The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

3.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

This is a nice cleanser that I enjoy using this winter. I rotate it with the tea tree foaming facial cleanser when my skin is oily I use the tea tree one, when it is dry, I use this one, which is very light, and cleanses my face well. It works well on sensitive skin also. If you have oily skin, I would pass on this product, which is best for dry/combination skin types.

on 12/26/2011 8:54:00 PM

I like it's all natural ingredient, especially without sodium lauryl sulfate which is always found in other face wash. However, I think it is too gentle and doesn't clean my face thoroughly. My T-zone still oily even I have put extra cleanser in this area. I have to use other cleanser on this area again, so double cleansing each time I'm using this product. The pro is it didn't cause any breakouts. I won't purchase this again, looking forward to use other facial wash.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Great for sensitive skin. Its ingredients are rated 10 on goodguide.com. I really enjoy using it in the morning as it feels so pampering and refreshing. However, it does not remove all makeup (even mineral foundation), so I have to use a seperate cleanser in the evening (or use it as a makeup remover with cotton pad then following by a stronger cleanser). It does not make me break out nor irritate my skin.

on 7/6/2011 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Original review 2009: This is the best and mildest cleanser I have found till now.
Every town in Holland has a Body Shop, so the products are easy to purchase and they are not very expensive.
I love that the Body Shop has made a sensitive free of parfume line (the Aloe Vera line) and this cleanser is the best.

The only con is that it doesn't clean away mineral sunscreen, but when you clean twice, than it is good enough.

Store the bottle upside down, than the product comes out easily.

Edit 5-2011: I still love this cleanser and haven't found anything better.
Nowadays I use this with the Muslin Cloths from The Body Shop and it works like a charm. My skin is much smoother now I clean this way.
After trying a lot of cleansers I discovered that non-foaming cleansers work the best for my skin type (sensitive, oily, acne prone). Foaming cleansers irritate my skin which causes cystic acne.
I more and more discover that my type of acne is caused by sensitivity, irritation and bad ingredients.

on 10/18/2011 6:42:00 AM

I would recommend removing make up with a seperate cleanser before using this product. It's a nice cleanser which leaves your skin feeling nourished.

on 11/22/2011 9:37:00 PM

WHAT IS IT? Creamy surfactant-free cleanser
INGREDIENTS: Water, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Pentylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cyclomethicone, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitol, Glyceryl Stearate, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Oil, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Phosphate.
HOW DOES IT PERFORM? This creamy, fragrance-free, surfactant-free cleanser is emulsifies makeup, sunscreen, and dirt and can be removed either with water and your hands or a washcloth. To ensure complete removal I would recommend pairing this with either a muslin or microfibre washcloth especially for those bothered by stearates or oils left on the skin. During drier times of the year, cleansing with this in the evening can serve as a substitute for moisturizing since I have relatively oily skin and do not require a separate moisturizer except in extremely dry climates (desert, arctic cold etc.)
WOULD YOU BUY AGAIN? Yes for times when I need a cleanser although I am looking for a fragrance-free alternative from a company not owned by L'Oreal.
PRICE: $16.99 CAD

on 12/1/2010 1:29:00 AM

The older I get the more sensitive my skin is so I have really been testing out the organics in the last year and I I have to say I an impressed. This one feels nice and gets the grime and oil off after a workout,.

on 11/29/2010 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a thick non-foaming cream that rinses clean easily. It does have a strange rancid smell though. This is a great cleanser for sensitive skin. It is cheap and cleanses well. I will definitely use this again.

This is what The Body Shop says: "If everyday cleansers leave your skin feeling tight and dry, this is the product you've been waiting for. It dissolves impurities while soothing and refreshing skin."

Price: 6.50 for a 200 ml hard plastic flip-top bottle that is hard to squeeze so I leave it upside-down.

Ingredients: water (solvent/diluent), Aloe barbadensis gel (skin soothing agent), pentylene glycol (solvent), caprylic/capric triglyceride (emollient), Elaeis guineensis (skin-conditioning agent), butylene glycol (humectant), cyclomethicone (emollient), glycerin (humectant), glyceryl stearate citrate (skin-conditioning agent), cetearyl alcohol (emulsifier), sorbitol (humectant), glyceryl stearate (emulsifier), Orbignya oleifera oil (emollient), acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer (stabiliser/viscosity modifier), xanthan gum (viscosity modifier), disodium phosphate (pH buffer).

on 1/25/2011 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

So far I love this product. I bought it a few weeks ago, so I'm not going to say that things might not change. But as of right now, my very sensitive skin has seen a definite decline in breakouts. I've actually experienced whole days without some new zit appearing somewhere. It makes me think maybe my problem has been irritation rather than hormones (peri-menopause) or whatever other causes there are. My face feels smooth, looks healthy, and isn't tight or dry. The one ingredient that makes me nervous is the palm oil, since it's comedogenic, but so far, no problem. Well, I hope my happiness continues! If it does, I will absolutely be buying this again, and praying that it's not discontinued, which is what usually happens when I love some product.

on 5/30/2010 3:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I tried this as I wanted a cleanser for the evening (rather than a face wash) and this had good reviews on MUA and in Paula's book. This felt lovely on my skin, didn't dry it and actually removed my foundation pretty well (although I did use an eye make up remover too).

However, the very next morning I had couple of small white heads on my nose and one on my jaw! It's rare that I get acne so I assumed it was down to the cleanser. To be sure I waited till my skin was clear again, reverting back to my normal cleanser and then tried again - same thing happend 3 times; from total clear skin to 3 white heads in 1 night! I wont be buying this again. In fact, I think I'll try my luck at taking it back to the shop as there is no way I can even try this again as a one-off between my normal cleanser.

If you never get spots and have dry skin this might work for you as my skin definately felt soft. However, if your skin ever breaks out from the wrong prodcut - avoid this.

UPDATE: I took this back to the shop and they were kind enough to swap it for me (they did offfer a refund too), so I am now trialing their Vitamin E cream cleanser.