4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 4/20/2016 1:52:00 PM

After my chemo was completed and had surgery, I decided to try the castor oil on my nonexistent eyelashes and eyebrows. It drove me crazy not having eyelashes and when I tried the false lashes, I glued my eyes shut! LOL! After I came home from the hospital, I would apply castor to my brow area and the rims of my eyes every morning and night. I was able to apply in the morning because I didn't where any makeup while recovering. Within a week, I kid you not, I could see the rims of my eyes darkening due to the tiny little lashes coming in. My brows came in a little slower but within a 3-4 week period I had a full set of normal length lashes. My brows filled in as well but I still had to use brow makeup. I even tried a little on my front scalp just to see and within a week, I could see the little hairs!

I originally bought the heritage store brand castor oil back in September with the intention of using it on my eyebrows for possible re growth. I don't know if it's necessarily helped re growth however I do find it works well as a conditioning treatment, I apply it on a pretty regular basis before bed and I've found that the hairs are less likely to fall out, appear "hydrated" which makes them shiny and fuller in appearance and are also less prone to being unruly. I've also used a very small amount of castor oil in place of eyebrow gel when in a pinch and I mix some in with sweet almond or avocodo oil for facial massages.

Castor oil is THICK. If you're wanting to use it on hair or skin I suggest mixing a small amount with a lighter oil so it's easier to wash out / so your skin doesn't drag when rubbing it in. All in all I'm happy with the product and will be repurchasing although I've hardly put a dent in my current bottle.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is the thickest oil I have ever used, and trust me - I've tried many. When I bought this I definitely did not expect that. Castor oil is VERY different from all of the other oils I've bought. That is likely due to it's high ricinoleic content. I don't recall any of the other oils in my collection contain ricinoleic. Ricinoleic is a fatty acid if any of you are unfamiliar. All of the fatty acids are hydrating.

Skincare is very your-mileage-may-vary. I haven't tried this as a regular nighttime moisturizer because the thick consistency scares my acne-prone skin. To be clear, I am NOT saying that castor oil breaks me out. More so I just want to be honest & admit I haven't applied it to my entire face. Update: *Unintentionally* used this as a facial moisturizer after a glob of it trickled down my face before i could blend it into my eye area. I woke up the next morning with pimples in that area so it's safe to say this does break me out as I feared. :( But if used only on my eye area, it's still awesome for me.

But thus far...here are the benefits I've noticed using castor oil:

-GREAT eye cream because it is so thick and emollient.

-Suitable replacement for silicone hair serums. I've always preferred silicones (vs oils) but this stuff really acts like a heavy duty silicone product. A little goes a lllooonnnggg way (it literally takes half a pea sized amount). The ends of my hair are super hydrated, shiny, and soft. Overtime I expect this to reduce split ends. There are a few sections of my hair that are fragile and dried out. Castor oil seems to be great at protecting them. Something I've noticed about castor oil is it seems to absorb fully into my hair. After about 10 minutes there is no residue coating. Traditionally coconut oil is the #1 oil to penetrate the hair shaft but I found castor to be MUCH more effective.

-Wonderful pre-shampoo treatment. Applying a dollop of this and then distributing it throughout my hair before showering has given me great results.

-Offers relief to chronic dry lips. This doesn't feel greasy on my lips and it stays put a lot more than other oils. Even so, I still follow up with chapstick to seal it in.

-Editing to add: One weird thing I love about this oil is how it makes my mascara look now. My lashes are much more conditioned despite me cleansing this off in the morning before make up. It helps my lashes look more lush and separated. But word of caution - this could potentially remove mascara the way oil cleansers remove make up. I use tubing mascara only so oil is not a threat. :)

As for hair growth... when I apply this to my eye area I always make sure to coat my brows and lashes. I can't say I've seen an improvement...yet. But I'm hopeful since that's the most common purpose that others buy castor oil for.

I will have to update.

on 3/26/2016 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

A little background info:
I have always had a lash obsession, and wasn't happy w/ my natural lashes (which in retrospect weren't really that bad) so I started using individual eyelashes back in 05. LOVED the results, but (unbeknownst at the time) the glue is absolute *murder* on natural lashes. After wearing them daily for a few months, I realized it was either continue applying or look like an alien until they grew back, which evidently can take up to 2 years! I stupidly stuck to applying the lashes. Fast forward (and simultaneously rewind) to September '14. I decided that, although the results of the indies looked great, I was ready for my real lashes because of the high maintenance routine they demanded . Enter castor oil. I knew that many lash serums and growth mascaras (Rimmel Volume Accelerator being one of them) contain castor oil as an ingredient. While I am ridiculously obsessed w/ mascara (seriously - for a while I felt like I was cheating on my husband w/ Ulta, making secret mascara purchases, hiding them in my "junk makeup" bag & lying to him about it - I later felt guilty and came clean, much to his amusement) I decided to skip the mascara middle man and try castor oil. Totally glad I did. I found some cold pressed, hexane free on Ebay (15 ml/.5oz) for $2.98 and started using it every night before bed. To be fair, and clear: I have a whole routine I diligently go through every night that involves not only castor oil, but unrefined coconut oil and straight vitamin e oil as well on my lashes. I do only use castor oil on my brows but I'll get to that later. Anyway, after doing what I call extensive research and my husband (affectionately) calls stalking, I discovered that not only can/does castor, coconut & vitamin e oils work wonders for lashes, so can/do essential oils which we've been into for about 2 years now and already had on hand. Anyway, here's what I do each night:
I add a few drops each of lavender, rosemary, cedarwood and tea tree oil to every new bottle of nighttime facial cleanser (lavender, peppermint and tea tree to my separate morning cleanser, as all of these help with hair growth, as well as redness and the Exxon Valdez oil slick my face seems to mass produce) and cleanse my face, neck, and GENTLY my lashes to remove makeup and kill the little mites that thrive on our lash follicles & hinder growth (ewwww!), and let it sit for a few mins. No, it does not sting my eyes, however I don't have sensitive eyes to begin w/. Rinse. Then I use coconut oil to remove any residual makeup and condition my lashes. I then apply castor/vit e oil (1:1 ratio) on my lash line/lash roots with a clean, soft lip brush (e.l.f. $1) then brush my lashes with a fluffy clean mascara wand, wiggling at the base to stimulate roots, then sweep from root to tip to coat each lash. Within the first few months, I noticed my lashes had tripled in thickness (I literally have multiple layers of lash growth on my lash line), the gaps have filled in, and I have had NO breakage whatsoever. I probably lose ohhh, 2-3 lashes per MONTH as opposed to daily lash loss after I stopped applying individuals & before the daily regimen started kicking in. (I noticed decent improvement in about 4 weeks, husband noticed in about 10-12 weeks). My lashes are glossy, *much* thicker (not craaaazy thick, but these things take time) and definitely longer, touching the bottoms of my severely over tweezed, pathetic brows (again, I'll get to them in a bit) and the gaps are filled in BEAUTIFULLY. In fact, recently (roughly a month ago) while bending down to light a "smoke", I managed to singe the tips of my lashes on the outer corner of my left eye, resulting in some sort of weird mini lash look, compared to the rest of my left eye, which was unscathed. It was just so freaking awkward looking, so much that I had to use the Younique 3D fiber mascara my sister got me for my birthday, on the tips of my mini lashes only, and I generally can't stand that stuff. But my lashes were in a state of emergency and I wanted them to appear even. Anyway, doing my daily lash care routine literally grew them back to regular length in no time. Like, I can't even tell now that they were stubby only a short time ago. Now, for the castor oil/brow part. I only use castor oil on my brows. I use another clean wand to apply castor oil thickly on my brows, rubbing in and gently brushing to stimulate follicles and coat brows which have been over plucked and barren for years. I wish I would've taken pics! New hairs are sprouting daily, and although I've stopped plucking the inner hairs since I want them thicker, I still "maintenance pluck" outer hairs from my arch down my brow tail because the brows are filling in quite nicely. I just started using castor oil nightly on my brows about 2 months ago, because I never really thought to do it before. I should've done this YEARS ago, as I too am a victim of the aforementioned 90's/early 2000's thinly plucked, penciled in brows. I also add about 2 ml castor oil to my EVOO/coconut hot oil hair treatment and around my hair line and it works wonders in strength and shine. I will continue to use cold pressed castor on lashes for now, but have seen youtubers using plain old Rexall brand from the laxative aisle. I bought a small bottle of it, and if it doesn't break my brows out & I have decent results like them, I'll just use that instead of ordering online. Will update results. *Btw, ricin is ONLY present when whole castor beans are ground up, as it is found inside the bean. Store bought castor oil is RICIN FREE, because of the process they use to make it a consumable/usable product. So please don't take to heart what the others have said about ricin. Yes, it is toxic. No, it absolutely isn't present in ANY brand of castor oil.
˜Update˜4/14/16 - it has only been about 19 days since I've tried Rexall castor oil (Dollar General $1.50 USD for 30ml/1 fl oz and I have had GREAT results! No breakouts, just gro

on 3/9/2016 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've used this every other day for a few weeks on my lashes and eyebrows, and especially in my lashes I've seen a change. They might've gotten a little longer, but most of all they've gotten a lot stronger. I've had problems with my eyelashes breaking off a lot, sometimes so much that there's a noticeable "gap" in my lashes where several has fallen off. Since I started using castor oil I've seen significantly less lashes break off when taking off makeup etc. In my brows I haven't seen as much of a change, but it might still come. I apply the oil with an eyeliner brush along the upper lash line, kind of like I would an eyeliner, a while before I go to bed. Sometimes I also dab a little onto the end of the lashes to give an extra boost to the actual lashes.

My eyes are quite sensitive, so initially I was a bit scared about applying an oil that irritates eyes right near the lash line and/or on my lashes. But the oil is thick enough to really stay where you've put it, and I haven't had any problems with it. When I researched the oil I saw a lot of people saying you should remove any excess oil in the morning when you wash your face, but I swear I don't have any oil to remove come morning. Either my lashes and brows are just really thirsty and drinks it all up, or I smush my face deep enough into my pillow to rub it off during the night.

I will continue to use it and I hope that over time I'll get longer lashes as well as stronger ones.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I use this every night on my eyebrows and eyelashes and I have seen a great improvement in length and thickness. I see a few people have a problem with the oil going in their eyes (it doesn't cause any damage, it just gives you temporary blurry vision), but i just apply a little to the tips of my lashes and this is enough to coat you lashes because it will slowly slide over the rest of you lashes as you sleep, so you don't end up with too much excess. If it does go in your eyes don't worry just wash it out, but if you don't wash it out it soon clears up in a few hours anyway. I also use a little bit on my brows during the day to keep them in place if I haven't filled in my eyebrows, only a little bit so it doesn't look shiny. During the winter when I get dry skin around my nose, I just dab a little bit on dry patches in the morning and at night to stop my skin from becoming flaky (it hasn't caused any spots for me when I do this).

on 2/9/2016 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I love this for eyebrows, but for some reason it always stings my eyes when I use this under my eyes and for my eyelashes. It never absorbs and leaves me with blurry vision and tears forever when I wake up. Will keep using for eyebrows though!

on 1/29/2016 10:04:00 AM

I have extremely sensitive skin and will get flesh-coloured bumps all over my face from bathing in certain town water, that has a lot of additives and chlorine. Castor oil keeps the skin under the eyes from getting darker, and helps keep wrinkles at bay and maintained. I use the Home Health brand and it's great. It's a very thick oil, but it still works well for hydrating skin under the eyes. I also add it to my body lotion. If I use it on my face other than under my eyes, I have a tendency to break out, so I just don't use it on my face, but that doesn't take away from how well it works as an under-eye moisturizer and anti-aging tool.

on 1/21/2016 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have oily skin and naturally decent lashed both in length and thickness. I do dab this around my lash line with a q-tip to just condition the lashes. However, since castor oil is pretty thick and rich, I don't use it in my skin or brows as it can clog pores, for those I use jojoba oil especially in the summer. My mother is the primary user though as she uses it as a hair pack and it has helped with shedding for her. As with any oil, I would suggest that everyone do a spot test to ensure they are not allergic to castor oil. Also, the whole Ricin that people are complaining about is only found in the seeds of castor plant and is boiled off and left as a waste product after processing of castor oil. The only people to be likely poisoned from Ricin present in castor seeds are the workers at processing plants for castor oil.

on 1/21/2016 2:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't use this on my eyelashes because they are already incredibly long, they reach my eyebrows when I look down. But I do use it on my eyebrows and on my hair and feet.

I used to have thick eyebrows but one day I went to get them shaped and the lady who normally does my brows wasn't there and this other lady completely waxed off my brows from the arch onward, and the hair never grew back again. I found out about castor oil 6 months back and after using it continuously on my brows, night and day my arch has finally begun to come back, it hasn't grown fully (length) but it is now way thicker than it was before it got waxed off.

As for my hair, after I turned 15 my hair started falling out quite a lot, it got me scared as I thought I was balding, so I started using shampoos and conditioners designed to help stop hair fall, it did improve slightly. I also would never go for haircuts cause just trying to grow my hair an inch would take months. But when I discovered castor oil, I thought if it helps hair growth it will definitely help reduce my hair loss. I have been using castor oil mixed with virgin coconut oil as castor alone is incredibly thick and is a nightmare to wash out. I use it once or twice a week and I have noticed that my hair loss has reduced dramatically and my hair has grown 3 inches longer in just a month, which was a huge shocker to me.

Not only is it great for hair growth but I use it on my feet as it is a thick oil it penetrates the dry skin there amazingly, really, you can use it on anywhere that you might have very dry skin, say the back of your elbows etc, but don't use it on your face as it might make you grow more facial hair.

Popular Brows Products