LORAC PRO Palette

LORAC PRO Palette
Lorac Pro PaletteUDD and Lorac PalettePRO PalettePRO PalettePRO Palette

4.5

Overall this is probably my favorite pallete I own,which is saying a lot considering how many I have in my collection haha. I use this pallete consistently everyday, for my its the perfect warm pallete, the shades are pigmented and buttery for the exception a few of the dark mattes can be a bit patchy but it's a easy fix with blending. Really love this pallete!

on 11/28/2015 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I'm going to break this review into a few categories:

Packaging: I enjoy the slim, compact size of the palette. The magnetic closure and cardboard are lightweight but do a good job of protecting the shadows- I'm not afraid that they're going to shatter when I travel. The coating is rubberized and does attract dirt and fingerprints, which is something to consider if that bothers you. The mirror also lays very close to the shadows and tends to get dirty quickly. I don't mind these things- it makes the palette look well-loved.

Value: This is slightly cheaper than most mainstream palettes given the number of shadows (16), but the overall weight included is slightly less. Also, due to the texture, you do go through these faster than you would with a harder shadow. You get a good range of neutral colors so if you're just starting out and experimenting, I think this is a great price for the number of shadows. It also comes with an eyelid primer, which works fantastically for dry skin. I get 12 hours out of my shadows with this primer and I'm just finishing the tube after 10 months of 3-4x weekly use.

Quality of shadows: The top row of mattes are extremely soft and buttery, blend nicely, and have full pigment. If you are a bit rough, these can kick up extra powder- so be careful and make sure to tap off any excess you pick up. Because they are so soft and powdery, you go through the base & transition shades quite quickly. With daily use, you could go through Taupe or Mauve in about 2-3 months.
The bottom row of shimmers is slightly less consistent. Overall they are smooth & buttery with the exception of Champagne, which is chunky and has a lot of fallout. Nude, Gold, Lt. Bronze, and Slate are all richly pigmented and smooth, and they show up true to color. Pewter, Garnet, and Deep Purple have a nice texture but are not as pigmented and don't show up true to color on the lid.

Overall: This is a great palette for beginners that want to upgrade and get a set of high quality, blendable neutrals. While it's not the most inspiring palette, it does contain some of my favorite matte shadows. If the darker shimmery shades were replaced with higher impact colors it would be so much more fun to use. The pans are shallow and easy to use up. It's very compact and good for travel, and I love the primer it comes with.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is my favorite palette EVER. I spent dozens of trips to sephora and Ulta comparing eyeshadow formulas and color combinations before deciding to buy this one and I'm so happy I did. I wear boring neutral looks and this is the palette just for that. The eyeshadows are so soft and blendable, and so so opaque(including the black). When you barely dip a brush in the powder it picks it up like magic because it's so soft. I also love how there is a mixture of warm and cool. My only teeniest complaint is that the packaging gets pretty dirty due to the cardboard. I'd prefer a metal or plastic palette. Also, if you want a more create palette with less boring colors, this is not for you.

on 11/20/2015 11:12:00 PM

SUMMARY/VERDICT:
I bought the Lorac Pro palette, my second mid-brand palette, because I thought I needed a true neutrals palette. And Pro does exactly that. The problem is that it does very little else.

Suffice it to say that the Lorac Pro palette is just very uninspiring. With some palettes, you look at the eyeshadows and immediately pull together a very nice look. Maybe it's my skin (fair-medium Asian neutral golden), but the Pro palette just didn't let me put together looks without help from other palettes. The quality is certainly there; it just wasn't very special. It's like going to a fancy restaurant with no extraordinary dishes. You shelled out a ton of money, sure the food's good, but you're kind of regretting that you didn't try that Japanese/Moroccan/Afghan restaurant down the street.

Buy it if...
You don't have any other neutral palettes.
You're an absolute noob in makeup
You love to work with browns and warm colors
You like to vary things up every day by using slightly different shadows
You have pale or fair skin
You want a safe gift for somebody who's into makeup

Don't buy it if...
You already have even just one or two other neutral palettes
You like pops of colors or non-brown shades
You don't like warm colored makeup
You tend to prefer to use a select few shades at one time
You have dark skin
You're looking for something that'll blow your mind

PALETTE QUALITY
First of all, the shadows are across the board very nice to work with. The top 8 eyeshadows are all mattes and the bottom shades are all shimmers. Both of them, on the whole, are smooth and easy to work with -- with the exception of the one glitter shade Champagne, which has some unappetizing fallout. The shadows do tend to be a little powdery, but it's nothing that will really affect you much, unless you're accustomed to stabbing your brush into the pan.

If you're looking for Stila Kitten style shimmers -- i.e. bold, glamorous, and ultra-shimmery -- you're not going to get it here. These shimmers tend to be on the softer side, which for some people might work well, but I personally rely on a good bold shimmer to get that inner corner sparklin'. However, if you like softer, more subtle shimmers, these are the ones for you.

The mattes are fairly smooth and pigmented, except for (ironically) Black, which is actually kind of lame -- workable, but still lame. These are workhorse mattes, and if you had money to burn, I could see why you'd be attracted to the mattes.

COLOR SELECTION:
Here is where I think the Pro palette fails the hardest. Many shades are near dupes of each other (White/Cream/Light Pink, Nude/Champagne, Black/Grey/Dark Purple). You're paying for 16 different shades, but in practicality, you're really getting just 11. I would have much preferred it if they had made the colors less similar -- for example, make the dark purple less purple, exchange the champagne for a silver, etc.

This very warm-leaning palette is filled with creams, true browns, a couple of pinkish-browns, and one or two greys and reds. I would say that 6 are light colors, 6 are medium colors, and 4 are dark colors -- so definitely angled towards a very "daily look" aesthetic. In fact, it's so "daily look" that it's reached the point where the color selection is the stereotype of a "daily look" palette. And that's the Achilles heel of the palette. You can play with the colors all you like, but in the end, you're only really going to get two looks -- either a very brown smokey eye or neutral "daily" looks of slight variation.

I also have qualms as to whether people of color would be able to benefit much from this palette. I'm fair-medium, angling more on the fair, and even with a primer and base, the shadows don't really show up much on me; nor is there really much variation even in the colored shades (e.g. Pewter and Garnet aren't THAT different). On pale skin I'm sure it would be more noticeable. I doubt medium-dark skin would benefit much -- but don't take it from me.

COST/CASE/PRESENTATION:
When you buy the Pro palette, it comes in a sleek looking cardboard box with a small Lorac primer sample. It's elegant enough and certainly not cheap looking. The palette is slim, sleek, and well designed. You're definitely getting your money's worth, aesthetically.

The case itself is rubberized cardboard. Many people rant about it because it does attract dust, fingerprints, and eyeshadow residue, but that's never really been a big thing for me. There is a nice large mirror inside the case, above the eyeshadows.

Now I do have issues with the size of the pans, which are penny-sized. It's kind of like paying $42 dollars for a sample of 16 small appetizers. To eat all of them would take you a while, sure. But you're naturally going to prefer some appetizers (like Nude, Light Bronze, or Taupe), and you're probably not going to eat much of some others (like Black, Slate, White, and Deep Purple). A sampler is great for a beginner in makeup or someone with very few makeup palettes. But if you already know what you want or what looks good with you, why bother?

CONCLUSION:
If you're willing to spend $42 for a sampler of neutral shadows, then go for it. If you're a beginner at makeup, this is certainly a good mid-range starter. And the colors will work even better with fair/pale skin.

But otherwise -- not to diss the quality of the shadows -- you're probably better off spending your money on a palette with fewer colors, but more shades that you'll use, and more variety of looks.

on 11/2/2015 5:56:00 PM

If I had to describe this palette in three words, it would be long-lasting, blendable, and pigmented. A little goes a long way; just the slightest dip of my makeup brush holds more than enough pigment. I love blending Sable and Espresso together to deepen the outer half of my eye, and Light Bronze is just the perfect base shade that I'm almost completely out of at this point.

I would say that this palette is more pigmented than the Urban Decay Naked Palettes, although I do prefer the variety of shades in the Naked Palettes. Either way, the Lorac Pro Palette is a high quality product that I would recommend.

This and the second one are my two favorite eye shadow palettes!!!! I like them ever more than the....Urban Decay palettes...😁. They just have so much versatility and looks within them it makes me use them every day!

on 10/23/2015 8:31:00 AM

I would give this a 3.5 or even a 3.75 if I could. I do like this, but for my purposes it is not really an ideal palette. I love the LORAC shadow formula, but because a lot of these colors are mid tones, it is very easy to get muddy looks with this. I also think the colors with the exception of gold, garnet, and light bronze (these are are some of the standout shades) run on the cool side, and I just don't like that with my coloring. It is not the most flattering on me.

I do really like the mid tone mattes and all of the dark colors, so that is a plus. Taupe and mauve are great transition shades. I do love pewter, because it is a nice mix of gray and brown without turning plum (this is a huge issue with me and taupes) and I love how slate and purple are dark shimmers that blend well without fallout.

My biggest issues are the light colors. There are too many. White is too stark for my uses, but good if you want a pigmented white. Cream and light pink are nice base shades, but I really don't need two base shades in a palette that are so close to each other. Nude and champagne are huge fails on me. Both are very similar and very frosty light colors. They appear to be a white frost on me. I need some color with lighter shades, these wash me out. Champagne has the added sin of glitter fallout. The light shades in Pro 2 are an excellent example of making lighter shades that still have differences on my skin, and I was so disappointed because Nude and Champagne do look beautiful in the pan.

Overall, I far prefer Pro 2 because of the versatility. If you like the color selection in this palette it is a good choice because the LORAC formula is amazing, but beware that the first four to five colors on the left are all very similar.

on 9/26/2015 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hate this palette! So disappointed. Don't know if I got a faulty one or if it really is awful. The eyeshadow shades look gorgeous and really pigmented in the pan, however, on application I found them to be chalky and really bland 😕😕😕

on 10/4/2015 6:52:00 PM

First of all, I'm Canadian, so Lorac products are extremely difficult for me to get. Putting that aside, I saw the reviews on this palette, so I knew I had to get it one way or another.

The shadows are so soft, and I love the idea of a row of matte and a row of shimmer. Everything shows up so well, even the lighter mattes. I always use eyeshadow primer, because it helps with the application and longevity of products. These shadows last all day and don't get muddy. There is quite a bit of fallout, so I took off a lippie for that. Otherwise, this is an amazing palette for a great price. My only wish is that the palette could clip close instead of having a magnetic clasp. I'm always worried it'd slip open or something.

Definitely get the palette if you can afford it!

on 10/13/2015 5:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

PROS:
extremely pigments
easy to blend

CONS:
an extreme amount of fall out
= very messy
i don't like the design of the palette as it gets your fingerprints all over it
boring colors - good for people who are new to makeup
don't really use it often as my other palettes are way better
doesn't complement my hazel eyes
don't like the palette in general.