Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

4.1

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I purchased this as all of the foundations I have previously used have worn off by around 3pm, and I had heard great things about its staying power. Unfortunately it was so patchy on my skin by the afternoon, and clung to any dry bits that I still had to reapply later in the day. I also found it too thick, and resorted to mixing it with my moisturiser as the coverage was too intense and made me look like I'd piled it on.

on 4/4/2017 8:02:00 PM

I wish I had something nice to say about this foundation, but unfortunately I don't. After hearing many great reviews, I thought this foundation would live up to it's expectations, but this was not the case.
Firstly, I got colour matched at an Esteé Lauder counter and while the foundation seemed to be a good match (Cool Bone) after a few hours of wearing, this foundation turns a horrid shade of orange on me and no amount of blending can hide the fact even the most the most pale foundation colour in the Double Wear range for my NC10 skin is far too orange.
Secondly, the formula is too thick. It has the consistency and smell of paint. Since the bottle does not have a pump you have to pour it onto the back of your hand which often results in pouring too much due to the poor functionality of the bottle and wasting a lot of product. Since this product is thick as paint you have to work quickly. If the foundation sits too long it WILL set.
Thirdly, rather than covering imperfections, this foundation will accentuate them! I use a primer, setting powder and setting spray and I have tested this foundation with and without some of those products to see what was causing the problem and it all still fell back on the foundation. I have also tried applying this foundation with a sponge, stippling brush, flat foundation brush, buffing brush and fingers and I still end up getting the same crappy result. Even straight after applying this foundation looks horrid. Rather than covering pores, this foundation will set around them making them look even more prominent. I'm only 18 and don't have any wrinkles yet, however this foundation settles in to fine lines and wrinkles I didn't even know I had! So if you would like to look 10 years older, I would recommend this foundation. This foundation is meant to be high coverage? It doesn't even cover pimples or dark circles, leaving me to have to purchase more high end products to try and cover them. Like most women, I have fine hairs on my face, this foundation clings to these fine hairs and makes me look like I have a furry face. Not a pretty look even after trying to blend it out!
Lastly, this foundation does not live up to it's "Stay-in-Place" claim. Even after 1.5 hour of wearing this foundation it will be patchy and flaking off my forehead and nose yet also make my combination skin turn into an oil slick? This foundation surprises me as it manages to be patchy, cakey AND make skin turn oily and shiny. Even using primer and moisturiser this foundation will leave your face looking like a choc chip cookie. I'm very thoughtful about not touching my nose while wearing makeup, however even after 1.5 hours of working this foundation it flakes off leaving me with a pale nose in comparison to the rest of my stark orange face. My forehead seems to bare the worst of this foundation as it flakes off turns cakey around eyebrows, nose and chin.
If there is anything to take away from this review, please do not purchase this product unless you enjoy wasting money on products that do the opposite of what they are supposed to. I wish I had something positive to say about this foundation, but unfortunately I don't. I keep using this product in hopes of one day achieving the flawless results everyone else raves about, and I also don't want to let my $50AUD go to waste however the poor design of the bottle does that for me.

on 4/3/2017 11:41:00 PM

~Things i love about product
Love this foundation its smooth!
Has full coverage.
Blends great with beauty blender and or foundation brush.
Love the bottle.
Money well spent

I tried many foundations and this is by far my favorite. I have to to say if you have oily skin this is not the foundation for you my sister has oily skin and she pats her face and the makeup came off.

on 3/28/2017 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm currently on the hunt for my holy grail foundation. Is this double wear foundation it? Well let's discuss a few things first. I have dry, sensitive skin and I was looking for a foundation that will stay on my face and not budge. Now this foundation has a medium to full coverage, depending on how much you apply, how you apply and how much you layer it. If you're looking for a more 'natural' look, using a sponge will help sheer it out. Keep in mind though, that this foundation is not for those who want that 'i'm not wearing any foundation look', because it will look like you're wearing makeup. The consistency is also runny and it will also oxidize slightly (whether this is a good or a bad thing is up to you, but it was a good thing for me because my colour was slight too light at the beginning).

Now I've also read a lot of reviews saying that this isn't for sensitive skin, or acne-prone skin because of its staying power. It claims to stay on for 24 hours, so you need to keep in mind that once this foundation is set, it is SET. So work in small areas. For all you dry skin people out there, I found that exfoliating the day before wearing this foundation also helps with the application and overall look of the foundation.

Nevertheless, I tried this foundation as a sample. I applied with both a brush and sponge and found that the sponge worked better (if you want a fuller coverage, go with a brush). I tend to go for a medium coverage with this foundation, and the finish is maybe a satin matte finish? Not dewy nor matte. I will say though, for all you dry skin people out there, make sure you moisturize your skin and exfoliate, because it can tend to look cakey around those dry areas. I also found that it caked my pores around my nose and creased in my smile lines.
Now for the fun part. I tested this in harsh conditions. I literally wore this for over 24 hours. (I do not recommend wearing makeup for more than 12 hours anyway), but I did. My day consisted of going to uni, then going out all night. I did do a check in around the 7 hour mark and found that my makeup was looking a bit cakey. Around the 12 hour mark, my makeup was cakey, and my dry patches were excentuated. (I wasnt shiny though) but my foundation was definitely separating around my nose. At the 24 hour mark, my foundation basically rubbed off around my cheek areas and just looked bad all over.
Of course, I don't do this regularly nor would i recommend others to do this, but i thought that this was the perfect foundation to test out, especially if it claims to stay on for 24 hours. Overall, I think it does a good job staying on for 12 hours. But 24 hours? no way. It also accentuates the texture of your skin, and apparently the bottle doesn't come with a pump.
Honestly, the best way to get a sense of whether this foundation is for you is to get a sample yourself. Some people with dry skin love this while others hate this. For me, I don't love it but I don't hate it either. I would probably wear this for days when I need heavy coverage, but the fact that this foundation also has SPF means that it's going to flash back, so I probably woudn't use this for events where I know there will be photos. I probably wouldn't wear this as an 'everyday' foundation either. Personally, it's best to get a sample because everyone has a different opinion and who knows, this might be the perfect foundation for you

on 3/10/2017 3:13:00 AM

When I was on vacation in Thailand, I went to Central Festival wich was like makeup heaven.
All the brands I can not buy in the Netherlands, and such a colour range which varied from very light to dark.
As I am extremely pale the Double wear is only sold in a shade too dark for me in the Netherlands, in Thailand I found 1w1 which is a great match. (comparable to Bourjois healthy mix in color 51)

First of all, the packaging.. There is no pump, only a big hole which makes it hard to get a small amount of product out of the bottle. The package looks chic but isn't usefull. Another thing I don't like is the smell. Like MAC, Estee Lauder Double wear got this same chemic smell. I know perfumes are no good to your skin but I love the way Bourjois Healthy mix smells like fruits. :)

The coverage of this foundation is extremely good, it is a thin liquid substance. Not a creamy formula more 'chalky'. I apply it with my beautyblender which give me a nice even finish. Not cakey at all, but it does emphasize the wrinkles around my eyes and when you use this foundation, don't forget to give your face a bit more dimension using a bronzer/blush, otherwise you'll look like a little porcelain doll :)

on 3/7/2017 9:21:00 AM

I have combination skin that is prone to breakouts. I bought this foundation based on all the great reviews. Unfortunately, it didn't go on evenly and believe me, I tried it on clean skin, on moisturiser and on primer. It was impossible to blend and the end result looked cakey and uneven. It just didn't work for me, IDK why :( Plus, after having tried it for a couple of days it seemed to dry out my skin.
I will stick to Lancome TIU and Clinique BB cream.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love that it covers beautifully and stays put all day, I also love the yellow undertone. However, I do find that it's a bit too obvious on the face, it leaves a bit of a powdery finish. So I mix this with a liquid highlighter and apply it with a damp beauty blender. This way the result is more natural but still allows for a high coverage.

I would advice to thoroughly cleanse the skin after wearing this foundation. After my initial purchase and after wearing this foundation undiluted and without primer for a few days I noticed some skin irritation. With a primer underneath this doesn't seem to happen.

Great foundation, will repurchase for long days when a perfect make-up look is required.

on 1/12/2017 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have use several high end foundations but kept regularly going back to Almay TLC. I have wanted to get away from Almay however because of the sunscreen in it. It sounds crazy, I know, but it seems to irritate my skin using it every single day and becomes slightly drying.

I wanted to find something with good coverage that is matte and non-drying. Almay is borderline TOO matte. This is the first nice thing about Double Wear is that it absorbs oil but not excessively. I usually wear neautral ivory/naked drug store foundations and ECRU 1N2 is a perfect match for me. I mean perfect - it doesn't even need to be blended into my neck really.

The coverage in my opinion is moderate - not full coverage unless you use a heavy hand or 2 layers. I touch up with a concealer if I have a bigger pimple.

Minus the hefty price tag and the face that it has no pump(ALMAY PUMP FITS THIS BY THE WAY - just cut down the pump straw), I'd say this is my new HG. It looks great, lasts, blends well, doesn't irritate, and feels nice on my face. They also have a great color selection if you tend to be more difficult to match/have a very neutral skin color like me.

on 1/11/2017 4:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I've used double wear for a while now and at first I LOVED it for it's amazing long-lasting coverage. However, it soon started sitting in my fine lines and seemed to dry before I could blend it properly with a brush. I definitely recommend a damp beauty blender to apply it and because it's so dry, I wouldn't use it without moisturiser and the right primer. I found velvety finish primers like Benefit POREfessional didn't work well with it, but that might just be my skin. I use the lightest warm tone - 1W1 Bone and it's a good match. The packaging is horrid, but I have repurchased and probably will again. Prefer not to use it for everyday foundation but it's perfect for a full glam look.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Love this foundation!! It is great for oily skin and even though I have acne prone skin, it has never broken me out. I have used it since 2014. It starts to look kinda worn off or melted in like 8-9 hours, but it's not bad in terms of staying power

It is a thicker consistency and should be used with a brush or sponge, as the fingers would look less natural