Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4

Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4

3.9

2011 Reformulaton: Water, Alcohol Denat., Salicylic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Trehelose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA-Copper, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-4, Green 5

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I'm not sure how to feel about this lotion. The amount of alcohol in it (the smell!) cannot be good for my skin, yet this is the only lotion that has managed to clear my skin and keep my pores unclogged. After I finished my first bottle, I started breaking out again and my skin became seriously disgusting, so I bought another bottle and within a week my face had completely cleared up! It hasn't irritated my skin and it does not burn like a few other toners out there. It can be a little drying, but nothing that a moisturizer can't fix. For the mean time I will continue using it until I find another alcohol-free lotion that works this well.

Note: This is meant for very oily skin only!! If you have any other skin type this might be extremely drying and/or irritating.

on 1/10/2009 8:06:00 AM

I have used it before I looked at ingredients list when shopping so I really haven't been aware that it doesn't use ANYTHING useful for skin health. It's only alcohol, some moisturizing ingredients and colorants.
This product is soooo agressive, I couldn't use it even few times in a row.
Sorry, Clinique, but with so many researches you still wanna harm people's skin?!?!??!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have sensitive, acne prone skin. I also have seborrheic dermatitis, but where i live at times it can become super hot and humid, and my face will start to sweat alot during such times. This product works great for exfoliation and taking away shine, however, it is too strong for me to use on a daily basis, so i had to stop using it.

I would only recommend using it if your skin can handle alot, because unfortunately my skin can't.

on 11/19/2008 5:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I use this when I can't afford my Vichy toner. It's pretty awesome... kinda drying though... and my skin is super oily.

on 12/30/2008 10:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This stuff is amazing! It's VERY strong, and only for those of you with super oily skin. I've been using it twice a day for about six weeks with the 3-step system. It exfoliated and brightened my face over time, fading scars, and killing my acne. It's only getting better and I hope my skin doesn't get used to it.

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

This is pretty good toner. I have pretty oily skin and this toner can be very drying. I only really use this about once a week. Works pretty well, but you really have to moisturize after using this! For reference I am skin type 4 under clinique's system :)

I've used number 3 for several years, but recently moved up to 4. Number 3 was no longer providing enough exfoliation. I use this toner once a day, and it really keeps my oily skin in check. I don't know how much more salicylic acid is in this product, but I can say for certain that it is quite a bit stronger than number 3.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

This stuff was WAY WAY harsh on my skin, and it isn't sensitive. It burned, it was sticky, smelled awful, and I'm pretty sure it contributed to what I now call the most hoRrific breakout I've ever had. DON'T BUY THIS STUFF! IT'S PURE CHEMICAL.

on 7/3/2008 6:30:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Clinique was one of the first skin care systems I ever used. When I was first making my purchase (back in the mid-1990s), even though I ended up buying the Clarifying Lotion #3, the salesperson had me try a little bit of this one (#4) before I made my decision. I don't know if Clinique has changed their formula since then, but back when I was still a Clinique user, one of the ingredients in this was acetone (the stuff you use to remove nail polish). I remember this product smelling like paint thinner and irritating my skin to no end. #3 (the one I ended up purchasing, which also contained acetone) ended up making my face feel horrible, so I can only imagine how much worse #4 would have been had I attempted to use it regularly. Anyone purchasing Clinique skin care, I urge you to read their list of ingredients before you purchase!!!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I've been with Clinique for a few years now - I used #2 Clarifying Lotion in my teens and #3 in my early 20s. Once I hit 25, my skin decided to become the Holy Meeting Grounds of the Chuch of Too Much Oil. Tragic, I know. Completley out of the blue my face started breaking out for the first time since middle school. I tried a bunch of acne remedies with no success, finally going to the Clinique counter and asking for the dreaded blue (#4) toner. Well, within 1 week (that is 7 days of the Gregorian calendar) my skin was clear again. Thank you lawd! I mean, seriously, I'm too old for pimples.

Ok, so here's what's up - do NOT use this if you have dry skin, normal skin or even skin that's sorta oily every third Tuesday. No, for this to not take your face off, YOU MUST HAVE OILY SKIN. Like, your face better look like the Fonze was all up in there. Do you even know who da Fonze is?

At the end of the day, this stuff saved my face. Ignore reviewers who say "this burned my face." Well, duh, its not for dry/normal skin.