Differin Gel

Differin Gel

Here comes a little update... last time I wrote that I freakin love this product but unfortunately dont anymore. At first it removed all of my pimples and I was so happy to have found a product like that but a few months after using it it just stopped working. I didn't change any skincare or makeup products. Hate this atm...

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

LIFE SAVER! Guys be patient. This does not work its miracle overnight. You just have to be patient. I'm already on my 12/13th week and already seeing results. My face definitely feels and looks smoother (some of my blackheads and clogged pores from using Physiogel Gentle Skin Cleanser are already gone), skin tone evened out and acne scars lightened. But make sure to use a good sunscreen before going out under the sun!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I was prescribed to use Differin Gel 0.01% to treat my mild-to-moderate acne, many years ago. I didn't find this product to be a miracle worker, and neither did it do anything to help with skrinking my pores either. It just isn't the best fit my skin, even though I didn't find it to be harsh on my skin all that much. It is honestly the least harsh acne medication that i have ever been prescribed, but at the same time not effective enough to keep keep my acne breakouts under control like i needed it to. Thank God i never had to pay for it, as i would receive boxes with lots of trial sized samples of it inside given to me. As, this stuff is very expensive, i did come to learn.

Also, i cannot speak on it being possibly anti-aging, because when i was prescribed it, i was quite young without any fine lines or wrinkles on my face at all. Plus, I, didn't end up using it that long anyways either.

on 12/20/2014 3:21:00 PM

This is the best acne treatment. I started in September and now in December I'm free from acne. I get some hormonal spots but they heel fast. In the beginning my skin was very dry so I used a cream one hour after I applied Differin. Now my skin is so soft!! It works well as an anti age treatment too. Don't forget to use sunscreen! Here in Sweden my friends and colleagues (I work in a pharmacy)laugh at me but it's very important to protect the fine and soft skin from the sun!!!

on 1/25/2015 10:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

I think this works for people who perhaps really need it or have skin issues but I would not recommend it to someone with minor skin blemishes. I used this years ago when I was in high school. The following all happened while I was 17 years old. This experience has one major theme: irresponsibility!

1. I was seeking perfect skin when I really didn't have major issues and took my doctors advise without a second thought (irresponsible)
2. I noticed my skin was a flakey and sensitive and I continued use, hoping my doctors recommendation would in fact give me flawlessness (even more irresponsible).

The story: I didn't really have a lot of problems with my skin in high school - just the typical breakouts that any girl would have. My doctor recommended that I use this when I complained that my skin wasn't "up to standard" or whatever the hell I thought it should be at this age. She told me to use Differin.

Not only was it seemingly ineffective for me, but it made my skin feel sensitive, but...I wasn't sure. I did notice my skin was a bit dry and flakey but I was just thinking that the doctor said it would help and so I continued to use it. What is the worst that could happen? :)

After about 4 months of use, I went to get my eyebrows waxed as I normally did at the time. The woman applied wax, no big deal and tore it off. Pretty standard. After she ripped off one side, I felt like skin had come off. Being too scared to ask her wtf was going on and why it felt so unbearable I actually let her do the other side. I stood up, paid, walked out and cried all the way home. The wind hitting my face on the way home was too much to bear. The pain was absolutely terrible and I can manage physical pain!

When I got home, literally all of the skin above and below my eyebrows was gone. Missing. Not there. Pure red flesh. One of the most painful things ever. Not to mention the utter embarrassment!

Now, I get it could have totally been the wax and initially that is what I thought, too. After speculating, the wax was not hotter than usual, that woman had done my eyebrows a series of times and the only thing I had changed in my skin care routine was using Differin. I think it made my skin overly sensitive and ....really just weak. I had very resilient/ non sensitive skin prior to using the product.

This is just my experience. If you do not need to use a prescribed product, don't mess with it. I am happy this works for people that rely on it, but for me I do believe it changed my skin in a negative way. I waited three years to try waxing again, and a similar thing happened (with cold wax), I think the strength/ makeup of my skin had changed since using Differin. No big deal I just don't use it anymore.....................OR wax my eyebrows :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Worked really well for fading acne scars and reducing its redness. My skin purged when I started using this but after a couple weeks I noticed a lot of improvements!

I am on my 2nd bottle of Differin because it's also great for improving texture, prevent wrinkles, and helps overall appearance of skin.

Fortunately, I am covered by insurance so I would definitely use again

on 11/4/2014 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Push yourself past he first 6 to 8 weeks of use. I have clear, dry skin and was prescribed this for its anti-aging benefits. The dryness and irritation subsided . My advice is learn how to use this product properly. Apply a tiny amount on clean dry skin and hold out on you moisturiser for a bit after applying. I have been using this for 3 years and, at nearly forty, I haven't a wrinkle in sight. My skin is smooth and bright and looks as good or better than it did 10 years ago. Wear sunscreen! I have used the cream as well and honestly find very little difference between the two. It Is simply a preference.

on 10/4/2014 12:40:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Differin is a Vitamin A derivative, similar to Retin-A and other retinoids - it takes a long time to treat acne but once the initial phase of redness and irritation has stopped it is very effective, much more so than Benzoyl Peroxide which I'd say is a better short term treatment/spot treatment. I have been using it for 6 months now and my moderate/severe cystic acne and blackheads have gone completely. I have also noticed much smaller pores and diminished fine lines. If you can manage to get Differin at a reasonable price (my country it's subsidized to $5) then I would absolutely recommend it for people who are serious about getting rid of their acne.

on 9/19/2014 5:37:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is an amazing product ,it cleared up all my acne in one month and a half and now i rarely get breakouts I used to use it two times a day in the morning and at night and I didn't even use a face wash I just use a home made scrub two-three times a week but bare in mind that it needs some patience to see results and your skin will get drier but the results are worth it, plus it did leave me with scars so i stopped using it as often and just use it when i get pimples, and I started using acretin and now after 3 months and 9 days of using both deffrien and acretin my skin is just left with 30% scaring and I'll give it 1 more month for all the scaring to be gone :)

I've been using Differin gel for only 4 nights and the difference its made has been amazing! My acne has faded about 70% as well as some previous scarring. It is drying, but I'll take using an exfoliant and a good moisturizer over acne any day!