Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.2

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I use this over LM Secret Concealer, just as all the SAs tell you to. It is perfect for keeping the concealer smooth and crinkle-free all day. I don't have any other use for this -- it's not exactly a luminizer, and it's too white to use anywhere else -- but I don't need another use for this. It is perfect for brightening under the eyes and setting concealer. I like the brush they sell to go with it -- just the right size for under the eye. I use this every day, even when I'm scarcely wearing any other makeup. A staple.

on 1/3/2009 6:34:00 PM

i use this everyday dusting it over my under eye concealer after i apply my eyeshadows for an eye brightening look. i think this can be easily subsituted for a lot of other things. im not sure if i will repurchase bc it doesnt last and kinda sorta makes a diff after my concealer. i will probably buy neutrogena's new eye concealer pot w/ the same looking eye brightening powder. almost like one that laura mercier also has.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I got this from a swap without seeing this in real life and I was shocked when I opened the tub... I was thinking how to use a shimmery white powder? *gulp* and under the eye?

Then I tried this with my HG CdP concealer and I have a feeling that they are made to be a pair though I know this is made for LM's concealers and I can't compare as I haven't tried them. This sets the concealer really well. Smooth and flawless. No issue with settling into my line as with the other pressed powder I always use, well unless no touch-up till after-work.

Also, the powder I need for this is minimal, I need to tap off excess powder otherwise my under eye area looks shimmery.

I'm not a fan with the packaging as I hate loose powder form stuffs... I think it will be better if they can make the slits of the sifter smaller? I always get too much powder with one tap on the container on the screw top.

on 4/23/2008 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I'm loving this product. I've only gotten into this brand very recently and this is one of hers that's supposed to be a stand out. I use this to set my cle de peau concealer. This is a HG combination. After I apply cdp I lightly dust this under my eyes to set the look. It gives a great lightening/brightening appearance that works with your concealer to camoflauge dark circles. The jar retails for $22.00 which isn't steep at all IMO since you only need to use a dusting for each application. I'm sure this jar will last me a good while.

They are supposed to be pretty versatile shade wise since they go on so lightly. After debating between #1 and #2 I ultimately chose #2. Summer is coming and my complexion will most likely get a bit darker. I'm confident it will work for my winter and summer complexion though. Right now I'm NC 25 in MAC and 30 (shell) in Chanel T.I.

on 12/29/2007 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I was really skeptical of this product. For one thing, it is bright white. For another, powder under eyes seems to equal dry looking skin.
SBP is truly a miracle product. I use it over my concealer. I use a very fluffy eyeshadow brush that is only for use w/ my SBP. You have to be careful and only use a light dusting of the powder under eyes, and blend it in. I just usually tap the brush against the excess powder that gets on the lid. This will optically diffuse the dark circles and make you look more awake. If you look at the powder in the jar, it doesn't look shimmery, but when the powder gets on the lid, you can tell it has a very fine shimmer and it looks like snow! The shimmer is undetectable on your skin, though.
You have to be careful and not overdo this. Too much will make your undereye skin look powdery and will emphasize wrinkles.
Seriously, this may be expensive, but it will last forever and if you have dark circles, it's indispensable. Long live SBP!!!!

on 12/28/2007 1:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

LOVE! I could not imagine doing my makeup every morning without this. I use Bobbi Brown corrector and concealer, and I top it off with this. I have it in 02, and I am incredibly fair, but it looks very natural. I dust it on with the Bobbi Brown eye blender brush because I feel like the Laura brush that was designed for this product gives too matte of a finish. I like a natural finish, not matte. This product is amazing!!

on 11/19/2007 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It's not often that I'll be so excited about a product that I'll review after only using a few times, but this product has made such a difference to my appearance I just had to share. I've had dark circles my whole life and although I have found products to help hide them, they're always noticeable. I had despaired of ever being rid of them. Until I tried this stuff. For the first time in my life I have no dark circles! Hallelujah! I just put the tiniest bit on with a fluffly blush, and hey presto, the shadows are banished. I was a bit reticent to put a powder under my eyes, but when its on, it doesn't look like I have powder on at all and it doesn't settle into fine lines. I also use a bit around the side of my nose to smooth out the skin tone (although it can give me a sneezing fit). My only regret is that I didn't discover this earlier. I'm fair and use the #1 shade. It looks startlingly white in the pot, but it blends beautifully when its on.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Well I got seduced into buying this when I was in SpaceNK the other day - I was looking at the No1 (white version) as I am ghostly pale but the SA convinced me to try the No2 which is advertised as being for darker skin tones. Her reasoning is that the No2 looks much more natural than the white which can look lodd under some lights and weirdly on skin as pale as mine give you reverse panda eyes as you have little natural skin colour to counter the whiteness - she advised sticking to the No.2 except for evenings. So decided to give it a whirl. The No.2 shade is still VERY pale - like a slightly off white. She used this over the Secret Concealor and Secret Light pen (reviewed those seperately)- worked really well!!! (Am still lemming the white version though!!)
Not a miracle product but does make a big difference - didn't notice till did one eye and not the other.
Will definitely buy again just not sure what shade.Have taken off one lippy for the price!!

on 2/28/2007 10:51:00 PM

Ahh. Besides my beloved La Mer Loose Powder I can claim another holy grail in my collection. I love finely milled powders that provide sheer smoothing coverage and adds a hint of glamorous glimmer. The Secret Brightening Powder is as finely milled as the La Mer LP, but instead of having any peach undertones (which is not always suitable for yellow skin toned gals) the SBP in #2 is a creamy tint which compliments most complexions.

This is far superior than most mineral and natural finishing powders, like Pure Luxe Line eraser, Jurlique silk dust, etc. Even on my sensitive skin, which is normally intolerant of talc based powders, this does not cause that annoying itching sensation and lasts well throughout the day even when my skin gets oily.

One gripe, the pot which it comes in should have deeper sides, because the powder is so fine and I like to use a big loose powder brush, much of it ends up spilling over the sides and goes to waste.

on 1/22/2007 10:15:00 PM

I have this in #2, which looks like a translucent color to me. This powder does a fantastic job of keeping my undereye concealer in place all day without creasing or looking powdery and dry or accenting any fine lines. It might brighten up the area subtly too, though I can't tell. It does make it look smoother and cleaner though. It's also nice as a super-subtle highlighter for uber casual days. Texture is really fine, like dust, and there are no visible shimmers at all, though I examined this quite closely under bright lights. Laura Mercier is a pure genius when it comes to "base." I put on an illuminating concealer/highlighter (Boots), then a touch of normal concealer (Make Up For Ever Lift), then this powder, then I pat a bit of Laura Mercier's Secret Finish on top (I don't think the last step is necessary but I'm trying ot use up my sample tube.)--and voila! Fresh, radiant-looking eyes rather than bags or dark shadows.