Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.6

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I need to be fair and state that this is not related to the original Opium in the least, however that does not mean this isn't pleasant. I own both the original Opium and Opium Black and can find merit in both. To me this reads like a very sweet orange blossom and jasmine fragrance layered over vanilla, a dash of coffee and wood. The scent is similar in some aspects to the orange blossom in Armani Code and is gourmand in nature like Angel. If you love orange blossom and sweet vanilla fragrances you will likely love this: however if you are looking for an incense laden, noir, spice bomb look elsewhere!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I got a tester that was enough for me to try it about 5 times. Well, it is sexy and fun. BUT. It disappears very quickly and the very last note that lingers around feels totally fake and synthetic (this was the deal breaker for me). It is exactly the note you can smell in a Warm vanilla Sugar by Bath and Body Works, which is about 10 times cheaper, if not more. I don't mind the price, but I don't want to smell like half of women out there. Going back to Chanel Mademoiselle EDT (not EDP)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got a sample of this at Sephora. I adore this scent. On me it doesn't put off as too sweet. It's a good combination of sweet and warm. I've tried flower bomb and it is similar but with my body chemistry YSL just smells better. Love it. I recommend getting a sample and try it.

on 2/29/2016 1:33:00 AM

Smells great for about ten minutes...then it fades. After an hour, the scent is gone. Awesome, huh, for such expensive stuff? Yea, right.

on 2/20/2016 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This has become my "school fragrance", a perfume I wear when I go to school, because it stays close to the skin. It has somehow grew on me, I like the sweet scent, the vanilla, patchouli and cedar, topped with jasmine are really a nice blend and the pear and orange blossom give it a little "lift". It's not a unique scent, but very likeable, warm, sweet and feminine and goes well with my body chemistry. However, I can't seem to smell the coffee in this one, even though it's stated that it's one of the dominating scents in this fragrance. It is not my signature fragrance, which is Serge Lutens "un bois vanille", but it's good to switch now and then. So it's 4 lippies from me =)

UPDATE: I developed a horrid allergic reaction from this perfume. After several months of usage I suddenly end up with a red itchy rash on my neck and wrists (exactly where I put it), so I had to return it. It took me a month until the rash was gone (despite using medicated prescpripted cream).

The EDP of this stays on my skin like no other, I am surprised that people have a problem with longevity? Maybe it's just my skin.
This perfume comes in a really pretty bottle and I expected something darker, mysterious but all it is is a comfy, sweet scent. Nothing special at all and definitely not worthy of the Opium name. Just a sweet little thing that's great for cozying up with your significant other on a cold night. Not bad but not great either.

on 1/17/2016 9:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is slowly becoming my signature scent, and I absolutely love it (despite the price...)

So I ordered the rollerball on Sephora.com because I was so sure that this was going to become a favorite of mine. I remembered smelling it at a counter when I went out of town, but never bothered to actually spritz a little on myself--forgetting that the smell would change a little once on the skin... Now I don't think the scent is bad, but I do think it's very mediocre. It's actually very similar to Lancome's 'La Vie Belle', which is almost a carbon copy of Flowerbomb (When I smell them one after the other anyway.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love the bottle, I love the scent, I love absolutely everything about this fragrance!!!
If I ever ran out of this perfume, I would definitely repurchase. I don't understand the bad reviews for Black Opium, but maybe it's just proof that perfume is subjective. This is why, if you ever think about buying this fragrance, I recommend you smell it and test it beforehand.
Overall, my signature scent!

on 12/29/2015 12:40:00 PM

This does smell a lot like Loverdose by Diesel, but I do like it a lot! it is sweet but not to sweet, but it may only last on me for about 3-4 hours which is disappointing. I don't get any of the coffee out of it, I sprayed some on my mum to see if it smelt any different on her and it smelt just like it did on me. I think most people can wear this perfume, I would say it's more of a day time perfume, I know some say night time but I don't find it heavy/strong enough for night time. overall it's ok nothing special I wouldn't buy it again.

Popular Fragrances