Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette
Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.6

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I love my new shade and light!... Was so happy when I heard Kat Von D was coming to the UK and Debenhams now stick her range!... I almost paid £64 on Amazon for this to be shipped from America too, thank God I waited. The colours are all so highly pigmented and easily blendable... Beautiful colours too, I will say a lot of the darker shades are VERY dark though... And as I like a brown on my lids, there's just one brown (lower left side - Sameal) that's light enough as I don't like a very dark lid. But the peach and smoke transition shades are beautiful, the whites/creams are very light and just do the job beautifully, and the black can either be used on the outer corner as its very easy to blend, or for a winged effect with a pointy dense pencil brush. I love it! It basically has everything you need in one palette. Also the packaging is gorgeous!! I love the large Gothic inside mirror. Adore this! Will try more of her things now!

on 9/11/2016 10:02:00 PM

I don't think I have ever disliked a pallet so much! I have never tried at KvD product, I usually stick to MAC or UD for shadows. I purchased this because I am in my mid 40's and matte looks better on my crepe lids.

These shadows are so soft, they are chalky and they are a mess when blending. Staying power is fine, but with a primer I never have a problem with staying power.

The color selection is OK, but once you look at it at home every day you realize you dont need so many neutrals in similar shades.

In the year I have had this palette I have used it probably 8 times. I keep trying to find something to do with it but it just isn't a pleasure to put on my makeup with this palette and makeup should be fun.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I hate to be the dissenter here and there are some excellent things about this product. The frustrations overpower them for now.
Pros
-decent value: many shades and substantial product for the price
-pigmented
-long-lasting with primer
-well-coordinated shades
-"cool" and "warm" match my pale, yellow-toned skin and dark hair well (oddly "neutral" makes me look sick)

Cons
-all flat matte shades
-difficult to blend, especially with pigmentation
-flakes easily and the runoff shifts all over the other shades in the palette and taints them
-hard to work with compared to my Urban Decay and MAC longwear: those are long-wearing and pigmented, but easy to blend and control for different looks

I love things about this palette, but find it difficult to work with at times, messy with runoff and just too matte.

The most frustrating part is trying to do contour, lashline, etc, and having too pigmented blotches that won't blend enough, but also aren't targeted enough to emphasize certain areas only. It doesn't "glide" enough and the fallout gets everywhere. The dry, powdery nature mixed with + pigment means extra product on the brush that falls everywhere and sticks where it falls. I hate how no matter what brush I use, extra powder comes off in the pan and sticks to the brush.

My eyes just end up looking messy. In contrast, I can easily work with Urban Decay (individual pots) and MAC to layer, blend, and emphasize flexibly.

Will continue trying to work with this, since I like the shades and lasting power!

on 9/7/2016 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

As a woman nearing my 40's with fine lines lids that are starting to show my age this pallet is one that I have a love/hate relationship with. I am a pallet junkie and have to buy every pallet I see as soon as they come out so the fact that this is an 'eye contouring pallet' as opposed to an eye shadow pallet was a unique concept to me.

I am usually heavy handed with my makeup but with this pallet I needed to realize I was contouring my eye to 'lift, balance and define' and after I watched some tutorials to figure it out (as opposed to applying this like eye shadow) I liked it.

I always use a primer with this, lately my favorite has been the Smashbox 24 hour photo finish though previously I was an UD die hard...but I digress!

Pros:

* Rich color
* Matte
* Pigmented
* Blendable

Cons

* Fall out
* Some colors are chalky and look muddy if overlapped

Overall this is a good pallet, it is not my favorite and if I am wanting to contour my eye area I can use my Anastasia pallet to be perfectly honest (the coloring and texture is better/finer).

on 9/1/2016 4:35:00 PM

Must have matte eye palette for Asian monolid eyes.

I personally rarely use shimmer eyeshadows, and this palette is the best match for my needs. All shades are very pigmented and bendable. It's very easy to work with.

on 9/7/2016 10:11:00 AM

Fall of 2015 I bought this palette and was so hardcore in love I almost bought a backup. August of 2016 I sold this in a blogsale, and don't really miss it.

This is an awesome palette if you don't have many matte neutrals, or if you really enjoy all matte looks. I tend to prefer a touch of satin or slight shimmer-- at least as an inner corner HL, if not my whole lid. The shade in the far right of this palette-- a peachy nude beige tone-- has a slight satin quality to it. But in all this is a VERY matte palette.

KVD formulation in this palette is HIGH pigment. And I can see this being great if it works for you-- I personally prefer a little less pigmentation-- I prefer my Mac mattes much more.( And my tf and even my UD). Maybe it's bc im so fair skinned? Maybe it is because I am hard on shadows- I can't really say.

On me this just made looks that looked very-- obvious looking. For my taste the point of a matte nude look is to have a look that is a my eye but better-- understood this isn't everyone's goal, and if you want to do nice matte smokey looks this palette is MADE for you!! Not only is it super high pigment, but also there is almost NO FALLOUT. I almost kept the palette for the black shade alone-- I could literally pack this into my lashline and it wouldn't move. It works better than many cakeliners on the market. But I didn't want to keep a big bulky palette for that one shade.

Also the dealbreaker for me was this palette didn't seem to play well with other shadows. I would try to use this palette and then add a shimmer on the lid-- like a lorac or Mac naked lunch. It never looked right. I guess bc these are high pigment-- other shades wouldn't blend out over them as well and it would make my shimmers look dull and a bit muddy.

Pros:
High pigmented
Essential shades anyone could use
Pretty packaging w mirror
No fallout/ minimal fallout
Blackest black ive ever used
Not too pricey/good value for what you get

Cons:
Difficult to blend out/ especially when used with other shadow formulations
You probably can dupe many shades in this palette. Even within the palette-- both dark browns look similar once on eye. And even the oatmeal and white shade look really similar once on the eye. *actually if that oatmeal shade in the neutral quad was a neutral pink (think Mac yogurt) I probably would have kept the palette. It would be more versatile.

on 8/16/2016 3:28:00 PM

I didn't like this product nearly as much as I thought I would. I was so excited to get it but it just looked kind of muddy and dull on me (and yes I was using good brushes). I think I was a little underwhelmed since I already have the Naked Basic palette which I primarily used for mattes. I typically love Kat Von D products but this one was a miss for me.

on 8/28/2016 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I really love this palette, Kat Von D provides consistency with high performance pigmentation.

The shadows are more powdery but do not cause fallout if applied sparingly. They blend very well together and can creat a clean or smokey eye look.

I especially love the warmer shades in this because of my skin tone but love using it in conjunction with shimmery or satin shades from other palettes, as it helps fill in the gaps those palettes may have.

Over all this is a greatly pigmented and everyday usable palette, that is worth the price tag

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

LOVE this palette. Some of the best matte shades I've ever used - though I find Lorac's to have a slight better pigmentation. These blend and wear beautifully and it is a great shade range. I was initially scared of how warm the right third of the palette looked, but it still looks okay on my neutral-cool skintone. I also appreciate how Kat put some thought into making some of the shades bigger - the warm vanilla shade can be used all over the browbone, and the other two are great crease and lower lashline shades. Every shade in this palette is a winner, and this combined with usually one metallic shade for my lid is everything I need when traveling as far as eyeshadow goes. If you want to build your palette collection, this and a few Lorac palettes will get you set to go! :)

on 8/14/2016 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this palette and use it all the time. The quality is wonderful and the colors wear so well. I I'm going to throw it out there, that while I do love this palette and find it super useful, I wouldn't say it's a must have for everyone. If you are not a serious makeup addict I don't feel like you'll find it as useful. Everyone isn't going to know what to do with twelve neutral shades of brown. The palette is made for eye contouring which isn't something the average makeup wearer is going to need daily. So if you think you can put it to good use I would say it is absolutely worth the money and that there isn't another palette on the market that compares.