Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.3

on 2/20/2008 10:10:00 AM

I initially tried this as an eau de toilette and liked it. Then I bought a vintage bottle of parfum and was captivated by it. While the topnotes are very subdued in my bottle (partly due to its age I would imagine), the drydown is glorious. It has the very obvious Guerlain base, with some of the animalic qualities of Jicky, but with a deep resinous woody character as well. I noticed the Iris when I wore it first, but the notes are blended in such a way that I am much more conscious of the entire composition than anything else. It is as if the notes merely add various facets to the fragrance without drawing attention to themselves individually. I would advise caution in the application of this fragrance. A little can be very tantalising, but it doesn't take a lot for it to be annoying -even though the smell might not be too strong. With just the right amount, I believe it is one of the most sensual Guerlains.

on 1/23/2008 10:56:00 PM

Though I own many, many scents, this is my signature fragrance. It is soft without being powdery, spicy in a warm, unaggressive way, and yet also evokes a bit of melancholy. It is deeply feminine; it is the perfume of a woman who knows her own heart and mind. I have never found another fragrance that is so evocative. I wear the EDT and find that it does have moderate staying power. I do not think the parfum has the same depth, although I will occasionally wear a bit on my pulse points in combination with the EDT to increase the staying power.

on 12/30/2007 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This review is for the parfum version of Vol de Nuit. It is unfortunate for me that the Guerlains in general all appear to have quite a bit of trouble rising and evolving on my skin into anything more than a mishmash of notes. Vol de Nuit is no exception, which is so unfortunate for me, and will certainly end my quest into the depths of the Guerlain collection. I am able to pull out of the whole thing a warm leather, and an impression of a powdery iris, but other than that the whole thing has a green, sharp tone to it as well that clouds out the rest of the scent. It is, as I have noticed with the other Guerlains, a powdery Emeraude-esque feel that is a turn off in general.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

I'm trying hard to square my experience of Vol de Nuit with some of the descriptions you ladies give, but it just isn't happening... To me it's not vintage glamour, or taupe velvet, or austere and magisterial; to me Vol de Nuit smells of babies - whisper-soft lemon and lavender, with a gentle dusting of powder. Ladies, you know when men say things like "I hate perfume" but you can't bear the thought of not wearing any when you're with him? Reach for this. He won't think "perfume", he'll just think clean, soft and snuggleable. I love this right out of the shower and into bed, it's so comforting and cozy, like a favourite blanket. And "snuggleable" IS so a word. ;-)

on 11/17/2007 11:40:00 PM

Wow! This is a quiet, soft scent. Very beautiful and fleeting initially powdery then dries down to a lovely clean skin scent. I love the EDT. It is uncommon....

It's musty, yet warm & spicy. In a way, this is like a cross between Passage d'Enfer and Chinatown.

on 2/2/2007 11:19:00 PM

Much too soapy on me. My husband said it smelled like Old Spice.

on 8/5/2007 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Thanks to the lovely lady, Jill, who made me a huge decant of this a swap, I got to try this fragrance once again. I could burst out into poetry over this, but I will spare you :). It's amazing. It makes me think of velvet, a heavy and incredibly soft fur coat, fresh pipe tobacco, dark red roses and old-fashioned face powder all in one. It conveys the same feeling as Guerlain's masculine masterpiece, Habit Rouge softness, darkness, quietude. Even in EdT form VdN is quite tenacious on me, despite my dry skin. It's expensive, yes, but for the individualist who is looking for a perfume that stands out in a crowd of generic florals, VdN is worth every penny.

on 7/24/2007 8:26:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This gets 3 points for history and no points for wearablility on my skin. It turns very nasty and old fashioned on me. Very much a greenish, dusty chypre that can knock birds out of the air at ten paces, even though it stays close to the skin. I'm glad some people can wear this, but I'm unfortunately not one of them. Sample this first, ladies, before buying.

on 8/6/2007 4:32:00 PM

I know many people like this, but when I put it on it turns into a medicinal kind of onion smell! I love several Guerlain fragrances, and I was stunned at how awful this turned out to be on me!

Popular Fragrances