Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette
Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.6

I had high hopes for this. I am at pan with my Viseart and the KVD is cheaper but has most of the colors I needed. Plus I love my KVD contour palette. Sadly - this shadow does not touch the Viseart. It's chalky, fallout sucks and the payload is not that great. Makes me sad. I like the packaging - and the price was right. So I'm returning it and sucking it up to replace my Viseart.

on 11/24/2016 1:23:00 AM

Love love love Kay Von D this pallet has everything you could possibly need so many looks and the pigmentation perfection highly recommend

on 11/20/2016 10:38:00 PM

I've been having trouble making this palette work for me 100%. It works, the colours are fine and the quality is there but I can't seem to pull off a full matte look. The reviewer below me made me realize I can use this palette for crease and transition shades to use with the rest of my collection ( I have too many metallics, glitter and shimmers and not enough mattes) Now I'm going to get much more use out of it!

on 11/15/2016 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I had a drawer full of shimmer & metallic eyeshadows that went mostly unused for a long while because I had very few mattes for crease/transition shades to use along with them. I decided to do something about it and buy this all-matte palette. Am I ever glad I did, holy moly.

The shades are put into 3 quads - neutral, cool, and warm - each containing 1 base shade, 1 contour, 1 define, and 1 highlight shade. The shades are very versatile, so now I can use pretty much every single shimmer shadow I own. Problem solved! I also find that you can mix and match from each quad without the colours clashing.
One thing I absolutely LOVE is that they actually used a much larger pan for the base colours! So there will be no hitting pan on those shades first while all the other shades are mostly full. I hate when that happens, so I am very pleased about this!
The formula is very blendable and I did not notice any kick-up or fallout. Super long-wearing with my usual primers. Pigmentation is most definitely there. It's weird because it shows up so intensely on my lid even though the swatches on my inner arm looked average. I was super surprised by how fantastic the pigment is on the lid.

The packaging is gorgeous and the mirror is perfect. I can see my whole face in it at a comfortable distance. Stays closed nice and securely. Feels sturdy, like I wouldn't be afraid to travel with it. Seriously though, it's so beautiful and looks awesome on my vanity.

Price is on par with most other palettes I own. A small investment but well worth it. I'm gonna get so much use out of this. If i could give it 10 lippies I would!

on 11/12/2016 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

The palette itself is laid out in a user-friendly manner, with three functional "quads" - one more neutral, one cooler, one warmer. You can mix and match across the board, but the way the shades are arranged makes the palette very accessible for a makeup newbie trying to build a cohesive eye look.
The shades are matte, with the three palest having an incredibly subtle satin finish, barely perceptible as a sheen once applied.
These strike a near-perfect balance between smooth and dense. I had no issues getting these eye shadows to do what I wanted them to do. Haze out a soft transition... Easy. Build up a serious smokey eye... No problem. Deepen a crease with perfect accuracy, or soften the edge of a winged eyeliner... Done and done.

on 11/23/2016 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I absolutely love nude/neutral colours so this was definitely a must have. I am still getting used to applying it according to the instructions but i am slowly getting better. Amazing colour selection, beautiful classy packaging. A must have for 'eye contour' fans.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

~squee~
yes i really did that.

this eye palette is amazing. it's purely matte, so if you're looking for something that doesn't shimmer and shine, this is for you. you can do a neutral day eye, or a bold smokey eye with this with hardly any effort at all. the colors are rich and pigmented and blend easily. i find that even though it looks pretty basic, i have created a lot of different looks with it!

on 10/28/2016 11:35:00 AM

SHADES. This was my first pallet ever. I learned to apply and blend eyeshadows with this and I think it's great for people who are just starting out. The colors are easy to use for everyday, be it an office or university. The shade selection is great because you can discover what type of shades look best on you and experiment with them. I personally love warm colors, so I use Laetus and Lucius the most. But I think Ludwin, Latinus and Sytry look great on everyone.

FORMULA. They are very pigmented, soft and easy to blend, which I find is great for beginners just like me. I haven't experience any fallout though I have read some people have. They last all day with a primer, but I find they do fade if I forget to use one. All in all I think this is a great product and is versatile enough for a neutral/brown pallet.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I use the palette every day. If you're at the point where you're developing fine lines and other problems that just come with age (mine are very minor, slight cross-hatching under my eyes and near my upper lashes when you're really close up) and you just don't want to bring attention to them, matte shadows are for you.

These are very pigmented, and require a light hand. I don't find them particularly difficult to blend, even when my UD eye primer on. They last all day, even without primer.

There will be fallout. It makes no difference to me, as I have always done my eyes before applying my foundation to the face. Why? Because then fallout is irrelevant to my life. But in fairness, I took off half a lippy for the fallout factor. I do not find them to be 'chalky'. I've had my fair share of crappy, chalky drug-store products and this is NOT chalky.

I took off an additional half-lippy because two of the browns to swatch very similarly once on the eye, and that's a shame bc they did so well otherwise. I've been able to create one five-minute everyday look, and after playing around a bit, I can put together 4 to 5 obviously different looks and probably another 2 that start to overlap. Keep in mind, this is a neutral palette, and I am not a makeup guru, so I would consider that a pretty good selection of looks. If it matters, since I got this palette my husband has commented on how he can't figure what I'm doing differently, but how nice my eyes look. I also consider this a win for this palette.

My daughter also has this, and she likes it as a neutral palette, though she finds it more limiting than I do. She still uses it as a shape and contour most days, and fills in her 'look' with some more colourful/shimmery palettes.

So it functions really well as both a primary palette (me) or a contour palette (her).

on 9/28/2016 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Okay... The packaging got me to buy it, however, these colors y'all!!! They are gorgeous, but you need to be kind and gentle or else it can get very dramatic very quickly. Such amazing shadows, easy to blend, SICK PIGMENTATION... Just an overall awesome palette if you're like me and don't want any shimmer or any colors in your everyday makeup routine. Everyone will find something they like in this palette, and I've definitely found my favorites in lazarus in the crease, laetus on the lid samael in the crease and outer v, and sytry to smoke it all out! Would definitely buy only these colour again, since they are the most used in the palette.

If you are thinking about it: BUY IT!