Ben Nye Neutral Set Colorless Face Powder

Ben Nye Neutral Set Colorless Face Powder
Neutral Set Colorless Face PowderNeutral Set Colorless Face PowderMy lovely Ben Nye PowdersNeutral Set Colorless Face PowderNeutral Set Colorless Face Powder

4.5

Ingredients for Colorless: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. /////////// Talc, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid.

on 3/19/2014 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My favourite powder, lasts ages, sets every foundation I've tried and lasts all day. only downside is the bottle. I paid about 8 pound for it online for it in the UK and compared it to my usual powder which I pay more than double that price for for 0.75 oz and this is a 3oz. Best value powder out there with amazing results.

on 3/5/2014 3:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This powder is serious stuff and when it works, my face stays matte all day. That being said, I've had it look fantastic and I've had it cake up. I've had it look flawless and natural, and I've also managed to look like my face was made of powder particles. It's been rather hit or miss and I suspect it has a lot to do with product interaction, how much is applied, and how long I've waited for my foundation to really dry down before applying. Although it might sound strange, I've found that properly moisturizing my face prior to application helped a lot. When it works, it really works, but it's been such a struggle to get it to work that I usually opt for my more reliable option, the Catrice Prime and Fine mattifying loose powder. I also found this to be more successful for me in the summer than in the winter, because you know, this powder comes in a massive bottle, so I've tried it in all seasons, and I'll probably have enough to last me the rest of my life.

Despite sounding on the fence about it, if you really struggle with oil control, this is worth trying. It's not going to break the bank, and as us oily gals know, we'll try anything to tame our faces. It can work. It does work. It just takes some experimentation to get there.

on 2/8/2014 2:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Sorry to be one of the only few nay-sayers to this wonderful product, but I've had FAR better results using the cheapest drugstore powder I could find, versus using this stuff to set my BB cream. No matter how I applied this powder (using blotting sheets before applying the powder, using a powder puff to apply the powder, using a powder brush to apply the powder, using a stippling brush to apply the powder, tapping off the excess, which I always do anyways, before applying, etc.), I absolutely could not stop this powder from caking HORRIBLY on me. I had to go and wash my face every time I set my make-up with this stuff because the caking was just THAT bad. Also, although I could blend out this powder onto my wrist and have it disappear completely, it very obviously lightened my BB cream by about a shade whenever I applied it onto my face (probably because I tried not to buff it too much into my face as not to displace my BB cream).

I'm so torn over this product; I've never seen a single review saying that this powder (or any other Ben Nye powder for that matter) was the least bit cakey, and I truly believe this because I've watched plenty of demos on YouTube where the people who applied this stuff had the most flawless finishes! I don't know why, but it just cakes so, so, so terribly on me. I got the Ben Nye neutral set powder from eBay from a reputable seller (spotlight_21), so I doubt authenticity is an issue here. Also, the oil control is no different from any other powder I've ever used; I still oiled up considerably by the two-hour mark. The packaging is also quite awful and messy... I really wish I hadn't spent $16 on the massive 8 oz. jar. :(

Despite how awful this stuff looks on me, I wouldn't exactly recommend NOT buying it... And I say this because I seem to be only one of an extreme minority who ends up with a really cakey finish every time I set my BB cream with this powder. For the other 99% of people who use this, this powder sets their make-up really beautifully and so, I can't exactly say not to get it... But I will recommend those who are still interested in this powder to first get a sample of this stuff that comes in a sifter jar. Not only do you have a mess-free way of testing out this powder via the sifter jar, but you also won't regret buying this stuff if you end up not liking this powder like I didn't.

on 1/29/2014 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Uugh. I'm sorry, maybe I am just too spoiled after using Mac blot.. but this does not compare.

Talc is the main ingredient here, and kaolin is the main one in Mac blot. They're uncomparable, sorry.

This makes my foundation look awful (Colorstay) and I'm oily in two or three hours. D:
Very disappointed. Back to the expensive Mac! haha. Maybeline dream matte mousse is pretty good too.

EDIT: While this is cakey over foundation, this week I've been trying it alone over my moisturizer. It seems to work better this way, so it probably depends on which foundation you're using. HOWEVER...it cakes under my eyes still, so it's not that impressive.

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Other

I've had this in the 49g pot, have had it for just under a year and have barely made a dent. It goes on beautifully and doesn't alter your make up colour at all. Makes everything stay put throughout the day and is oh so very cheap.

on 1/14/2014 2:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Perfect. This powder doesn't cake, doesn't alter tone, and sets your makeup all day. Plus its dirt cheap! The container isn't awesome but I just tap some out into an old powder cap and I'm good to go. Plus it lasts forever.

on 11/29/2013 8:15:00 AM

This is a good powder. It performs as well as higher-end products, and for significantly less money! It's a bit hard to come by, unfortunately but theatrical products shops should stock it. I've used a number of expensive powders in the past, including Giorgio Armani (loved it, though it had a slightly shiny finish), Becca (very good, great shades), Dior (very good) and Chanel (did not like it as it darkened my makeup and was too peachy). This is just neutral and translucent - no colour, no coverage. I like having one powder that is simply sheer. Will update regarding how it performs (oil control etc.).

P.S. Some reviewers are concerned about parabens; actually, the Chanel powder also has these - I would guess all powders do, since they are very common preservatives. They are present in infinitesimally small amounts in skincare, and I seriously would not worry about them. Skincare and cosmetics do not absorb through your skin anyway. (According to Paula Begoun, "In-vivo testing demonstrated parabens [in skincare were] 10,000 times weaker than naturally occurring phytoestrogens, such as those found in the foods and medicines we consume every day.")

on 11/22/2013 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Love this powder. Still doesn't quite keep me matte all day but does keep my makeup from sliding around on my face; a quick blot with blotting paper or powder and I'm good to go! Plus the price is amazing; I got a huge tub of it for about £15, which will take me ages to use up.

The only shame is about the packaging, which is a little annoying and doesn't travel well. But on the other hand if they spent more on packaging that would increase the price, and you can buy sifter jars online for not very much.

I some people have mentioned the ingredients on here, saying that it's like putting deodorant on your face, which I guess it is. What I don't get is why this is such a big deal? You put deodorant on you underarms, and the skin there is much more sensitive and thin than the skin on your face. As long as it's not irritating your skin I think the ingredients in this are fine.

on 9/13/2013 6:11:00 PM

I love this product! Before purchasing this Ben Nye powder I used MAC translucent powder comparing the two products you get a lot more of the Ben Nye powder for less than half of what you would pay for the MAC powder. I paid about $8 for the 1.75g container and I have had this for over a month and am not even half way through it! Trust me when I say the smallest amount goes along way. The thing I love most about this product besides the price is that it doesn't leave you with a white cast on your face and you literally apply it once and you won't need to retouch your make up allday. Since Ben Nye is used for theatrical purposes when you sweat your make up won't smudge or go anywhere. I have purchased almost all of the Ben Nye powders and was impressed with everyone of them. Just give you an idea of how much product your getting for your money with the translucent powder the largest size they sell is an 8 oz. jar which retails for only $13 talk about a deal!

on 9/8/2013 6:59:00 AM

I absolutely love this setting powder. It sets your make-up lightly without getting cakey or heavy. I have tried them all; Nars, MUFE, Tarte, etc. and this is so much cheaper and does a better job.

I found that Tarte and MUFE gave me a white cast no matter how little I used, so I would always have to go back and touch up my blush and bronzer because I looked washed out. That doesn't happen with Neutral Set. It gives my complexion a flawless finish (and trust me, it isn't!), my pores disappear and my make-up stays put.

A huge bottle of this is only $14 and lasts forever so that is less than half of what any of the higher end setting powders run and you get more than twice the amount of product. It is available on-line through numerous retailers but I live in the Houston area and am fortunate to have two theatrical costumers in the area and they always have this on-hand.