Makeup Revolution Eye Shadow Palettes

Makeup Revolution  Eye Shadow Palettes

3.7

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I love these eyeshadows! They are soft and pigmented! Well worth £4! Identical to the naked palette!

on 9/3/2015 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Review for Iconic 3 and Romantic Smoked

Background:
I have the Too Faced Chocolate Bar and was really liking how Strawberry Bon Bon looked and wanted to get into more matte looks (aside from the browns that I already had) to add to the Strawberry or even for different looks, like a taupe matte eye. I looked up some Makeup Revolution palettes and the swatches looked amazing. I decided the essential mattes were too blue so I was eyeing the Romantic Smoked. But when I went to the store, I wasn't impressed with how the pigmentation looked through the window. I ended up getting a few Nyx matte shades instead.

I kept looking at the swatches though, and in the pictures online, the palette looked drab compared to the nice swatches in peoples images, so maybe they just applied better than they looked. But some swatches looked really dull and powdery. I had to know for myself, so I got the Romantic Smoked and also picked up Iconic 3, since I realllly love some of the shades I've swatched in Naked 3, but wouldn't pay that kind of money for it. *I eventually got it.*

ICONIC 3 Shades and Comparison:

1 - a white based matte neutral, really chalky, UD Strange way better, TF White Ch. even better than those.

2 - super glimmery pink shimmer (compare to UD Dust) They're not too different. Honestly neither are so finely milled.

3 - a reddish pink shimmer. This disappointed me a lot. Not at all like UD Burnout which was one of the shades I wanted. They might look similar in photos, but they aren't. This one is just basic and chunky. Burnout is FAR lighter and actually pink which matters for neutral looks.

4 - a soft taupe matte, NOTHING LIKE UD Limit!! This is the other really disappointing shade for me, I really wanted a soft PINK matte that was more taupey than my Strawberry, but this is just flat and DARK. I feel like this is the reason I bought this palette so to have it fall short is really disappointing. Again, totally changes the look when used as a lid color over Limit.

5 - a really glittery RED
6 - a really glittery gold
These two, they are not dupes color wise, way harsher and almost darker but in my opinion they are too chunky with glitter. These are shades I probably wouldn't wear in this palette so I don't pay much attention to them. They're far better in Naked.

7 - this shade is pretty much a darker shade 4, kind of like how Nooner is to Limit, but again a brown base. I actually like it in real life more than how it photographs. There's a slight rose color to this, slight. Still not pinky though.

8 - this is a brown copper shimmer, but Liar is far nicer, less bronzey/more pink.

9 AND 10 - two pretty taupe satins. I like these shades, but they didn't even TRY to make two shades. Like, I can not tell them apart. At least not without squinting and looking super close in direct sunlight. Some swatchers got them to show differently. Idk if it's just my palette but that means the consistency between palettes might not be so stringent. Both are more like Mugshot. Factory is browner (which is funny, because Iconic has a record of being the browner toned one) And it's pretty identical to the #2 from the Romantic Smoked palette as well.

11 - complete and total winner of this palette. This is a violet shifted satiny taupe. It reminds me of Jane Passionflower but the blue tones are stronger in this one. I actually PREFER it over Darkside! Better in person. The shimmer does fall away though.

12 - a *black* with pink shimmer overlay, it's not burgundy. Looks cheaper to me than Blackheart. Not a color dupe for BFT (Too Faced) either, but less fallout. The shimmer does wear off, blends greyish.

ROMANTIC SMOKED:

1 - glimmery white. Wears off quickly

2 - a rosey taupe shimmer, similar to Iconic 3 shades 9 & 10.

3 - shimmery light pink, very similar to #2 from Iconic 3

4 - a golden olive shimmer

5 - a shimmer lilac

6 - a shimmer rust red, not super dark, copper shift, but less brown than TF Amaretto

7 - a matte pink beige? this one is pretty underpigmented. If you REALLY rub you get a violet taupe that you wouldn't expect, but good luck applying that.

8 - matte clay brown, very dull. Like no one would like this color.

9 - a pretty medium matte orchid. I like this one.

10 - a weak black matte

11 - another bummer, looks aubergine in other pics, mine is a dark grey. Hard.

12 - a peach matte. It has a nice color but all the mattes in this are super hard. It is better IRL though, as it blends into my skin in pics.

Overview:

Formula wise, I'm disappointed. Half of them are pigmented well but the shimmer can hide the colors, so the finished product looks one dimensional and a bit childish. The colors could be more unique too; they take the cheap way out in making a lot of colors really similar in base color, (brown/grey) especially the Iconic 3. The glitter shades have bad fallout, the mattes can be really chalky and hard. The shimmers are finer milled in the Romantic palette, but again a bit over done. There is crease wear with these. I wouldn't call Iconic a "Dupe" for the Naked at all, it applies and looks cheaper, less bright in some ways but too dark in others, less adult. I've made nice simple looks with these but I the variety is less than it appears.

I replaced the brushes. Of course the price is great but cheap prices only excite me if the quality is worth it. I dislike having palettes if most of the colors are useless. I only *really like* about one color from each, I'm ok with a few colors but they aren't so exotic and new to me and only use them because it's easy to grab these. But I *hate* a good third of the colors. I didn't return these when I could and but now that I have Naked 3 I kind of wish I did. There are some pros. I like that I could travel with it easily and have variety and if it breaks it's no big. They're workable and affordable if you're new to makeup, but if not you probably won't like the

on 7/7/2015 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have gotten 3 palettes from Makeup Revolution so far - Iconic Pro 1 & 2 (dupes for the Lorac Pro palettes) and the I Heart Chocoale (dupe for Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette).
I wanted all three of the original palettes. That would have cost me $133. The three palettes from Makeup Revolution cost me $34.26 plus shipping. All three for less than the cost of one palette.
These are all beautiful. Buttery, creamy, pigmented, blend beautifully, last all day. I can't rave enough about how great the quality of these are. I know I'm not missing out at all by buying these dupes. I would absolutely recommend these to anyone looking to save some money, or just looking for some beautiful shadows in general.
I ordered from their website - paying international shipping to the United States was a little pricey but completely worth it. Now they have a small selection available at Ulta, at least online - I don't know if these are in store as well. Hopefully they will expand their collection and be more easily available in the states. However, shipping from their website was quick and the products came wrapped well and protected.
Highly highly recommend. I adore this company!!

on 6/5/2015 8:54:00 PM

This review is for the Makeup Revolution Awesome 100 Palette.I just adore it.The shadows are just amazing and I paid only 8 pounds of it since it was on sale.Shadows are surprisingly pigmented and true to color.The palette has beautiful colors and shades,there are lots of colorful shades and also a lot of natural and shiny ones,nudes and smokes.You can create beautiful looks with this palette and now it costs 12 pounds.It's one of my Top 5 shadow palettes.A word about the other palettes,they're also amazing.Iconic Pro palettes = wonderful. I recommend with bottom of my heart :)

on 5/18/2015 5:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I bought Makeup Revolution Iconic 3 palette after hearing rumors that its UD Naked 3 Dupe. Oh man, turns out it really is! I'm going to sell away my Naked palettes! It's pigmented and has very little fall-out. The other "heap" eyeshadow palettes I own is from Sleek. Well, i can stop buying Sleek from now on. Makeup Revolution is way cheaper and not as chalky as Sleek. Can't wait to try Iconic 1 & 2 as well as Heart Chocolate which I heard is an exact dupe of TOO Faced Chocolate Bar.

I brought the iconic 2 palette after hearing it was a dupe for the naked 2 palette, I am pleased to say I am very impressed with it. At £4 you can't really complain, the colours look near enough identical, the packaging is good and the pigmentation on the colours are great!! Would definitely recommend anyone to get this as you would be saving a lot of money if you were considering the naked 2 palette or even if you just want to add to your makeup collection this is great. I will probably be buying the other 2 very soon!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used to own the Naked 3 Palette and can count on one hand the amount of times I used it. I was never impressed with the colours (too pink and purple hued) the fallout (glitter EVERYWHERE) and the quality (either too chalky or too glittery). As a result I sold it and decided to try some of the cheaper eyeshadow palettes on the market, figuring that if I didn't like those at least I wouldn't have spent 30+ on one. And the Makeup Revolution Redemption Palette Iconic 3 was one of the first I went for...

Yes it's a dupe for the Naked 3, but in my opinion it's far superior. There's barely any fallout, the glitter/shimmer in this is much finer meaning your face doesn't end up looking like you've been mugged by Tinkerbell, and the shades are much more subtle so it doesn't make your eyelids looked bruised or washed out (which I found the Naked 3 had a tendency to do). The other added bonus is this costs 4.00, which is 34.00 cheaper than the Naked 3. And it performs better.

In my opinion it's a no brainer - if you want to try the Urban Decay, Too Faced, Stila etc palettes but can't afford their prices/don't want to pay their prices, try the Makeup Revolution palettes instead. They're cheaper, available in most branches of Superdrug in the UK and they won't break the bank. And you can buy 9 of these for the cost of one Urban Decay palette. 'Nuff said!

on 4/26/2015 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Update: after using these a while, I have found I really dislike the texture of the shimmery shades. they are heavy, as someone put it, almost slimey (many may read this as "buttery" but I don't), and tend towards frost. Of the Iconic Pro 2 palette, which I depotted, only 2 out of 8 shimmery shades were non-frosted enough for me to bother keeping. For depotters, the matte shades are *exceedingly* fragile, moreso than the shimmers, depot with extreme care and heat only. Both the Iconic and Iconic Pro palette outer cases are decent quality, as a side note, if you don't damage them while depotting they make great sturdy freeform palettes - just stick magnetic sheeting into them. I would not repurchase these again. If you can find a 90-100% matte palette they may be worth checking out but these shimmery and mixed palettes have proven to be a bust for me.

I recently acquired the Iconic 3 and Iconic Pro 2 palettes from MUR, they are my first experience with the brand. I had been lemming Urban Decay's Naked 3 palette for a while but the 50 price tag here always gave me pause. I do already own the original UD Naked 1, owned and gave away the UD Naked 2, and also own the original LORAC Pro palette, as a background.

For the price (5), the Iconic 3 palette has a better value to performance ratio than Urban Decay. That being said, I would not say the textures are across the board good - several of the glittery shades felt gritty to me, and had some fallout. From what I hear on the boards, they are still *superior* to the original UD Naked3 palette, but just judged on their own merits, I would not call the texture "good" - simply "decent" - even for a drugstore brand. The more finely milled shimmers, all but the lightest of the mattes, and in general the darker colours in the palette, perform much better and are smooth and easy to use, not too hard, and not too soft. The shadows do apply wonderfully over a primer (I use WnW Fergie), but they lose a bit of their intensity over the course of the day (maybe 5 or more hours? I never timed it exactly.) I can't complain about that for the price, though.

Compared to MUR's own Iconic Pro 2 palette, the textures of the Iconic 3 palette are definitely not as good, particularly in the intensity and performance of the matte shades. That's not to say they're bad, but if you "had" to make a choice between their 5 palette and their 10 palette, the quality definitely shines though on the "more expensive" palette. But who are we kidding here. For these prices, you can get almost their entire range and still not reach the price of a single Urban Decay or LORAC palette.

Specifically on the colour range, and I suppose this could also apply to UD Naked 3 or any of the various dupes out there - I took two points off because I feel the colour composition lacks enough contrast to create more than a just a few similar looks for my NC25 skin. This was not the case with the Naked 1 & 2 palettes, so it really is a critique of the colour choices in the palette. For those looking for an alternative and not hung up on the idea of duping the N3, I believe the Iconic Dreams palette has a similar selection of rose mauves, while also packing in a wider variety of olives and warmer shades in as well. It's the same price and something I wish I had gotten instead of the Iconic 3, to be honest, as it condenses the many "same" shades in Iconic 3 into just one half of the Dreams palette. I did put one point back on because for the price, I can't really complain about lack of variety, AND it is a straight up Urban Decay dupe, not an original composition of MUR artists.

For those concerned about ingredient quality, the company is based in the UK, but the palettes are produced in China, hence why they are so cheap. COSDNA doesn't raise any red flags on the ingredient list, but like any budget brand, YMMV - as another reviewer said, test these carefully first before you buy the whole kit and kaboodle. If they do happen to work for you, however, these shadows are a steal.

NB: For you streamliners and depotters out there, the packaging of this is actually quite good. I know some people find it cheap, but I find it efficient - for me no mirror is a bonus, it saves on cost and I never use those anyway. The clear plastic top lets you immediately see what colours you have, the plain black plastic housing is thin and not gaudy, and the shadows are efficiently packed with no wasted space. You could depot these, but you don't have to because the packaging is smart. I only wish they didn't even bother to include the brush slot, personally. :P

on 10/13/2014 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Bought four Makeup Revolution palettes now and they are absolutely amazing! I gave away my Urban Decay Naked palette as I really wasn't impressed with it, I certainly won't be giving these beauties away. The pigmentation is to die for, colours are gorgeous, packaging classy and prices are unbelievable! If you do one thing this week, buy a Makeup Revolution palette.

on 2/2/2015 1:31:00 PM

I purchased a total of 5 eye shadow palettes from Makeup Revolution over the last year and I was astounded at the quality for such an affordable price. I purchased the Iconic 3 (dupe for Naked 3), Colour Chaos, Flawless neutrals, Go! palette, and the I Heart Chocolate palette (dupe for Too Faced Chocolate palette). Most of the palettes included a nice sized mirror and the colors were gorgeous and pigmented. The I Heart Chocolate palette is absolutely incredible! For someone looking to grow their eye shadow collection at an affordable price, these are a great way to go. HOWEVER, during the last year, my eyes would randomly swell up, turn red, itch, sting, and water. I use a lot of different makeup/skincare products, so it took me some time to narrow it down to a certain product/products that were causing the reaction. Every single time I used one of these palettes, my eyes would react in some way. Sometimes it was mild, sometimes it was severe. These are the only eye shadow palettes I own that cause this reaction. I am so bummed because I really do love them, but it is not worth the misery of having eyes that are almost swollen shut! I just wanted to warn anyone else out there that this happened to me. I would suggest maybe ordering only one palette to see if you have a reaction and go from there. This makes me wonder if there is maybe an ingredient used in the UK that's not used in the States that is causing my eyes to react... Hmmm...