Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.5

This is my first high-end palette and I loved it! The pigmentation of the shadows are good and can be blended easily without getting muddy. The colours choices also match really well and the palette is really versatile allowing me to create a variety of daytime and night-time looks (including matte looks) even when I am really pale.

Strawberry Bon Bon is too sheer and Candied Violet is not as pigmented or blendable like the others, making these two my least favourite with the latter hard to use (I use it to create a more smoky effect by layering it on at the outer V)

My favourite has to be Hazelnut, Haute Chocolate, Creme Brulee and Marzipan. Salted Caramel and Milk Chocolate are my favourite transition/contour shade which I used to define the crease area and the latter can be used to contour the sides of my nose.

The highlight shade is also great for the whole lid/ browbone highlight: I find Champagne Truffle to give a really nice highlight.

The shadows can easily last a day and I have no problems witth fallout (or overly fast fading) even without primer.

on 10/23/2016 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I had been lusting after this palette like forever and now I feel slightly let down. Sure, the packaging is terribly cute and the scent is divine. The mix of earthy and purple colors looks right up my alley but in reality isn't as versatile as I hoped.

First of all you do need to use a primer. And no, TFSI isn't enough so I use creamy ones like Paintpots or Color Tatoos to provide a more substantial base.

White Chocolate looks very similar to my favourite highlighter - Blanc Type by MAC. I was very excited to have a big pan of this color but pigmentation is laughable in comparison. Same with Strawberry Bon Bon. Champagne Truffle is pretty but I'd use such light and shimmery color only on the tear duct (not a fan of shimmery browbone highlighters here) Consequently I have to opt for another matte highlighter anyway and that takes some versatility points off.

Gilded Ganache needs a darker cream base or wet application or else it comes off as light shimmery gray instead of earthy golden green. Black Forest Truffle and Candied Violet have the same issue but look stunning applied wet! Especially the pink-blue sparkles in Candied Violet really show this way. That look makes quite a statement though so I don't use them for daytime although they are beautiful.

Amaretto, Cherry Cordial and Triple Fudge are really nice for darkening the outer corner but that's just a nice accent, not what makes a look.

Milk Chocolate, Semi-Sweet and Salted Caramel have good pigmentation. You can trust on them to find a suitable matte earthy crease color anytime so thumbs up!

Marzipan and Creme Brulee are the two I use on the lids for daytime on my fair skin, Hazelnut and Haute Chocolate can be used the same way but the overall effect will be deeper. That said if you're fair like me and don't opt for smokey looks each day you have basically only two lid colors left - more versatility points off.

Another issue I have is that they mostly need to be packed for the colors to show up true to the pan - here a 239 brush comes very handy - and since quite a few shades are close in terms of hue and depth when blended the result can be too homogenous. Still, all the looks I've created with this palette have turned out beautiful (the golden, purple and reddish undertones really compliment green eyes) but the effect is almost always on the hazy side. If you're a fan of smokey eyes you'll enjoy this palette a lot but if you're after crisp, vivid eyeshadow looks you'll find this palette hard to provide that.

To be fair though they stay put all day, fallout is minimal, shimmer/small glitter is tastefully done and haven't experienced any creasing.

In a nutshell Chocolate Bar is still a nice palette in my book and don't regret purchasing it but some shades are underwhelming and I find that it works better in conjunction with other eyeshadows than as a stand-alone palette for me.

on 10/3/2016 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This eyeshadow palette is all you need. Such a great collection of natural colors for everyone. Pigmented and smooth with out any fallout or glitter. A must have!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hands down my favourite eyeshadow palette for both natural looks, and dramatic looks. The colors are mainly warm to me, and I only need to lightly tap my brush a couple times to get enough product for my regular day to day eyeshadow look. (Which is in the middle of dramatic and natural). My skin is about an NC40 for reference and I apply a little concealer on my eyes beforehand.
Its the type of eyeshadow palrtte where no matter what look I do, I get compliments on my eyeshadow, and once when I did one of my favourite looks, a little girl at a wedding reception really liked them too! I thought that was awesome :)

The fallout in this is minimal for most shades, the color selection is nice for most skin tones and undertones from what ive seen, and I use the gold and the giant shimmer highlight pan as highlighter and its really intense.

The smell is awesome, it makes you hungry lol but it did fade for me after a while, but it took a while though.

Also, I feel like there's so many color combination options with this palette, if I had to do makeup on my best friend who has fair skin with cool undertones, I could easily pick out a few combinations for her eyes to either look girly and pretty, or smokey or even grungy, or I could do the same for my skin tone which is darker and warmer.

Oh, the only downside to this palette is that dang blue shade. Like what the heck. I can't figure out how to use it, but I'm going to try to layer a colored primer underneath and see what happens.

Also, the staying power is amazing. Looks just the same hours and hours later.

Also...You need to be careful with the shimmer as I tend to apply too much (3 coats?) And later on realize it looks too much and have to start wiping it off, and I haven't noticed that 'strength' of shimmer in other palettes, so just a heads up.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Well, if I'd ran out of it, I'd buy it again, but I don't think it will ever be empty.
Now, let's talk about it, shall we?
I wasn't going to write a review on this, as everyone knows how awesome it is, but something AMAZING happened earlier and I felt like I need to do this. It fell off my counter, wide open and hit the floor so bad, I thought I had a mini heart attack when I saw it on the floor... then I picked it up praying it was ok, and let me tell you, it was LIKE NEW. Nothing happened, no cracked mirror, no ruined eyeshadow, no cracks in the box, NOTHING. That moment I realised I made a very good choice when I bought it. The shades are beautiful, very long lasting and very pigmented. I love it even more now. I think is a good investition. I liked all the Too Faced products, with one exception - a mascara that was horrible, but other than that, it is worth the money although it is on the pricey side.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

My current favorite palettes of the moment are this and Chocolate Bon Bons, which has some similar shades but overall they are a different experience, and this Chocolate Bar runs more brown.
The colors in this palette are GORGEOUS, pigmented, smooth, so on and so forth. The mattes and the shimmers are both creamy and long-wearing. Before these palettes, I would occasionally run into a not-so-pigmented shade or two in my Too Faced palettes, but they've really perfected their craft and these palettes are worth every penny, and then some.
There are two browbone shades in larger pans, White Chocolate (pale cream matte shade), and Champagne Truffle, a shimmery pale icy pink. Both are beautiful but I prefer a shimmer on my browbone, so I mostly use Champagne Truffle for that and White Chocolate on the lid as a base color.
Salted Caramel and Milk Chocolate are perfect medium-toned matte transition colors; the former being warm terra cotta colored, the latter a cooler brown. Both blend very well and get a lot of use in my day-to-day makeup looks. There is also a darker matte shade, Semi-Sweet, great for corners when rounding out a matte eye look.
A nice strawberry-milk colored pink (Strawberry Bon Bon), two shimmery pale and medium golds (Marzipan and Creme Brûlée), some warmer red toned (Amaretto and Cherry Cordial- the latter being my favorite dark shade), and some other dark shimmers (Hazelnut, Black Truffle, Haute Chocolate, Black Forest Truffle, Triple Fudge, Candied Violet- indigo blue/purple, and Gilded Ganache- gold/green) complete the assortment. There is a favorite color or two here for everyone; I have a hard time choosing, but Champagne Truffle, Marzipan, Salted Caramel and Cherry Cordial are some stand outs so far.
These colors are great for creating a multitude of both matte and shimmery looks, but generally I like to mix them and really throw in as many colors as I can to make everything blend really seamlessly. It is not a loud, in-your-face color selection but then again those kinds of palettes never really call my name or look right on me, even if they're good quality shadows. This is a palette for the everyday woman who prefers natural, romantic or softer smoky eyes for day or night.
The packaging really is adorable and looks great displayed. It smells divine. I've said it before and I'll say it again- Too Faced's packaging might be what drew me in, but the quality is what keeps me buying, and now I will be a fan for life.
The price ($49) is obviously higher than your run-of-the-mill drugstore palette, but those aren't offering the quantity and (generally) quality of the eyeshadows presented here, nor the unique packaging. IMO, it is worth every dollar and I hope they never discontinue this because I need it in my life!

on 9/20/2016 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This palette smells divine. Honestly, sometimes I pick it up and open it for no reason other than to smell it- it just smells soooo good, and of course the packaging is super cute, although it could be a little sturdier in my opinion. The eyeshadow range in this palette is pretty much perfect to me- a good mixture of shimmer and matte shades, plus mostly neutrals, with a few pops of colour that aren't over the top at all and great for those of us who are a little afraid of using bright colours. The pigmentation is also brilliant! This palette is pricey but in my opinion worth the money- a lovely palette to have in your makeup collection, plus it was the first high end eyeshadow palette I got so that makes it extra special to me. Highly recommended!

on 8/28/2016 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

The Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette introduced me to the highend side of makeup. Endlessly trying to find a good eye-shadow palette at the drugstore/pharmacy proved fruitless, so I thought I should finally take the plunge and buy the Too Faced one. I didn't regret it...but it started me looking into the performance of higher end products, to the dismay of my pockets.

Since then I have owned many palettes but I am definitely pulled to this palette and it's not just because of the chocolate scent.

The colours are easy everyday wear shades which are even easier to apply with minimum fallout.

I used to think applying eye-shadow was an art, but the shades and blend-ability of these are what makes this a dream. The colours last all day with a primer (Elf) and don't look muddy when blended into one another.

The powders have never irritated my skin or eyes and they are smooth to touch. The metallic shades area just as beautiful as the mattes and complement each other.

I really do love this palette and all of the Too Faced line.

on 8/28/2016 4:49:00 AM

I`ve bought this a few months ago and I was waiting to try all the shadows and play with different looks before I could write a fair review. A few years ago I was trying to decide between this and the Naked UD palette. The SA in Bangkok was pushing really heavily for the UD and did a bunch of looks on me to convince me into buying it. So I got the UD Naked out of politeness and also because the golden smokey eye she did was great. But truth be told, I use only a few of the shades from UD because there is too much glitter and I just need simple, more sophisticated looks. I should`ve gotten the Too Faced Chocolate Bar! I love the matte shades in this one so much and it`s so easy to use in the morning when I am rushing. Also there is more variety in the darker smoky shades to create more diverse looks than with UD. The violets, the greens, the browns in this one are so much prettier and less garish than the UD palette. Would I repurchase? Probably not, but just because I go slowly through my palettes and they seem to last me a good while.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I love love love this palette. It's great for beginners and makeup gurus! It's such a versatile palette with nice cool and warm colours. There are 6 mattes and 10 shimmers and they're all pigmented. I love how it's cocoa infused and has a slight sweet chocolate smell!
The only thing I would suggest being careful of is the shimmers. They tend to fall out a bit in the actual palette and on the eyes. I suggest you pat your shadows down a little bit. As for when you're working in the pan, be gentle and careful. I can't complain about the mattes. They're smooth, creamy and easy to work with.
As for the packaging, it's so cute! I love how it's literally like a chocolate bar. I love how the inside has a mirror and the lid gently closes because of the magnet.
Overall, this is my all time favourite eyeshadow palette.