Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.6

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I haven't even been interested in trying this because I loathe the original Opium. Turns out I had nothing to be worried about since Black Opium doesn't seem to even be a distant cousin of the original. I love so many things about Black Opium - its creamy vanilla warmth, its sultry-but-sweet spice -- that base note of musk that doesn't overpower. I do wish they had a lighter flanker for summer because it feels too rich and heavy for hot weather but for now I just layer it with one of my lighter fragrances that mixes well with it. I adore this and will never be without it!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is sweet yet warm. I feel like this is good for Fall and early Winter. Or evening if worn in the Summer. I think this is one of those perfumes that you might want to be careful wearing around those with sensitive noses or allergies, as it has some notes that seem would trigger allergies or reactions. I would not wear this to work or to school. Date nites or weddings or that sort of thing...

I like this scent. While there are dozens if not hundreds of perfumes out now with the sweet smell, this one is different. I do not detect patchouli in this but those who do not like patchouli may pick up on it. I just detect a sweet slightly fruity yet warm smell about this. Almost like if you want to smell like a warm fruit pie right out of the oven..?

This is though one of those perfumes that I have better luck 'walking into the fragrance' : ie: I spritz it and 'walk into' the mist. I feel like this is one of those perfumes that if I spray it directly to my wrists or pulse points, it blends badly with my body chemistry.

I will say I think this is a bit over-rated and over-priced..This wears off on me within a couple of hours, and the dry down gets very sweet, almost sickeningly sweet for me..So I would not wear this somewhere that I will have it on all day (again, not to work or to school).

All in all not holy grail for me, and I would not shout out about it, but I may re-purchase it somewhere, some day. Nothing special, but happy to have it in my collection and I can see me definitely using up the entire bottle.

So, I like it but not be all end all like some make it out to be. But fragrance is so subjective, what is holy grail for me I am sure would not be for others. So that is why I stuck with the performance, lasting power and dry-down scent of this as opposed to the overall scent itself. ;)

UPDATE: This review was written based on the many samples I had received of this. I now have the full bottle and I agree with the other reviewers, this is very heavy on the vanilla note (seriously smells like a vanilla spray or candle) and/or this smells like one of the many cheap celebrity fragrances that you can get for a fraction of the price of this. I also agree with the other reviewers that say that this smells like a young girl's scent. As a woman of 45 years old this just does not appeal to me. And there is supposed to be a coffee note in there. I am a coffee freak so I would pick up on a coffee note and I pick up no coffee note. Perhaps I got a bad bottle. But I bought this at Ulta, so it should have been fine!! :( If you like very sweet, very vanilla scents, this might be something you would enjoy. To me it is nothing special. Overpriced imho (which I did say in my initial review). I dropped my initial rating of this from 3 lippies to 2 lippies. Very average scent that is overpriced, and if you are looking at the notes described online for this, you might be disappointed.

on 4/2/2016 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Not so nice

on 4/1/2016 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have to preface my first perfume review with this: I'm not a perfume expert. I don't profess to be knowledgeable on perfumes as I am about skincare/makeup. At best, I'm just someone who likes to have fun with beauty-related things and doesn't have intense knowledge of the subject, but this is the first perfume to really captivate my interest on the regular.

According to the Sephora website, YSL Black Opium is listed as having the following as notes: "Coffee Accord, Orange Blossom, Cedarwood Essence, Patchouli Essense." Now, to my limited understanding, certain notes hit everyone different because of the makeup of chemicals in your skin. Some people might have stronger patchouli notes, others coffee, etc. On me, the orange blossom is particularly strong at first before going into a mix of the cedarwood and an almost vanilla smell, which is a good thing as I'm not particularly fond of patchouli. I do not get any of the coffee notes.

The longevity of this is so-so for me. It lasts for a good 15-20 minutes before only lightly remaining, though, even if it's barely there, I can still smell it on me if I hold my wrist up to my nose about 7 hours later. When I initially spray it, I do find myself getting a lot of compliments on it.

While this is my favorite perfume I own, I don't wear it every day. For me, it's something I wear for if I need to get ramped up for something professional (presentation, big bosses are visiting, etc.) or romantic (date night, etc.) I am just about finished with the travel spray version, but have already purchased the 1 oz. version.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I need to be fair and state that this is not related to the original Opium in the least, however that does not mean this isn't pleasant. I own both the original Opium and Opium Black and can find merit in both. To me this reads like a very sweet orange blossom and jasmine fragrance layered over vanilla, a dash of coffee and wood. The scent is similar in some aspects to the orange blossom in Armani Code and is gourmand in nature like Angel. If you love orange blossom and sweet vanilla fragrances you will likely love this: however if you are looking for an incense laden, noir, spice bomb look elsewhere!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I got a tester that was enough for me to try it about 5 times. Well, it is sexy and fun. BUT. It disappears very quickly and the very last note that lingers around feels totally fake and synthetic (this was the deal breaker for me). It is exactly the note you can smell in a Warm vanilla Sugar by Bath and Body Works, which is about 10 times cheaper, if not more. I don't mind the price, but I don't want to smell like half of women out there. Going back to Chanel Mademoiselle EDT (not EDP)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got a sample of this at Sephora. I adore this scent. On me it doesn't put off as too sweet. It's a good combination of sweet and warm. I've tried flower bomb and it is similar but with my body chemistry YSL just smells better. Love it. I recommend getting a sample and try it.

on 2/29/2016 1:33:00 AM

Smells great for about ten minutes...then it fades. After an hour, the scent is gone. Awesome, huh, for such expensive stuff? Yea, right.

on 2/20/2016 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This has become my "school fragrance", a perfume I wear when I go to school, because it stays close to the skin. It has somehow grew on me, I like the sweet scent, the vanilla, patchouli and cedar, topped with jasmine are really a nice blend and the pear and orange blossom give it a little "lift". It's not a unique scent, but very likeable, warm, sweet and feminine and goes well with my body chemistry. However, I can't seem to smell the coffee in this one, even though it's stated that it's one of the dominating scents in this fragrance. It is not my signature fragrance, which is Serge Lutens "un bois vanille", but it's good to switch now and then. So it's 4 lippies from me =)

UPDATE: I developed a horrid allergic reaction from this perfume. After several months of usage I suddenly end up with a red itchy rash on my neck and wrists (exactly where I put it), so I had to return it. It took me a month until the rash was gone (despite using medicated prescpripted cream).

The EDP of this stays on my skin like no other, I am surprised that people have a problem with longevity? Maybe it's just my skin.
This perfume comes in a really pretty bottle and I expected something darker, mysterious but all it is is a comfy, sweet scent. Nothing special at all and definitely not worthy of the Opium name. Just a sweet little thing that's great for cozying up with your significant other on a cold night. Not bad but not great either.

Popular Fragrances