MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.3

on 2/1/2017 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is great and it doesnt break me out. However it is extremely expensive, u only get 9 grams. Laura mercier is 29 grams and it costs 400 sek, it is more affordable in the long run. HORRIBLE for pictures with flash, u look crazy white!

It is one of Mac products that doesn't disappoint me. I use this to finish my makeup, dusting lightly all over my face. It helps my makeup look flawless, especially in pictures.

However, always remember to dust this powder only as much as you need (more than that can be a disaster). This is a finishing powder, so when dusted too much it might leave white cast that will not be apparent in real person (but shows up in pictures, yikes!).

I do sometimes use this as my setting powder (and again, only VERY lightly dusted). I know people raved so much about Elf HD powder, but after using both products for a while, I dare to say this powder is still superior. Mac one is more finely milled compared to Elf (I could still find big powder particles from Elf which sometimes were left behind on my face).

If you can afford it, go with this powder.

on 1/30/2015 9:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Apart from the occasion where i'm throwing a tantrum, this is my favourite finishing powder. I have tried them all, every powder in the world you can name. I like my skin to look like my skin, i tend to put this over some concealer and that will be it for my base and it makes me look flawless and MATTE. Use too much and you will have a slight white cast, but as soon as the wind blows and an hour passes, it just looks like you woke up like this.

Over any foundation, it keeps it matte, much better than Vichy or anything else talc-based which always irritates my skin and makes my face red for some reason. Even in the rain this baby holds and so you don't get an embarrassing white streaked face (if you just use plain arrowroot or cornflour, this happens).

I have really sensitive, acne prone, oily/combination skin, and this doesn't irritate (no redness or spots) and keeps me shine free pretty much all day. It's expensive, but there's a ton always being sold on ebay for less, so if you're feeling uncomfortable for forking out for something you are unfamiliar with, just get one on there and you can always pass it on!

As for the packaging, can people get over it, powder does get everywhere no matter what. I've never had a packaging for a powder that has somehow magically contained all the powder within the base. Even with the posh twisty things in some of Bourjois, Smashbox etc.

Lastly, this is very different from the pressed version for some reason. The pressed irritated me and didn't mattify as well or for as long at all... so if you're going for one or the other, i would choose this one.

on 2/25/2014 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product is the same as using corn flour on a powder puff. The texture is horrible, it leaves white streaks everywhere, it is un-absorbing and dehydrating on the skin.
Unless your foundation is very wet when applied, I do not see how this product can properly work.

The packaging was not good either, even though I pierced through the plastic for the number of holes I wanted, too much always spilt out.

on 1/4/2012 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Holy smokes! Why haven't I purchased this sooner???????? I was on the hunt for a really good setting powder to set my foundation/concealer and I tried several diff kinds before MAC. I tried Chanel, Korres, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Covergirl, L'Oreal, etc you name it, i tried it. From cheap to expensive and everything in between. I went to my local MAC counter and just browsing I saw this on the display counter and asked the SA about it. She said it's the best for setting any makeup and i thought- yeah right. just like everyone else told me. Well, I decided to fork out the money -again- to see if it's really true. To my delight, I was really shocked to see how well it performed. It set my foundation and concealer perfectly and made my skin absolutely FLAWLESS! It covered all my large pores and made them literally disappear! The staying power was awesome and it lasted all day throughout the night til i took it off. A little goes a long way and I use this w/ a mac's flat large eyeshadow brush for the best coverage. I am so happy to find this and I will definitely will repurchase

on 10/17/2011 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I tried this because it seemed like a super neutral product: transparent, not made for one skin type, and it even claims to be invisible. It's pretty blatant that it's MAC's version of Make Up For Ever's HD powder as well: finely milled, lotta silica, transparent.

PRO: SUPER finely milled. I can't detect any "grains" in it, like those beads that disappear when you put your brush on them. The amount you get is pretty good too. So far it seems like it's lasting a long time. Only 3 ingredients. I like that it's loose because it transfers the easiest to any tool (brush, puff, etc). Loose powders are cheaper and easier to make which should reduce their cost as well. I quite like using this powder over moisturizer/sunscreen. I have dry skin but somehow all moisturizers give me a sheen, magnifying pores/lines/etc. This powder takes away the shine but in a completely transparent way, it doesn't look like there is anything on my face!

CONS: When I put it on top of foundation, it can make it look dull. The finish may be called "natural" matte, but is too much and looks dry/UNnatural instead. I use Studio Sculpt (a pretty dewy foundation) and after I put this on top of it, it is flat and lacking dimension. I also need to use more than I feel like I should to set things too. I don't pack it on, but I definitely need to go back for more for different sections.

OTHER: In pictures, I think this is "invisible" looking and truly transparent. The overly matte finish isn't totally noticeable then. But since humans don't work/live in places that can double as a photoshoot 24/7, how it looks in bad light is more important to me, and there it's too matte/dry looking. This powder also makes the skin feel dry, not a sucked out moisture way, but a "I put some powder on my face! See how dry and smooth it feels?" way. It just makes things feel "set". It only leaves a white cast if you use too much or don't press it in. It's a WHITE powder after all. Also, while the cornstarch may feed bacteria, how much can it really do that? Logically, it will be sitting over a layer of moisturizer or foundation, and it's washed off every day, so it's got a bit of things in it's way. I also really need to address the packaging, because it sounds a lot worse than it is in other reviews. Yes, sifter has a lot of holes so a lot can come out, but in my experience, I haven't had problems like that and I have them all uncovered. Just a couple taps and I get enough, not TONS. Also, the powder can easy go back below the sifter. Put the cap on and give it a tap. I like simple, minimal packaging and this is it. Cheap. One final thing, this stuff works as a primer too! Tried using it before foundation a couple times and interestingly enough, MAC lists this under primer, NOT powder, on their website, so there must be something to that after all. But it feels weird to put a liquid over a powder so I won't be experimenting with that any more.

OVERALL: I'm gonna try Maybelline Mineral Power Finishing Veil, Photoready's Translucent Powder, or MAC Careblend next. I don't want shine, but I like a little "glow" and P&P removes it. Too matte for my dry skin. And while it works good on bare skin, it is way too expensive to use it just for that. I'd say it's better for normal-slightly oily skin or those who use really dewy foundations and want to neutralize the the finish. Once it mixes with oils too, it will probably appear neutral and not matte anymore. A lot of the people who say it doesn't control oil that much, I think that is kinda on purpose, otherwise the finish may be less transparent.

on 6/7/2011 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was heartbroken because my favourite powder (the Blot loose) has become harder and harder to find (disc'd?).
I was going to repurchase MUFE HD silica powder, but on a whim I decided to try this P&P from MAC, in hopes it would come close to Blot...and I'm glad I did!
It looks totally translucent on me, melts in my skin and gives a great finish to my foundations. It seems to blur imperfections, and to keep me matte longer than I'd be otherwise.
I have nothing bad to say about this product, price is reasonable (wish the container was bigger like the loose Blot!), and it delivers.
I think it is better than MUFE HD in terms of oil control.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Bought this because of the reviews on MA. Love it. I used to use the MAC blot powder, but this is so much better. Didn't have to touch up once during the day; and I have more oil on my face than a Texas oil gusher. Very impressed; I will for sure buy this again.

on 5/28/2010 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Wow! Shopping at MAC for lip liner and SA said "hope you don't mind but your skin would so suit this powder" - should I have been offended?! I have really oily open pored skin with rosacea that I cover with EM Neutral MMU - it covers really well but does nothing for the open pores and oil does come through as the day goes on. Also, because I have to use a darker than usual colour to cover the redness, I tend to have a orange look to my skin which I hate. Anyway, SA starts dusting this white powder over me and I immediately said no, it will cake - can't put powder on 4 hours after putting foundation on - did not cake - looked amazing - the white powder took the orangy look away, oil gone, no cake (did I mention that?) and the best bit - open pores and fine lines seriously blurred - yes even the fine lines around my eyes - is this stuff for real? Decided to purchase on the spot (don't usually buy anything without checking on MUA first) so have been reassured by the good scores on here. Been using it now for 3 days and has not caused a rosacea or acne flare. Will update if it does - but so far - HG status for me.

on 5/23/2010 7:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

This is my HG powder at the moment and Im medium/olive skinned (NW35). When I bought it on an impulse, I never realised it would become a staple in my routine. I think Im going to have to buy one more for my make up bag and one for home. Even though the powder is bright white, I apply it quite heavily over my foundation, often doing one round of powder then another dusting just before I leave the house. I use it very generously. Yet the 'white cast' effect is only visible if you don't blend it in! And on me, it may be *slightly* visible at first if you are scrutinizing my skin in search of any unnatural whiteness. But once it sets into my skin (around 20 minutes later) and during the course of the day when my skin begins to produce a bit of oil it looks totally gorgeous and natural. The lovely thing about it is it definitely mattes the skin well, but once you get a little oil breakthrough, it's not like greasy looking, it just looks really nice.... better than when first applied.... a little dewy and glowy. I hate when some powders completely disintegrate once skin gets oily, to the point that the foundation is sliding off in patches. But this powder never does that. It keeps my foundation in place. And YES, a big YES, it definitely minimizes the look of my pores. And being really oily on my t-zone, I have some pretty large ones, especially around my nose. I can't think of any negative points with this powder. Im quite acne-prone and this doesn't seem to aggravate my mild acne at all. However, I guess the packaging is a bit annoying. I've dealt with it so far so it's not a big enough deal to rate the product down. What I don't like is that the container is quite small, I've bought loose powders in the past where the container is a lot BIGGER. Yeah this is more travel friendly, but it's annoyingly difficult to get a decent, even amount spread out for my large fluffy brush to pick up. I've got quite a big powder brush from Lancome, but I have to slant it in order to place it in the lid to pick up product. Because the powder doesn't pick up evenly over the brush head I have to manipulate the brush when Im buffing it over my face. I don't fancy tipping out the powder onto any surface either, I feel it's more sanitary the way it is. And yeah you have to keep some of the sifter holes covered because A LOT of product will fall out.

Also, because I use so much of the powder it seems to finish a lot quicker than I'd like. It doesn't work as good if you use minimal amounts of this powder, so you do have to use a lot more than you probably usually would. However, having said that, I've been using it for approx 2 months now on a daily basis and it's only just starting to run out although I could probably get another couple of weeks out of it. So it's not that bad actually.

In comparison to the MUFE HD powder, this wins hands down. I actually began to hate the MUFE powder because it did NOTHING for me! The moment I applied it, it would disappear instantly into my skin as if I never applied it in the first place. My pores looked just the same, my skin seemed to get oilier than before... ugh complete disaster. So expensive for nothing. Yes they are both very finely milled, but at least the MAC powder is still able to perform the basic functions of a powder. The MUFE was almost invisible, like dust in the air, and performed as such.

Also, as I have combo skin, I am quite dry around my jawline and cheeks but this has NEVER dried me out in those areas. I would highly recommend this. One of my top 3 make up products I use daily.