura Mercier translucent setting powder so I don't know how much can be attributed to these products and how much is the foundation.
All in all, this may be decent for evening out skin tone for those with already great skin with no redness or discoloration, but it's definitely not as fantastic as the hype suggests. It's does look great in selfies, but irl not so much.
For its price point it's okay, I will say that. It's just not a foundation I'll likely use on any kind of consistent basis and zip definitely will not repurchase.

on 6/26/2017 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This foundation is NOT for textured skin, if you have flaws, acne scars, discoloration, dry patches. Just skip this one. Granted, this foundations DOES look amazing in photos, it looks cakey in real life. The formula is sheer and can be built to medium coverage with lots of coats and it dries down with a heavy feel to it. *Scent!! It literally smells like a bucket of Sherwin Williams house paint! Not kidding. I applied 3 coats on my cheeks since I have acne scars on that area and when I was in the sunlight I realized this foundation enhanced every one of my pores and made my skin look "rough" like when you haven't exfoliated for a while. And the pores on my nose where gigantic craters, not cute!

I would recommend as an alternative for photography makeup but in real life this foundation does not provide much coverage and ends up feeling and looking cakey. Hard pass for me and my acne scars.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

This is a pretty good work horse foundation. Price wise it was only $9.00 Canadian in Toronto, which is extremely low for foundation as even Maybelline's are now like $15. I have fairly normal to dry skin, tend to only break out a little once a mo., so not sure how it would work on oily skin. You need to work fast w/ it as it dries quickly. I find using a beauty blender sponge the best application. It is a solid med coverage, can be built to full, but at risk of looking overdone. I do like that it covers my hyperpigmentation scars if I re-layer it over those areas. What I like the most is, the longevity. Even after a 9 hour work day in a poorly air-conditioned medical office it remains on (UN-like any other of my DS foundation I have). Drawback of living in Toronto is that the darkest color at the Loblaws is "Amber-beige" and I'm an Indian who in the summer reaches an NC 43 so could have gone a shade up. I know that's not Wet N Wild's issue tho. One would just figure in a city of a high South East Asian population they'd have warmer shades avail.

on 6/25/2017 7:58:00 PM

Ive got 3 back-ups of this guy on my shelf, I love the medium coverage I get with this foundation, it does not cake or settle, seems to be transfer proof, and has a decent wear-time. I extend its natural wear time by using powders and setting sprays with it. I also appreciate the color and tone selection. I only wish it wasnt necessarily a foundation specifically for looking good on camera as I do like a good SPF in my foundation, but i settle for wearing SPF in a moisturizer underneath.
Just be aware that there is a potent smell of house paint to this foundation, I personally dont mind it since it dissapates once its applied to the skin, and it doesnt seem to bother my sensitive skin either.

on 7/14/2017 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is my usual go to foundation for every day. The main issue I had with this in the beginning was that it has a smell similar to nail polish, but after using it a few times I don't mind it. The texture is not my favorite but you get what you pay for ($5.99). I use it every day because it is cheap and replaceable, unlike my Lancome foundation. The coverage is light to medium, I feel if you work with it a bit and use powder it has the potential to be full coverage. I have oily skin and this does not cover that up at all even though it doesn't claim to. Since I am oily it can rub off on my shirt or on my hand if I rub on my face, but I am fairly good at not touching it. I have broken out slightly after using this regularly so if you have super sensitive skin I wouldn't recommend this. Definitely not long lasting.
However, this is not the perfect foundation and not ideal, this is perfect if you are in a pinch and can't afford to replace your more high-end product right away. I used this during my first year of college when I couldn't afford to use up my pricey items. Since I am not big on instagram or anything, I cannot confirm or deny that the claims on the bottle are true (perfect in any lighting on camera).

I see the hype on youtube and wanted to try. But I don't get it, there is nothing special on this foundation. The texture is very watery, the coverage is thin and doesn't cover my flaws and not even out my redness. When I saw reviews on youtube I was kinda excited because I saw the coverage and the end result was amazing on the youtubers but I don't get the same result.

The smell is bad and I hate the applicator it causes a lot of mess on the bottle. Very disappointed.

on 6/19/2017 3:33:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This foundation has a great color range, especially for such an affordable brand. I love the little applicator wand and the simple glass packaging. The shades also come with undertone descriptions on the bottle, which is handy and makes choosing your shade a lot easier.

Performance-wise, it works really well for me. It does sink into my pores and accentuate them, so I have to make sure to use a pore filling primer on certain areas before application. It's definitely not a natural foundation, it is obvious I am wearing foundation when I apply this. That being said, it looks beautiful after proper prep and it provides a really nice medium/full, buildable coverage. It wears well for several hours (as long as I set it). The longest I've worn it is maybe 5 hours in very warm weather and it held up really well, even in my T zone. I am very acne prone and I don't feel that this foundation breaks me out, which is a HUGE bonus.

However it smells horrible, like literal paint. I mean, I'm sure the majority of foundations smell this way before added scents and masking agents. But actually smelling it as I apply it to my face gives me anxiety by confronting me with the reality of how horrible for your skin foundation actually is. Due to this, I never reach for it anymore. It's not always the case that more affordable foundations have worse ingredients, but when it comes to this foundation, I do think that my skin has been sensitive to it. I have experienced a bit of stinging after application, but it could've been something else as I only experienced this once or twice. But all of these factors combined just kind of make me reluctant to retry it past the initial tests.

I actually really hate this foundation and am totally surprised when I see it talked up in the beauty-sphere. Number one, it smells god-awful. I'm not usually one to complain about scents, and I don't need all my products to smell like roses, but this was just unbearable. It smelled like cheap paint and it never faded, I could smell it on my face all day. Aside from that, it just ended up bringing out all my texture issues, so I just looked like a bumpy, cakey mess. The longevity was average for me, about 7 to 8 hours, but it just looked so uneven, even though I applied it with my real techniques sponge.

The bright side is that the shade I bought, nude ivory, was a great match for my neutral fair skintone. I also only paid about $6 for this at CVS, so it's a great option of this works for you (although I can only see it working for people with normal skin completely free of any texture issues like closed comedomes, acne scars, dry patches, ect., and those people might not even be inclined to choosing this medium-full coverage foundation). Either way, I advise you to save your money and look for better rated drugstore options.

on 6/16/2017 5:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I was hopeful this product would work for me -- but it didn't. Upon opening the bottle for application, I immediately recognized a "paint-like" smell. Foundation provided medium coverage and stayed put for about 8 hours before breaking down.
The big reason I only rated this product 1 out of five -- my face had red patches when I removed my makeup. I wore this foundation several times and the results were the same. My skin does not like this foundation.