Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.6

on 12/29/2015 12:40:00 PM

This does smell a lot like Loverdose by Diesel, but I do like it a lot! it is sweet but not to sweet, but it may only last on me for about 3-4 hours which is disappointing. I don't get any of the coffee out of it, I sprayed some on my mum to see if it smelt any different on her and it smelt just like it did on me. I think most people can wear this perfume, I would say it's more of a day time perfume, I know some say night time but I don't find it heavy/strong enough for night time. overall it's ok nothing special I wouldn't buy it again.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love the bottle, I love the scent, I love absolutely everything about this fragrance!!!
If I ever ran out of this perfume, I would definitely repurchase. I don't understand the bad reviews for Black Opium, but maybe it's just proof that perfume is subjective. This is why, if you ever think about buying this fragrance, I recommend you smell it and test it beforehand.
Overall, my signature scent!

on 12/22/2015 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I am really surprised to see such low ratings for this new perfume. But hey, that totally goes to show scents are subjective, right?

I couldn't stand the original Opium scent from back in the day (ok maybe they still sell it, I dunno LOL). But when this came out got a sample of it and was blown away. I ended up loving it so much ordered a bottle the very next day...This is a very sexy scent. Per the description there are coffee and vanilla notes, as well as a few different woodsy layers. I don't get the coffee or too any heavy woodsy notes (such as sandalwood and patchouli), which to be quite honest I am very happy about as I find them too masculine. Also the vanilla is quite tame and definitely not overpowering either. What I do get is a mixture of both spicy and sweet which I can't quite put my finger on, but LOVE.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

the bottle is pretty, sparkly and classy. the scent is an exact replica of loverdose (the purple bottle). im disappointed as its not a new fragrance and not nearly as classy as the original opium; this is a far younger scent and again, smells exactly like Loverdose.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

If you own Fame by Lady Gaga, don't buy Black Opium because they're pretty much the same thing.

If you don't own Fame, then go ahead and try it out for yourself. I don't really like the scent. It's very strong with a sweetness to it. It's a very mature scent.

on 12/17/2015 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Unfortunately I didn't like this and really wanted to. Was really hoping you could smell the coffee notes in this one, but the coffee just meekly wanders in behind the strong fruity flowers and sits shyly in the corner before it slips out of the room unoticed. Honestly this smells like every other popular perfume on the market. La vie a belle, Armani Si, and flower bomb. If u already own one of those perfumes I would spend money on this one.

on 11/20/2015 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I absolutely love this perfume, so much that I wore it on my wedding day. So unique and lasts all day and worth the money.

on 11/29/2015 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm surprised to see this isn't rated higher. I got this as a tester and really quite like it. It's definitely has a sweet smell more than anything - it's vanilla but the undertones of the coffee give it a very deep smell. I don't smell anything that screams COFFEE(that'd be a weird perfume I think), but the slight notes are there. I find this to be a smooth, rich, sensual, and warm scent. It's amazing for fall/winter. It seems to wear for a while too without being overpowering, which I love. Only 4/5 because I didn't fall in love with it, but it's still one of my faves.

on 11/25/2015 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I honestly don't like this perfume very much. I was given it as a present, I thought it would be like the original opium but it was far from it.

It smells very smokey sweet and dark. It is very strong and the reason I did not like it, was because it was pungent. If you have ever smelt DKNY Delicious Night mixed with Victoria Secret's Vanilla Lace, that is how I would describe it. In my opinion not a good mix.

I have to really be in a mood to be able to wear this. If I am honest, I almost hate it, I only wear it because I know SOME guys like it, I have been given some compliments but usually much more wearing a lighter feminine fragrance - Daisy Dream. Really not impressed for a YSL perfume.

Although it doesn't smell great, I did give it 3 stars for the fact it is very unique. I've never smelt anything like it. When I take a whiff I initially get a quite strong spicy note of aniseed mixed with coffee/tobacco and a strong vanilla undertone to the spice. I do smell a hint of floral, but more a sort of dark floral note very heavy too. Maybe Jasmine, but not your fresh sweet scent of Jasmine, more a heavy smoky smelling floral scent. It's also a little peppery, I can detect a little frankincense. In addition there is a touch of a cologne smell to it.

The main reason I dislike this perfume is because when I used to smoke, I would use pungent sickly perfumes to hide the cigarette stench from my parents, or at least to distract them from the smell of smoke. This is exactly what it smelt like to me. Too much, over the top, pungent and most of all not the best combination of notes. I would think floral notes would suit an overly spicy scent more, rather than an overly sweet one. In my opinion the two notes majorly repel each other which is the biggest let down for me.

In terms of price, this was very expensive and I don't think it is worth the price. It was more expensive than YSL Cinema, which was a perfume I really liked. I also liked roses by YSL. Both fantastic perfumes were much cheaper. I felt a little disappointed by this one.

on 12/7/2015 4:42:00 PM

It is ok, but don't last.

Popular Fragrances