Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

4.1

on 10/31/2016 11:01:00 AM

I just finished my EL foundation, and I must say that I loved it. It offers good coverage and it transfer resistant (Hooray). I didn't get any breakouts and that's saying something since my skin is highly reactive.

It's runny, watery, but highly pigmented. It dries matte and helps control sebum. Overall, I think this is an amazing product. I do have a couple of dislikes which is its lack of pump, and it costs a pretty penny, that I honestly rather keep than spend on something I rinse off at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong, I think this is one of the best high-end-ish foundations I have tried. I just think that there maybe dupes for this that would have an itsy bit less of the double wear's effectivity, but my pretty pennies can be spent on something less... uh... vain? :P Not that being vain is bad or shizz, I'm pretty vain.

on 10/21/2016 8:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Got it tried it hated it, a year later thought I'd try again, got it tried it hated it. So I gave two bottles away. I still need to use a concealer with this and I see absolutely no point in having SPF 10. Also shows all my pores. Bye

on 10/19/2016 1:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

One of my favourite full coverage foundations. It lasts throughout the day on oily skin.
The large shade range makes it easy to have a perfect match, which is really key with a full coverage foundation to not look cakey and unnatural.
My only complaint is that the packaging can make it difficult to get all the product out once you get closer to the bottom.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

If I ran out or lost, I'm not sure whether to repurchase or not. Well, I kinda like the wide color selections they have. I find it extremely difficult to find a good base that matches my skin tone. I love how it stays on my skin and I love the fact it is not breaking me out, long wearing, controls oil and non-transfer. What I hate about this foundation, it feels thick, heavy (and sometimes it feels cakey) but that's not the main concern - I can tolerate by adding some EL Advanced Night Repair or apply using damped beauty blender or something, the most disaster is my pore is INSANELY VISIBLE even though I had my primer on before the foundation. I don't know. Think I wanna give the Double Wear Light, a try.

on 10/5/2016 9:04:00 AM

Used this year s ago and came back to it. Wears great on my mature, but oily skin. It lasts through hot flashes. I finally got a color match in Pure Beige. I am nw20 in MAC. The MAC pump works perfect with it. The key is to not use too much and to build up in areas where you need more coverage

There's a lot of mixed reviews about this product. But I think it boils down to what you expect from it. For me, I got this product because I wanted it's staying power. It did not disappoint. My equatorial climate means I'm sweating the moment I leave any air conditioned room so my makeup barely lasts half a day. With this foundation, my makeup is still intact after 10hrs with sweat & oil! But of course with this kind of staying power, it definitely does not look my-skin-but-better kind of natural but it's good enough for me. Trick for it not to cake is really to build it little bit at a time. I put tiny dots of it over my face and buff out with a kabuki flat top brush. Then I add more tiny dots on only my freckles where I need a bit more coverage. And on days I want it lighter, I mix a tiny dollop of foundation with my tinted moisturizer. My makeup still lasted 8 hours beautifully :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Pros.: full coverage; no sent.

Cons.: mask feeling; clings to dry areas; expensive; messy and wasteful; hard to remove; difficult to blend; oxidises on skin afters hours of wear.

This foundation must have glue in it, that is how hard it sticks to your skin. But this is not even the worst part...I understand there is no miracle product, but you would think that for the price and brand they could have done better. True, it covers imperfections, but it also highlights them. It's like whiting off the handwriting on a piece of paper - you don't see what's under, but you see the white stuff and the fact that something was covered..same here. Plus it is such an awful awful packaging...the foundation is very runny and the bottle is wide..when using your fingers it runs through them and when pouring it on a tray...you are left with extra each time. You can use it if you spend long time figuring out which brush to use, how to prep your skin, with what to remove it, etc. But shouldn't a high end product be more user friendly and frustration free?!

Update:
I tried applying it with many different brushes and the result was a mask. The most natural look was achieved with a beauty blender. Also, it is a drying foundation and I have to use double the moisturizer I used before. It doesn't break me out, but...I noticed itchy redness in the folds of the nose which is I believe can be caused by the foundation since I haven't changed anything in my routine. My skin looks good in the pictures and the product has unreal shine control (no shine at all after all day wear) so I can change to 2 stars, but still won't buy again.

on 9/14/2016 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Fabulous. If you moisturize enough, it will look like your natural skin. (I'm oily and this doesn't affect the staying power on me!) Barely needs setting powder. Even in the sunlight, looks so natural. If it's too heavy for you, or you need to layer it, I suggest a stippling brush, or use a sponge on the areas you where you need lighter coverage. Took a bit of trial and error.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I love this foundation. I have oily/combination skin with yellow undertones and I find that this is the only foundation that matches me accurately. I used to be Sand, but now I use Cashew and both colors matched me really well depending on how dark I have gotten. I don't need to use a setting powder for this foundation, and if I do; maybe just on my nose area where I tend to be oiliest for days that I intend to wear it for more than 12 hours. This foundation does not need touch ups. Once it's on your skin, it's pretty much cemented there. It's a medium to full coverage foundation and building it up is fuzz free because it does't cake or create texture. I use the estee lauder foundation brush with this or for days where I don't need that much coverage, I just use the F55 by sigma for a quick seamless finish. What I do is pour a little on my foundation plate (I swear not even the size of a penny to cove my face.) then I dot that all over and start blending. I do use a primer for this which is the smash box photofinish primer which is also good. Then I top my nose off with Laura Mercier setting powder for really long days and I'm good to go.

Pros:
Longevity
Coverage
Shade Selection
No strong fragrance

Cons:
no pump
hard to remove

I swear, the only way to remove this is by using oil then a cleanser. Btw I live in a very humid and hot climate location right now and so far, this foundation cannot be replaced for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Definitely one of my top 3 foundations of all time. I didn't give it a perfect 5 star rating because I don't use it by itself anymore, I always mix it with either one of my other 2 favorites (Lancome Tient Idole Ultra 24hr or L'oreal Infallible Pro Matte). I used to use this foundation by itself in the old formula years ago but my needs and preferences in foundation have since changed and this doesn't quite fit the bill on its own anymore. But when mixed, the combo becomes holy grail for me.

For reference, I have mostly oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin but can have some dry patches here and there.
All the info down below is based on the foundation by itself, not mixed and applied with a flat top brush (Sigma F80).

--Texture & Application--
Not very thick, a little runny but it's not too thin either. You don't need much, a little goes a long way and it blends in very smoothly and very easily. I don't find it dries too quickly but that depends on your skin and it's still best to work in sections.
--Coverage & Finish--
High medium/medium-full coverage depending on your skin but it definitely can be built up to complete full coverage (it's best to build up in thin layers - careful not to build up too much or it can go cakey). The finish isn't too matte, it's more of a natural matte or demi-matte. I feel this foundation can work for almost all skin types, including dry depending on how you prep beforehand. I find it to not settle in pores or lines for me and it looks overall very smooth and flawless. It takes a couple minutes for it to set completely on me and a smidgen of slight tackiness still remains so in my opinion, it doesn't dry down to a powder finish and it's best set with a light powder. It doesn't tend to look cakey on me but it's not a super natural foundation. Though because it's not too matte, it doesn't look overly unnatural either. Out of all 3 of my favorites, this is the most forgiving in terms of dryness. It's not quite as apt to clinging onto things as much as the other two can. Really pretty finish.
--Feel & Wear--
It's not the most lightweight foundation (not as lightweight as the Lancome or L'oreal), I can sorta feel it on but neither is it too heavy. It wears really well, the current longest wearing foundation out of my 3 favorites. Sadly, it's not as long wearing as the original formula though. It wears well in heat, humidity, sweat and water. I could wear it for a full 24 hours if I wanted (though it probably wouldn't look very good). Oddly enough, it's oil control though, is not quite as good as the Lancome or the L'oreal - probably due to it not being completely matte. It still has good oil control but not the best I've come across. I don't find it to dry my skin out at all either.

Overall, I love this foundation and it's worth the money. I notice a huge difference in the way my skin looks with this foundation vs a lot of cheaper foundations, it just looks way better. The color selection is also very nice and the undertones it comes in matches my skin tone perfectly which can be hard to find for me. But seriously Estee Lauder..you're going to increase the price from $34- $38 in just a matter of a couple years and still not put a pump on it?? Please, please..just put a damn pump on it, please.