Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

4.5

White Petrolatum

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I use this on my face as a moisturizer day and night. After going on Differin, my skin has become very dry and tight. Any other moisturizer I used had left my face dry, stinging, red, and irritated. Vaseline was the only one that actually worked and did not irritate me. In the morning, before I put on my makeup I apply Vaseline, and blot off the excess using toilet paper. You need just the smallest amount, and then rub it between your hands to warm it up and melt it, otherwise you WILL apply too much.

I was worried about breakouts too, but the size of the molecules in Vaseline are too large to get in and clog your pores. I noticed that my skin has not broken out yet, and I have used this for 2 months now.

I would not use this if I had normal skin because it feels greasy. However, I do recommend this to those who are also on medication that may be drying their skin out, or for those with severely dry skin. Packaging is unhygienic, but I don't think that they could put this in a pump due to the consistency. Price point is beautiful.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Don't use this on my skin but rather more traditionally for my lips and recently eyelashes! Has really helped condition them and I have noticed a significant difference in their length when I apply mascara, I rarely reach for my falsies now! Whenever I'm going to sleep or not wearing makeup I'll rub some across my lips then on my lashes, wouldn't be without this staple product!

on 3/16/2015 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Mom was right again! Vaseline at night as a face cream works amazingly. I wake up with softer and more even skin. Of course I had to go off and try expensive face creams that all left me with acne and redness...but I'm now crawling back to this. It's cheap, multi-purpose and fragrance/irritant free. Try not to buy the generic (store) brand as they often contain extra ingredients and fragrance.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Just started using this for my rosacea ridden skin. I pat it on my cheeks after cleansing at night to lock in moisture. I was scared to death because my skin is highly reactive and I get pimples if the wind blows. This smooth's out the flakiness without breaking me out so I happy.
11/6 update
This has truly been a godsend and I can't believe I never tried it before. It is slowly repairing my acne /rosacea ridden skin.
1/12 update
I use this more on my forehead and chin but it's been clogging my cheeks a bit so I'm going to stop using it there.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used to have the oiliest skin. I have been using so many reputable brands for oily skin. They only matte my face for a few hrs, come mid day my nose is super oily that I'm afraid US will invade it. So I give vaseline a try after reading about it in reddit skincare addict, I patch test, doesn't clog my skin. I been using this for a month as night cream. I love it. Just a thin layer. In the morning my skin is so soft. No more oily skin.

on 8/22/2015 3:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

petroleum jelly should NOT be used on the face unless you're planning to get clogged facial pores and cause dirt and oil build up that will end up creating acne...be sensible and reasonable people. otherwise it's useful for moisturizing lips, lashes and eyebrows.

on 2/27/2015 9:42:00 PM

I used to use vaseline for almost everything. As a moisturiser for my lips, dry skin (elbows, knees, etc), my feet, and even under my eyes. I replaced it now with other things such as home made body butter, and oils.

There are a few reasons I stopped using this and the number one reason is the ingredients. Its petroleum jelly. Although it goes through processes to remove any impurities, I'm not comfortable with the thought.

Another problem I had was something similar to what another reviewer mentioned. My skin would feel moisturised temporarily. After a while, it felt more dry than prior to using it.

Other reasons include wanting to feed my skin better products. Vaseline may moisturise your skin, but that is it. No antioxidants, nothing.

Now, I'm not a health nut nor do I claim that I don't use any chemicals on my skin. I do, and I don't think I'll be stopping any time soon. I just believe there are much better options for moisturisers out there that will not only provide you with moisture, but with other benefits, without emptying your wallet.

If you have really dry skin, and are not looking for anything other than moisturising, then I think you'll love this. Other than that, I'd suggest trying other products.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This tiny tub kicked the crap out of me. I only used this ONCE and my face turned into a raging mess. I picked this up based on recs to lock in moisture for winter dehydrated skin. At night, I preformed my same old skincare routine but topped it off with a very thin layer of vaseline. I went to bed looking like Brutus from Popeye. Big ol greasy face. I woke up with pretty smooth looking skin. I just rinsed my face quickly with lukewarm water and applied my usual spf and moisturizer. I put on my ususal foundation and nope...bye. Skin looked so weathered! I looked like I was lost at sea for months. How can this be? Also, it immediatley caused a large breakout all along my jaw line and chin. However, no clogs probably because this was a one time use. I sit here now with a peel on my face trying to burn away the sins of the jelly. Overall, I am very reactive to products so I wasn't too surprised that this didn't work for me. However, many women for many years swear by this so it is worth checking out.

on 3/6/2015 4:05:00 AM

Amazing product! This has an infinite amount of uses, from eyelash conditioner, to lip balm, moisturizer, mix with lipstick for a cream blush, eye cream in a pinch, i even use it as a highlight on my cheek bones! I buy this time and time again it's just one of the most useful things I've ever seen.

on 3/6/2015 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Vaseline has saved my skin during the super dry winter season! During the winters, no matter what moisturizer i use, my skin will always end up with dry patches which makes it really hard for me to apply makeup. I have managed to make vaseline save my skin! Here's what I do:

1) wash face with cleanser
2) moisturize quickly while skin is still damp
3) apply vaseline once moisturizer sets in

I only do this at night, and this makes my skin perfect the next morning for makeup.