Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder

Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder
Neutral Set translucent powderNeutral Set translucent powderMy lovely Ben Nye PowdersNeutral Set translucent powder

4.5

Ingredients for Colorless: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. /////////// Talc, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid.

on 1/29/2014 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Uugh. I'm sorry, maybe I am just too spoiled after using Mac blot.. but this does not compare.

Talc is the main ingredient here, and kaolin is the main one in Mac blot. They're uncomparable, sorry.

This makes my foundation look awful (Colorstay) and I'm oily in two or three hours. D:
Very disappointed. Back to the expensive Mac! haha. Maybeline dream matte mousse is pretty good too.

EDIT: While this is cakey over foundation, this week I've been trying it alone over my moisturizer. It seems to work better this way, so it probably depends on which foundation you're using. HOWEVER...it cakes under my eyes still, so it's not that impressive.

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Other

I've had this in the 49g pot, have had it for just under a year and have barely made a dent. It goes on beautifully and doesn't alter your make up colour at all. Makes everything stay put throughout the day and is oh so very cheap.

on 11/29/2013 8:15:00 AM

This is a good powder. It performs as well as higher-end products, and for significantly less money! It's a bit hard to come by, unfortunately but theatrical products shops should stock it. I've used a number of expensive powders in the past, including Giorgio Armani (loved it, though it had a slightly shiny finish), Becca (very good, great shades), Dior (very good) and Chanel (did not like it as it darkened my makeup and was too peachy). This is just neutral and translucent - no colour, no coverage. I like having one powder that is simply sheer. Will update regarding how it performs (oil control etc.).

P.S. Some reviewers are concerned about parabens; actually, the Chanel powder also has these - I would guess all powders do, since they are very common preservatives. They are present in infinitesimally small amounts in skincare, and I seriously would not worry about them. Skincare and cosmetics do not absorb through your skin anyway. (According to Paula Begoun, "In-vivo testing demonstrated parabens [in skincare were] 10,000 times weaker than naturally occurring phytoestrogens, such as those found in the foods and medicines we consume every day.")

on 11/22/2013 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Love this powder. Still doesn't quite keep me matte all day but does keep my makeup from sliding around on my face; a quick blot with blotting paper or powder and I'm good to go! Plus the price is amazing; I got a huge tub of it for about £15, which will take me ages to use up.

The only shame is about the packaging, which is a little annoying and doesn't travel well. But on the other hand if they spent more on packaging that would increase the price, and you can buy sifter jars online for not very much.

I some people have mentioned the ingredients on here, saying that it's like putting deodorant on your face, which I guess it is. What I don't get is why this is such a big deal? You put deodorant on you underarms, and the skin there is much more sensitive and thin than the skin on your face. As long as it's not irritating your skin I think the ingredients in this are fine.

on 9/13/2013 6:11:00 PM

I love this product! Before purchasing this Ben Nye powder I used MAC translucent powder comparing the two products you get a lot more of the Ben Nye powder for less than half of what you would pay for the MAC powder. I paid about $8 for the 1.75g container and I have had this for over a month and am not even half way through it! Trust me when I say the smallest amount goes along way. The thing I love most about this product besides the price is that it doesn't leave you with a white cast on your face and you literally apply it once and you won't need to retouch your make up allday. Since Ben Nye is used for theatrical purposes when you sweat your make up won't smudge or go anywhere. I have purchased almost all of the Ben Nye powders and was impressed with everyone of them. Just give you an idea of how much product your getting for your money with the translucent powder the largest size they sell is an 8 oz. jar which retails for only $13 talk about a deal!

on 1/14/2014 2:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Perfect. This powder doesn't cake, doesn't alter tone, and sets your makeup all day. Plus its dirt cheap! The container isn't awesome but I just tap some out into an old powder cap and I'm good to go. Plus it lasts forever.

on 4/21/2013 4:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Considering that I got this product with my school kit, I probably will buy it for the sake of clients but when it come to using this on my own face, I find it irritating.

I ended up switching over to 'Estee Lauder' - Lucidity Translucent Loose Powder because it's the only product that I haven't reacted to yet despite the price.

The packaging is good, just be cautious not to spill out too much and always brush your face with a large clean brush to get rid of excess powder.

on 7/18/2013 8:22:00 PM

Thank you MUA!! NC 25/30 here. I was all set to splurge on Nars light reflecting powder, but decided to look here for a cheaper alternative (setting powders and mascara are two things that I don't like to spend much money on). I'm not saying that this is a dupe of Nars' (and this isn't a comparison review, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two on my face, other than maybe, just maybe the Nars is a bit more brightening??). Anyhow, very impressed by this product. It does everything I want a setting powder to do, and a bit more. It's extremely finely milled, and can go up against any expensive face powder, is not cakey or powdery and looks like nothing on, except that my face looks more "finished" and my skin just a bit nicer. It may initially lighten my face by a tiny fraction, though all face powders seem to do that to me. I got the translucent one/which looks white but fear not, it really is translucent. I have slightly oily skin, and this lasts me at least 4-5 hours, though frankly looking a bit "dewy" by the end of the day doesn't bother me much (I just use blotting sheets if necessary). Not sure how this would work on very oily skin, but I think that if you have normal/dry or normal/oily skin, you'll be happy with this. I got this at a costume shop which has a smattering of stage makeup, though you can easily find it online. Still dirt cheap even including shipping cost (about $6-8 for 1.75 oz -- about 5 times the size of department store loose powders--usually about .33 oz or less). Everyone else has talked about the lousy packaging... I will just transfer it to one of my nice empty powder boxes. In short, highly recommended.

PS--a few people here mentioned that it has parabens...I haven't bothered to check but thought I should mention.

on 9/8/2013 6:59:00 AM

I absolutely love this setting powder. It sets your make-up lightly without getting cakey or heavy. I have tried them all; Nars, MUFE, Tarte, etc. and this is so much cheaper and does a better job.

I found that Tarte and MUFE gave me a white cast no matter how little I used, so I would always have to go back and touch up my blush and bronzer because I looked washed out. That doesn't happen with Neutral Set. It gives my complexion a flawless finish (and trust me, it isn't!), my pores disappear and my make-up stays put.

A huge bottle of this is only $14 and lasts forever so that is less than half of what any of the higher end setting powders run and you get more than twice the amount of product. It is available on-line through numerous retailers but I live in the Houston area and am fortunate to have two theatrical costumers in the area and they always have this on-hand.

As a theatre kid, I swear by Ben Nye. I even use it as my everyday makeup, instead of just for when I'm on stage. That being said, this powder is a gift from The Lord himself, it's not to heavy, it mattes me out like nobodies business, and it pales down my foundation juuuuust the right amount so that it blends into my albino white girl skin. The packaging could use a bit of work, but all in all it's a staple in my kit at all times.