e.l.f. Studio High Definition Powder

4.1

on 11/15/2016 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is a lovely finely milled powder that works as well as high end. I have super oily peri-menopausal skin; I use this after my primer BEFORE my foundation, then after to set everything. My makeup lasts so much longer before it breaks down (I get a good 10 hours out of most foundations). The act that it 's super cheap is just an extra bonus.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Only works for baking under the eyes looks horrid allover the face but elf has an actual under eye powder which is way better

the setting powder worked ok. it didn't crease, but it made me look cakey. the worst part is the packaging. omg. if you're not super careful there will be powder EVERYWHERE. it's so messy and wasteful. don't buy this. nyc translucent powder is so much better and it's cheaper.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

very fine milled powder , works great for setting my foundation, doesn't make me look pale . it's a great price for what you get i just wish the sifter was a twist shut like bare minerals or even the ulta mineral foundation because God forbid this thing to be tossed around in a hand bag a few times lol

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have tried many a loose powder and have rarely been disappointed, but this powder is probably the quickest to use, in terms of mattyfing and setting foundation/contour. It picks up easily and evenly and you don't need to layer it on heavily for it to set the face. It is silica-based, which makes it a little lighter than talc powder and less prone to cakeyness. It creates a very smooth base for your other powder makeup (bronzer, contour, blush) to grab onto and blend out evenly on.
I use a big powder brush or kabuki brush to apply this and "bake" my undereyes with it. It is white, but once blended out it is totally translucent and does not cast a "white mask" over the face like some translucent powders do. It is truly translucent and did help keep my foundation/concealer on my face for a solid 8 hours without it becoming greasy or separating.
The price is very low, and you get a hefty amount of product for the price. I don't use the powder puff included, but sometimes they work well to apply powder evenly so I'll give it a shot next time. The case it comes in is bulky, like all loose powders, but it is a twist-off lid so it feels more secure than other drugstore loose powders.
Overall I am very pleased and impressed with how well this powder applied and how matte but breathable it is. It doesn't look cakey even after hours of wear, so I will definitely continue to use and repurchase!

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have some experience with translucent setting powders but mostly pressed. I wanted something different to try so I picked this up recently at CVS because I had a coupon. Previously, I was using Coty Air Spun which is a great powder but I like to constantly try new things. Coty on the other hand is a talc based powder which I find works better for my skin in the warmer months for keeping my face shine free. However, in the fall and winter, I can get dehydrated so I find a silica based powder like this ELF one better. I'm someone with pretty oily skin so I can get away with using either a talc or silica powder. But, talc can be drying especially if you overdo it. In comparison to my other silica based loose powders which are NARS light reflecting and MUFE HD, I much prefer ELF! I find that the ELF powder provides better oil control than the NARS and MUFE. I especially love using this powder to set concealer as well. My makeup does not budge when using this powder! It's not as finely milled as NARS or MUFE but it's not chalky at all. It still goes on smooth.

I guess I only have three minor complaints. 1. As with most silica translucent powders, it will give off flashback in photos so be mindful not to put too much on. 2. I hate the powder puff. Too bulky and thick. 3. The same can be said about the packaging (too bulky) and I don't care for the screw cap.

on 9/19/2016 3:05:00 PM

I use this powder mainly to create slip over an eyeshadow base. I start with my primer, usually a paint pot or concealer, and set it with this. Eyeshadow glides on smoothly and as long as I'm using a reliable palette, the colors blend beautifully without making a muddy mess.

I have tried it to set my face and undereye and it really highlights fine lines, even when I set it with spray. The flashback is another downfall. It is extremely messy but when working with powder this fine, it comes with the territory.

I would replace it only if I lost it, because I'll probably never run out. The value on this product is amazing.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

First I'll start off with the packaging. It comes in a black box like container that twists off and on. On the inside there is a powder puff and there is a sifter to keep powder from making a mess. The package is kind of big and bulky so its not really good for putting in your purse. I am ok with the packaging. So the powder I have is the white translucent one. I really really love this powder. I use it to set my entire face (I am light skinned) after applying foundation and concealer. At first when I put it on, you can see it on my face but then it just melts into my skin. And you can't even tell I have powder on my face. I do not get a white cast at all. The powder is very finely milled. It feels so soft and velvety. This is the best powder I have ever used. I do not know what I would do if this was ever discontinued. This is something I use everyday. This makes my makeup look flawless. It helps my foundation and concealer stay in place ALL DAY LONG. I use a large flat kabuki brush and just press it into my skin. It has no odor to it at all. You also get a lot of product. I only paid $6 so it is so affordable. This is a permanent staple product in my makeup bag and routine.

This ELF Loose Finishing powder is definitely one of my Holy Grail for sure. I have been a MUA for 3 years now, and I first tried Laura Mercier's finishing powder and with me being pale most of the time throughout the year, it was too yellow on my skin. So I decided to go for a white finishing powder instead. I was going to purchase the MAC Prep + Prime loose finishing powder but I read in the ingredients it has talc in it (which laura's did as well) and surprisingly I bought the ELF one because I was out, and decided to give it a a try. For one, it doesn't have talc in it (talc is an ingredient that can be toxic to the body; known to cause ovarian cancer) and it was only $6 vs. $25 or $38.

PROS: -Money Saver! $6!
- Bakes VERY WELL!!!
-GREAT FOR PALE GIRLS!
-Lasts me at least 2 months :)

CONS: None for me personally.

I didn't think I would end up loving this one the most but ELF; you got me hooked <3

on 8/16/2016 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Nice product, close to my HG powder which is the NYX one, but I wish the packaging was different. I have no idea how to improve it as all of the loose powders seem to have this flaw, but if only the packaging weren't so terrible (as in, it gets product everywhere), I'd rate this higher. That being said, there are other loose powders with worse packaging so that part is a universal issue.

Not as finely milled as the NYX powder in my opinion, but truly translucent, which is great. Requires a little more blending than the NYX but not much, and truly does set my makeup for most of the day. Nice product overall.