RCMA No Color Powder

3.9

Talc, silica

on 1/29/2017 4:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I got on the train way too late! This is HG of all setting powders out there and I've been through a few here are the Pros: it doesn't settle into fine lines, it absorbs excess oil, it doesn't leave a white cast as there's no talc in it. It doesn't alter the colour of all product applied before this. It's also SO affordable Cons: the packaging might be an issue for some but I'll rather pay for content ANY DAY as opposed to a cute good for nothing only sitting on dresser product. If this would help I get really oily and an NC45 in Mac foundation

Love this stuff. Would buy it even if it were more expensive.

Pros
Truly no color
Not drying, cracking or cakey.
No flashback
Sets like a dream and finely milled

Cons
Parmesan cheese shaker packaging.
Gotta move this to an empty jar or something bc it is flimsy and wasteful.
No puff included if that matters to you

on 1/9/2017 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this setting powder. The only thing is, the packaging is pretty messy and impossible to use. Mine is still pretty full, so I'm able to dip a small beauty blender into it, but I'm not sure what I'll do when I can't do that anymore. Definitely a good purchase!!

on 12/25/2016 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Yeah..this works for me! I do not use primer but I do moisturize before foundation. I decided to try a suggestion by Wayne Goss to powder UNDER your foundation. I've been doing it under my eyes and my t-zone and I'm liking it! I have set my foundation with it and it does leave me looking a shade lighter but it does not have flash back. Overall, it's okay. Not ground breaking but it's a reasonable price and it's has its place!

on 1/13/2017 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

it is refreshing to have a product that is affordable and works great!
rcma no color sets makeup very well, especially my multiple smile lines so foundation doesnt crack there.
only a small amount is needed. this powder is finely milled.
truly zero colour... it looks white in the jar but it does not look white on the face.
and it has zero sparkly bits.
i press the powder in with a damp BB.
so rcma is fabulous for setting but i dont know how it does with oil if you lean that way.
i have normal skin.
i do use Laura mercier translucent pressed for touchup on the go but it is not always needed (only in very hot summer weather or during an extra long day/evening)

on 12/16/2016 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is another one of those YouTube made me buy it and oh lord do I regret it. I don't understand all of these youtubers who claim they have dry skin and that this is THE powder for them. I find this to be quite drying and doesn't contain any makeup setting or prolonging functions. I certainly cannot use it on my whole face as it mattifies and gives my skin a strange feel, much like smearing flour or some other dry powder, and it cakes up whenever I use a setting spray. It doesn't do that great of a job over my concealer either, my concealers (UD naked and Nars radiance creamy) seem to crease right after one or two hours, and I don't have this issue when I use a foundation powder to set the concealer.

Update: I've done two times the same at-home wear test, with applying this powder over half of my face (including undereye area) and another powder (I used Nars light reflecting setting powder) over the other half of my face. All other conditions are absolutely the same regarding foundation / skincare. After a few hours, the RCMA side shows significantly obvious pores, almost looking like the base makeup has sunken into these pores, and the side of my nose is extremely powdery and white, but the side with Nars powder does not show this and still look poreless. There is redness showing next to my nose on RCMA side, which means the foundation there has slided off a bit, again the redness on Nars side is still concealed. The worst of it all was the undereye area, which turned into this creased dry patch that you can definitely see the lines in, the Nars side undereye isn't looking that moisturized either due to the fact that I have dry undereye, but so far no texture or creasing. I repeated the same test again the next day but just switched sides for the two powders (in case my skin condition is uneven) and received the same results.
My face is usually really dry, but my foundation seems to be working very well for me lately, after I introduced an oil into my skincare a few weeks ago, so I was surprised that I could actually set it with the Nars powder (which otherwise I reserve for warmer months, because it's quite mattifying slash drying). So this proves even when my skin's condition is superb, RCMA still doesn't work for me. Needless to say, I won't be using this powder to set anything anymore. It's good riddance since I hate the packaging anyway. (Update: I gave this powder to a friend who always sports a full coverage look - meaning her skin is the opposite of dry, and she loves it. She says it is perfect for baking.)

Aw so sad. I, like other reviewers had high hopes for a 'miracle' powder. I have medium-tan white girl skin. This powder kind of looks white rather than translucent. I look ashy. This settled into my fine lines horribly (I'm 32 so I know I have them but this was awful and made me depressed!) I am not a powder user, so I was just shocked to see how awful and crepey under my eyes could look :(. Wrinkles aside, this powder also caked up my foundations in a lot of spots on my forehead, cheeks, nose.. everywhere. I was expecting a powder to make my makeup look flawless, instead I am in dry, blotchy, wrinkly hell. It says it is not supposed to give flashback, and while I haven't tested the accuracy of this, I can tell just by the white cast it leaves on my face that it would most certainly leave flashback. The packaging is weird. It has such basic ingredients. One is talc. Talc is linked to cancer. I think I will try Kryolan's line of powders and see if it's just my sadly aging skin, or a crappy product or both lol. Or maybe powder is not for me.

This is another one of those products that is hyped for being "great value for money" so you buy it and then realise it's actually extremely mediocre so you throw it in your graveyard of a middle bathroom drawer that holds your patchy e.l.f. lip products and greasy Maybelline primers and God knows what else that you bought because they had 4+ star reviews but it turns out that was only because people were giving them two extra stars for being cheap. And then you sit there and sulk and post salty MakeupAlley reviews because you're pissed off that you've wasted so much money over the years on bad quality "dupes" from the misleading reviews when you could have saved that money for higher quality that works a lot better.

RCMA powder looks and smells exactly like flour. Had it not come sealed, I would have been genuinely curious if I had been given some weird cut version by an eBay seller trying to work his way up to dealing dodgy coke. It leaves a white cast and does not truly sink into my face no matter how I apply - I have so far tried a damp Beauty Blender, a dry Beauty Blender, a damp RT sponge, e.l.f. kabuki and a Real Techniques powder brush. It still looks obvious no matter the application, how little I use, how long I wait between primer/foundation layers drying, if I use it just to set instead of finishing (as it's not very finely milled) etc.

It feels obvious. It does not control oil, it seems to... hold it. Basically imagine putting a thin paper towel over your face. At first it's dry and all over and clearly white. That's RCMA. Then over a few hours your face oil starts seeping through, and the paper towel absorbs it and sticks to your face more. You are conscious of the weight of it on your face, you can look in the mirror and see it in place holding the oil. It does not hide the oil, it holds it and makes it look slightly blurred but it is still very clearly a layer of something that absorbed a lot of oil. A few more hours pass and the oil starts breaking apart the paper towel but it's still held in place and the texture is obvious. This is the best analogy I can think of for how RCMA looks and feels on me.

^ It should be noted that I don't even have oily skin. I have dry/mild combination. That's how much this powder sucks. I have used plenty of other mattifying products without looking cakey or getting excessively oily. I use RCMA in addition to a mattifying primer (Mecca To Save Face sunscreen) and a matte foundation (Elizabeth Arden Custom Colour Foundation). To be fair RCMA doesn't specifically state that it controls oil, but it does claim to be good for "all powdering purposes" and to set make up without changing the colour of your foundation or looking ashy and it just does not live up to any of those claims at all. Has RCMA seriously never seen someone darker than an NC15?

Now on to the good parts - it IS fantastic value for money (if you are an extremely budgeted person with pale, normal-type skin), it does take away a shiny face if you apply it halfway through the day (but be careful because it sits on top of the oil absorbed previous layer), and it did not break me out at all (and I am allergic to almost everything up to and including my own sweat). If you want to use this powder you will need a sifter container because the RCMA is basically packaged as a spice shaker.

If you can afford it, I recommend you go for Innisfree No Sebum Loose Powder instead. It is superior to this in every way except price and size. I would repurchase it but I hate the tiny container. Innisfree absorbs oil and then disappears, taking the absorbed layer with it. Which is much more preferable to RCMA deciding to take a dump on your face because you personally offended it.

Update: I bought Mac Fix + which took care of the powder issue and bad finish, but it did nothing for oil control or longevity - not that I was expecting it to. For those unaware, setting sprays (contain glycerine and/or butylene glycol in the top ~5 ingredients) mesh your powder/foundation/primer etc layers into one but don't extend the longevity. Fixing sprays (almost always misleadingly labeled as setting sprays and contain alcohol in the top ~5 ingredients) act as a protective layer and "seal" your make up to make it last longer - but it only protects the top layer. Using a setting spray (Max Fix+) first and then a fixing spray (Urban Decay Deslick) will last far longer than using just one since you're no longer protecting just the top layer, you're protecting the only layer because the setting spray meshed it.

Update 2: I switched to using Rimmel Stay Matte which I found to be nearly as good as Innisfree, but significantly cheaper. I gave RCMA away to a girl that I don't particularly like so that works out.

Update 3: The girl I gave it away to got dumped by her longterm boyfriend a week later so I no longer have hard feelings towards RCMA.

on 12/7/2016 7:48:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Personally I don't get the hype with this product but I do need an oil controlling powder, which this most certainly doesn't do. It doesn't set nor mattify my makeup so a definite was of time. So pleased I got a sample first.

on 12/16/2016 8:33:00 AM

I have kinda fair-medium skin tone and when I use this for baking I think I have a little white on my face :(( I've used some of it from my friend n I thought I love it and I decided to buy a full size of it. And I don't know why it was disappointing me because the whiteness and it didn't last on me, either. Perhaps when I used it from my friend I didn't baking but it was still last all day but when I bought the full size it didn't ?!?? Maybe the weather or my oily skin so just forget 'bout it :)) but it's make my eyes look dry when I baking so I think I don't like or hate this powder, either it's just not my favorite :)))) hope this review can help you <3