Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

on 5/17/2017 8:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

So I decided to jump on The Ordinary bandwagon after:

1. getting sick of spending my hard earned cash on average serums (Khiels midnight recovery, Aesop and Estee Lauder anyone?); and

2. seeing it on sale on AdoreBeauty.

Although it seems impossible, after two nights of using this serum I can tell it's a winner.

At first I was a bit apprehensive because of low price (hoowww do they make it so potent but so cheap?) and some reviews on here (people say it's sticky).

I won't lie, on application I did find it slightly sticky. However, this went away about 3 minutes later and the product had completely absorbed. Great.

For background, I am not an alabaster beauty. My skin is medium tone, combination/oily, uneven and generally looks terrible without makeup.

Woke up this morning and had to look twice.

My usually tired, blotchy and sallow skin looked even, plump and bright. My frown line (which is there constantly) was so much less pronounced. My makeup went on like a dream also.

This is probably the first skincare item that I have used where I have noted a substantial difference.

When I think about all the money I have wasted on expensive skincare, I cringe. Don't bother with the expensive stuff, save your cash and buy this instead!

on 5/8/2017 8:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

As someone who hasn't really given any thought to skincare before, I have bought only the occasional oil or moisturiser. My main concern was always the eye area (hollowed, dark circles, so much fun overall). BUT I found myself turning 30 and reading on Korean Skincare about how Koreans like to start their skincare regimes early on, like 14 or so and I was mortified. And as someone who always tries to be as thrifty as possible, I started researching affordable anti-aging choices to get me started, even though I was late to the skincare party. Now, I have to say that I consider my skin (apart from the eye area) fairly good, with the occasional spot and somewhat visible pores but that's about it. My extensive internet research guided me to retinols and in turn that led me to the Advanced Retinoid 2%.
This is the first time I've applied anything retinol related to my skin. I apply it all over, including the area under the eyes, as I've read that it can help with the hollows. I have been using this for the past month and I have to say that my skin is visibly smoother and actually softer in the morning, but that's about it. No change yet under the eyes. I have had some scaling, mostly around the mouth. I like its consistency - it's white and has a serum-like feel, though on the heavier side -and I find it easy to spread and quick to absorb. Will continue to use in hopes of staving the lines and wrinkles off a little bit longer.

on 4/15/2017 1:19:00 PM

Yay.Another excellent serum from The Ordinary. This is well formulated, non irritating( retiniods usually are not), fast absorbing and gives me nice glow. On my face I am using 3 times a week with Matrixyl +HA serum on the top.my skin looks almost glowing and the pores looks more smooth. i did notice the skin is much more sensitive to the sun(thats retinoids for you), so i started using spf 50 protection.
the only negative is packing, as it not air tight (so after a while the product will be less effective) so i am replacing the product every two months.

on 4/16/2017 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a life changer. This, and the other serums from The Ordinary that consist 90 % of my skincare routine has given me the best skin days of my life. This serum is my "heavy hitter" that I use at night, and I believe this has done the most for my fine lines and a scar I had on the forehead from when I was a kid. The scar is almost completely vanished, and my fine lines around my eyes (because of too much tanning when I was a teen) are also almost gone.

Of all the Ordinary products I have, this is by far my favourite. Serious skin food, it leaves my skin plump and is helping with my battle against comedones. I highly reccomend!!

on 5/2/2017 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Bought this as a replacement for my more expensive retinol cream and have been loving it. I must admit having that I have changed a lot of steps in my skincare regime as of lately, having added a lot of The Ordinary products.
I have been using this for about a month and noticed a slight improvement around my eye area (yes I do use it as an eye cream as well) and the skin on my face in general. Since the price point is so reasonable I decided to use it on my neck and chest as well , starting only a a couple of weeks back. I have seen a huge improvement especially on the neck and chest, quite dramatically actually. Will definitely repurchase, just need them to stock up and a few other things that I will be buying, to qualify for the free shipping.

on 3/31/2017 5:45:00 PM

Another great product from The Ordinary. This is beautifully formulated, non irritating, fast absorbing and doesn't dry me out. Also, I have found this to be very effective for my nasty KP on the back of my arms! On my face I am using 3-4 x a week, with the B5 serum around my eyes and cheeks, and moisturizer on top of everything. This has improved my skin texture and helped with blackheads around my nose.Also a super reasonable price, like all of the Ordinary products. Highly recommend!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This review is for the ordinary 1% retinol. Can't find a thread for the 1%.Please use this product with caution! I practically burnt my skin using this product. I've been using Paula's choice clinical 1% so thought my skin could tolerate this! I was very wrong! I should have been more careful using it. Firstly, be careful with the amount that is squeezed from the tube - in hindsight I may have used WAY too much. If the packaging had a pump it would make it way easier to use. Secondly, I did not have any sensitivity after using this product two nights in a row so was lulled into a false sense of security. I'm currently 2 full days with itchy, flaky, red, sore and tight skin. Never again will I chance using this. Unless you're skin is able to tolerate potent retinol proceed with caution.

on 3/30/2017 5:55:00 PM

The price is amazing, of course, and the ingredients are stellar. I use the 2% (y'all, reviews have titles, review the product in the title or create a new review, for real) every other night at maximum, about 4-5 drops. No burning. It's well known that overdoing retinol will give you side effects, so if this gives you side effects because you used too much... that's because it works. Just saying. The retinol 1 % is a different product altogether and the retinoid 2% says right in the description of the product that it is next-gen, more advanced and less irritating than retinol 1%. Quote from Deciem: 'Advanced Retinoid 2% achieves better visible anti-ageing results than Retinol 1% with less irritation...'
Ingredients don't lie!

OK. so I recently purchased a few items from this line. I was already using the 1% retinol and had no issues with it, so why not go a bit harder with the 2%? Anyway, this comes in a dropper bottle and the consistency and colour is like milk. It really reminds me of a product I used to use called Synergie A+ serum in feel and texture on the skin. I placed a few drops on my palm and then dotted this over my clean skin. The first thing I noticed was how quickly it dries on the skin. 3 drops did my entire face, but once you have rubbed it in, it completely absorbs. I followed up with The Ordinary Natural Moisturising Factor. On initial application, I had absolutely no adverse reaction. The following morning, my skin felt completely normal and there were no reactions over night. My skin is very clear, but I am 51, so anti ageing is my ultimate goal with skincare. I am seriously impressed with this range so far. The only product that I haven't liked is the Caffeine Eye solution.