Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

4.1

on 11/21/2016 6:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a fantastic loose powder to set my make up. However, it does really chalky on my dry skin. Even on my dewy finish foundation. Yes it works wonderfully to hold up my makeup all day long, that's why I still using this product.

Pros:
- Great job to set up the foundations and under eye concealer
- Nice longevity without creasing
- Cheap
- Much product in a jar
- Quite fine-milled

Cons:
- Smells awful like grandma fragrance, but much stronger
- Look chalky and ghosty on dry skin
- The packaging is not good

All in all, the only pros are just the price and the good job on holding up my makeup as a product, which I love. However aside from that, I loathe the fragrance and the chalky feeling on my skin. And the packaging makes it quite hard to pick up the powder from the jar. Now I pull out the plastic cap inside the jar. But still, not working for me. It is a mess!
Will I buy it again? Guess I will try the high end product after :)

When I first bought into the hype and tried this powder, I absolutely hated it. It looked cakey over my foundation and clumped up around my forehead and nose no matter how I prepped my skin, what foundation I used, and how I applied the powder (baking, very light dusting, nada). I couldn't justify throwing it away with how much powder was left, so Airspun ended up being tossed to the back of my collection.

BUT THEN. I was looking for a powder foundation with medium coverage that I could wear on a daily basis with minimal touch ups. I decided to experiment and pulled out Airspun again, instead buffing it into my mostly bare skin (on top of moisturizer and concealer) with a round top kabuki. And it was love.

I have combination skin that's been on the oily side lately, and while I've been having issues with my face getting shiny a few hours later, this powder kept my skin matte and velvety all day--maybe even a little TOO matte (which is an error on my part; I could have benefited from the use of a highlighter). I have a few acne scars and discoloration, and while they were not completely covered they were less noticeable and my skin looked nicer overall. Wearing it this way did not look cakey whatsoever, and it's nice to know it still serves a purpose for me. I have Translucent Extra Coverage, and its undertone is a little too neutral for my NC30 skin, but nothing that bothers me too much. My blush and bronzer went on smoothly on top of this, and I have no other complaints.

Bottom line: if baking or setting with Coty Airspun didn't work for you, try using it as a powder foundation!

This powder is just a really good powder for setting and highlighting if you know how to use it. Its the best setting powder you can get at any drugstore. The main ingredient is talc and there's a lot of it so it's very easy to over powder how ever you can mist it away with your favorite setting spray. I've used almost all the Shades my favorite is the luminous, naturally neutral and translucent. Honey beige and translucent extra coverage are very powdery looking for some reason. Anyway I loved this powder and use it almost everyday for 5 years.

on 9/25/2016 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Been using this powder for about a month now with no problems. I've stopped using foundation and press it over my moisturizer with spf. Wait a few then buff with a kabuki. Looks better than anything i've ever used. I'm 67 and this gives my face a flawless finish. Couldn't be happier to find that less is more. I don't mind the smell. At least the fragrance doesn't choke me like some perfumes people wear, ugh!!!

on 9/25/2016 3:57:00 PM

I swear by this stuff not only does it set incredibly well it's basically sweat proof amazing stuff despite the old women smell

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a very luxurious powder. There's a silver screen glamorous feel that goes along with using it. It does it's job as a powder and then some: it gives a soft look to your skin, and provides medium coverage; it decreases the visibility of scars and pockmarks. It can definitely hold its own when compared to department store powders. I truly enjoy using this powder, and it somewhat worries me that Coty has been steadily discontinuing colors; it'll be a sad day if I go to buy it and find out that the whole line had been discontinued. But, I will enjoy it while I can.
Edit: I just thought I would add a note on application: I came to this loose powder from pressed powder. When applying the pressed, I would swirl the puff in the powder and drag it across the foundation on my face. If you do that with Airspun, you'll have a terrible makeup finish; it will move your foundation around. *Pat* the powder filled fluffy puff all over your face, like you'd see in an old Hollywood film, and then gently push off excess with either the puff or a brush; and your finish will be smooth.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I heard some good things about this product on YouTube. I mainly purchased with the intent of using as a setting powder for under my eyes and maybe to control some shine in my t-zone. I purchased the regular version of this in translucent. I hear there's a sensitive skin formula, which I wish I would have seen at the store. I got mine at Wal-mart for around $7.00 USD with taxes. It does come with tons of product so I thought that was a very good price.

The product is very heavily scented. This has been on the market for many, many years and it sure smells like an old lady's perfume! It's very strong. I don't care for it, but it wears away after time. The powder itself is lovely and very finely milled. It does help set my make up well. My biggest gripe is that it broke me out. I have very sensitive skin so it's probably the fragrance that's in the product causing the irritation. I had to get rid of it. I would maybe buy the sensitive skin version in the future. Truth be told I prefer pressed powders way more. Less messy.

I fell for the "This is an amazing vintage product available at your local drugstore! It's a cult favorite among the women from the 1940's and 1950's. Oh and don't forget, it's vintage!" hype that someone started on YouTube with this powder. So I got excited and bought it because quite frankly I don't think translucent setting powder is worth spending $40 on... ( *cough* Laura Mercier.)
However, this is not an amazing translucent powder. If you have normal to dry skin I suggest you stay away from this because it will cause your complexion to look well... powdery and chalky.
I have the Translucent Extra Coverage because it was the only one on the shelf and maybe the Translucent version would be better but it is becoming increasingly hard to find. Anyways, this does not resemble the setting powders on the market nowadays that appear invisible (duh, it's from 1930). This sits on the surface of the skin making it apparent you're wearing powder and it has a whitish finish.

I'll keep this around to create an Edwardian era makeup look for Halloween but that's about it.

UPDATE 08/21: Alright y'all I decided to give this another go in a different color to see if anything is different. Ordered shade "Naturally Neutral" off Amazon for $10.75 and I must say the results are much better than Translucent Extra Coverage. Naturally Neutral has a fleshy nude tone and actually appears more translucent on my fair skin. I would say this one is more comparable to the higher end options. I still use sparingly to avoid a powdery face but this I will actually use to set my foundation.
Other shade options are Honey Beige, Rosey Beige, Sun Tan and Translucent (which looks even whiter than Translucent Extra Coverage).

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

The smell is something you have to get used too, but over all I love this product!

on 8/24/2016 8:52:00 AM

So I actually really like this stuff. The only thing was the smell the first time was so shocking. It's soooo strong like old lady perfume smell. But I've gotten used to it now. I've found that I had to get the balance right with this. The first time I used it it left my face pretty pale but now I've been using it to bake my highlighted spots and I really like the outcome. I'm a realy pale too but it made my highlighted areas stay and pop and look airbrushed. Would buy again if I ever run out because it's a ton in there.