Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Not so nice

on 4/1/2016 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have to preface my first perfume review with this: I'm not a perfume expert. I don't profess to be knowledgeable on perfumes as I am about skincare/makeup. At best, I'm just someone who likes to have fun with beauty-related things and doesn't have intense knowledge of the subject, but this is the first perfume to really captivate my interest on the regular.

According to the Sephora website, YSL Black Opium is listed as having the following as notes: "Coffee Accord, Orange Blossom, Cedarwood Essence, Patchouli Essense." Now, to my limited understanding, certain notes hit everyone different because of the makeup of chemicals in your skin. Some people might have stronger patchouli notes, others coffee, etc. On me, the orange blossom is particularly strong at first before going into a mix of the cedarwood and an almost vanilla smell, which is a good thing as I'm not particularly fond of patchouli. I do not get any of the coffee notes.

The longevity of this is so-so for me. It lasts for a good 15-20 minutes before only lightly remaining, though, even if it's barely there, I can still smell it on me if I hold my wrist up to my nose about 7 hours later. When I initially spray it, I do find myself getting a lot of compliments on it.

While this is my favorite perfume I own, I don't wear it every day. For me, it's something I wear for if I need to get ramped up for something professional (presentation, big bosses are visiting, etc.) or romantic (date night, etc.) I am just about finished with the travel spray version, but have already purchased the 1 oz. version.

on 2/29/2016 1:33:00 AM

Smells great for about ten minutes...then it fades. After an hour, the scent is gone. Awesome, huh, for such expensive stuff? Yea, right.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I need to be fair and state that this is not related to the original Opium in the least, however that does not mean this isn't pleasant. I own both the original Opium and Opium Black and can find merit in both. To me this reads like a very sweet orange blossom and jasmine fragrance layered over vanilla, a dash of coffee and wood. The scent is similar in some aspects to the orange blossom in Armani Code and is gourmand in nature like Angel. If you love orange blossom and sweet vanilla fragrances you will likely love this: however if you are looking for an incense laden, noir, spice bomb look elsewhere!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I got a tester that was enough for me to try it about 5 times. Well, it is sexy and fun. BUT. It disappears very quickly and the very last note that lingers around feels totally fake and synthetic (this was the deal breaker for me). It is exactly the note you can smell in a Warm vanilla Sugar by Bath and Body Works, which is about 10 times cheaper, if not more. I don't mind the price, but I don't want to smell like half of women out there. Going back to Chanel Mademoiselle EDT (not EDP)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got a sample of this at Sephora. I adore this scent. On me it doesn't put off as too sweet. It's a good combination of sweet and warm. I've tried flower bomb and it is similar but with my body chemistry YSL just smells better. Love it. I recommend getting a sample and try it.

on 2/20/2016 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This has become my "school fragrance", a perfume I wear when I go to school, because it stays close to the skin. It has somehow grew on me, I like the sweet scent, the vanilla, patchouli and cedar, topped with jasmine are really a nice blend and the pear and orange blossom give it a little "lift". It's not a unique scent, but very likeable, warm, sweet and feminine and goes well with my body chemistry. However, I can't seem to smell the coffee in this one, even though it's stated that it's one of the dominating scents in this fragrance. It is not my signature fragrance, which is Serge Lutens "un bois vanille", but it's good to switch now and then. So it's 4 lippies from me =)

UPDATE: I developed a horrid allergic reaction from this perfume. After several months of usage I suddenly end up with a red itchy rash on my neck and wrists (exactly where I put it), so I had to return it. It took me a month until the rash was gone (despite using medicated prescpripted cream).

The EDP of this stays on my skin like no other, I am surprised that people have a problem with longevity? Maybe it's just my skin.
This perfume comes in a really pretty bottle and I expected something darker, mysterious but all it is is a comfy, sweet scent. Nothing special at all and definitely not worthy of the Opium name. Just a sweet little thing that's great for cozying up with your significant other on a cold night. Not bad but not great either.

So I ordered the rollerball on Sephora.com because I was so sure that this was going to become a favorite of mine. I remembered smelling it at a counter when I went out of town, but never bothered to actually spritz a little on myself--forgetting that the smell would change a little once on the skin... Now I don't think the scent is bad, but I do think it's very mediocre. It's actually very similar to Lancome's 'La Vie Belle', which is almost a carbon copy of Flowerbomb (When I smell them one after the other anyway.

on 1/17/2016 9:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is slowly becoming my signature scent, and I absolutely love it (despite the price...)

Popular Fragrances