Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

I received this palette a few months ago after hearing all of the rave about it. When I initially opened it (it was packaged well, and no colors were broken), I was astounded by the beautiful colors and the fact that there were 88 of them!! I immediately swatched about 10 of the colors, and they were all nicely pigmented. I was so excited to use it!

And then I finally used it, and now I must say I am not nearly as impressed as when I first opened it and swatched the colors. I think one of the most annoying things about this palette is how soft the shadows are. The fallout is absolutely ridiculous with every color I've tried. It totally deters me from the palette every time I consider using it again. When I finally decide to give it another try with a color I haven't yet used, the same thing happens.

Also, they blend terribly. As soon as you begin to blend, the more you blend, the more the color falls out and fades.

The other thing I noticed was how chalky some of the colors are, which I'm sure contributes to the fallout and difficulty blending. It's like the entire time you're putting on the eyeshadow you're trying to play catch-up.

I had also heard that the four colors to the top left are great for highlights. Again, I'd have to disagree with this. From top to bottom of those four:
The one in the very top left is a creamy white that is one of the most chalky colors in the palette. It looks beautiful when you swatch it, but when you put it on, it looks so chunky and glittery that by the time you've blended it, you have shimmer all over your face.
The next one down has sort of a purple/pink sheen to it, it's not glittery at all (which is a good thing). I will admit I do occasionally turn to this color because it's not chalky and I like the purple-ish sheen.
The next two down follow the same way the first two do. The next is chalky and too shimmery (although a bit more yellow and not quite as bad as the first), and the next is like the second one I listed (with the same purle-ish sheen), but it's a bit more pink.

On a personal note, I do tend to like shimmers, but some of these colors seem straight up glittery, I feel like I'm 10 years old experimenting with Limited Too makeup.

Oh, and none of the pans have fallen out or broken for me.

I'm giving it 3 lippies for 3 reasons:
You really cannot beat the fact that you're getting 88 different colors. The benefit of this is if you're in need of one specific color you just can't find anywhere, or you're doing your makeup but wished you had a certain color right then.

The second reason is the price. $20 for 88 shadows makes them a little less than a quarter each. (They're exactly the size of a dime, by the way)

The last reason is it's good if you want to try and see what colors you find yourself using more frequently, and buy better quality colors that match. So it makes it a pretty good idea for someone just starting out in makeup. So say for example you think you'd wear a lot of purple eye shadow, so you run out and buy an $18 purple eye shadow that you realistically end up not using. With the palette, you can see if you actually find yourself going for the purples, or you may decide you don't really like using purple eye shadows.

So overall, I personally would not purchase this product again. However, it's not a bad staple palette to own for the cheap price and the amount of colors you get. It would also be a good idea for someone just starting in makeup.

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I've heard so much hype about this palette and how it's very comparable to Mac eyeshadows so I ordered it and was very happy when I recieved it. The packaging was great and nothing had broken during shipping, but as I tried on the eyeshadows I wasn't so happy anymore. Even with a primer the lighter colors hardly show up and it has a kind of chunky texture to it. There is way way too much fallout and my whole entire face ends up a shimmery mess afterwards so I always have to stick some tissue on my cheeks before I apply it. The darker colors are amazing and I love them, but there's still an issue with fallout. I also have somewhat sensitive skin and have found that when I use these eyeshadows the skin around my eyes becomes very itchy and causes my eyes to water and burn or it could just be the new brushes I bought thats irritating my skin. Overall the pigmentation is great on most of the colors except for the very light ones, but the fallout is horrible. It's not too comparable to Mac, but it gets the job done. If something happened to my palette I would buy another one just because the price is great, but I would definitely stick to my Mac and Urban Decay.

on 2/26/2010 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I Loved this product at first But i just got way to tired of all the shimmer So I sometimes use the colors If I want some shimmer so I just use one color from there and find some mattes to go along with it

This palette has many colors and it is fantastic if you are just beginning or only have certain colors and want to try many more. With that being said, for me...it is a bit of a waste!

on 10/20/2009 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I like this product, but I don't use it often. I have just fallen in love with matte colors, and shimmer just isn't doing it for me anymore. Not that I don't use this at all, it's just not something I reach for.

If you do like shimmer, however, this wouldn't disappoint you. This is a nice palette with a great range of color.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

this eyeshadows are pigmented but you have to wear a base bc they tend to fade quickly. i have had my palette for about 3-4 months and i have probably used it once. it is very sparkly and glittery. and very cheaply made. one of the shadows had fallen out when i recieved it. this palette would be great for a teen starting makeup or someone who is just starting with makeup bc it is affordable and you get lots of colors.

When I first got mine I was shocked by the pigmentation, well some of them I suppose. I didn't find myself using this palette often because the colours are so bright. There are browns in here but the shimmer/sheen overshines the pigmentation in it and when worn on the eye, looks cheap. As for the colours some of them aren't that pigmented especially the yellows which are very powdery to work with. The only times I do use it is when I'm missing a shade of green or pink but other than that, it just sits there. And the packaging is really bad, both screws came off already,

on 5/4/2009 7:35:00 PM

Definitely not a buy again, that should indicate something.
It is, for 20 dolalrs, the nicest, most pigmented palette you will get that actually reflects the color in the pan to a high extent! gasp. To own all the colors, it's a must buy for sure, and the 20 dollars won't set you back in the slightest.
Let's be clear though.
33% of the colors are velvety / hard.
The remaining have this horrid texture, like lustres from your worst nightmares. Gritty, chunky, and cannot get it out of the pan unless you physically scrape it with your fingernail, and fallout is KILLER. Blending is near impossible.
Still. The colors are nice. I mean. Damn, they're nice. Bright, colorful, everyone's favorite color will be here, and for that, more than worth it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This palette is great because I don't like to use a lot of colour and its great to have just in case I feel like doing something crazy. Its a great value for the money but I think if I had my time back I would have gotten the matte palette instead of the shimmer. Its almost a little too shimmery for my liking and I wear a lot of mattes. However, if you like shimmery eyeshadows....this pallet would be great for you! There is so many options and colour combinations! The pans are only the size of a dime but they last a really long time!

The biggest downfall for me was the quality. They are really pigmented but there is A LOT of fall out (even when I pat it on my eyelid). I didn't realize this until I started using high end eyeshadows that has little to no fall out. I used a gold from this for a look I was doing and I had to redo my concealer there was so much fall out.

This is great for beginners, or for people who wear a lot of neutrals but like to have some colour options in your collection. I said no to repurchase because I don't think I will ever get through this palette and the shimmer is to much for my age. I may use it on clients but I'm starting to increase my high end eyeshadow collection and I am liking the quality of those a lot more.

on 2/17/2009 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Hmm. I don't know if I like this palette or not. I just got it in the mail today from coastal scents. It took forever. It took four days until it even left the factory or where ever it comes from but I guess that's okay. I love all the colors in the palette. My only complaint is that it's a little powdery and I think it looks like cheap eyeshadow once applied to your eyes. I think it's excellent for someone that doesn't have a lot of makeup but I do. I don't think it's anywhere near MAC's quality as some people have mentioned. I would buy it again, I think, maybe!