Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.3

on 9/8/2006 10:21:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Beautiful fragrance. The kind of luxury that you like to keep for yourself. A bit like silk pyjamas to me.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

One of my favourite Guerlains. It is a great woody fragrance, very elegant. It is so nice to wear it in fall and winter.

on 6/28/2006 8:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is not a happy, uplifting, energizing fragrance, and I probably won't ever get it. I wouldn't know how to wear it, where to wear it. I gave it 5 lippies because I feel kind of the same about it as I feel about the second movement of Beethoven's 7th, a piece of music I always felt evokes emotions more complex, better maybe, than mere happiness. It's mysterious, spiritual maybe; a misty, still fog that wraps around you instead of an unrelenting sunshine that beats down on you. (OK, I know someone out there is laughing at this.) But tuff. Some people don't get it; there are other things about us that can be celebrated beside energy, happiness, sweetness, prettiness, sexiness, and all that. We're so conditioned to be all of the above too. Vol de Nuit brings in something altogether different from those more socially acceptable traits; it's just so complex, unique, and interesting.

on 7/2/2006 1:10:00 PM

Cerebral and velvety. Taupe velvet, to be precise.

One-of-a-kind perfume. Nothing compares to this unbelievable fragrance. Extremely resinous wood. Volatile vapors evaporate on contact. Citrus and perfectly selected florals begin to sing in the background. Upon warming to the skin, the clean wood offers an increasing amount of smooth, powdery iris, sweetened only by spices that are so well-matched to this dynamic, straightforward fragrance that it is impossible to identify any single one. Breathe it in. It lifts you up. Aptly named for flight, with an unerring sense of direction. A complete absence of anything cute or cloying comes from this bottle, only strength, light, and clarity. Thank goodness Guerlain still makes it. I wish very much that the parfum were readily available.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Strict, strong, confident, assertive and mature. Very noble scent, like a cold glance, a slap on the cheek with a leather glove, a sharp remark, a wise advice, a pencil skirt, black heels and a starched white shirt with an art deco broach. This Madame requires a certain kind of owner, someone I am not but perhaps will be in the future. I love smelling it on my skin as it takes me back to my grandmas home furnished with antiques and filled with African violets, but I just cant wear it. For now this is a little too magisterial for me.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I got my first bottle of Vol de Nuit 15 years ago on holiday in France.
Although I was just 15, I loved ladylike scents...I had quite a collection...even then. My mother bought me this from a delightful little parfumerie in Vichy.
Now, everytime I wear Vol de Nuit, I'm transported back to this wonderful summer holiday. To me, Vol de Nuit and Aprs L'onde are the most wearable of all the Guerlains I own...

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

When i read reviews on this i thought that all the MUAr's were going mad, due to all the poetry, but when i received a sample of this from ebay i understood why. This scent reminds me of some woman my grandmother new, and i always admired how she smelled and how classy she was. Lovely scent.

on 6/20/2006 10:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm reviewing the extrait (parfum). I tried it half a year ago at a Guerlain workshop and wanted to have a bottle ever since. Well, I got it! But at first spritz, the scent appears much stronger than I remembered - perhaps I then tried the EDT? The start reminds me of Cartier Baiser du Dragon, which I find too masculine. Luckily, Vol de Nuit makes an interesting change from sharp to spicy to finally a vanilla/warm/soft/cozy close to the skin scent. Very classic, very grown up. I'll use my precious perfume for those special 'dramatic' occasions, like the Ballet (La Bayadere this year!) or the Opera (Madame Butterfly - my favorite, in spring 2007, yes!).

on 4/13/2006 7:49:00 PM

Vol de Nuit was a deeply disappointing experience for me, unfortunately. On my skin it's a rather unremarkable and musty mix of powder, soap, some leather, and iris. No vanilla, no spices, no magic. Some people describe this as having strong animalic undertones, but I simply could not smell them! It was very thin, quiet, and yes, dusty. Hesperedic Notes, Narcissus, Galbanum, Oakmoss, Green notes, Wood, Iris, Vanilla, Spices.

Popular Fragrances