Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

3.4

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I was looking for the cheaper alternative to my Holy Grail Jan Marini Bioclear Lotion (hyaluronic acid, salicylic acid and azelaic acid) to keep my complexion clear and bright.
So this is one of the product I've purchased. It's a very bad choice for me.
The texture was quite matte (due to the silicone) and it's not hydrating at all. I applied their Hyaluronic serum prior to using this but it didn't work. In fact my cheeks were strangely dry and tight whenever I use it. As a result my makeup was cloudy right after 2 hours and any primer won't help at all.
It might work for super oily and young lady skin.. but for dehydrated acne prone combination skin in late 20s this is not working for me.

on 5/5/2017 7:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Somewhat dried out some existing inflammatory breakouts I was experiencing, but broke me out everywhere else and left my skin very red. I don't do well with silicones so this wasn't a huge surprise, but I was hoping that at least one product I'd ordered from The Ordinary would work as intended...

on 4/26/2017 8:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Fingers crossed this is the miracle I've been waiting for. Three days is when I usually start feeling the prickling and creeping of new irritation as my rosacea gets worse with new products. I'll admit that I have been terrified of the silicones in face products as they badly affect my hair and scalp - but my face seems to love them. (Hydraluron Jelly and Neuteogena Hydroboost play very nicely with this product, btw). I am hoping it will help stave off more perioral dermatitis as well. So far this sits nicely under foundation, but I have only used a powder mineral one so far. I'm impressed!!!

on 4/22/2017 6:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

Love this stuff, just love it. I'm 56, with a tendency towards hyperpigmentation, and applying this serum to my skin every other day after my morning cleanse very obviously reduces redness and amps up skin brightness. The product has a gel-like consistency, a nice silky texture, and no noticeable fragrance.

I've almost used up one tube of this product and just repurchased it — it's a winner in my books.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this to help clear up some dark spots and some little acne bumps. My skin is very dry and sensitive and I did not know this had silicones in it. Long story short after a couple of days I broke out. A week later I looked worse with break outs. Sadly this did not work for me I think it was the silicones.

on 4/18/2017 6:06:00 AM

My skin is combination and very sensitive. I was worried that my sin won't agree with this product but I was wrong. I use only at night before I go to bed. My skin is very sensitive so using it twice a day would be too much. I have done it few times and noticed that my skin was a bit dry. I apply facial oil & moisturizer on top of it and have no problem with any kind of peeling or rubbing (many people mentioned this). I will advise that after putting the azelaic acid on your face, gently pat your moisturizer in to your skin. Don't massage. This is what I do and it works great. Great product. Big thumb up for the price!

on 4/13/2017 9:38:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Background: I have dry, sensitive, and rosacea-prone skin that is starting to show lines under eyes when I smile.

I have been using this product off and on for the past 2 months. It's something I really wanted to like because I have been interested in azelaic acid for quite sometime now (supposed to be very good for reducing rosacea-related redness). But alas, I don't like this particular product for my skin.

I'm currently following an Asian skincare-inspired routine. So I pay close attention to a product's texture, active ingredients, and pH level to determine which step I will use it.

Azelaic acid is what I consider an active. So I would put it on right after my double cleansing, and before anything​ else. But I can't with this one because it's silicone-based and would prevent other products from being absorbed into my skin.

So I've been putting it on after my essence & serum, but before any moisturizers (lotion / oil / cream / etc). But it was still problematic there. It left my skin feeling so dry, and pilled easily when I layered moisturizers​ on top.

I know some people use this during the day sort of as a makeup primer because of the silicone, but I am a little leary about using an acid during the day (personal preference).

So as much as I wanted to like this product, I just couldn't make it work for me. But it may work very well for someone with normal or oilier skin.

on 3/14/2017 10:05:00 AM

I'm pretty into this product. This is my first time trying Azelaic acid. It's a thick-ish white lotion packaged in a 30mL bare-bones squeeze tube. It has Dimethicone high up in the ingredients list, so keep an eye out if you're sensitive. I appreciate that though because this is honestly an amazing primer. It smooths and keeps me matte for hours! So that's a nice side effect. Other than that, I have noticed that the addition of this to my litany of chemical exfoliators (I probably need to take it down a notch tbh) has definitely helped my skin become more even and refined. I like this better than the Ordinary's Lactic Acid, and while I LOVE LOVE their Retinoid, that serves a different purpose.

I have noticed that you need to layer this properly - it can ball up when used with certain other products (ahem, the Ordinary Vit C suspension, looking at you). But it's mostly the other products not working well with IT, not vice versa.

This little tube of goodness is less than $8 - the reason I've never tried Azelaic acid before is that I haven't seen it offered in anything affordable, so I'm really happy I get to try it. I will definitely keep buying and using this.

Note of possible importance: Azelaic acid is derived from wheat (also rye and barley). I was nervous that since I have a gluten sensitivity and celiac runs in my family that somehow I would experience adverse effects - but no, nothing!

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Skin type: sensitive dehydrated acne-prone skin, oily t-zone and dry cheeks that can get flaky when I go too crazy with acids (sounds lovely I know)

Currently really liking this one! I found it helped heal some of the congestion in my skin, as well as some minor breakouts. Definitely see some slight brightening effects from this, although I am using in conjunction with other brightening products. I'm so glad The Ordinary came out with an affordable azelaic acid, it's pretty hard to find in Canada. I didn't have any initial breakout with this, and I usually have some sort of initial breakout when start a new product (just my weird skin which doesn't do well with change). The one thing I don't really like with this product is the weird matte, primer-like texture, which I assume is because of the silicones. Some of my skincare products don't layer well over it, but I don't really want to put it as my last step cause it feels like it won't absorb as well. I haven't had any issues using it under my bb creams/ foundations, which all have satin or semi-matte finishes.

Overall a great product for acne-prone skin, and I am definitely repurchasing this!

Edit: updated to 5 stars, this is seriously helping smooth over my textured skin! A lot of my pitted scars are evening out and I'm pretty sure it's this particular acid that's doing most of the work. Will repurchase forever and I hope they never discontinue this!

on 3/17/2017 5:06:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is yet another good product from The Ordinary. I apply it in the morning then their Matrixyl and my mu applies beautifully- no pilling just lovely smooth skin. Whatever it's doing my skin likes it and I've not had a breakout since using.