Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.3

on 7/16/2017 10:59:00 PM

I have used 1% trentinoin in the past and my skin went crazy for about a month afterwards just gettinf used to it/purging. with this formula from The Ordinary, there is none of that purging. My skin didn't break out but it just worked to create smooth skin right from the first use. 2 drops is enough to cover my entire face. There is no smell and it is a milky formula that glides on easily. I have been using this for a month and a half. These usually take a while longer to see more dramatic results. But so far my skin has smoothed out and some shallow lines have softened out.

This is a great product and I highly recommend it. It delivers great results just after few uses and after 2 weeks I can see my skin improved a lot.

This worked wonders for my skin, dealt with my spots perfectly.

on 7/8/2017 4:25:00 PM

Deciem/The Ordinary currently offer 2 retinol products (the 1% Retinol Emulsion and this one - the Advanced Retinoid 2%). The 1% is actually the stronger of the two because of the difference in ingredients (retinol vs retinoid).

I found perhaps the best review I've ever read of all The Ordinary’s products on a U.K. website called Victoria Health (https://www.victoriahealth.com/editorial/the-ordinary-the-definitive-review-1).

And in their words:
“There is a big difference between a retinoid and retinol, which is why the [2%] product is more gentle than the [1%] retinol despite being double the strength.
Retinoid esters (like those in the 2% product) are structurally larger, so they take longer to be absorbed into the skin, which is what makes the ingredient so non-irritating”.

Most prescription retinols come in roughly these strengths (in order of potency);

0.01%, 0.025%, 0.050% and finally the 0.1% (or 1%).

So The Ordinary’s 1% product is equivalent (in retinol strength) to the strongest of the RetinA’s, therefore if you haven't used retinols before, bear in mind you're jumping in at the very deepest end with that one, and will more than likely be flaky, peeling, red and inflamed for the best part of a week. With retinols you have to work up SLOWLY (some dermatologists advise 3-4 months on each strength).

If you're new to retinols or want something a little less aggressive this 2% is very effective but still gentle and non-irritating.

To the product itself - it's a milky fluid easily added to other products, or used alone. I use it either undiluted as a first layer, or sometimes will add 3-4 drops mixed in with my moisturiser, three or four times a week. Used either way (for me anyway) it's very gentle and I experienced no shedding, flaking or peeling whatsoever.

The Ordinary state that their 2% Advanced Retinoid is superior and less irritating than the 1%, saying:

“The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% contains two actives [and] offers a multi-fold better effect against signs of ageing than retinol, retinyl palmitate and nearly all other forms of non-prescription retinoid. Both forms of retinoid used [in the 2%] avoid the irritation associated with retinol use while delivering better visible results”.

I’ve had a very basic Aveeno Positively Radiant moisturiser sitting in the cupboard for a year that I've never liked that much. It was always too thick (though that's probably not a bad thing for winter). In trying to use it up I added some warm water and a good shake to wash down the product from inside the bottle (which vastly improved its consistency). But adding just 3-4 drops of Advanced Retinoid to it prior to each use not only gives it some muscle, but turns it into THE creamiest, most easily absorbed, beautiful and nourishing lotion (that I'm almost tempted to buy another bottle because they mix so perfectly).
This is where The Ordinary products really shine and come into their own. They “power up” other more basic formulations.

So now having used both of The Ordinary’s retinol products, it would appear (from my own experience) that the 2% is less irritating and I had no shedding at all with that product, and it's gentle enough to use every second day.
The 1% caused a full shedding 48 hours later (which is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as I know it's coming. It just takes 3 or 4 more days to resolve itself which can be a bit of a pain). Other than that I like the idea of having a simple product on hand that can initiate a mini at-home peel when I feel my skin is in need of it, so I'll keep and continue to use both.

PS:
Retinoids will make your skin more sensitive to the sun, so they should only be used at night (& obviously use SPF during the day). But there's also some evidence that retinoids break down and turn toxic in sunlight (hence the dark bottles) and another reason why their use should be restricted to nighttime only.

on 7/6/2017 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

this is pretty decent, i will keep purchasing it. it is definitely the best product i've tried so far from the ordinary. the first time i used it there were noticeable results the next morning. although the effect hasn't continued to be as dramatic, i do feel that my skin is in a better condition from using it.

I stumbled across this product looking for an alternative to a more expensive retinoid product (Sunday Riley Luna). I love everything about this product! My skin has never looked so healthy. This product has improved my texture issues, decreased breakouts, and made my skin look plump and hydrated. I could not ask for anything more. And the price is incredible!

on 7/4/2017 10:04:00 AM

I've been using this every other day now for about maybe 2 weeks. I don't see any difference with my pores, texture/lines or my milia going away. All I can say, is that it has given me a slight glow when I wake up and does not irritate my skin at all, but it did broke me out at first. I will try it a few more weeks and see how it goes.
And another thing...there's something dodgy with the top squeezer when I squeeze it, only bubbles form out unless I shake it...disappointed.

on 7/1/2017 10:05:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

yep love this. Helped me cure my hormonal acne! thank you so much Deciem!

on 6/25/2017 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I tried a lot of products from the Ordinary due to its price point. This is one of my favorite products hands down. I've tried a lot of retinoid products, this is the only one that not only packs a punch but is also non-irritating. My skin is very tolerant to retinoids so i'm not sure how sensitive skin users would like this product but for my acne prone, combination skin, this is great. I would recommend to anyone who is acne prone but wants a treatment serum which also has hydration.

on 6/21/2017 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

So good, non-irritating, and very well priced!