NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.7

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

So I bought this product because I needed something to bake with, and before I splurged on the Laura Mercier I wanted to try something more inexpensive. I've read reviews before that this was a great alternative to bake with! This was the worst idea ever.

First of all, it's hard to grab product with the beauty blender, I would dip and dip and nothing would hold onto the sponge. After dipping like a million times, I was finally in the process of baking my face. As the powder set on my face for 10 minutes, my skin automatically felt dry and tight, and I have oily skin so it was the worst feeling to have. And the worst part is trying to dust away the powder. It is the most DIFFICULT thing to do. It's almost like dusting away dried up chalk, and you're left with streaks of white powder. And don't get me started with taking pictures with flash....it was just an overall bad decision.

However, I tried it a second time but not for baking, instead I tried it just as a finishing powder and it did a better job that way but it was still too drying for my face.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I've been searching for a setting powder that doesn't irritate or breakout my skin so I picked this up at Target for $10 because I wanted to go talc-free this time, and this one seemed to have favorable reviews on here.

I was skeptical though, because this stuff only has one ingredient: silica (they have apparently cut out the parabens). I really wish I had followed my instincts cause this stuff does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me. Like literally, I see no difference whatsoever after i apply it. Even applying loads of it just leaves faint white smudges that rub in and disappear with no discernible effect. I can get the same finish by brushing a clean (makeup free) brush over my face.

Maybe my face is just too oily for this stuff to do anything to it? Or maybe i'm using it wrong? Is there some sort of secret to this stuff? If there is, it eludes me. I really want my $10 back...

on 5/5/2016 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Maybe they had a formula change? This powder is horrible. Idk what else to say it's just bad, it doesn't blend it's a very heavy white that just sits on your face, the consistency of literal baking soda.

on 5/1/2016 11:59:00 PM

It feels chalky and it's HORRIBLE WITH FLASH!!! You blend and blend but you can see where you added the powder as a PURE WHITE FLASHBACKS. It's horrible 10/10 DO NOT RECOMMEND

I absolutely adore this setting powder. It's my HG. This silica powder is the perfect consistency and has the power to transform the wear of BB creams and foundations that I need more wear and matteness out of. It's versatile, excellent texture, my sensitive, acne-prone skin is totally non-reactive to it and I just love how it feels and looks. A+!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I LOVE this finishing powder! I use a little under my eyes to cover concealer and a little on my nose and around it to prevent shine. It lasts all day! I have dry/combination skin and the only place I have shine is on my nose but this prevents it.

This stuff kinda sucks. It goes everywhere and it feels like I'm applying nothing. It's really hard to get on your brush or beauty blender (whatever you're using). I bought this hoping to be able to bake with it but i almost died from inhaling too much of it, so its a no go for me

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

i bought this on a 50% off sale because NYX is pretty expensive where i live,i think this product is so great to set your makeup,my makeup looks smooth and the bronzer blush applies smooth and natural!my contour looks good!i used the body shop honey bronzer and it appears 100000times more natural and good.and then i did a flash test and it gave me flashbacks.which is pretty disappointing.but for what it's worth i think it is best to use it when you're sure that you won't get your photos taken with flash on,so i think i'm going to be repurchasing this one.such a great product

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I'm super pale so the translucent shade doesn't give me a white cast, my skin is already like that...but this packaging was a complete nightmare for me. I would consider myself a relatively competent person but at the first unscrew after removing the sticker over the holes it exploded all over me, my bathroom counter, and my clothing. It's extremely fine and I was coughing up a lung over it. It got into the corkscrew of the lid as well so I couldn't tighten it all the way back down, each time I washed and dried the lid and sides off (pain in the butt, by the way) it would somehow creep back so powder would leak out onto my counter and makeup bag anyway. I taped over a bunch of the holes but it still POURS out. I'm not using that term lightly. I would repurchase only to leave the sticker over the holes from the beginning and maybe cut the sticker over one or two holes. And if that didn't work, I would probably smash something because this powder has inconvenienced me one too many times.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is in fact a wonderful product. I have extremely oily skin and enlarged pores and this powder works great after I use my Ester Lauder foundation. After I set my foundation with this powder I apply my translucent setting powder and that helps to erase the white cast. It absorbs excess oil for long periods and gives a soft finish Will definitely repurchase!