MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.3

on 10/17/2011 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I tried this because it seemed like a super neutral product: transparent, not made for one skin type, and it even claims to be invisible. It's pretty blatant that it's MAC's version of Make Up For Ever's HD powder as well: finely milled, lotta silica, transparent.

PRO: SUPER finely milled. I can't detect any "grains" in it, like those beads that disappear when you put your brush on them. The amount you get is pretty good too. So far it seems like it's lasting a long time. Only 3 ingredients. I like that it's loose because it transfers the easiest to any tool (brush, puff, etc). Loose powders are cheaper and easier to make which should reduce their cost as well. I quite like using this powder over moisturizer/sunscreen. I have dry skin but somehow all moisturizers give me a sheen, magnifying pores/lines/etc. This powder takes away the shine but in a completely transparent way, it doesn't look like there is anything on my face!

CONS: When I put it on top of foundation, it can make it look dull. The finish may be called "natural" matte, but is too much and looks dry/UNnatural instead. I use Studio Sculpt (a pretty dewy foundation) and after I put this on top of it, it is flat and lacking dimension. I also need to use more than I feel like I should to set things too. I don't pack it on, but I definitely need to go back for more for different sections.

OTHER: In pictures, I think this is "invisible" looking and truly transparent. The overly matte finish isn't totally noticeable then. But since humans don't work/live in places that can double as a photoshoot 24/7, how it looks in bad light is more important to me, and there it's too matte/dry looking. This powder also makes the skin feel dry, not a sucked out moisture way, but a "I put some powder on my face! See how dry and smooth it feels?" way. It just makes things feel "set". It only leaves a white cast if you use too much or don't press it in. It's a WHITE powder after all. Also, while the cornstarch may feed bacteria, how much can it really do that? Logically, it will be sitting over a layer of moisturizer or foundation, and it's washed off every day, so it's got a bit of things in it's way. I also really need to address the packaging, because it sounds a lot worse than it is in other reviews. Yes, sifter has a lot of holes so a lot can come out, but in my experience, I haven't had problems like that and I have them all uncovered. Just a couple taps and I get enough, not TONS. Also, the powder can easy go back below the sifter. Put the cap on and give it a tap. I like simple, minimal packaging and this is it. Cheap. One final thing, this stuff works as a primer too! Tried using it before foundation a couple times and interestingly enough, MAC lists this under primer, NOT powder, on their website, so there must be something to that after all. But it feels weird to put a liquid over a powder so I won't be experimenting with that any more.

OVERALL: I'm gonna try Maybelline Mineral Power Finishing Veil, Photoready's Translucent Powder, or MAC Careblend next. I don't want shine, but I like a little "glow" and P&P removes it. Too matte for my dry skin. And while it works good on bare skin, it is way too expensive to use it just for that. I'd say it's better for normal-slightly oily skin or those who use really dewy foundations and want to neutralize the the finish. Once it mixes with oils too, it will probably appear neutral and not matte anymore. A lot of the people who say it doesn't control oil that much, I think that is kinda on purpose, otherwise the finish may be less transparent.

on 6/7/2011 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was heartbroken because my favourite powder (the Blot loose) has become harder and harder to find (disc'd?).
I was going to repurchase MUFE HD silica powder, but on a whim I decided to try this P&P from MAC, in hopes it would come close to Blot...and I'm glad I did!
It looks totally translucent on me, melts in my skin and gives a great finish to my foundations. It seems to blur imperfections, and to keep me matte longer than I'd be otherwise.
I have nothing bad to say about this product, price is reasonable (wish the container was bigger like the loose Blot!), and it delivers.
I think it is better than MUFE HD in terms of oil control.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Bought this because of the reviews on MA. Love it. I used to use the MAC blot powder, but this is so much better. Didn't have to touch up once during the day; and I have more oil on my face than a Texas oil gusher. Very impressed; I will for sure buy this again.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I purchased this product to take on a trip to Florida and I have to admit that it is worth the money although pricey for the size. Word of advice tape the holes. It comes that way but once you pull back the adhesive paper it will still spill out. I took scotch tape and left only three holes open so there is not much loss at all when you open the cover. I know some people complained of acne due to cornstarch but so far so good. This stuff is magic and takes away all of the shine but be careful, too much will give you a dull ghost like hue and when I put it on I use a buffer brush to smooth it out. Wonderful stuff!

on 8/16/2010 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

There isn't much I can say about this product that previous reviewers haven't already written. It works well (my skin is freakishly oily); it can give a white cast to your face if you use too much--or if you don't blend/buff it in really, really well. It breaks me out whenever I wear it. I've tried a dusting just plain cornstarch (after discontinuing this), and it gave me lots of large painful pimples before the work-shift was over (each time I tried it), but my makeup stayed awesome looking. Next, I tried a dusting of just plain silica powder from CoastalScents--that worked great, and NO painful pimples. (cheaper, too) Am sticking with that (CoastalScents silica powder)! I would not buy this again, only because it breaks me out--but I didn't want to bring the ratings down for people who don't get break-outs from cornstarch. A super product, just not for me.

Update: I was cleaning out my makeup case, and was debating whether to keep this for special occassions or not. The Cornstarch in this breaks me out every time. But it keeps me looking great if I wear it out for special nights. The Coastal Scents Silica Powder is amazing too, though, w/o a day-after consequence...and when the CS is brushed over Maybelline Dream Matte powder, it's da BOMB!! Okay, am tossing it....well, will wash out the jar and keep it for future endevors. Thanks MU Alley!

on 5/28/2010 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Wow! Shopping at MAC for lip liner and SA said "hope you don't mind but your skin would so suit this powder" - should I have been offended?! I have really oily open pored skin with rosacea that I cover with EM Neutral MMU - it covers really well but does nothing for the open pores and oil does come through as the day goes on. Also, because I have to use a darker than usual colour to cover the redness, I tend to have a orange look to my skin which I hate. Anyway, SA starts dusting this white powder over me and I immediately said no, it will cake - can't put powder on 4 hours after putting foundation on - did not cake - looked amazing - the white powder took the orangy look away, oil gone, no cake (did I mention that?) and the best bit - open pores and fine lines seriously blurred - yes even the fine lines around my eyes - is this stuff for real? Decided to purchase on the spot (don't usually buy anything without checking on MUA first) so have been reassured by the good scores on here. Been using it now for 3 days and has not caused a rosacea or acne flare. Will update if it does - but so far - HG status for me.

on 5/23/2010 7:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

This is my HG powder at the moment and Im medium/olive skinned (NW35). When I bought it on an impulse, I never realised it would become a staple in my routine. I think Im going to have to buy one more for my make up bag and one for home. Even though the powder is bright white, I apply it quite heavily over my foundation, often doing one round of powder then another dusting just before I leave the house. I use it very generously. Yet the 'white cast' effect is only visible if you don't blend it in! And on me, it may be *slightly* visible at first if you are scrutinizing my skin in search of any unnatural whiteness. But once it sets into my skin (around 20 minutes later) and during the course of the day when my skin begins to produce a bit of oil it looks totally gorgeous and natural. The lovely thing about it is it definitely mattes the skin well, but once you get a little oil breakthrough, it's not like greasy looking, it just looks really nice.... better than when first applied.... a little dewy and glowy. I hate when some powders completely disintegrate once skin gets oily, to the point that the foundation is sliding off in patches. But this powder never does that. It keeps my foundation in place. And YES, a big YES, it definitely minimizes the look of my pores. And being really oily on my t-zone, I have some pretty large ones, especially around my nose. I can't think of any negative points with this powder. Im quite acne-prone and this doesn't seem to aggravate my mild acne at all. However, I guess the packaging is a bit annoying. I've dealt with it so far so it's not a big enough deal to rate the product down. What I don't like is that the container is quite small, I've bought loose powders in the past where the container is a lot BIGGER. Yeah this is more travel friendly, but it's annoyingly difficult to get a decent, even amount spread out for my large fluffy brush to pick up. I've got quite a big powder brush from Lancome, but I have to slant it in order to place it in the lid to pick up product. Because the powder doesn't pick up evenly over the brush head I have to manipulate the brush when Im buffing it over my face. I don't fancy tipping out the powder onto any surface either, I feel it's more sanitary the way it is. And yeah you have to keep some of the sifter holes covered because A LOT of product will fall out.

Also, because I use so much of the powder it seems to finish a lot quicker than I'd like. It doesn't work as good if you use minimal amounts of this powder, so you do have to use a lot more than you probably usually would. However, having said that, I've been using it for approx 2 months now on a daily basis and it's only just starting to run out although I could probably get another couple of weeks out of it. So it's not that bad actually.

In comparison to the MUFE HD powder, this wins hands down. I actually began to hate the MUFE powder because it did NOTHING for me! The moment I applied it, it would disappear instantly into my skin as if I never applied it in the first place. My pores looked just the same, my skin seemed to get oilier than before... ugh complete disaster. So expensive for nothing. Yes they are both very finely milled, but at least the MAC powder is still able to perform the basic functions of a powder. The MUFE was almost invisible, like dust in the air, and performed as such.

Also, as I have combo skin, I am quite dry around my jawline and cheeks but this has NEVER dried me out in those areas. I would highly recommend this. One of my top 3 make up products I use daily.

on 5/7/2010 6:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I LOVE THIS PRODUCT AND WOULD BE LOST WITHOUT IT! I don't even know how I wore makeup before I discovered this!

I use it even when I'm wearing no makeup (i.e. over moisturiser) because it seems to just blur my imperfections and makes me look nearly poreless.

But usually, I put this all over my finished face, particularly making sure to get my cheeks (to make the blush stay) and eyebrows (to make the shadow/liner there stay, as well as taking away that 'waxy' look from brow liners). It mattifies my face and makes my skin look amazing! It somehow gives this 'glow' without being shimmery at all, it's transparent!

The powder is sooooo finely milled and smooth and silky. I was told this was different to the Pro Set powder in that respect - that one, while in a larger jar, is not as finely milled. The Pro Set powder is more for oil control apparently, and this one is more for pore-refining.

It may be expensive, but I don't think I'll even be able to get through my jar - you only need a very little bit, and it sets your makeup beautifully. I use my Ecotools powder brush to apply this - the brush is so soft and this powder is silky, so together they're heavenly!

As for oil and shine control, this is pretty good. I still get a bit shiny after a few hours, but I think my forehead's just made that way so I've come to accept it, lol.

If you don't have this, I recommend you BUY IT! =)

on 5/6/2010 6:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

LOVE LOVE LOVE this product. It really is amazing. It really does make my makeup look flawless... I wear it over my select concealer (NC50) and MSF natural in dark and it looks great. I would recommend this to anyone. I spray a bit of fix plus over the top and I'm ready to go.
My only issue is the packaging; the number of times I've opened it and it's gone everywhere is ridiculous so Mac could improve on that. It is slightly pricey but I'm not surprised considering it is MAC, it is worth the price though. One of my makeup must haves. x

on 4/17/2010 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

I use it over Studio Fix Fluid, and it is like magic! I have oily skin and live in SoCal, so my makeup tended to migrate/disappear by the end of the day normally, even if I set it with powder. But this makes it stay all day, controls the oilies like nobody's business (WAY better for me than the Mac blot powder which I was using before), and makes some of my large pores disappear! Not to mention that using this to set my undereye concealer stops the hitherto unavoidable creasing under my eyes. I use an EcoTools bronzer brush to buff it in (it's a really soft, large dense brush almost like a kabuki). The only annoying part about it is the holes in the lid are large and I think I lose a bunch of powder whenever I open it - oh and it's expensive. But I don't need much, so it'll last a while. Some reviewers here talked about using it as a primer - I'll have to try that. If that works, this will definitely be an HG.