Calvin Klein Infinite Matte Oil Free Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

Calvin Klein Infinite Matte Oil Free Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

3.9

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua/Water/Eau, Isododecane, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Trimethylolpropane Triisostearate, Polysilicone-11, Dimethicone/Divinyldimethicone/Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Glycerin, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Centella Asiatica Extract, Camellia Sinensis Extract, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Tocopherol, Lecithin, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Sodium Chloride, Oryza Sativa Starch, Methylparaben, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Propylene Carbonate, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Butylparaben, Polysorbate 20, Sorbitan Laurate, Carbomer, Hexyl Laurate, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate /- (May Contain/Peut Contenir) Ci 77491, 77492, 77499/Iron Oxides Ci 77891/Titanium Dioxide.

on 10/26/2008 9:32:00 AM

I am like everyone else here always searching for my HG fountain and like the reviewer below me, trying this and that. Well, ck Calvin Klein is great for my skin. It gives it a matte finish but keeps my 44 yr old skin moist! Blush sits on it well and it stays all day. I definitely will buy this again. I highly recommended.

on 7/31/2008 4:12:00 PM

After graduating one child and finding ourselves a wee more cash flush than the past four years, I decided to treat myself to some high-end cosmetic products. I happened upon the new Calvin Klein Beauty line (did he not have one previously? I seem to recall Calvin Klein beauty products in the past. Hmmm....) and fell in love with the packaging on this foundation (I'm such a sucker for gorgeous packaging). It's a sleek, capped, rectangular pump bottle designed to look like glass, but really a quality clear plastic outer sleeve with another clear inner compartment for the foundation (tricksey marketers, trying to make us think there's more product than there is...), capped off with a shiny black top. The foundation comes in a limited yet gorgeous array of colors (I purchased in the lightest, cream, which is a lovely fair neutral-warm tone). I've only been testing it out for a day, but it's a hot, hot, super-humid day in Nuevo York, so if it survives this, then it can survive anything. It's smooth and light, matte, but not chalky or dry looking, Perfect for me. At 47, "dewy" is a disaster, but ultra-matte is even worse. Natural, barely-there, less-is-more type coverage works best at this age, IMO, and this does the trick. Still need a hint of powder on any oilier areas of the face, but it sets up fairly well without. The line includes a powder foundation (again, limited but truly beautiful colors) which is definitely too heavy to use as a finishing powder, and also offers a loose mineral powder in one color, but does not include a true finishing powder at all, unfortunately.

Anyway, so far, so good -- wears well, feels good, beautiful packaging, beautiful texture, beautiful colors -- only caveat is the fleeting odor -- reminiscent of the latex paint odor of the original Almay longwearing makeup from way back when. It does dissipate almost immediately, however, so it's not much of an issue. Price at Sephora on 5th Ave was $32.00 or $32.50, IIRC, which isn't really that bad given how expensive drugstore foundations can be these days, and given the slew of $60, $80 and higher department store foundations on the market.

The rest of this line, btw, looks beautiful -- very pretty blushes and lipsticks, a couple of glosses if you like those, some nice eyeshadows -- very nice stuff all around.

I have oily/combo skin with large pores and some blemish issues sometimes. Like the previous reviewer, I have a lot of trouble finding great matches in foundation. Chanel, Clinique, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Origins-- none of them have a shade light enough for me in any of their formulations. But I'm not deathly ghost-white, though. I'm starting to realize that my problem is that I'm very fair and a true neutral-- my undertones are neither pink nor yello. Just light, light beige. So I've been resorting to mixing up my own combinations from loose mineral foundations (Aromaleigh). This works pretty well but it is time consuming and let's just say my chemistry skills are kind of weak so sometimes the concoctions turn out well and other times they do not.

OK, enter CK Infinite Matte in Porcelain. I had a sample back in December that I used up. When it was used up (a week or two), I didn't have time to go get a new bottle so I went back to my powder mixing. After returning to that process, I MADE the time to go purchase a bottle of Infinite Matte.

This foundation is dense with pigment and seems a little stiff (i.e. not runny). I only need one pump to cover my whole face. It is as perfect a color match as I have ever exprienced in a liquid foundation. Application is smooth and even. It even does a good job of evening out my pores Layering powder or concealer or both on this works fine. It doesn't cake up or oxidize throughout the day and wears wonderfully. I blot a lot less with this foundation and it doesn't break up or lift off my t-zone as the day unfolds. Just solid, high-quality performance.

Formulation-wise, I do have an issue with the silicones. 90% of the foundations out there now have them and I understand why. Personally, I have better skin when I avoid them as much as possible. This foundation contains a virtual cocktail of silicones (ingredients below) and for that reason, I'm reluctant to use it every day although I'd like to. I live in a tropical area and I'm just too afraid of wrecking my skin with the silicones and humidity combining on my skin. I'll add that I appreciate the addition of many beneficial elements to this formula-- vitamin C, peptides, antioxidants. That's good, of course, but it doesn't solve my silicone problem.

I have a hard time deciding whether or not to complain about the packaging because it has positive and negative points. The pump packaging is hygenic and solid-- very solid. It is a large chunky bottle. Now, this has its benefits: I feel like the $32 is worth it for the generous amount that is in the bottle, even if dropped, this thing will survive without any trouble. The drawbacks of the bottle design? It is clunky and not easy to travel with and it takes up a lot of room in my makeup bag, even when I'm home.

One serious drawback is the lack of any SPF. I prefer it in a foundation so I don't have to layer product upon product in this climate where I live. It just feels heavy. I imagine that the addition of sunscreen to this formula, though, might cause a change in the finish I love so much.

Overall, this is a little of a give and take as you can see. I use this foundation as much as I dare, making sure to remove completely and I'm fine. I suppose it's a testament to the superior finish and quality of this foundation that I use it and rate it a 5 despite some of the drawbacks I've noted. I use it when I want to look my best and I believe I will continue to use it for a long time to come.

INGREDIENTS: Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua/Water/Eau, Isododecane, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Trimethylolpropane Triisostearate, Polysilicone-11, Dimethicone/Divinyldimethicone/Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Glycerin, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Centella Asiatica Extract, Camellia Sinensis Extract, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Tocopherol, Lecithin, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Sodium Chloride, Oryza Sativa Starch, Methylparaben, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Propylene Carbonate, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Butylparaben, Polysorbate 20, Sorbitan Laurate, Carbomer, Hexyl Laurate, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate +/- (May Contain/Peut Contenir) Ci 77491, 77492, 77499/Iron Oxides Ci 77891/Titanium Dioxide.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I was so excited when I saw this at Sephora because their lightest shade was a perfect match for me (and that's no small feat when you are as pale as I am)! I loved the name because it implied that there would be some oil control (it's named Infinite Matte after all). Best of all, it's totally unscented which is wonderfully refreshing (it smells nice and clean). It even feels nice and clean but the coverage just wasn't there. I was so disappointed because I loved the fresh feeling and the beautiful pale shade and even the pump was a pleasure to use, but my make up was sliding off my face in less than an hour. I had to put on two coats to get any kind of coverage (which I could have lived with if the foundation had only lasted longer on my face).

I know that no foundation is going to keep your face dry if you are as oily as I am, but this offered next to nothing by way of coverage. It kept sliding off my face no matter what primer I tried underneath. I realized today that with all of the foundations I've tried this past year, nothing stays on my skin better than Estee Lauder's Double Wear in Shell (which is only one of three foundations in the world that even match my skin). I guess I was trying to find something more natural looking, but the truth is no such animal exists if you are as oily as I am and actually need full coverage. I guess it's back to Double Wear for me (at least with Double Wear I don't have to keep blotting and reapplying all day long). My day is hectic enough. I do think this is lovely foundation and probably ideal for people with combo skin and very little redness (I notice that no matter how much I put on, it does not cover the redness of my nose and putting on concealer only makes my nose oilier so I didn't want to have to do that). With EL's Double Wear, I get total coverage and it even stays on my nose pretty well. God I hate returning this to Sephora. I love the color and the fresh feeling of this foundation but I need real coverage and better oil control. (sigh).