E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.1

on 8/4/2016 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This was my first loose setting powder, and I was really unimpressed with it. I have prominently yellow skin (I'm Asian) with a greenish, olive undertone and this powder just did not agree with my skin tone. The flash back in photos are absolutely horrible enough, but even under natural day light, I could STILL see the white cast making me look so ghastly greyish and sick. It's a very smooth, mattifying powder, but the initial matte effect doesn't last long. I live in a humid, hot subtropical weather, and this kept my makeup on, but I still produced oil profusely. The jar is really really nice, it's a secure plastic jar, comes with a good sifter and a very quality powder puff; alas, it's too bulky and not something I can just toss in my bag and carry around for touch up. Not to mention, whenever I got under the sun, the dreaded white cast would show up. I also gradually figured out that my skin was more dehydrated than I thought, this powder doesn't absorb oil that well but it just sucked every last bot of moisture off of my skin, I was just not happy with it in any way. I couldn't stand it any more, so I passed it to another, moved on and never looked back.

on 8/2/2016 12:45:00 AM

This stuff worked so well and set my foundation in place! I have oily skin and this kept my makeup looking matte for about 6 hours, but then I needed to add more. The packaging is alright, I don't use the applicator is comes with because it seems cheap so I just use my beauty blender. Also very messy since you have to try and get the product out of the holes and not over everything else! Overall great for the price!

Worst product I've used yet. It gives a decent finish, affordable price. But it gives a noticeable white cast, very chalky, way too much shimmer in it. The worst part was I broke out terribly from it, I usually get no breakouts, but when I do I get small pimples, but this gave me deep huge ones, I tried it a few times to make sure and it was definitely from this product. Then it gave me a horrible rash all over my entire face, I had to actually go to the doctor it was so bad. And I used nothing else besides this, so this was the cause. Be careful using this. I'm surprised because the eye powder is good, whatever is in this is very harsh and cheap so please be cautious.

I love this powder, but I prefer the banana one instead of the traslucent, because when I bake my face with it, it leaves just a little bit of whiteish color. Sets everything in one layer :)

on 6/24/2016 8:50:00 PM

This was the first loose powder I used to set my makeup. Its ok and you do get a lot of product for the price. It's decent but nothing spectacular. I've since started using coty airspun and think that gives me more of a flawless finish. I still have some elf powder left but probably won't use it up and would not repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have crazy oily skin and I use this with the Goss method (primer then powder then foundation) and it really keeps my oil under control! It does leave a white cast if you're not careful but my foundation is a smidgen too dark so I am not too fussed about it.

The packaging is awful so I listened to the other reviewers and only punctured a few holes through the sticker rather than remove the entire sticker.

on 5/24/2016 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

OhMGee!! I got the yellow powder today on the mail, I'm a fair skinned african american with red undertones, and this worked exactly like it said! I'm so pleased... Oily T-zone, i've worn it for a few hours now and my makeup still looks freah and matte.. I used the puff that came in the box, a little messy but I can deal.. No biggie, not to mention its totally affordable. This is my first setting powder, but I wil definitely repurchase! Love, love, love!!

on 5/23/2016 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Whatever is in this product, works better than I have tried so far for my shiny face. Love this. The fact that it's cheap, keeps me matte, and is also TALC-FREE (sensitive skin) - puts this at the top of my HG powder list. Like others have mentioned, they could put it in a different applicator. The container is horrid. However, I do like that it's sheer - with absolutely no color in the powder.

++++++++++++++++++++
Edit: still using this - and love it. Best sheer powder I've found so far that is talc-free. I love that it has no color to it (sheer) - I've found some translucent powders (like physicians formula) aren't really translucent, but make you tan or orangey. Love this stuff. Just to add - I dabbed some of this powder on at 9AM just after getting to work - and it is now 3:55PM -- summer - and I have not ONCE had to blot my skin for oil or greasiness, and I live in a humid, hot climate that normally, by the end of the day, I've usually had to blot my face a couple of times by the end of the day. This stuff works better than any non-shine powder I've seen (drugstore). Grab this stuff, gals. It also has not broke me out (talc-free), I've been using it for over a week. Also note, I have not worn anything on my face make-up-wise other than this powder (no foundation/bb cream), so I am not sure how the greasiness factor would hold up over something under it.

Edit: Coming back to add that I'm STILL using this powder almost every day - mostly at work or if I'm going out - and NO BREAKOUTS (I have super sensitive skin/cystic acne prone). I've been using it now since May - going onto my 4th month solid of using this with no issues. This is, by far, the best powder I've found that controls my shiny face while using a topical acne treatment (I use BP). Since it also is so fine - it does a great job of blurring my imperfections just enough that I don't wear foundation. I never wear foundation because it bothers my skin that much - but this stuff just is my go-to makeup product of all time. Shine free, finally.

on 5/2/2016 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I've been using this powder for about 5 years now. I'm very happy with it. Leaves a nice matte finish without emphasizing dry spots or fine lines.

on 5/15/2016 11:52:00 PM

First, this is really affordable. Also amazing at setting. It controls my oily skin. It makes my face flawless by itself or over foundation. Two problems is that it has terrible flashback on flash photos & the bulky packaging. Would I repurchase? Most likely no.