Curology - Acne Treatment

Curology - Acne Treatment

4.3

fka PocketDerm

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Fine program if your skin falls within the parameters of their range of formulas. I used tret/azelaic/clindamycin). However, the base clogged and the azelaic burned me. Because it was bundled I had stop all 3 treatments. It's all packed into one creamy gel. And if the creamy gel is too rich for your skin you are out of luck. Interactions with dr / customer service was fine but a bit rote. Again, a fine deal if it works for you. As always, all things skincare are ymmv.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love Pocketderm. I have cystic acne with white bumps all around my nose. My derm prescribed me my own medication and then answered all the questions I had about soap, moisturizers, sunscreens, etc. With the medication and soap (St. Ives apricot scrub) it has really cleared up my skin. It did take about 4 months though, so patience is key!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I heard about this service from several blogs and decided to give it a try. I am 40 years old and have struggled with hormonal acne for many years. I have been on BCP, which helped, but have recently stopped. I started having breakouts on the tops of my cheeks and forehead (which I never had before). I have tried over the counter products, but nothing was working. I had tried RAM in the past, but never was consistent with it. I have also used Clindamycin with good results, but did not want the $150 derm apt and $60 meds. After finding a code for free first month, I sent pictures (from my iphone) in for a derm to check out. She wrote back quickly and suggested a treatment of .018 tretinoin, 1%clindamycin, and 8% azalaic acid. I was skeptical since I had used tretinoin with a much higher percentage in the past, but she assured me the formula would work differently. I received it in about 4 days and began using each night. The breakouts were worse. They were able to be covered by makeup, and not as severe as most, but it was a lot to me. I contacted her one month into it, and she suggested a special soap and adding B6. I did, and still broke out more after the second month. The beginning of the third she suggested using every other night and added Spironolactone from the pharmacy (she called it in). Month four I am breaking out less, but still have a few spots on my cheeks. I will continue to use and see what long term benefits I receive. I pay $20 a month, which is less that I would pay with a prescription from a pharmacy. I know many people experience clearer skin quicker, but I have not. I am very pleased with the service from my PocketDerm derm, Nancy Satur, and would suggest anyone to give it a try (unless you can get better prices from your pharmacy and derm).

UPDATE: After several months and no improvement I went to see an in person derm. She told me that the 25mg spiro was not enough and that normally 100mg is prescribed for oilier acne prone skin. She also prescribed Minicycline, which caused debliltating dizziness then switched me to Bactrim 2x per day which stopped all side effects. She prescribed Epi Duo at night and after using this combo for 1 week my skin is mostly clear and I have not broken out during my cycle! I know that the antibiotics are NOT a long term "cure", so I am happy that the EpiDuo is working also. Unfortunately Pocket Derm did not work for my hormonal acne as I had hoped. My in person dermatologist did say it was a great formula though. She just added that I needed more spiro and an antibiotic to gain some ground on breakouts. Oh, I have hear some say that one needs a blood test for spiro--I did not. Maybe its my age (40).

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

First, let me say that this is an incredible idea and fantastic service. Everyone I dealt with at Pocket Derm was helpful and informative, which anyone who has ever tried to find a good derm will tell you is definitely not par for the course in the field of dermatology. The service was easy to use, the doctors responsive, and the product arrived quickly and with clear instructions. At $20 a month, I think that this is a really great option for a lot of people.

I sent three photos (no makeup - I actually realized how low my self esteem had gotten when I went to take these, because it was incredibly difficult for me to do) that I had taken on my phone to Pocket Derm through their website, and my doctor prescribed me a custom blend of treatments that was sent to me by a compounding pharmacist. I love the idea of having a treatment that is specifically created for your skin issues. It arrived in a pretty frosted plastic bottle, which lasted me a little less than two months (you can reorder based on how often you go through everything). I applied it once every night to my problem areas. I never experienced irritation, which was amazing after dealing with Epiduo, which is incredibly harsh, for the better part of a year. My skin certainly did not get any worse when I was on it, and I think that certain inflammation and discoloration definitely did approve.

I ended up going off of PocketDerm and finding a derm in my city because I wasn't seeing the results I wanted. I was still breaking out frequently, which my PD doctor said was a result of purging. However, after three full months on this (after almost a year of being on Epiduo, which has adapalene and similarly clears out pores), I felt like I needed to be seeing better results. I was told to wait it out a bit, which I had planned to do. However, I ended up going in to see a new derm in person to get a cortisone shot on two really bad cystic spots, and she mentioned that I probably needed an oral medication such as spironolactone, as my acne is clearly hormonal and topicals can't do anything preventative when the issue is internal. I feel like this is something that my PocketDerm doctor probably should have identified straight away - given the placement and type of breakout I was getting.

I know that people have gotten spiro prescriptions through PocketDerm, but this was never offered as an option for me, and I felt better about the fact that my in-person derm keeps track of potassium levels and blood pressure (both things that spiro affects). And so I made the decision to cancel my PocketDerm account, and started with a new derm to go back on Epiduo and also add spiro. The spiro, so far, as been incredible and it's frustrating to think that I went so long without it.

I believe the positive experiences that people have had with PocketDerm and do think that it's worth a try if OTC is just not cutting it and you don't have access to a derm who you trust. Treating acne is a lot of trial and error, and I am glad that I tried this (and will forever by in dept to them for suggesting using hydrocolloid bandages on popped spots).