Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto

Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto

3.8

I can't stop smelling the places that I spritzed this. It dries down to kind of a carmel-y vanilla base with a little kick/spiciness. My friend also couldn't stop sniffing me. She did ask me if it were Victoria Secret's Heavenly or Gucci Flora. I was kind of off-put by the Heavenly reference since that's one of my other friend's "signature scent" and I don't really like it on her...
I would say that it is a very nice scent but is it signature scent-ish? Not really--that's why I took off one lippie. You and people will remember that you smelled good, but there's not too much projection on this one. I have, however, been using it everyday since I got it.
It's too warm for humid/muggy days. I feel like on those kinds of days you need something crisper to counteract the weather.

Overall, a very warm sensual scent. Memorable? No...but still rather addictive.

EDIT: Upon reflection, you could probably mix a vanilla scent and something a little crisper from bath and body works and get the same effect...I don't really like that so I'll take it down another lippie.

Tried this at Ulta, smelled good on my sleeve. Even a week after spritzing, I can still get whiffs of it, very creamy with musk? I was trying to figure out the dry-down since it smelled very familiar and the result: Glade's Cashmere Woods air-freshner...no joke, go smell it for yourself!

Manifesto is a lovely scent. I don't normally wear florals, however this is such a smooth feminine scent, I'll find time to wear it. I spritzed some on at the perfume counter, and got two unsolicited compliments before I left the store, which is enough for me. One person told me that she doesn't normally like or wear perfume, but that this was lovely. It's not too fruity or sticky sweet, rather it's light, with just a hint of the jasmine...it does come across as a "purple" scent, if that makes sense. The dry down is especially nice...A particularly nice vanilla with some very light woods rounds it out, To me, there's not much throw, but as I received comments on it, it may be stronger than I can pick up. It will be a lovely summer perfume. It's not terribly unique and has rather ordinary notes, and may be "boring" to some, however it's so well done that it should judged on it's merits apart from the rest of the crowd.
.NOTE***** This review is for MANIFESTO. The system would not let me add to list of frags under YSL.

on 3/24/2013 5:49:00 PM

UPDATE: Hubby did give me this for our anniversary and I am over the moon. I love this scent so much! I stay with my below description. It's green, but not lettuce-smelling green (like a few I could mention). It's sweet, but not Aquolina Pink sweet (yuck!). It's a lovely fragrance for summer. For any time of the year, really. Yes, the bottle is tacky, but you don't have to carry it around, do you?

I got a good sample of this at Sephora. According to their site, the composition is this: Jasmine, Wood, Vanilla, Tonka Bean. I definitely smell the jas and the vanilla, and it's a match made in heaven. Sweet but not so much as to resemble candy floss. It's a greener, more grown-up sweet. Not as entrancing as the Maison de la Vanille stuff, but still, a very nice frag. I might ask hubby to give me this for our anniversary.

I too was a bit dismayed at the bottle. Then I looked at Niki Minaj, MJ's Dot, Betsy Johnson's black and pink tutu, and other similar bloody sacrifices made to the gods of bad taste and vulgarity, and suddenly the Manifesto bottle did not look too bad.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Every time I went to the mall, I had to spray this on. Love it, very sexy fragrance. I'm all about Tonka Bean, love Vanilla, and Jasmine is one of my favorites. My favorite perfume for the last few months has been Ralph Lauren Big Pony #2 in the pink bottle and it has Tonka Mousse. It has awesome lasting power and the bottle is adorable. I purchased a gift set that had the Eau de Parfum Spray, 3-oz. and Eau de Parfum Spray, 1-oz. for only $112 at Dillard's. The 3-oz. by itself is $102.

I love this fragrance....however, for a YSL price and high-end designer name I would expect a more elegant bottle. The bottle is quite tacky!

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I was surprised by this amiable fragrance, because it has a cool spiciness to it a kick that is against the current trends. Reminiscent of Armani She, but swaddled in a layer of powdery, warm caramel that we have seen recently in Lancome La Vie est belle, its both with the trend (gourmand, thickly sweet) and off the beaten track. Shows how generic the mainstream has got that a lick of spicy coolness can appear off the beaten track.
The scent this is most like, but a dramatic improvement on (probably down to the more expensive, better quality ingredients) is Beyonces Pulse. I liked Pulse, but in the end it turned my stomach with its cloyingly synthetic heart, though I appreciate it for daring to be a little different. I guess, then, that means Manifesto is a bit of a rip-off of a celebrity scent, but the soft, creamy, yumminess makes me forgive all.
Longevity is pretty good, sillage is better than average, and the overall vibe of Manifesto is drinks with girls after work: sexing up a work outfit with shirt buttons undone to the cleavage and a slick of neon lip.

on 2/5/2013 2:45:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I was very keen to try this scent when it came out. I was drawn to the purple colour they used as it's my favourite colour. The scent is not something usual and groundbreaking and It smells very familiar to me. I could somehow smell 3 different scents mingled together while I was wearing this, Addict by Dior (the slight greeness), Fantasy by Britney Spears (the sweetness) and Emporio Armani She/Elle/Lei (the powderiness). It didn't smell exactly like any of these in particular, but I could just smell wafts that reminded me of these throughout the day. I do really like this, it's a wearable and lovely, good quality, long lasting scent that I would say could be worn casually or for a night out. I'll definitely wear what I have.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I can't remember the last time YSL produced a decent frag, or a fragrance that it worth to be called so. It's been ages, probably since Opium Fleur de Shanghai (2005) or Nu (2001). After that time, we got only mainstream, fruity sirupy florals without any originality or personality, frargances made to please the big audience. And disappoint real fragrance lovers!
Manifesto is no change from the trend YSL parfums is in.
A very sweet opening (blackcurrant) that goes into an overly sweet jasmine. I cannot detect any lily of the valley (one of my favoutie notes) although it is mentioned in the official notes.
It's bold, very in your face, after some hours on the skin it develops a gourmand facet that could please many, but not me. I find it intrusive and unappealing. Lacks of sobriety and elegance.
For me it's definitely a no.
___________________________________
Notes:

Top: Blackcurrant, Green Notes
Heart:Jasmine, Lily-of-the-Valley
base:Vanilla, Sandalwood, Atlas Cedar, Tonka Bean

on 1/18/2013 7:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

So disappointed. I have been waiting for so long for this to be released in New Zealand. It is in the same vein as Flowerbomb and La vie Est Belle but softer and slightly smoother. I was expecting something to wow me coming from the house that created Opium but along with diluting that masterpiece it seems they are now just pleasing their board of directors and following the current trend of fruitchoulli.. I love the bottle, although others think its tacky. Never mind, I will be saving up for their forever youth serum so they haven't lost me completely as a fan, just no fan of their fragrances anymore.

Popular Fragrances