Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.2

on 9/29/2015 4:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I went to the LM in hopes of getting the regular translucent powder for setting my concealer and to start trying the "baking" technique. I was disappointed to find out that it was out of stock but the lady somehow managed to convince me into getting the Secret brightening powder for my under eyes and said that the other would be super dry. Now over all, the product is nice, but what I don't like about it is that is contains glitter. I would not repurchase this product because I'm planning to get the regular translucent powder

on 9/11/2015 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Despite not really having a valid reason for needing this powder, I use it all the time. My skin is normal (N10), slightly dry on occasion (depending on weather and allergies), and I typically don't have issues with my concealer fading or moving around on my skin. But I love the effect this gives my undereye area. It adds a subtle luminosity and a soft glow without looking cakey or powdery. It's one of those products that I can easily remove from my routine, or replace with a more light reflecting concealer, but at the same time it's such a simple extra step with a lot of payoff so I can't see myself not using it.

I've had equally good results using this over all of my concealers, which I switch around depending on my mood. Currently I use Cle de Peau concealer in Ivory, Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Fair, and Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly. For liquid concealers I make sure to let them set for a minute or two first before applying the powder. It's so lightweight and silky, extremely sheer, and thin so it doesn't look heavy at all. I use a synthetic fluffy brush to apply so it isn't packed on. The shimmer is subtle but if used heavily it does look more obvious. The powder itself is on the luminous side too, so it may be too much of an effect for those who like a matte quality in their makeup.

I haven't used this anywhere other than my undereye area, so the small size isn't an issue. I've had mine for about five months and it doesn't look like I've used much at all yet. But I think depending on how/where you use this will determine how fast you use up the jar. I think a similar effect can be achieved by other products, and any loose powder will probably do just as fine a job setting makeup, but I do like this and will keep purchasing. I'm a huge fan of light reflecting/glowy makeup and so this is right up my alley. Plus I like that it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

on 8/25/2015 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

It does not brighten the under eye area at all, it does an OK job at setting concealer but can sink into fine lines.

on 6/8/2015 5:29:00 PM

Woah! My under eyes crease a lot and someone recommended this and it's amazing! I've never seen anything like this it stopped my undereyes from creasing and made them look more awake and feel smoother

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

My HG!

I use this powder to set the various under eye concealers I use and this powder is just perfect! I never have any creasing, white flashback in photos when I use this. I was originally put off by the powder being white because I didn't want it to look ashy; but this powder is just perfect.

The product itself is a finely milled powder, almost like a sifted flour texture, it is very airy and light. It is white with a light sheen/glimmer to it. Once I blend out my concealer I apply this using my damp BB or my pointed Sigma Sigmax brush. I already use the GA orange corrector for my under eye area then conceal but I still want that something extra and this is just what I needed. I like the way this looks better during daytime then using banana colored powders it looks more natural. My under eye make up lasts forever once I set it with this. I also skip my corrector and my concealer will cast a dark shadow under my eye and this helps diffuse that perfectly!

I paid $24 and got 0.14 OZ. it might seem small but I have had mine since Sept.2014 and with daily use I still have a ton of product left. I highly suggest this powder, Its a must have in my book!

on 3/29/2015 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Laura Mercier where have you been all my life?! (Lurking in John Lewis that's where) this product was recommended to me by a kind soul at Clinique in boots after I'd completed a full lap of the makeup counters and come up empty handed.

I was looking for a translucent powder that I could use over my liquid highlighter to stop my mascara smudging on it under my eyes, but one that would not spoil the effect of wearing a highlighter in the first place, what a conundrum!

This works perfectly, it's a very fine loose powder that looks quite sparkly on first inspection but tones down after you apply it, it sets your highlighter or concealer without 'covering' it and is moisturising so it doesn't dry out your eye area.

*TIP after you dip your brush in the powder tap most of it off back into the pot to get rid of excess- you only need a tiny amount, also make sure you use a light touch but do buff in well with a soft, fluffy brush.
Xx

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

I was so excited to buy this product after hearing great things from the girls at the LM counter and the staff at Space NK. This is a very disappointing product for a few reasons:

If you have a problem with dark circles and need something to set your concealer whilst providing some illumination, this is NOT for you. This has no coverage (I know it isn't meant to) but it also does not brighten the eye area at all. For me it makes my under eyes look quite ashy and grey which obviously does not help my terrible hereditary dark circles.

I also can't seem to understand how this holds your concealer in place? It creases in the fine lines under my eyes and looks dry. I've tried applying this a few different ways and it hasn't made a difference, my concealer is partially removed in application and I'm left looking blotchy and tired.

I would not repurchase this product nor would I recommend it to anyone trying to brighten their under eyes. I will continue my search for a great powder to set my concealer and provide some extra coverage!

Edit: It might be worth mentioning that my dark circles are brown-ish in colour so perhaps this works better for blue/purple-ish dark circles?

on 1/21/2015 1:48:00 PM

I bought this for my under eye area. I didn't remove the sticker, just stuck a pin through a couple of the holes to prevent all of the product from spilling out. I use this every day, but mostly because I have it, not because it does anything great for me. It is very shimmery, but thank goodness that isn't obvious with the naked eye. I don't really see any brightening effect, and it cakes and creases as much as any other powder would.

on 1/5/2015 10:23:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I bought this with a voucher I had for Christmas as I fancied something to set my under eye concealer with. Utter disappointment. I may as well use baby powder on my face. I used it sparingly and it instantly settled into my makeup and fine lines- I'm only 30 and don't have many!
It's the only time my partner has said 'are you wearing foundation?' As he hates heavy make up, as do I. As it set into my make up it took away the 'dewy glow' I have from it too which emphasised my dark circles.

The pot it comes in is also isn't very nice. The only positive thing I could think of is that it would probably last you a while as you only need such a tiny bit.

Boo to my wasted voucher! :(

I really love this powder. It's one of the few powders I've used that actually prevents my undereye concealer from creasing. I use NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer and all the other powders (MUFE HD Microfinish Powder and NARS Pressed Powder) did not prevent it from creasing, but with this I have no creasing!

I also think that the slight shimmer in it actually does brighten up my undereye circles and I do notice a difference after I apply it over my concealer. The shimmer can look somewhat scary on your hand or in the jar, but don't worry it really doesn't look like a disco ball when you put it on under your eyes! I've also used it to set my cream highlighter along my nose and on my forehead, and it looks nice used like this as well.